**The Official: "I am so freaking happy I got a projector" Thread** - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 179 Old 12-09-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

We've only been in our New Home for a couple months now,
but I started immediately throwing a make-shift Home Theater together in the unfinished basement.

We have been showing friends and family our new home, but I'm always very reserved about mentioning ANYTHING about what lurks below downstairs...
and nobody expects much from the short time we've been living there.

Word's cannot describe the looks on the faces when guests go down the stairs open the door and turn the corner ...

I just smile, and start giggling uncontrollably like a little school girl
and say yes I know, I know...

Then when I tell them how much it cost (less than my last Plasma TV)
it happens all over again.

I LOVE my Basement man-cave, and apparently so does everyone else. It's like a Black Hole that sucks everyone in and no one wants to leave once they sit down.
Instead of just showing the basement and going back upstairs, we usually spend the next 3 or 4 hours in the Theater.

HELLO TEASE... where's the pics of the theater!?!?!?

I don't own my 1080UB... it owns me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 179 Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 PM

Even with a hair inside my lens I still love my projector (it went luckily went away after about a week or two though). I love this forum but man does my wallet hate this place though. Thank god I live with my parents because everytime I get a paycheck it is spent before the next one gets in. Either way, I don't care what ANYONE says, a front projector is currently the greatest thing ever! I use mine for playing PS3 and oh does it rock everything I've ever seen.

I'm only at 70-80" right now as I'm waiting to mount my manual 106" Accuscreen and my projector needs to be ceiling mounted but people still freak out when they come over, all I've got is an Optoma HD70. I can't imagine how insanely awesome the RS20 and Epson 7500 are. I really want an RS10 one day that's my realistic high end projector for when my HD70 doesn't wow me anymore (long time away!). Bought a receiver and 4 speakers just a week ago and I still need an amp for my eD 16oV2 along with 2 more speakers and a center! I just can't wait! Christmas shopping is getting in my money's way

And to imagine, the TV I was using the PS3 on before was a 30" JVC tube, the old ones with the curved glass. The TV that was in the room my projector is in now was a 27" Zenith (with super awesome extra thick SDE)!!! Holding out so long for something, and getting something this awesome (compared to what's available now, let alone what I had) was sooooo worth it. Even with daylight shining on the screen it is beyond mind blowing!

The way I found this forum? I was looking for the cheapest HDTV I could get to play PS3 on that was +30". The TV I was looking at? The Vizio VP322 HA! What a mistake that would have been! More than double the price but damn I certainly got MUCH more than double the display

Everytime I look at my projector I want to cry tears of joy
post #153 of 179 Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Ego View Post

It seems you would actually be the opposite of what we're goin' for in this thread. LMAO. There should be an Infocus thread, or if you can't find one create your own... but this is a happy place. Please don't harsh our happy place.

Ha Ha Ha. That's exactly what I thought when I popped the top on this thread. Looking for a little relief from some of the problems in other threads. Have a new PJ on the way. Should have it tomorrow.
post #154 of 179 Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yup. I smile when I'm in this thread. My head doesn't hurt. I don't have to scheme. I don't have to debate. I don't have to post my e-boner. I just smile 'cause we're all happy.

Freakin' Happy.

post #155 of 179 Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'll contribute a little bit. Sometime around the summer of last year, I was in the market for a new display as I was still using a 32" Toshiba sdtv (great sdtv by the way) and was starving for an hdtv. I spent time weighing my choices (on a small budget of course, about $1000) and being that I'd been sort of a crt snob (well...sort of...I like the other technologies too ), I decided on going with a plasma as I felt that a plasma would give me the most tube like image. Given that reasoning, the Panasonic 42-px80u became my target for high def glory, due to price mostly. After a little time spent saving up a few dollars to make my purchase, I stumbled upon the good ole' Digital Projectors- Under $3,000 USD MSRP thread . I had always been interested in projectors, and after reading up on numerous threads, I was somewhat shocked at the things being accomplished with so little funds and felt a sense of a new world being possible for my home theater. Needless to say, I had decided to go "big" with my entry into high def .

