Epson Ensemble HD 1080 - The Home Theater for everyone but us? Let's Discuss! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 94 Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Greetings all,

Time for a little controversy (enthusiastic discussion), about what I consider to be the breakthrough product of 2008 for millions (not 10s of thousands) of people.

Most of us on the forums are "hard core enthusiasts and hobbyists". We seek the best individual components, and assemble the best home theater systems for ourselves. We often are DIYer's who do most if not all of the installation.

We are a small group, relative to the entire home theater (including those tiny Plasma's and LCDTV) world.

Why, because projector based home theater is simply too much work - too much research (projector, receiver, speakers, cabling, remotes, etc.), too much comparing, too complicated an installation, basically too much hassle, for the vast majority (that can afford one) to even contemplate one. Almost everyone would love a projector based home theater, but few have the time, or the intestinal fortitude, to tackle a major project.

Enter the Epson Ensemble HD 1080. It's designed so that almost anyone with a suitable room, can buy one, and be up and running (scheduling allowing), fully installed by a dealer, the same day!

Boy, does that change the dynamic of the industry. Please note, this is simply the first complete system. I see most of the manufacturers likely to emulate what Epson has done, so expect to see more, similar systems, at future CEDIA's and CES shows!

We are the early adopters, the recommenders, the folks our friends turn to for advice. Yet we fail them far more often than not. We can't convince our friends to join the world of real home theater, they just don't want the stress and hassle, even if they have the dollars. They go out and buy a plasma. End of conversation.

No longer. Consider: The Ensemble HD has a very good projector - the Epson Home Cinema 1080 (not the UB), a great sound system - full 5.1, with lots of power, tuner, DVD player, etc. pre-programmed universal remote control, all the wiring, and even exterior wiring channels, so you don't even have to open the walls. You just need one AC outlet.

And the complete system can be installed in 4-5 hours.

It's great. I now have one in my second theater! My wife loves, it, my daughter loves it, (even I do). My brother-in-law is getting one for his birthday. Is it the ultimate home theater? Obviously not. But it is so well thought out, and integrated, and so easy to install, that it is the first home theater for the masses!

No longer do we have to fail our friends. We can help our friends enjoy the glory of home theater. We finally can talk about something that they will consider.

The Epson Ensemble HD 1080 is a true "instant home theater" it is one all but the hardest core enthusiast can thoroughly enjoy. I've now got one installed in my "second theater", and I must tell you, it is truly a complete and impressive system.

It is our chance, to make a difference in the world. Lifting millions from the poverty of small screens and pathetic in plasma speakers, into the up-lifting world of shake the house action movies, and watching the Olympics and football with the best seats in the house.

OK, it's not for all the masses. It does cost about $7000+. And it's probably not suited for the typical condo or apartment, especially if you like that 150 watt sub-woofer cranking on an action flick, or what Bon Jovi playing at concert levels. Other than that, though, this looks like the winnder, and a new breed of product.

For those with a decent credit card line, or an equity line, it means years of outstanding enjoyment. And no hassles! Decide today, enjoy today, (or tomorrow, next day, depending on how busy the dealer's installers are). But part of the beauty, is that they will be in and out of a house in an afternoon.

So, what do you think? Is this the product we can recommend to all our "hobbyist challenged" friends?

It should make for a lively debate. I reviewed the whole system, including the installation, publishing just the other day. It should answer most of your questions.

I really am looking forward to knowing whether we - our friend's "experts", can look upon with enthusiasm, a product, not necessarily for us, but one that works for most people who turn to us for advice.

Let the games begin!

for those who need to know more, here's a link to the full review.

Thanks! -art

-art

Reviewing projectors sure beats selling them...
---but then, watching The 5th Element
-----for the hundreth time sure is getting old.
ProjectorReviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Art-

Are you familiar with the "rainbow text" color problem with the HDMI input on the non-UB Epson 1080 projectors? If so, have you tested the projector in the Ensemble system for the problem? I have been trying to get an answer from Epson if they can or will fix this problem for months, without success so far. Here is a Web page with more details on the problem, and a downloadable bitmap that can be used to easily test for the problem:

http://216.101.184.5/epson/

There is also a topic here on AVS Forum in this same section with more details and discussion of the problem.

