Epson 1080p Home Cinema 6100 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1639 Old 11-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When you mention about the scaler are you refering to SD and HD movies, or television. I was trying to decide if the move up to the Reon was worth it as well, but don't know a whole lot about it. What makes the Reon better, or should I say what does it do to the picture that makes it worth upgrading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1639 Old 12-01-2008, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

I think it's a little unfair to compare this to the AX200, because it's a 720p, and as noted, half the price. For my own purposes, I did do some testing sending the same signal to both and comparing, and definitely prefer the 6100. It's brighter, colors are more accurate, less visible pixels than even smoothscreen, better contrast, and completely quiet. If I were choosing between the two right now, I would definitely get the 6100 (keep in mind I'm a huge AX200 fan). Aside from having a better pic, there are price/return reasons I won't mention for obvious reasons.

While saying you prefer the 6100 over the AX200 how would you rate the jump in picture quality, (just a bit better or huge improvment or ??).

Im just so on the fence on getting the 6100.

I currently have the Epson 720 and used to own the AX200, very happy with both of them,,(thinking about getting another AX200 in light of the super low price these days).

I guess my main concern is how much better does the 6100 look than the AX200 for BluRay, as in, given the price difference between the two projectors is the picture quality that much better coming from the 6100 to justify making the jump for my BluRay viewing ?

Hope that made sense.

Thanks much in advance George.

Cheers
Davyo
post #93 of 1639 Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

I was trying to decide if the move up to the Reon was worth it as well, but don't know a whole lot about it. What makes the Reon better, or should I say what does it do to the picture that makes it worth upgrading.

http://www.siliconoptix.com/products...X/Features.cfm

If you're considering the 6500, consider it for the blacks. It is quite a visible improvement over the 6100, and is an extremely impressive projector. I'm not sure how much more it is, but with the AVS rebate, it can't be that much more than the 6100. (There's a announcement on that at the top of this forum and the $3K+ plus forum)

Enjoying my second TW4000 and my new screen.
As my wife said, "Wow, it really does look a lot better...and if I think that way, imagine how you must think it looks!"
post #94 of 1639 Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
What ceiling mounts are new Epson 6100 owners using?

Anyone using either of the (low cost) ceiling mount types from monoprice?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #95 of 1639 Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 PM

Just purchased a 6100. I ordered the Sanus projector mount for it.

post #96 of 1639 Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Anyone using either of the (low cost) ceiling mount types from monoprice?

I have a PJ mount from monoprice. This one:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
The mounting bracket is slightly too small for my Mits HC6500.

PM me if you want it ($10 plus postage). It's $14.70 plus S&H on monoprice. It's actually a decent mount (rated to 22 lbs).
post #97 of 1639 Old 12-06-2008, 06:53 AM

So are there any owners out there? I haven't seen any reviews on this forum which is surprising considering the price and the Projector.com review. I'd love to hear more about this machine.
post #98 of 1639 Old 12-06-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don851 View Post

Just purchased a 6100. I ordered the Sanus projector mount for it.

Don, what do you think of it so far? Have you used any other projectors you can compare it too?
post #99 of 1639 Old 12-06-2008, 07:22 AM

I got the 6100 a week ago. I have not calibrated at all. Using a black widow "screen" the picture looks good. The black levels are good not great but I haven't really tested them yet. I'm using theatre2 mode which seems to work great in ambient light from 1 blinded window or 2 40 watt bulbs, and even better in the dark. Blu-rays look sharp and upconverted dvds from ps3 look fine I guess for a 92" screen sitting 11 ft away.

This is my first PJ and have only seen the sony vpl40 from magnolia to compare to. I think the lcos and dlp probably have a more film like picture. The leaked light on the edges though and this epson does not leak any light.

I really like all the setup options for the picture and the actual placement. It is easy to raise or lower on a shelf using the adjustable feet and the lens shift seems pretty generous.

Overall I am pleased with this PJ as the 6500 was out of my price range and the ambient light watchability (I know not a word) has surprised me.
post #100 of 1639 Old 12-06-2008, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

This uses Organic panels?
Are we sure?

I have an issue with my AX100(blotch), which I THINK is attributed to Organic panels, and I'm NOT gonna have that problem on my new PJ that is for sure.

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #101 of 1639 Old 12-09-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

This uses Organic panels?
Are we sure?

I have an issue with my AX100(blotch), which I THINK is attributed to Organic panels, and I'm NOT gonna have that problem on my new PJ that is for sure.

I called Epson's projector tech support yesterday and they indicated that yes, the LCD panels are in fact organic.

I also noted that the box for my 6100 indicates that it uses "C2fine technology." Now that's just vague enough to imply that it actually uses C2fine panels, while leaving room for Epson to claim that its D7 panels are not C2fine, but share technology with it.