The research faze (sp?) was officially under way, and after some threads created and questions asked, I decided on the Sharp DT-510 ( if we weren't supposed to name particular projectors in this thread, I apologize). Unfortunately, I had been waiting a number of months to save money and upgrade my display, and the Sharp seemed to cost a little more than I had already saved up. Then to my surprise, a certain website had the Sharp going for an incredible price, most definitely for the amount of money I had saved up and I jumped on it. I was ecstatic, I was new to projectors and couldn't wait for my first "real" home theater experience to begin. I got the projector in a few days after ordering and couldn't wait to set it up, this was it, the moment I had been waiting for, my first "big screen". I set it up firing on a blank white wall and , the feeling was incredible, I was only projecting at around 62" and it felt huge to me, I loved it. The only problem, I realized I suffered from rbe, nooooooo! Was my "real" home theater experience threatened? Had I made a bad choice in choosing dlp? I hadn't seen any rbe on my friends 42" samsung dlp, what was going on? Well....that was near the beginning of November, and since then, the projector has been mounted, black cloth material has been put up around my room, a screen has been constructed, and I enjoy my 84" hd display everyday. Needless to say...."I am so freaking happy I got a projector!"
post #156 of 179 Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome post man - and yeah, you can say what projector you got - but no debating why one is better. Just the overall - OMG this is so much better than I thought it would be!!!

post #157 of 179 Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had a 60" Philips rear projection for a few years and was looking at various displays to upgrade to. First there was the 73" DLP RPTVs. They were around 3k and looked good and I was doing all sorts of research on them. Then the laservue came out, but it was way over my price range. I waited until CES to hope that either a large Kuro would be announced or Mits's new line. Unfortunately nothing was showed.

I then started looking into the Under 3k forum and found that I might even be able to do FP. I don't have a dedicated theater and would have to use my living room. I needed something with a lot of lumens and wanted 1080p. I ended up going with the Epson 6100 that met all of my requirements. It was probably the fastest purchase of electronics I have made, once I started researching pjs it was only a few days until I purchased. Glad I did...it's amazing! Nothing like it in the world. I completed my DIY DW laminate screen this past Saturday and my 125" of goodness is amazing. The first pic I had the flash on so you can see the screen. It is still very watchable and even looks good during daylight with lots of ambient light.

post #158 of 179 Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

HELLO TEASE... where's the pics of the theater!?!?!?

Time to bump this old thread back to the top!

It's been just about a year since I first posted in this thread,
Still going strong on my original bulb (Epson 1080UB) and Happier than ever with no problems at all.
(almost at 1000 hours, low lamp mode)
at this rate I'll likely upgrade my PJ before I need to use my freebie spare lamp.

Some of my favorite moments over the year have been watching the reaction of friends and family
who think their new big 50"/60" PanaSamSony TV is the Best home theater experience ever!...

Then I invite them to check out my little basement cave project...

Before:

After:

It's amazing what you can achieve with a paint roller, a staple gun, and a discount fabric store club card. Bookcases, shelves and lamps from IKEA.
I cant wait to move up to a larger home so I can fit more seats and 150" + screen next time.

I threw together a montage of my screen shots courtesy of Pixar and Dreamworks animation,
that best emulates the expressions on my guests faces when I drop the Big 120" screen in front of the witto 50" Kuro.

The kid's response is always the same

I think this one best sums up the adult responses when I tell them how cheap it can be done...

...followed immediately by the question, "So how soon can you hook a buddy up?"