Thanks.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #3 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
$7,000 ? No way.
post #4 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 AM

Liked: 12
I have sound system that sounds better than at the movies. Between that my projector and my painted DIY screen of 103in comes in at a total around 4,600. I am disappointed most of the time when I go to the theater because it sounds so much better at my home. I know the epson theater sound system cannot match what I have even though I have not heard it. So I agree. Way too much money.
post #5 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The system probably will make most folks happy but I agree, it seems a bit pricey. I'm sure that for less money you can do just as well or better. That said, I do like some of the subtle install component parts.
post #6 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
This product, along with FP as a whole will never be a breakthrough product for millions anytime in the near future. Getting away from price, the problem with FP is just the logistical aspect of it, you need way too much space and lighting considerations to make it practical among the masses.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #7 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 AM

Liked: 10
This product will never sell well. Too expensive.
Local installers have better packages for the same price. Do-it-yourself'ers will piece together a better system at a much better price.

But, I have to give Art an "A" for effort in trying to get in a plug for it.
Epson will be happy with you.
post #8 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 AM

Liked: 13
As you said we in the under $3,000 forum are into FP systems and build our own. We can put together a better system at a cheaper price. We are not the customers for this product. Art, I know you hang out in the over $3,000 FP forum, but even here a $150 sub is not considered much of a sub. You will find a lot of people in this forum with DIY subs that can compete and often beat the high end manufacturers. Many others here use ED's, AV123's, Epik and HSU subs.

This product is made for someone that does not know squat about HT, but saw an HT system when he/she went to a parade of homes and they have the money to pay for it.
post #9 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I do think this is an absolutely fantastic product. It has the opportunity to be a paradigm shifter for home theater. This can really change the way people watch movies and other big screen events in their homes.

But of course I would like to see a couple of changes. I'm not sure how closely the MSRP will be to the actual selling price, but I'd like to see a basic install included in a selling price of $1000 less than MSRP. Since it's new, it's obviously impossible to know yet what the actual "real" price will be.

I also disagree with Art on the non inclusion of a Blu-ray drive. My feeling is that if you're going to include a DVD player, it ought to be a Blu-ray one. In addition, an all in one system should be just that: all in one. Too many components hooked up to the head unit is going to cause confusion and problems in many homes. An HD solution like this should have a Blu-ray drive. After people set this up, they should immediately be watching HD movies. That's what the unit is all about.

Art also thinks that people should have the option of the UB version of the 1080p and additional sizes of screens. While that would be nice, I think too many choices begins to take away from the One Box (or eight) simplicity of the unit. Two choices of projector, 1080p and 720p are probably enough. And a screen size of 100 inches is a fairly good compromise and a good selling point. (100 inches! Wow!)

All in all though, I think Epson has done a marvelous job in bringing projector theaters to the masses.

Jim
post #10 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 08:09 AM

Liked: 12
if this came standard with the 1080ub I think it comes closer to being worth it for most people that don't know what they are doing. Since the 1080 is an older tech and is completely outclassed by the z2000 which after rebates is well under 2000 bucks it is just too expensive for what you get. If it had the UB standard it would be a much better offer. (Fair offer) in my opinion. I have no idea what quality the speakers are on this unit, but if they are decent and can fill a room without much strain on them with a decent subwoofer it could be worth it, but as it stands it is too expensive for what you get.
post #11 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For the same price, they should thrown in a bluray player and 1080UB. I think they are meant for wealthy people that don't want a dedicated theater room but a multi purpose room.
post #12 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Makes me wonder why some of our sponsors or AVS even has not created their own "complete" package with instructions. You could have a base, a deluxe, and a premium package for 720p and for 1080p. With today's publishing capabilities right on your desk a user guide, labels, and installation instructions would be easy to create. Then you box several good components together and ship it.
post #13 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

^ That right thar is one h*ll of an idea! Let's see if anyone picks up on this and decides to implement it...
post #14 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Way over price and installation extra. On top of that, it reminds me of buying a Epson and a Bose system, then the next guys comes in and laughing out loud. It's a lot of money for such yesterday products (minus pj). 5.1 system without the latest HD sound, speaker builted into the screen mount and project? I don't know what to say. The pro side is that the idea is great, but most that are in this type of market will not be dropping 7K on this thing, not even sure if they will drop 5K.

