Official Planar PD7130 owners thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Two-rocks, I agree, it'd be fantastic if we had that many of those buyers on here. I guess we can still share with the 7060 owners.

I found this interesting link from a PJ shootout, last year in Europe.

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTra...rom=nor&to=eng

The Pd-7130 seems to be the best of the higher end 720p PJ's at the show, rated higher than a super expensive ProjectionDesign M20 and a InFocus IN78.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdJags View Post

I love my HC1500 also Jumbo but was so tempted to get the 7130. With less than 20 hours on my HC1500 I decided to wait until I can get that HC 6500. Man I was so tempted at that price. Jumbo we're wait for a comparison or screen shots.

Hahaha. I was going back and forth for a while before I decided to hit the buy button. I can't afford to keep both PJ's but since both were $600, I'll lose nothing selling either one.

DvdJags, I respect your decision to hold on to the Mits. It is a fantastic PJ and you'll have no problems waiting for 6500 because you're busy enjoying the great image.
post #63 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Can you post a direct link to that review? Firefox does not like that translator...

edit, I think I found it and here is the google version:

google translated review

go to page 14 of the thread.............

"
Planar PD7130
DLP 720

With SD, much better brightness and contrast. Good black level.
With HD, smoother movement than the Epson.
A surprisingly good projector!
- Best of 720 DLP projectors. "

This was Feb 2007
post #64 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 07:53 AM

EDIT:

http://avforum.no/forum/generell-inf...tml#post587139

google translation:

http://translate.google.com/translat...-8&sl=no&tl=en

Quote:

Projector 2007

Projektorvisning 2007-02-24 Projector Display 2007-02-24

Alle projektorene mates med 1080p signalkilde for både SD og HD materialet fra Toshiba HD-XE1 All projectors mates with a 1080p signal source for both SD and HD material from the Toshiba HD-XE1

Genereller kommentarer fra seansen: Or genes from signing comments:
På 1080p og spesielt kabel over 10m har kabelen mye å si. On 1080p, and especially cable over 10m cable has much to say. Problemene synes som uro/snø i bildet. The problems that seem racket / snow in the picture. Har ingen invirkning på kontrasten. Has no invirkning on the contrast.
Hvis man plages av RGB-effekten bør man ikke velge DLP. If you are plagued by RGB effect, do not select the DLP. Dette hjelper med raskere fargehjul. This helps with faster color wheels. Hvis fargehjulet svinger mer enn 5x får bildeprosesseringen problemer derfor er dette en maksgrense i dag. If the color wheel turns more than 5x receive image processing problems, therefore this is a maximum limit today.

Epson EMP-TW700 Epson EMP-TW700
LCD 720 LCD 720

Veldig fleksibel mhp bildestørrelse. Very flexible MHP image size. For mye fargemetning. Too much color saturation.
Med SD, grei skarphet, men lite kontraster i mørke partier With SD, straightforward clarity, but little contrast in dark parties
Med HD, mye bedre skarphet med likevel lite kontrast i mørke partier. With HD, much better clarity with still little contrast in dark areas. Noe svakere enn SD på bevegelse. Slightly weaker than SD on the motion.

Planar PD7130 Planar PD7130
DLP 720 DLP 720

Med SD, mye bedre skarphet og kontrast. With SD, much better brightness and contrast. Bra sortnivå. Good black level.
Med HD, mykere bevegelser enn Epson. With HD, smoother movement than the Epson.
En overraskende god projektor! A surprisingly good projector!
- Best av 720 DLP-projektorene. - Best of 720 DLP projectors.

InFocus IN78 InFocus IN78
DLP 720 DLP 720

Mere synlige regnbuer enn Planar. More rain arcs visible than Planar.
Med SD, blasse farger og blålig fargestikk. With SD, faded colors and color blålig jack. OK skarphet og veldig bra svartnivå men ikke topp kontrast. OK sharpness and very good black level but not the contrast.
Med HD, noe hakkete bevegelse. With HD, some choppy motion.