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #159 of 179 Old 11-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

My brother and his wife visited some time back and we watched something, can't remember, on my old 4805 480p...it was all Wow! through the movie. I'm upgrading very soon...like before 2010. I just love having what is basically a 90in flat panel for a ridiculously low price. Love it.
post #160 of 179 Old 11-17-2009, 05:53 AM

I cannot agree more with this thread's title suggest. I always wanted to try out the front PJ system in my home theater. And now that I finally started to put together PJ, I don't think I will ever go back to stand alone TV system anymore. If you have space for PJ, this is definitely a way to go.
post #161 of 179 Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have to agree with the posters above who've said they watch less but get greater quality viewing time. I also find that now I put less hours on my pj than I used to on my rptv, but the quality of viewing is way greater. It's still an event to me to take the time and sit down. I don't just put movies on and walk away, now I actually see them from beginning to end. I won't go so far as to say I couldn't go back to a large rptv, but I certainly don't want to.

PioManiac, I got a great laugh out of your screenshots. They were very well chosen. I agree on the kids point of view, they all love watching a new Pixar or Dreamworks movie on my system here. I just bought Monsters Inc and Up and will be having a few more visit as soon as those movies get here.

I think half the fun is in the experience with other people. As much as I like my privacy and quiet, I have to say I also enjoy having company over and my new system (~5 mo old) makes it happen much more often. I bet my grocery bills have doubled since I got my pj. At this rate, the food will someday have cost more than the media room did. Movies become a dinner event as well as entertainment. And 8 or 10 people can go through a lot of Captain Morgan in a night!

When I began my remodel, I wired and set up for two orientations of the room. Later I even re-oriented my room so the picture could be seen better from the kitchen. I think my image gets more impressive from 20' or 30' away than it is close up.

They say to never say never, but I think I'm safe in saying I'll never be without a front projection system ever again. Flat screens are gonna have to come down in price about 95% (on big units) to get me to switch back. I just don't see the day coming where a direct view set will come close to the equivalent cost of a projected image per square foot. I also find that for long viewing sessions, my FP is way easier on my eyes (fatigue) than any LCD/Plazma has ever been.

Anxiously waiting for Star Trek to show up tonight! Must stop at the grocery store on the way home from work for snacks and food for the mob that'll surely show up! Ain't Front Projection wonderful!
post #162 of 179 Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 AM

First post and this thread is where I want to share my adventure. I got bitten by the projector bug about 14 yrs. ago at my brother-in-law's house. He couldn't get a big tv. down the stairs to his finished basement so he had a projector installed. It was stnd. def. on an 80 screen and I was hooked. Fast forward to about 4 yrs. ago when I started reading reviews on front projection and 720p machines. I decided on the Mits. HD1000 and a 100 screen, but our basement wasn't finished yet. By the time we could afford to have it finished, the HD1000 was replaced by the 1500, but I also noticed prices were dropping and 1080p was no longer out of reach. Well ten months ago I jumped into the world of front projection and picked up a BenQ w5000 and a 106 cinetension 2 matte white screen. I still can't stop smiling. When I tell family and friends about it, they just don't get it - until they see it. That's when I have to help them lift their jaws off the floor. Then when I tell them how little it cost, yup you guessed it, jaw lifting time again. It's not even a dedicated HT, just an open concept multi-purpose room. The end result is definitely worth all the research I had to do to get there. Thanks to all the people here on this forum and other review sites, my long time dream of having a home theatre became a reality.
I am so freaking happy I got a projector and then some!
post #163 of 179 Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Have to chime in with my $.02. I agree with everyone posting the need to lift their friends'/family's jaws off the ground.
The first reaction is always, "I can't believe how CLEAR it is?" Now I host about 99% of all movie nights and get togethers, not to mention the nights dedicated to gaming. Movies and sports aside, gaming on a pj is as close to nirvana I have experienced.
I will never go again without a front projection system and when others tell me about the awesome 52" big screen they just got, I laugh a little inside and think, "How adorable."
post #164 of 179 Old 11-18-2009, 06:52 PM

I started with an Infocus x1 three years ago. Then came the AX200 two years ago, last year I stepped up to the AE3000. Three weeks ago my AE4000 came and so the adventure continues. I now have the AX200 in my man cave, the X1 is in the garage so I've got three FP systems in my home. I'm at the point now that I'm spreading the gospel to my friends and family. I just completed a theater for my niece and I'm working on one for my sister in law. Front projection is the only way to really enjoy movies and sports.