I can imaging the rich kid buying it with installation, gets it home and it gets install. Fires it up in the middle of the day in his living room. Instead of being surprise and shock, he/she calls up the store and demands a refund as it doesn't look good as his friends' Bravia/Kuro...

Not trying to beat the product down, but as far as I know, the target audience are these people.
post #15 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 AM

Yeah, $7,000 is a huge price tag. I would say $5,000 installed would be a fair price, if it included a Blu-ray player. The projector is $2,800, I can get better sound by spending $1,500 on speakers and a receiver, then a PS3 for $400. $3,500 installed for the 720p version would be a fair price. I don't think this was a good idea on Epson's part.
post #16 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

Yeah, $7,000 is a huge price tag. I would say $5,000 installed would be a fair price, if it included a Blu-ray player. The projector is $2,800, I can get better sound by spending $1,500 on speakers and a receiver, then a PS3 for $400. $3,500 installed for the 720p version would be a fair price. I don't think this was a good idea on Epson's part.

The projector is not the 1080UB.
post #17 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

The projector is not the 1080UB.

Oh wow, I missed that, so it's just the Epson 1080? Okay, then $3,500 - $4,000 it might be worth it.
post #18 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

Art-

Are you familiar with the "rainbow text" color problem with the HDMI input on the non-UB Epson 1080 projectors? If so, have you tested the projector in the Ensemble system for the problem? I have been trying to get an answer from Epson if they can or will fix this problem for months, without success so far. Here is a Web page with more details on the problem, and a downloadable bitmap that can be used to easily test for the problem:

http://216.101.184.5/epson/

There is also a topic here on AVS Forum in this same section with more details and discussion of the problem.

Thanks.

Greetings!

No, I was unaware of this issue. I have never used a HTPC/equivalent, only DVD, Blu-ray, and HDTV sources, and have never spotted that problem, either when I originally reviewed the Home Cinema 1080, or in the 30-40 hours I have watched the system installed.

I acknowledge this may be a problem for PC based folks, but, if my observations are correct, it doesn't appear with normal hdmi input from DVD/Blu-ray/HDTV. If it does, then perhaps I have never spotted it, because single pixel wide text is not likely to occur when when watching movies, and other non-PC content.

And, for the target market, I really doubt more than a tiny percentage of potential owners will ever interface a computer to their system.

Still, something to consider for some.

Well, the thread is generating the type of comments I expected. I'll respond to a few other comments so far, mostly to restate the key concept. -a

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #19 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunt17 View Post

I have sound system that sounds better than at the movies. Between that my projector and my painted DIY screen of 103in comes in at a total around 4,600. I am disappointed most of the time when I go to the theater because it sounds so much better at my home. I know the epson theater sound system cannot match what I have even though I have not heard it. So I agree. Way too much money.

Ahh, jhunt17

I do believe you are missing the point. I have never suggested that it would be a good, or great value for DIYers. In fact I seriously doubt any DIYer would ever buy a complete, pre-packaged system. This was not designed for DIYer's.

It's designed for the friends of DIYers - the ones who have no intention of ever running a wire themselves, or painting a wall, or researching or shopping for audio speakers, receivers etc.

The folks who admire your system, but simply would never consider investing even 10% the time you have invested in yours.

Those folks, IMO, may want a system like yours (perhaps not that good), but it's just too much work!

I conjecture, that no matter how helpful you are to those friends, they simply would never tackle dealing with deciding all the key elements in a complete system, and they sure aren't interested in opening their walls, drywalling and painting.

