post #1351 of 1358 Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by epayne11 View Post

Do you think maybe I have to tilt the projector mount down a little??

No, not tilt. You need to mount it lower on an extension pole. It looks to me as if you are having to project downward at an angle. That's a no no. In order for the auto zoom feature to work the center of the lens can be no higher than the top edge of the screen. [People who don't use that feature can indeed project from higher hence the manual's implication that it is OK to mount it up higher than that.] That is my understanding at least.

[Edited from previous version]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1358 Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

No, not tilt.

You'll also get keystoning if you "tilt" it.
post #1353 of 1358 Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think I could possibly move it down any further, you almost hit your head on it as it is now. Maybe I could go down a half inch or something, but I wouldn't be able to lower it enough to have the lens right at the top of the screen. Too me the picture looks great and I don't notice any issues with it, it is just the one button to switch back and forth. So I am stuck with manually shifting then?
post #1354 of 1358 Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I don't think I could possibly move it down any further, you almost hit your head on it as it is now. Maybe I could go down a half inch or something, but I wouldn't be able to lower it enough to have the lens right at the top of the screen. Too me the picture looks great and I don't notice any issues with it, it is just the one button to switch back and forth. So I am stuck with manually shifting then?

To invert the old line that "If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river!":

How about moving the screen up to meet the projector?

post #1355 of 1358 Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM

With the top of the stage the way it is no I can't, i need room to put the screen on the wall and snap it down into the track.

So I can't tilt the mount down and then shift the lens up??
post #1356 of 1358 Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

I don't think I could possibly move it down any further, you almost hit your head on it as it is now...

If you tilt the projector the image won't be a perfect rectangle, so it won't fit the screen exactly (even if you use lens shift). But if you mount the projector directly over a seat, there's no way you can walk into it even if it's mounted lower. I can see how that would be a pain if it means moving it forwards or backwards from its current position, but it works for me in a basement with a low ceiling.
post #1357 of 1358 Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 PM

actually the projector is mounted right over a seat right now and although you don't hit your head right now but worried if I lower it anymore you might hit it. That being said I would have to lower it about a foot if it is suppose to be in line with the top of the screen.
post #1358 of 1358 Old 01-15-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The shift controls are designed to do for a projector what a "rising and falling back" does for architectural photographers: enables you to keep the various elements parallel to each other and to the vertical. For a photographer, this enables a "virtual" -instead of real - tilting of the camera up to get a tall building in the image without the "keystone" distortion produced by tilting the whole camera.

If you visualize the keystone that caps an arch at top center (also called the "capstone"), it's broader at the top than it is at the bottom. That's where the term "keystone" comes from. By keeping the film and lens vertical and parallel to the building, but moving the film up and down behind the lens, the building can be brought into view without introducing that distortion, which would make the top and bottom of the building different widths, and the sides no longer parallel.

That's what both the mechanical and electronic shifts are modeled on - you keep the imaging panels parallel to the screen while moving the image up and down or side to side behind the lens, avoiding the geometric "keystone" distortion that tilting the projector would introduce.

That's why you shouldn't tilt the projector.

End of pedantry (for now).

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page