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #165 of 179 Old 11-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujee1 View Post

I started with an Infocus x1 three years ago. Then came the AX200 two years ago, last year I stepped up to the AE3000. Three weeks ago my AE4000 came and so the adventure continues. I now have the AX200 in my man cave, the X1 is in the garage so I've got three FP systems in my home. I'm at the point now that I'm spreading the gospel to my friends and family. I just completed a theater for my niece and I'm working on one for my sister in law. Front projection is the only way to really enjoy movies and sports.

Your next upgrade and you can move the x1 to the bathroom, the 200 to the kitchen, and the 4000 to the bedroom
post #166 of 179 Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been just blown away by having a pj (HD65 Optoma)in home the last couple of weeks!!! A good friend of mine came over to check it out about two weeks ago. He was absolutely floored by how good this little guy looked.

Guess what... last night I was helping him get his unit setup. We still have to mount the pj on the ceiling and get the Cat5 to HDMI baluns hooked up. 4 O'clock this morning he was in shock at how the BenQ W6000 looked playing on his new 106 inch screen with no calibration, while operating on top of some boxes and a chair.

The W6000 is one sharp and bright PJ...colors looked awesome as well!
post #167 of 179 Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Awesome. Strongly considering the little w1000(budget) for some new Wow factor! of my own...and with family of course.
post #168 of 179 Old 11-19-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah if the W1000 is anything like its big brother, you'll get plenty of wow and pop. The W6000 is a light cannon no doubt about it! I already know what brand of PJ will be my next. I don't want to go backwards in brightness. Even though the HD65 is a budget PJ..its still a light cannon compared to a large number PJs in best mode. The W6000 is a beast in this area!!!
post #169 of 179 Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 PM

my projector has over 9000 hours and still looks great hc1500u.
post #170 of 179 Old 11-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Just had to add an experience from last night.

I had my friend over along with his 8 and 10 year old son. As soon as they came in and saw the screen they were all smiles. Their dad had told them ahead of time about my theater and they had a list of scenes from movies they wanted to see. After some Star Wars, Transformers, etc., we watch Star Trek and they loved every minute. They were literally jumping up and down cheering and saying, "This is awesome" about every five minutes.

Then... we played some Xbox360 and that joy increased exponentially.

I think by the end I heard them referring to me as Uncle Bill.

Totally awesome experience for all of us.
post #171 of 179 Old 11-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Just had to add an experience from last night.

I had my friend over along with his 8 and 10 year old son. As soon as they came in and saw the screen they were all smiles. Their dad had told them ahead of time about my theater and they had a list of scenes from movies they wanted to see. After some Star Wars, Transformers, etc., we watch Star Trek and they loved every minute. They were literally jumping up and down cheering and saying, "This is awesome" about every five minutes.

Then... we played some Xbox360 and that joy increased exponentially.

I think by the end I heard them referring to me as Uncle Bill.

Totally awesome experience for all of us.

Hi, I'm mnnc and I'm a audiovideoholic... glad you had more fun, no unwanted crowds/company, no hassle, better pic/audio...what more could you want or need...awesome. Thanks for sharing
post #172 of 179 Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

i just ordered refurbed epson 6100 for 874. I remember clearly a year or so ago this was like 1600+ and i was gonna wait a year for prices on it and others like it to come down. at first i ordered teh 705HD for $600 but i thought i might as well start with my first proj @ 1080p i think the 6100 is the best for the price right now. ill be using my bare while until i figure out an ultra cheap way to get some type of screen. i was looking at this one,

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Wides...fs169mw-72.htm

ill post pics of how it looks on my bare wall soon
post #173 of 179 Old 12-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooms View Post

i just ordered refurbed epson 6100 for 874. I remember clearly a year or so ago this was like 1600+ and i was gonna wait a year for prices on it and others like it to come down. at first i ordered teh 705HD for $600 but i thought i might as well start with my first proj @ 1080p i think the 6100 is the best for the price right now. ill be using my bare while until i figure out an ultra cheap way to get some type of screen. i was looking at this one,

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix_Wides...fs169mw-72.htm

ill post pics of how it looks on my bare wall soon

Go BIGGER if you have the room.. :-)
post #174 of 179 Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 PM

As a new projector owner, I got to say, it sucks.