Now, someone mentioned it's for rich folks. Sorry, nope, rich folks - you know, the one's Obama wants to tax to death, don't spend $7,000 - $8000, unless it's an extra system for their kid's 400 sq foot bonus room. Rich folks - spend $25K, $50K, $250K. Hey, they'll spend $7,000 just for a couple of chairs or couch for the room, and a faux antique theater style pop-corn machine.

So, again, this not for you. Question is, do you think that it will be a successful system for those who otherwise not buy a projector based system.

So, ask yourself, your friends who will never tackle what you have done, would they be happy with a system with this level of performance, for this price??? (I'm assuming they can afford the roughly $7500 installed, over the $4500+ installation, that you would need to perform as well. Yes, you will try, and try, and try, to convince them, that if they do it your way, piece by piece, they will get more performance, but you already know, they aren't interested in the work, only the end result. Which means 100" not 42" or 50".

Keep in mind, that currently, larger LCDTVs + plasmas, likely outsell home theater projectors in the US, by at least 20:1, and maybe 50:1. And on top of that, since projectors are mostly bought by enthusiasts, we enthusiasts are far more likely to replace a projector every year or two, people will use that same old plasma for a decade or more.

Also, one nice thing that I like about the Epson projector (UB still would be better), is that while it's brightness is pretty average in best mode, it can crank out about 1500 lumens when you need it, for that football game, or olympic event. And I imagine that many of the potential buyers are going to be at least as much interested in sports/TV, as with movies. I suspect that most of us, are "movies first" in terms of priority. -art

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #20 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

As noted, it's an HC1080, not a UB, so it's value is probably $2000, not $2800.

As to getting better sound for $1500 with receiver, are you remembering that your $1500 system's speakers would most likely have to be in-walls? At the minimum, extremely small satellite speakers, mounted high, out of the way of anything else in the room. One of the nice things about the system, is that there are no speakers taking up space, just the cradle for the projector and a screen enclosure that is a few inches deeper than most motorized screens. That will have great appeal, especially when it's "wife approval time".

No one will argue that at $7000, that we can't put together more pure performance, hand selecting everything.

Real world - people - do you know that the average car shopping test drives only one model car, with all the brands, and competing models out there?

Well less than one percent of car shoppers, I believe, test drive 3 or more vehicles before making a purchase (I'm talking new cars now, everyone test drives used cars.)

These are your neighbors, we're talking about. They are buying their 3rd Camry in a row, and only test drove the first one, but sat in the last two.

Do you really think they will spend 20+ hours picking out a system, meeting with 3 different installer companies for a quote (they will not do the work themselves, that's you guys, not them). Not a chance.

My point is this is the ticket for the masses (that can afford $7000-$8000).

Sure, Epson would sell more if they charged $5000, or $4500, but that's not the point. If a product like this can prove to sell sufficient tonnage, to prove the viability, then you'll see competing models, and you will see dramatic reductions in cost (20-40%), Epson will be able to figure out how many more 1080 versions they can sell at $6000, $5000, $4500, $4000, and will, of course, once they have a handle on the overall viability of the concept, they will no doubt adjust the price for maximum marketshare and maximum profit, as any good business would. My biggest fear, is that Epson isn't a great marketing company. Someone mentioned Bose. (BTW I have never cared for the sound from Bose - going back 30+ years to the old 901s). Bose could sell millions of these, them suckas are the king of marketing in the audio industry. -art

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #21 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey, do any of you DIYers have any idea what it really costs to pay a professional, to open up at least one wall, and lots of ceiling and possibly rear wall (speakers everywhere), and run all those wires (to code)? Don't forget, in a typical installation, you need to provide power to at least three separate locations - where the electronics are, the screen (it's motorized, as most people prefer who don't have a dedicated room only for home theater (our target market) then to drywall it, then to repaint over everything? Most local installers charge a minimum of $125 an hour, $150 is probably typical for folks who are seasoned, and good at it. Don't forget you'll want a licenced electrician, to set up the power. When I wired up my main theater, (high ceilings), just the wiring was over $2500 and I got a good break on the price, since I referred those folks lots of biz. Then I still had to pay for drywalling, and repainting. Because of the building codes in my relatively new home (10 years old), it took 22 separate cuts to wire my room. (Had I had normal celings, that would have dropped to about 14 cuts.)

