Official Planar PD7130 owners thread

144K views 2K replies 112 participants last post by  DLK 
#1 ·
Mine should be here shortly...thought I'd get the official thing going
I'll be installing into a dedicated HT, Phifer SheerWeave 4500 AT screen

Translated review link here

Owners manual:
http://www.planar.com/products/docs/...50-english.pdf

Firmware: (no updates listed for this model)
http://apps.planar.com/downloads/hometheater/

HDMI - DVI adapter (TBD if this is an OK solution)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=16

Bulb and/or extended warranty - for those concerned about replacement cost:
http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warra...tor_combo.html
http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/p...productid=1001

Mack 1065

more...

current threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post14785480
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1071920

See less See more
#1,303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo11 /forum/post/15465465

1080p is listed as a supported resolution.

Works fine for me over component, not over HDMI.

Which is a largely dubious distinction considering that no 1080p hi-def material can be output at 1080p over component as a restriction of DRM.

Anyway, 1080p doesn't work properly in any incarnation over DVI. In light of the above DRM issue I'm hazarding to state that 1080p doesn't work properly in any meaningful sense, period.

#1,304 ·
Gentlemen I take your points. I had not paid much attention to the the 1080 issue. I tried 1080 P 24 using the PS3 over HDMI/DVI and it worked of course with the infamous tearing. It even registered as 1080/24 in the status sub-menu.

I just think of it as a 720P and that is all I expect and since all of my sources are capable of feeding 720P and the projector will scale anything I feed it to 720P what is gained by inputting 1080?

On another issue I believe I have read here that some cannot see the firmware version in the status menu, while mine and others do have it present under status.

In the end I/we may just have to live with what we have, but then again Planar may live up to the "Customer First" credo they espouse in their literature. To be fair they have my projector in for repair now over the fan speed being erratic, so I can't say they don't back their product.

You just have to wonder why it can't do what is advertised to do! I am of course hoping for strength in numbers to get an answer (fingers crossed).

#1,305 ·
I just received and email from Planar support yesterday in response to my fan issue, which I filed via email on 12-23-08. Sort of late as I called on December 29th, and was issued a RMA number so my 7150 is now in the shop.

I am going to use this fan issue email to address the inaccessible menu items since I now have their attention.

When I do so, I would like to list the total number of owners here who are concerned.

It would be best to list by model 7130/7150 what menu items owners cannot access, the firmware version if yours is present in status.

Below is an example of the information as listed by another member.

If you would provide your Model and Firmware version with a simple yes, I have some or all of these problems then I can get total number to report to Planar and hope the numbers will impress them enough to address the issue.

I feel we need these adjustments functional or at least know why they aren't.

----------------------------

7130 version 212.03.208

picture menu ---- color/tint (shows up using component)

options menu ----de-interlace (grayed out using component)

Keystone works using component.

Horizontal and vertical positioning work fine using component.

picture menu ---- color/tint (grayed out using DVI)

options menu ----de-interlace (grayed out using DVI)

Keystone works using DVI.

Horizontal and vertical positioning does not show up when using DVI.

I intend to email Planar tomorrow Jan. 8th.

#1,306 ·
Hi I registered on the Planar website, so you can quote me as having the same greyed out areas in the menu. Right now, I am able to get the purported 1080p/24 on my 7130 with the latest FW at the time I wooted for this. I am getting a tearing mostly during the fast pacing change of scenes or explosive scenes. Otherwise, not too shabby. This is working ONLY with my new also wooted BD player, Memorex 2510, but not with my other HD-DVD players of any kind.

#1,307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo11 /forum/post/15276627

lanb,

Right now I'm using HDMI -> DVI. The 1080p displayed using this connection is all messed up .

The Player limits the max resolution over component to 1080i. I think this is true for all blu-ray players due to the copyright issues.

I will try the component connection, as soon as I get another Blu-Ray in the mail. I would like to know if this will help with the 24Hz feature or not.

As far as the settings, between 720p and 1080i I think the latter is better. The only other thing I changed was color to RGB 0-255 otherwise my blacks come out greyish.

TV Type: 16:9

Screen Format: Original

DVD Aspect Ratio: Letter Box

Cinema Conversion Mode: Auto

Output Video Format: HDMI/1080i

BD-ROM 1080/24p Output: Auto

YCbCr/RGB (HDMI): Auto

x.v.Color Output: Auto

Pause Mode: Auto

Finally finished the flooring - yay !! and got to hook up the Sony BDP-S350

to planar 7130 directly.

Using HDMI -> DVI cable (from monoprice) i get nothing, the DVD player does not even recognize the HDMI connection (greyed out).