At any rate, I've not been able to find any conclusive evidence that the current organic D7 panels degrade in any meaningful way. (If they did, surely that would expose Epson and other manufacturers to a class action lawsuit? Just look at what happened to Apple with their supposedly irreplaceable iPod batteries...) Think I'll open another thread to discuss organic panels.
post #102 of 1639 Old 12-09-2008, 05:56 AM

I went to the Epson web site and pulled up a pdf of their hc6100 product review. It states that it is a "3lcd,3 chip optical engine poly-silicon tft active matrix". Pardon my ignorance but does "poly-silicon" mean inorganic?
post #103 of 1639 Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 AM

Let me offer some anecdotal evidence of the 6100's performance, based on my subjective evaluations thus far and not on any objective measurements.

After having suffered through quite an ordeal at a Big Box store in the hopes of obtaining a significant markdown on a Sony VW40, I finally purchased the 6100 instead. In retrospect, I'm glad I did. I'm glad not only because of the 2 year warranty (instead of Sony's 1 year) but because, as they used to say of hot rods, "there's no replacement for displacement" and the Epson's 1800 lumens will drive this pj to quite large screen sizes in all reasonable conditions.

Even some unreasonable ones. My screen right now is in excess of 127" diagonal, and is projected on a bare wall painted dark brown. In dynamic mode the screen is plenty bright, with white balanced at 6500k and brightness turned down a couple of notches. With the iris set to "fast," the black levels are quite good. I do notice the iris action between scenes, but never within a scene. As some have commented, the iris motor is audible but for me won't be an issue with even quiet audio.

While the black levels won't be scaring any RS2s or Kuro plasmas, I find they compete nicely with my friend's Samsung plasma. This is perhaps unsurprising, given the dark finish of the unimproved projection surface. But the white levels are more than adequate here, even with what I would consider a great deal of ambient light. Playing Valkyria Chronicles whose manga style of graphics is deliberately reminiscent of Miyazaki's masterwork "Nausicaa," emphasizing pale watercolor-like palettes, the screen never appears washed out or dim. Even projecting on such a poor surface, the 6100 has the horsepower to run the large-ish screen size and maintain an appealing image.

And this isn't the projector's brightest mode! Switching to Living Room ups the brightness even further, at the expense of balancing the white levels at 8500k. Normally this is far too cold for any kind of even semi-critical viewing, but the dark brown wall color actually balances this out a bit, making the colors look far more natural. In dark or even dim viewing conditions, the brown wall notwithstanding, I find myself wincing from the brightness. In dynamic mode, I find the image watchable (though not necessarily in critical mode) with significant ambient light: with kitchen florescent lights spilling into the living room theater, and dining room halogens reflecting off of cream colored back walls into the theater as well. This is enough light to read by, comfortably. In Living Room mode, however, all but direct lighting is easily handled.

Without having taken any measurements, a quick analysis of the 6100's projection of my MacBook Pro's display suggests that the color palette runs on the intense side, with colors generally oversaturated. My "testing" in this regard was limited primarily to Dynamic and Living Room modes, and color variation here is to be expected. However, even in these modes, viewing color intense films such as "300" appeared reasonably natural in my theater. There are, additionally, a number of available tweaks to control color, brightness, sharpness, and other aspects of the projected image. With something like 20 memory slots to save settings, tweakers have a lot to play with here.

Lastly, let me mention the remote. With direct access to all input modes, real back-lighting, and quickly navigable menu modes, I think most users will appreciate it as a superior remote for an entry-level 1080p pj.
post #104 of 1639 Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 AM

Does everybody turn the 6100 off with the power switch like it says in the manual,it is hard to reach when mounted on the ceiling.
post #105 of 1639 Old 12-10-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsteveo View Post

Don, what do you think of it so far? Have you used any other projectors you can compare it too?

Sorry, I'm upgrading from a 4.5 year old NEC LT260 and before that an NEC LT150 so not much of a comparison. It's like night and day. Haven't tweaked it yet. Out of the picture looks great with the "natural" color setting. Watched part of Dark Kight while setting it up and any buyers remorse I might of had went out the door. It's extremely quiet but very large. Easy setup, especially with the lens shift. The Sanus mount works great with it. The mounting points are pretty far apart. I had to use the 2 extensions that came with the mount. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using the 20 pound mounts on this one. In fact the seller included one of those mounts with the purchase and I'll be selling it to a friend.

post #106 of 1639 Old 12-10-2008, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbyjr View Post

Does everybody turn the 6100 off with the power switch like it says in the manual,it is hard to reach when mounted on the ceiling.

Please dont take this the wrong way and Im not trying to be rude in any way at all,,, but your question,,,,that was just way way funny.

I had this vision of everyone getting on ladders to turn off their projectors after an evening of viewing,,,,, sometimes I just think funny thoughts.

Anyhow, to answer your question,,,, ALL projectors can be turned off with the remote,,,, NO projectors require that you have to turn off the switch on the projector, at least none that I have ever heard of.

The only time the switch needs to be turned off is if your disconecting the power cord from a power supply.