ProjectionDesign M20 ProjectionDesign M20
DLP 720 DLP 720

Med SD, rødstikk, rødt går mot brunt. With SD, rødstikk, red face brown. God svarttone, kontrast og skarphet. Good black tone, contrast and sharpness.
Med HD, bedre på bevegelser enn IN78. With HD, for better movement than IN78.
Synlige regnbuer Visible rain arcs

Epson EMP-TW1000 Epson EMP-TW1000
LCD1080

Veldig fleksibel mvp plassering. Very flexible mvp position.
Med SD, veldig jevne bevegelser. With SD, very smooth movements. Litt blasse farger og noe blåstikk. Slightly faded colors and some blow Studies. God skarphet. Good sharpness.
Med HD, veldig bra skarphet, detaljer og dybde, og bra på bevegelser men ikke fullt opp til SD. With HD, very good sharpness, detail and depth, and good for movement but not fully up to SD.

Sony VW50 Sony VW50
SXRD 1080 SXRD 1080

Veldig stillegående. Very quiet.
Med SD, veldig bra svartnivå. With SD, very good black level. Naturtro farger og jevne bevegelser. Richer colors and smooth movements. Litt begrenset kontrast i de mørke fargene. Slightly limited contrast in darker colors.
Med HD, ikke fullt så bra skarphet og dybde som den foregående EMP-TW1000, men mer naturlige farger og sortnivå. With HD, not quite so good clarity and depth that the previous EMP-TW1000, but more natural colors and black level.

Sharp
DLP 1080 DLP 1080

Krever lang avstand til lerret. Requires a long distance to the canvas.
Med SD, veldig bra svartnivå, men lite lysstyrke. With SD, very good black level, but little brightness. Det blir for mørkt i de mørke partiene... It is too dark in the dark parties ...
Med HD, veldig skarpt men for mørkt i de mørke partiene. With HD, very hard but the dark in the dark parties. Muligens er rommet for lyst... May be space for light ...

JVC
D-ILA 1080 D-ILA 1080

Med SD, utrolig god kontrast, god skarphet og fine farger. With SD, exceptional contrast, good sharpness and fine colors. Opplevelse! Fun! Lyse partier blender mens det er topp kontrast og informasjon i mørke partier. Highlights blender while it is the contrast and information in the dark parties. Spesielt imponerende hvor godt den klarer å gjengi farger i selv veldig mørke scener som fra "The Rock". Particularly impressive how well it can reproduce colors even in very dark scenes from "The Rock". På dette området var den et kvantesprang forran de andre modellene. In this area it was a kvantesprang before the other models.
Med HD, utrolig kontrast og mye mer informasjon i bildet enn med de andre. With HD, incredible contrast and more information in the image than with the other. Fine bevegelser. Fine movements.

ProjectionDesign M3 + Crystallio ProjectionDesign M3 + Crystallio
DLP1080

Langt unna WOW effekten fra JVC! Far from WOW effect from JVC!

Med SD, hakker, dårlig kontrast i mørke partier, og de lyse partiene får en blåtone uten smell. With SD, hack, poor contrast in the dark parties, and the bright parties get a Blue Mix without smell. Problemer med bildegjengivelsen... Problems with the image reproduction ... Feil innstilling i Crystallio? Incorrect setting in Crystallio?
Med HD og 4,5 meter bilde, utrolig skarphet og kvitt hakkingen men lite kontrast i mørke partier. With HD and 4.5 meter image, amazing clarity and rid notch but no little contrast in dark areas.

post #65 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 07:58 AM

This is what Auioholics had to say about the 7150, which is the next model up, but probably similar:

Conclusion

Planar is definitely going after the higher-end custom install market with this fine piece of machinery. The PD7150 has exceptional color and contrast (real-world) and phenomenal optics that make for a razor-sharp picture on screen. There are cheaper alternatives, however they may not be as well positioned and feature-rich for the custom install community. They also may not come as well calibrated "out of the box".