The point is, people who want to pay professionals to install a system - $500 as someone mentioned, just ain't gonna happen. Hey Circuit City and Best Buy charge $500 to mount a plasma to a wall, provide the power, and hook up the wiring, and it's only that cheap, if the equipment, is basically right below the screen. and that folks is about as easy as it gets. $500! (The beauty of this, is that with the channels, no wall need be opened at all, keeping the cost down). -art

Enough you get the idea! -a

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #22 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

Makes me wonder why some of our sponsors or AVS even has not created their own "complete" package with instructions. You could have a base, a deluxe, and a premium package for 720p and for 1080p. With today's publishing capabilities right on your desk a user guide, labels, and installation instructions would be easy to create. Then you box several good components together and ship it.

I hope you are kidding? Dealers have been putting together packages since day one. As others point out, though, most of us, are too picky, we want this projector with those speakers, and that sub, and that AV receiver, and the next guy wants something different.

You want dealers to do all that extra work (costs money), and then most of us will complain that they are charging too much, and you can get the stuff for less.

Epson has done what you have suggested, and look at the feedback from the bulk of us. They are in much better shape to be able to do so, and not go out of business, than a dealer. Imagine if Jason said - "hey, here's this system. You can only buy this combination, and it costs more than if you buy each thing separately from wherever, but we have a manual?" I'd wish him luck. Enthusiasts normally do not pay for information, that would be no fun. I've offered consulting services over the years. When I tell people I'll provide them basic help and recommendations for $150 (when their looking to spend $3000 - $6000 - so 2.5% to 5%, there aren't any takers. such is life. -art

PS, ok gotta get back to work or I'll never get this Mitsubishi HC1600 review published, I'll stop back tomorrow, or late tonight. -a

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #23 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter View Post

Greetings all,

Time for a little controversy (enthusiastic discussion), about what I consider to be the breakthrough product of 2008 for millions (not 10s of thousands) of people.

Most of us on the forums are "hard core enthusiasts and hobbyists". We seek the best individual components, and assemble the best home theater systems for ourselves. We often are DIYer's who do most if not all of the installation.
ers, cabling, remotes, etc.), too much comparing, too complicated an installation, basically too much hassle, for the vast majority (that can afford one) to even contemplate one.

For those with a decent credit card line, or an equity line, it means years of outstanding enjoyment.
Thanks! -art

dunno know 'bout millions of peeps, maybe a few 10s of ks.

"...seek the best...", in the under $3k pj forum?

i love the whole idea but @ $5k for 720 and $7k for 1080 + install, i hope there will be a lot of upper middle class+ folks to buy these in todays economy-housing, gas prices, etc.
post #24 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunt17 View Post

if this came standard with the 1080ub I think it comes closer to being worth it for most people that don't know what they are doing. Since the 1080 is an older tech and is completely outclassed by the z2000 which after rebates is well under 2000 bucks it is just too expensive for what you get. If it had the UB standard it would be a much better offer. (Fair offer) in my opinion. I have no idea what quality the speakers are on this unit, but if they are decent and can fill a room without much strain on them with a decent subwoofer it could be worth it, but as it stands it is too expensive for what you get.

Ahh, it's you again - jhunt17.

You are off the mark. Your statement about the Z2000 is not relevant. Consider, the Z2000 is perhaps the dimmest 1080p projector on the market.