Cheers
Davyo
post #107 of 1639 Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
All I can compare this too is a 3 year old Digital Projections Mercury HD, I was really curious about 1080p and wasnt about to pay the big bucks yet again to find out the difference between 720P and 1080P.

If Im remembering right the Mercury HD had the best blacks money "could" buy in the day using its Dark Metal chips.

Long story short, I didnt try the Epson in the theater the Mercury HD is in because of the 35' throw to the screen, I will try this today. I took a brilliant white high threadcount sheet , folded it in half and threw it in the "office" where I have a mini theater for the nights the Kids want to hang out with their friends. The room is 14 x 14, Let me tell you I was blown away watching the Dark Knight, not sure what people are talking about with the black levels being inferior, I used it in Theater Dark Mode in a full white room, shooting on a stretched sheet and yes the Black Bars were noticable when it switched to 2.35:1 from the IMAX shots but if you're looking for blacklevels instead of watching movies and enjoying yourself, might be time to take a break from looking for problems which might not be there.

Im so interested now to find how the two stack up that I will probably spend the entire day trying to use the Epson on a real screen in the big theater ( not painted white) and AB the two side by side and see how $1700 stacks up against $30K
post #108 of 1639 Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mark,
I agree, no one should get the impression that black levels are bad on this pj. They are not. Are they as good as the UB, probably not, but they are still good. I'm really enjoying this pj.
post #109 of 1639 Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

Mark,
I agree, no one should get the impression that black levels are bad on this pj. They are not. Are they as good as the UB, probably not, but they are still good. I'm really enjoying this pj.

I learned my lesson awhile back about " the latest, greatest" and how long they remain "great".

If this projector was available 2+ years ago when 720P 3 chippers were selling for $4500- infinity, Im pretty sure I would have taken the $1700 and been blown away watching " the Dark Knight" every bit as much or more than on the Mercury HD with its black velvet blacks. I remember 100K PJs that wouldnt stand a chance against this little jewel, its funny how a year or two makes everything come into focus. No pun intended
post #110 of 1639 Old 12-10-2008, 02:08 PM

Crazy question, I work for hhgregg and can get these for about $1400. Anything that comes to mind that might be better for mostly film based content and movies? I have an infocus in72 now, pixel mapped, (dark chip 2 dlp), I'm hoping the black level should be as good?
post #111 of 1639 Old 12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprro1 View Post

Crazy question, I work for hhgregg and can get these for about $1400. Anything that comes to mind that might be better for mostly film based content and movies? I have an infocus in72 now, pixel mapped, (dark chip 2 dlp), I'm hoping the black level should be as good?

I will answer your question if you get me one for $1,400.00.

Cheers
Davyo
post #112 of 1639 Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 PM

unfortunately we're kind of limited to one item on employee purchases ... you'de probably freak if you knew what i was getting a pany 50" thx plasma for too
post #113 of 1639 Old 12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

can someone confirm that it lacks 1080p/24? I'm not entirely sure that it worries me to a great deal, but curious. It does seem to have a lot of other strengths, especially considering the price point.

I wish more reviews would come in. I did not get a whole lot of the detail I wanted from the one review I did find. (though it was VERY positive).
post #114 of 1639 Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

another question; can the 6100 do the necessary image processing so it works with an anamorphic lens? I would not plan on buying a lens initially, but down the road, it could be a good way to go. (I want 2.35:1 presented in the largest and best quality manner possible)
post #115 of 1639 Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:

Originally posted by tomes
I wish more reviews would come in. I did not get a whole lot of the detail I wanted from the one review I did find. (though it was VERY positive).

I am surprised some one at AVS hasn't done a quick review, as they have been selling this projector for over a month.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #116 of 1639 Old 12-12-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

I am surprised some one at AVS hasn't done a quick review, as they have been selling this projector for over a month.

There's a pretty nice one on page 3 of this thread (I think), but again, it doesn't necessarily delve into the details I'm interested in, plus I'd like to see some comparisons to other 1080p projectors. (vs Sanyo z700,z3000, pana AE3000, Epson 6500UB, etc)
post #117 of 1639 Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 PM

I'm getting the Epson 6100 with a 108inch diag screen. Throw distance caculator says 14' 5". Can that be moved back more and still work on 108 screen or do you have to have it right at 14'5". If I could do 18' I could do easy installation in back room with lens shinning out tru wall instead of ceiling mount and wires.
post #118 of 1639 Old 12-12-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

There are a few owner reviews/opinions on this thread but I agree,, for a projector that has been selling for as long as this one has there sure isnt many reviews on it.
And almost no reviews on the "getting released this week" Epson 6500UB.

I would love it if projectorcentral.com or projectorreviews.com did a shoot-out between the Epson 6100 and the 6500UB.

Cheers
Davyo
post #119 of 1639 Old 12-13-2008, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like almost everyone has lowered the price on this pj. Take advantage of the low price guarantee if you purchased from a vendor that has that program.
post #120 of 1639 Old 12-13-2008, 05:17 AM

Please advise as to who has reduced the price on this if possible.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page