The cable works as a cheapo LG DVD player is able to output to the planar

via hdmi -> dvi.

Is it the sony hdcp preventing the connection. I read some issues in the BDP-S350 thread. Any other pointers ? I am going to check the dvd player by connecting to my tv.

Using Component, i was able to output 720P (upscaling a SD DVD)

#1,308 ·
IF you are interested in getting features enabled in the PD7130/7150 menu, I need to hear from you. I need to know;

Your Model

Your Firmware Version number

What is not working

For those who responded, thank you, I will PM you with the results of my contact with Planar on these issues and any instructions or explanations they may provide.

For those who did not respond, then I will assume you have no interest , or happy with things as they are, or do not have any issues.

#1,309 ·
Richum,

If you could wait until the 9th I will be able to get you my issues on my 7150. From what I recall the following can not be accessed.

picture menu ---- color/tint (grayed out using DVI)

options menu ----de-interlace (grayed out using DVI

Firmware does not show up in the status area

Thats all I can remember but won't be able to confirm until tomorrow night when I can check everything.

#1,310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richum /forum/post/15491203

IF you are interested in getting features enabled in the PD7130/7150 menu, I need to hear from you. I need to know;

Your Model

What is not working

For those who responded, thank you, I will PM you with the results of my contact with Planar on these issues and any instructions or explanations they may provide.

For those who did not respond, then I will assume you have no interest , or happy with things as they are, or do not have any issues.

Done. Thanks for taking the initiative.

#1,311 ·

Quote:

Your Model

What is not working

PD 7150

No 1080p/60, tearing with 1080p/24

Lamp flickers

#1,313 ·

Quote:

Your Model

What is not working

Great idea Richum, include me in

PD 7150

About a month ago Lamp started to flicker when on eco mode using my hd-dvd to play movies. I switched to my samsung blu-ray as my player and it was much less noticeable. I followed a suggestion from this forum to turn off the eco mode for a while (about a week) and it worked for me.

It would be nice if the projector had a firmware with an updated EDID so it will accept 1080p/24 from my hd-dvd player or anyother device that cannot force that mode.

#1,316 ·
Unplugging my projector for a whole day fixed the hyperactive fan for now. 4 days problem free now.

I will see what Planar says because I was getting ready to send the unit in.

Color/tint works fine on analog connections.

Pretty sure it's greyed out on HDMI because of incompatible signal. RGB vs YCbCr

UPDATE: sending my projector to Planar for FAN / bulb flickering

#1,317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereyes /forum/post/15496412

PD 7150

About a month ago Lamp started to flicker when on eco mode using my hd-dvd to play movies. I switched to my samsung blu-ray as my player and it was much less noticeable. I followed a suggestion from this forum to turn off the eco mode for a while (about a week) and it worked for me.

It would be nice if the projector had a firmware with an updated EDID so it will accept 1080p/24 from my hd-dvd player or anyother device that cannot force that mode.

Good stuff, the more detailed we can be the better. I hope to try to lay out as many issues as I can in one email. Hopefully we can get most or all of these resolved.

#1,318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereyes /forum/post/15496412

PD 7150

Wow, this is exactly what I've experienced. I just wasn't that specific in my post. I'll try the lamp trick and see if it helps.

#1,321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/15528661

When my lamp goes on my 7130 I think I will replace it with the higher wattage lamp used in the 7150. I think the cooling path and fan assemblies are the same for both projectors.

Planar's online store lists the same bulb for both the 7130 and 7150. Maybe the 7150 has the circuitry and power supply to power the burner at its max rating and the 7130 does not. Unless I am missing something they are the same.

#1,322 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/15528661

When my lamp goes on my 7130 I think I will replace it with the higher wattage lamp used in the 7150. I think the cooling path and fan assemblies are the same for both projectors.

If it's the same bulb, then the following is a non issue:

Smaller DLP in the 7130 may hot dissipate heat we well as the larger 7150.

#1,324 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/15533471

I should have looked it up rather than go by memory. For some reason I had it in my head that the 7150 used a lamp that was 50 watts larger. That is not the case. They both use the same lamp : Osram P-VIP 250/1.3 E21.8 23.87109.021A. Sorry about that guys.

That's good news if you ask me. I found that lamp/bulb only for $199, so I think I will buy one as a backup.

#1,327 ·
Looks like I have a new problem with this PJ - my lamp shuts off after about a minute. PJ is still on (fans) and the remote powers the rest down.....just the lamp shuts off. Turn back on, does it again (did this several times).

On top of all the other irritating stuff this projector does, now this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.