That makes it a weak choice for those that see this as an all purpose solution, SPORTS and other TV, as well as movies. The Sanyo on a good day, downhill, with a strong tailwind, (and so-so color) still can't find six hundred lumens (mid-zoom point), even if its life depended on it, even in its brightest mode. The Epson does a respectable job for sports at 1300+ lumens. Big difference. Purists - Sanyo, definitely, masses - Epson will be the better choice for most. We are not talking about "best projector, but best solution" I think that is the important point. -art

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #25 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM

I agree Art, this product is for a guy like my ex-boss, He saw my system consisting of a Sanyo Z5, Yamaha HTR,Paradigm speakers ect. and he loved it, BUT he would never go out put a system together himself.

This is as close to plug-a-play as your gonna get with a PJ w/SS. He could easily afford the $7000. plus inst. I'm gonna show him this system and see what he thinks.

BTW - thanks soooooooo much for all your reviews - it helped me pick out my PJ, which I'm very happy with. I've dreamt of a HT room practically all my adult life but I thought I would never be able to afford one, but thanks to your reviews and the people on this great forum my dream has come true!!!!!

Xbox Live Gamertag - polygonkilla
post #26 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 PM

Art, I agree with you on most all of your points. As I said this is not something that most people on here would be interested in. I think my statement of the average Joe that has seen HT systems set up in parade of homes is a good target for that type of system. That is what they need to shoot for. Get some of these systems set up in some of the medium priced homes so that the general public can see and hear them. From there the public can learn that this is a system set up for retrofit in existing homes. That is where I think the market for this product will be found.
post #27 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

These are very popular out here in Japan. I've seen them set up in a few homes since Ive been out here. Not a bad setup, however they are pricey as said earlier. Excellent for a family who just wants simplicity of putting together a system at a single installation and being done.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #28 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

dunno know 'bout millions of peeps, maybe a few 10s of ks.

i hope there will be a lot of upper middle class+ folks to buy these in todays economy-housing, gas prices, etc.

Yep, those "upper middle class" folks have been keeping the economy in general, and Best Buy and Circuit City, in business for a long, long time. And there are 10s of millions of them. Out here in "the O.C", median home price is "down" to just below $500,000 and the 75% line - the home price that represents the bottom of the 25% most expensive, I believe is still hanging in over $800,000. Population of the county - almost 3 million. Households - 1 million - that makes 250,000 families in homes worth at least $800,000. Lot's of potential customers! Just got an email from - get this, a builder. He says biz is ******, but when it starts picking up (he builds about 150 homes a year, he's thinking about making it a "standard option".

BTW: $7500 = 15 movies a year at $65 each for a family of 4, (excluding gasoline), for 7 years. By the time 7 years rolls around, it will cost $100 minimum (7 years ago, a large soda, and large popcorn was $5. have you been out there lately. More like $12. Figure, for anyone who likes movies (and that's nevermind those "decent" Laker's tickets at $150 a piece, whose seats will never have the view I get in my theater.)

Now many of us still go to the movies (couldn't wait for Transformers, or Bond, to go to disc, etc.) At our home, probably 7-9 trips a year to the theater, and another 50 movies and uncountable hours of sports and events, every year in our theater. But we used to hit the theaters at least 20 times a year.

So, epson's problem will not be whether there are enough customers, but how to reach them, and educate them as to how practical the whole idea is. As I've said previously, Epson tends to make great product, but isn't the mega-marketer that some others are. -a

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #29 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

These are very popular out here in Japan. I've seen them set up in a few homes since Ive been out here. Not a bad setup, however they are pricey as said earlier. Excellent for a family who just wants simplicity of putting together a system at a single installation and being done.

That's good feedback, I wasn't aware it has been shipping there for a while, but it's not surprising, anything "new" that's good, tends to get early traction in Japan, a good sign for Epson's efforts here.

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #30 of 94 Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polygonkilla View Post

BTW - thanks soooooooo much for all your reviews - it helped me pick out my PJ, which I'm very happy with. I've dreamt of a HT room practically all my adult life but I thought I would never be able to afford one, but thanks to your reviews and the people on this great forum my dream has come true!!!!!

Thanks polygonkilla! (interesting handle - are you an engineer?) -art

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page