Planar has hit a home run with this unit and we're excited to see them address nearly the full range of products at every price point. The next time you're in a grocery store checkout, modernized gas station or hospital and see a Planar screen, you might want to think about getting that logo into you home as well.

Planar PD7150 DLP Projector
MSRP: $5,999
post #66 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 AM

I'm sooooooooo excited. Finally upgrading from my DT-300.

Anyone know when these will start arriving on our doorsteps?
post #67 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post

You are reading it wrong. For a 100" diagonal screen: the minimum lens shift has the projector even with the bottom of the screen (or top of the screen if mounting on a ceiling) not the middle as you state. And the maximum lens shift has the projector 4'1" below the bottom of the screen, or 4'1" above the top of the screen if ceiling mounted - VERY accommodating!

I'm pretty sure I'm correct.
Here is the Planar setup calculator(select the 7130)
http://www.planarhometheater.com/pro...tor%20v1.7.xls

Offset is defined as "center offset" on the calculator - Which is stated as the distance between the centerline of lense and the center of screen.
Max and Min offset numbers are always half the screen height. For example a screen that is 50.6" high(derived from plugging in 90 in screen width) shows Max and Min lense shift dimensionsof +25.3 and -25.3. This means the projector lense is always within the boundary of the screen.

Maybe someone has some more info on this or this calculator is incorrect. It does not seem logical to design a lense shift that puts the projector right in between your eyes and the screen
post #68 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 10:06 AM

I picked one up yesterday. Now I need to figure out how I want to mount it with my suspended (drop) ceiling in the basement. Might have to pull my DIY cap out and see what I can come up with. Lots of good reading on this forum.
post #69 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 AM

I'm not sure I understand the lens shift specs completely but when they say for exp. 100% downward vertical shift I thought that meant 1 image height. So if your image height is 50" and the top of the image is at the center of lens than you could drop the image max 50" below the center of the lens.

I must be wrong. Can anyone explain this better?
post #70 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldarb43 View Post

I'm sooooooooo excited. Finally upgrading from my DT-300.

Anyone know when these will start arriving on our doorsteps?

Next Thurs./Fri. at the earliest...the beginning of the next week more likely.
Woot can take up to a full business week to get there stuff out I've read.
post #71 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgferg67 View Post

I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

Please read page 16 of the owners manual.

What the spreadsheet has you do is mount the PJ lens centered (both vert (DUMB) and horiz) on the middle of the screen, and then use the lens shift to come up with the numbers (maybe even keystone). NOT a good spreadsheet, and it's locked so I can't see the formulas.

Further... say you have 100% lens shift - mount the PJ in the MIDDLE of the screen and you can go +/- 100%... BUT by mounting the PJ in the middle of the screen you have used up 50% of the shift (in this particular example). You can verify this in the manual. The Vert. shift is based on 0" OFFSET. Without lens shift you have no option of mounting the PJ in the MIDDLE of the screen - some DOLT wrote the spreadsheet.

The 7130 has +115% and -100% lens shift, which corresponds to the USELESS spreadsheet. Please throw the spreadsheet away. Planar should hire me
post #72 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

For the 90" wide screen and a ceiling mount the projectors lens can be 4" above the top of the screen to even within the bottom of the screen. It is recommended that you keep the projector within the screen's height. IMHO, you won't see a huge difference if you go the 4" above it. For a table mount it can be 4" below the screen to even with the top of it.

With any lens shift not just this one, the further you shift the lens from its neutral position the more likely you will have chromatic aberrations and bowing. The projectors that have 2-3x height lens shift range all suffer from this, they just don't advertise a recommended range. Marantz shows this with their grid test pattern by changing the color from white to green to let you know you are out of ideal range and so the chromatic aberrations don't interfere with alignment of the screen.

The question that needs to be asked is where is neutral for the projector. Some PJs have neutral at what one might think is the near the extreme. For instance some PJs if ceiling mounted will be in line with the top of the screen and this might be neutral even if the projector can be placed higher or lower.