From the moment I got my little hd20 set up I knew I had a new expensive hobby... I got a screen...some recliner ht style seating....16 panels of curtains...and I'm already considering an upgrade to a 3k$ pj next year....I guess at least this hobby pays back with much satisfaction. Fishing costs me about as much and is hit or miss with reservations, booking, boat repairs...etc.
post #175 of 179 Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 PM

Ok, time to put in how I got hooked into the wonderful world of front projection!! Approx 3 yrs ago I had just finished the walkout basement in our home, that I had been working on for about 3yrs of framing, electical, drywall, painting ect. When my neighbor calls me and says come over to my house, have something to show you. BAM, he had just purchased a projector and had it fired up on the wall. I was floored to say the least, but had a huge problem!! I had just blown my last 4k on a new bar for my man cave with a Hitachi 65 inch rear projection HD TV. This all had happened in Oct-Nov 2007. Everyday I would come home and be on AVS doing research on projectors, telling the wife " What do you think of this one or that one" Its only 3 months till March when I get the bonus!!! Can I hold out that long with the little 65" Hitachi? So Christmas rolls around in 07 parents are in town, kids are ripping presents open and all, bright and early in the morning, the door bell rings and its my neighbor who turned me into a mad craving person wanting a front projector, comes in sits down and has coffee with all of us. Then my wife and father come walking into the kitchen with a HUGE gift wrapped box, Im thinking ok what can this be??? So I rip off the paper and its a plain box, cut the tape and BANG, another box gift wrapped!!! By now Im foaming at the mouth, grab the second box wrip the paper off, and the screaming begins!!! Low and behold in my hands I hold a box that says Mitsubishi HC 1500, the wife has come through with the help of the family and made Christams of 2007 one I will never forget!! Since then I have added new surround sound, an Onkyo 805 AV, built an HTPC, added 6 HT chairs and so forth. So here we are with 2010 coming to a close and I am getting ready to put in my 4th new bulb in the Old HC 1500 and Christmas right around the corner!! Yes I have been in the " Dear come check out this HC 6800 or look at this Epson 8350". Come on SANTA, I know you can make it happen. Happy Holidays to all!! Interceptor
post #176 of 179 Old 12-12-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Wow you guys are really impressive on conserving your lamp hours. I'm at 140 hours in only 5 weeks. LMAO. I assume that will subside as time goes on - but I told myself I wasn't going to be too anal with it considering lamp replacements aren't too horrible. Gaming is what really adds up the hours. Had the guys over and 6-8 hours flies by so fast...

I bought mine in July this year and Approaching 1400 Hrs. I need to come out of retirement.
post #177 of 179 Old 12-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am glad I got me a projector. I dont even look for a 55 or 60" HDTV anymore.

I only use my PJ for mostly watching movies.

Projector is easy to get rid of it too if you want to sell it. Try to sell a 55 or 60" and see.

For projector you need a home. Try to set one up in an apartment.
post #178 of 179 Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Been projecting on 117" since July. Nothing but awe from me with respect to the picture from my LG 181. Sound ain't too bad either with Lascala fronts and Academy surrounds. I expect to blow my son away when he visits next week and sees the setup for the first time. You can't over rate a big picture/big sound in a HT setting.
post #179 of 179 Old 06-16-2012, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Digging this old thread just to say that reading it around three years ago was the main reason I decided to go the projector route. Three years later, I'm only months away of finally reaching that goal, and can't wait to join the ranks of this group. Thanks for the inspiration, guys. I LOVED reading your stories!!
(and actualy, if you know of similar threads, please post the links, I'd love to read them)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page