Mitsubishi 5500 $2,499MSP - Page 81 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2401 of 2411 Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
mulox -- Remember, the remote has 2 different power buttons. The one on the left edge turns the HC5500 "On" and the one to its right (the middle of the top 3 buttons) is used to turn the HC5500 "Off" (you have to push it twice). Nothing will happen if you try to use the remote's "On" button to try to turn it "Off".

The single power button on the top of the PJ needs to be pushed twice, also, to turn it Off. See pages 23 & 24 of the manual, to refresh your memory.

This is easy to forget, if you haven't been using the PJ for a while. It caught me off guard once (brain fade), after we were on a vacation trip for a month and a half.

PS -- Occasionally, my remote buttons don't seem to work. I have to make sure that the remote is pointed square to the screen. Otherwise, the IR signal doesn't hit the sensor on the front of the HC5500.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2411 Old 08-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Liked: 10
I'm nearing 5000 hours on my 5500 so it's time to replace the lamp. The question is, should I upgrade the projector instead? Thoughts?
post #2403 of 2411 Old 10-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Well a good 2 1/2 years out of this thing and I think it may be toast

I shouldn't have more than 2500 hours on this lamp(low) but now it won't even turn on at all.....

Gonna try a bulb replacement, if not Mitsu wants $60 just to diagnose it.
post #2404 of 2411 Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

I shouldn't have more than 2500 hours on this lamp(low) but now it won't even turn on at all.....

I guess it depends on if you have the lamp set to low or high. It gets 5,000+ hours when set to low setting and about 2,500+ at high setting. 2 1/2 yrs sounds pretty good as far as time goes

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #2405 of 2411 Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

My bulb just went out too - approx 2500 hours and 3 years of use.
post #2406 of 2411 Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Replaced the lamp and it works again

Odd that there was no warning or anything. Watched a movie in the morning, turned it on at night and it was not turning on. Glad its working again. New lamp is super bright. Looks like new again.

Hopefully this new lamp will get another 3-4 years out of this projector.
post #2407 of 2411 Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
mr stroke,
Where did you get the lamp from.

post #2408 of 2411 Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayna_95 View Post

I'm nearing 5000 hours on my 5500 so it's time to replace the lamp. The question is, should I upgrade the projector instead? Thoughts?

That's a decision that only you can make. I bought a spare lamp (from a fellow AVS member), with the idea of keeping mine for another 2-3 years (I have ~3300 low lamp hours on mine, since Nov. 2008). It's been an excellent PJ for me.

So far, only the more expensive Sony HW30 (LCoS) and Panasonic AE7000 (LCD) have tweaked my interest (both 3D capable). I was interested in the Mitsubishi HC7800 (DLP), but the reports of its inadequate lens shift has soured me on it.

I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. After about 6 months of reading the AVS threads on the HC5500 made it a good choice for me. I want to do the same on the Sony and Panasonic models. The AE7000 is the best fit, but the "glowing" posts in that thread have me worried ("too good to be true" syndrome).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #2409 of 2411 Old 01-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Well, I bought mine in Nov. 2008, so have a little over 3 years on it now, and have used mine in low lamp mode exclusively for about 1,500 hours. About 2 months ago my wife was complaining about the picture being very dark in darker movies with a lot of night shots and dark scenes (fine in day scenes) so I started using "normal mode" for about the last 100 hours or so (I have a Da-lite High Power 2.8 screen btw).

Well I don't know if switching to normal mode has accelerated the life of my lamp, but it is not throwing any light when powering it on now. Fortunately I did invest in a spare lamp 2 years ago, but with only 1,500 hours logged + 100 in normal mode, it seems VERY premature to be the lamp... so I am reading the troubleshooting guide in the user manual now, but if anyone has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Just don't want to swap the lamp out unless I am certain that is the cause...

EDIT: After 1 minute of powering on, the power light goes steady red, and status blinks green. The manual says:
CONDITION: The protection circuit is working or the lamp is in an abnormal condition.
SOLUTION: Wait until the STATUS indicator goes out, then press the POWER button.
If the above solution is not effective, replace the lamp.

UGH!! This sucks, because I had a power outage a few months ago and my backup UPS battery connected to projector just died and had to replace it. I didn't think anything about potential damage to the PJ since I have watched 50+ movies on it since that outage... so is my only option to replace the bulb now??? Is there a way to reset the protection circuit? I have read online that it could be a bad ballast lamp power unit, since the hours of usage are so low. Seems there is a way to reset the lamp operation time without replacing the lamp, but don't know how safe this is... ?
post #2410 of 2411 Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have had my 5500 for almost 2 yrs now and still doing good. Crazy question. Thought I heard someone talking about software or firmware upgrades the other day at a store. Is there such a thing for the 5500? If so, how do you go about it? If not, chalk it up to a crazy question.

Mitsubishi HC5500 Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
post #2411 of 2411 Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 AM

I am now on my 2nd lamp, which has about 1900 hours over 19 months (all low lamp mode) and tonight I just had a repeat of an incident I had on the last lamp... the unit simply refused to power off no matter what I did.

I just finished watching a 2 hour movie, so it's not like I was running it long/hot. My sequence for shutdown is always the same... (even on the last lamp):

1. First I power off the Netgear NeoTV
2. Next I power off my Onkyo receiver
3. Last I walk over the PJ and press the power button on the unit twice- in this case pressing it repeatedly a dozen times, then pressing the OFF button on the remote control twice, then a few more times

The only clue I have on finding the root cause is that during my shutdown sequence, after powering off the Onkyo, the image on the screen went black instead of the normal blue. Light was still coming out of the PJ, but it was all black. The fan would blow for about 5 seconds, then pause and repeat in an endless loop. It's as if it was out of sync or lost a signal. I checked my HDMI connections on both ends, and powered the Onkyo and Netgear back up... no change. Turned them all off... no change. Finally just had to pull the plug on it so I could go to bed.

If you look at my previous post above (#2402) this same exact thing happened again on 8/6/2011 on my 1st lamp at about 1500 hours. I can't believe I am the only one experiencing this glitch.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5500 1080p Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page