The Planar I believe neutral is pretty close to the center of the screen. This is often consider ideal for PQ but practically it usually only works when using the PJ in the rear projection set up.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Bob sounds like he knows what's going on - BUT.....

Why list the specs as +115%/-100% if neutral is at 50%? The specs would then read +165%/-50%
post #73 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 10:54 AM

I found this review interesting:

Personal Experience
Picture is just amazingly good. As a big plus for a DLP the big lens shift feature is mentionable. The construction is heavy duty with superb optics and a beautiful case. The picture of a Sanyo z2000 looks shallow next to this beamers picture. The only minus is, that this PJ is not completely quiet
post #74 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Please read page 16 of the owners manual.

What the spreadsheet has you do is mount the PJ lens centered (both vert (DUMB) and horiz) on the middle of the screen, and then use the lens shift to come up with the numbers (maybe even keystone). NOT a good spreadsheet, and it's locked so I can't see the formulas.

Further... say you have 100% lens shift - mount the PJ in the MIDDLE of the screen and you can go +/- 100%... BUT by mounting the PJ in the middle of the screen you have used up 50% of the shift (in this particular example). You can verify this in the manual. The Vert. shift is based on 0" OFFSET. Without lens shift you have no option of mounting the PJ in the MIDDLE of the screen - some DOLT wrote the spreadsheet.

The 7130 has +115% and -100% lens shift, which corresponds to the USELESS spreadsheet. Please throw the spreadsheet away. Planar should hire me

I saw the manual. It's unclear what "upper" and "lower" mean. Lower could mean lowering the image.

Being unfamiliar with lense shift I just looked at the Epson 1080UB manual and the lense shift dimensions on that unit are also just as Planar spreadsheet shows - The projector lense center is set up to the middle of screen height and lense shift is from that point lower or higher. The Epson also shows the lense can only be within the screen boundary.
post #75 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK I'm confused - fallen and can't get up....
post #76 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 11:28 AM

Liked: 53
Sorry,

I went to edit the post and mistakenly deleted it. I know it says 115/100 percent but I don't remember it being that great. Although, we would rarely go that high or below a screen. I don't have one here to check and verify it. I just looked up the dealer price on it and it is >3x the woot price. What a deal!

Bob
post #77 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM

Brian Carskadon, Director of Product ManagementPlanar Systems also describes the offset of the 8150 just as the spreadsheet shows.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t#post13601630

Just like the 7130 spreadsheet shows
post #78 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just called Planar and to me this seems wrong. Either the spec, spreadsheet, or both. Also read the link above stating the same thing.

What they said is essentially the PJ can be mounted anywhere within the screen image to a max of 15% off in one of the directions (but that is less than optimal). To me this not placement flexibility but placement IN-flexibility.

For example a 50" tall image (according to the specs) can be shifted (+115%) +57.5" or (-100%) -50".

What the spreadsheet shows is a lens shift of 100% BUT not +115%/-100%

Who wants a FP in the field of view? Planar?
post #79 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Just called Planar and to me this seems wrong. Either the spec, spreadsheet, or both. Also read the link above stating the same thing.

What they said is essentially the PJ can be mounted anywhere within the screen image to a max of 15% off in one of the directions (but that is less than optimal). To me this not placement flexibility but placement IN-flexibility.

For example a 50" tall image (according to the specs) can be shifted (+115%) +57.5" or (-100%) -50".

What the spreadsheet shows is a lens shift of 100% BUT not +115%/-100%

Who wants a FP in the field of view? Planar?

This what was I was thinking. I never owned a projector with lense shift and was unclear of the dimensions in the manual. I bought the projector thinking no way will I have problems with placement because of this feature.
I thought I was going to just lense shift to my screen and enjoy.
I can't believe I am going to move my screen and tilt the projector and screen
with a projector that has "lense shift".

What a worthless feature.
The middle range of the lense shift should be the same offset as a fixed lense projector.
post #80 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So a fixed PD7060 can be 7.1" above a 70" screen in the spreadsheet

The wonderful, lens shiftless PD7130 can only go 2.9"

The even more expensive PD7150 can only go 0"

Planer wants all the higher end PJ's in your way I guess.

The reviews state this is placement flexibility, someone help me understand that. I'm going to sit down in front of my wife (blocking her view) and watch TV - then tell her we have placement flexibility - isn't it great!
post #81 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM

Is that for table or ceiling mounting?
post #82 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo11 View Post

Is that for table or ceiling mounting?

Neither - the specs are a lie.
post #83 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM

So for example, If my current screen is 12-13" below my HC1500 @ 10ft, I'm fu^^ed?

Looks like a bitch. I was expecting an LCD kind of a lens shift so that I could drop the image those couple of inches... F.
post #84 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:25 PM

My IN72 just hit the $300 mark, with 4 days left, things are looking good.
post #85 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:30 PM

dysfunction, did you start your auction low with no reserve?
I will most likely be putting my Mitsu up for an auction if this CRAZY Planar works in my room.
post #86 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:36 PM
TCP

Nothing to add except I ordered mine at 3:55 am and I'm pumped about this, my first, projector.
post #87 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is from the thread listed above...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If you use the image size calculator located on line (http://www.planarhometheater.com/pro...ulator0308.xls), and click on the PD8150 tab you will see there are three boxes you can modify: screen width (inches); screen gain; projector lumens. For the PD8150 lets assume you have a 87" wide screen. You will see that the calculator will tell you that the projector can be placed between 161" and 208" from the screen using the standard lens that ships with the projector. Then look at the bottom of the sheet and you will see "Center vertical offset, max recommended" and the number is 29.4" meaning that the centerline of the projector lens can be mounted 29.4" above the center of the screen or 5.4" above the top of the screen. This is the -120% of the 1/2 height vertical lens shift. You will also see that the minimum offset is -12.2", meaning that the centerline of the lens could sit 12.2" below the center of the screen. This calculator assumes ceiling mount. The horizontal shift is +/-6.5" from the center of the screen.

I hope this helps.
Brands: Runco, Vidikron, Planar
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"This is the -120% of the 1/2 height vertical lens shift."

Whatever the hell that is, is also stated in the 8150 manual...but the 7130 is clearly un-clear

Guess I'll just put padding on it for all the times I hit my head.

Might have one for sale...gotta go check more measurements.
post #88 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:

dysfunction, did you start your auction low with no reserve?
I will most likely be putting my Mitsu up for an auction if this CRAZY Planar works in my room.

I put a reserve of $299, I figured it is worth about $400, but there was no way I would accept less than $300, I started it at .99 cents. Mine still has a warranty, the last one I saw sold for $455 with no warranty.
post #89 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm fu^^ed?.

Something is not adding up which explains why it was a WOOT deal....

If I choose I 100" diag screen, the zoom range only allows the front of the projector lens to be 10'1" to 12'7" - for the mathematically challenged - that's the front row in most theaters.

Add to that the lack of lens offset puts the projector somewhere between 5'10" and 6' high off the floor (ceiling mounted, but using the floor as a reference).

Good thing the cables are hidden, cuz this POS just took over the 'LOOK' of my HT. Can you tell I'm frustrated?
post #90 of 1583 Old 10-03-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Something is not adding up which explains why it was a WOOT deal....

If I choose I 100" diag screen, the zoom range only allows the front of the projector lens to be 10'1" to 12'7" - for the mathematically challenged - that's the front row in most theaters.

Add to that the lack of lens offset puts the projector somewhere between 5'10" and 6' high off the floor (ceiling mounted, but using the floor as a reference).

Good thing the cables are hidden, cuz this POS just took over the 'LOOK' of my HT. Can you tell I'm frustrated?

My Infocus is currently mounted about 8' from the floor to the center of the lens and about 12 1/2 feet from the screen (ceiling mounted of course). Is this going to be a problem for me? I sit about 9-10 feet from the screen. Or is it possible to shelf mount if the shelf is about 7' high from the floor?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page