AVS Forum banner

Calling you out...who owns a LED projector?

24K views 98 replies 29 participants last post by  rtchinn 
#1 ·
Anyone? There are 800x600 150 lumen models out now:

LG HS102 160 lumens, 2000:1 MSRP $600 Unfortunately only available in Korea right now.
http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/hs102.jhtml

screenshots from HS102:

http://blog.naver.com/kih3115?Redire...No=20052255053

Samsung P400 150 lumens, 1000:1 MSRP $600

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...cd=SPP400BX/EN

Presumably these use the same dlp chip and PhlatLight LEDS so how is the LG getting a 2000:1 contrast?

I'm thinking of maybe trying one of these out in the next couple months. If anyone has first-hand experience please share!

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/15435933

Like I said before - one of the big selling points for LED Projectors (aside from bulb life and portability/battery options) was the elimination of RBE.

Until I read that someone trusted (ie. an AVS user) experiences RBE with an LED DLP PJ, I'll continue to believe the issue has been resolved.

Those claims belong back children stories crate.

I used to have one of those Samsung LED DLP rear-projection TV's (hlt5087s) and the rainbows were as visible as ever.

Light passes thru a spinning color wheel to produce different colors in a goold old DLP system. In a LED DLP, you have 3 led light sources red, green and blue which flash in succession. Same end result.

#53 ·
#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo11 /forum/post/15450973

good info johnzo,

what's the largest image size you can get with this little projector?

Right now thats 115" (16:9) more if the projector was set to (4:3).

Just to let you guys know, we are running the projector 14+ hours a day =).

(I have roomates that do nothing)

#56 ·

I'm looking at my 360 box and in disbelief that the projector is that small.

#57 ·
From http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1071205

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsv /forum/post/15507577

HS102 also has internal decoder and able to play mpeg1/2/4/divx from usb flashcard.

Being an owner of Dell M109 you can put your opinion and pics in this thread:
Calling you out...who owns a LED projector?

Well I will have to bower a camera for the pictures my cellphone camera is high resolution but has a very tiny tiny lens.

I run it at about ~100" on my wall. It is mounted on one wall throwing to the opposite wall in an average sized rectangular bedroom. Screen door effect is minimal and half the throw distance away from the screen I can't notice the pixels/screen door at all.

It is not a very bright projector and at 100 inches I completely blackout my room to get the best viewing possible. Cannot use it with this size screen with very much ambient light at all. Turning on my room lights almost completely washes the image off my wall. I would like to purchase a screen but do not have the budget for one. I have an old da-lite screen but unfortunately its too small for the new throw
I am only guessing that with a high gain screen you could use it much easier with ambient light. Cloudy day with light entering the room but not reflecting too much off the wall I can watch movies easily.

As for color reproduction:

I find this projector has a lot of green/blue which you really have tone down. With some fiddling it looks quite nice, to me anyway.

As for picture quality:

DVDrips with Xvid really are not that nice looking. Playing 720p rips is where it is at. It does a decent job at displaying them. Not as good as my tiny pixel pitch LCD monitor but good none the less. I mean you can't expect perfectly crisp HD definition at 800x600 but definitely better the dvd quality.

Noise:

The Dell M109S is one noisy little unit. You can see a little 40mm fan in there just going nuts
It can get pretty hot also. The fan seems to have very little if no speed variation.

Inputs:

The Composite input does not have any ?feedback? to the output device as far as I can tell. I cannot get it to output off my vista computer. I have not tried XP but I will. Conclusion for now is that you have to force output to it. The VGA seems to work fine.

Problems:

For me this projector has a huge flaw. It will not focus uniformly at all. I am trying to get dell to send me a new unit. They have failed twice to send it out. 10+ hours on the phone so far. As far as Dell has told me so far that is unit is definitely defective. I suspect something is just out of alignment. I will report back again when I do finally receive a new unit.

Can never seem to keep the unit even uniformly out of focus
Seems to change on heatup/cooldown or maybe my cat is just moving it around by playing with the cables. It is just sitting on the mount with its own weight at the moment. I will strap it down later.

One other annoyance is it seems to have problems scaling some resolutions and can attempt switching a few times before it finally settles.

Features:

No remote is a real pain if your going to be mounting it somewhere. There is no wake-up/standby mode as far as I can tell. It turns itself off but will not power back on by itself.

Conclusion:

A bit noisy, need a dark area for large throw/screen, no remote, no standard mounting holes but for $500 (CAD) shipped I can't really complain as long as the new unit comes in with 0 focus issues.

I would recommend this more if someone was mobile. I love to have this thing with me on long trips as I can put a screen basically anywhere with a small car inverter!

Quality wise the only thing that worries me is the proprietary break-out cable/connector. It is definently not as durable as just the regular output jacks but I am sure this plays into the units very small form factor and weight.

#59 ·
I just got my dalite 110" high power, lovin it. Will post pics later.

I have a real crazy idea, someone should take the 61" samsung LED rear projection engine out and make a projector out of it. My P400 has the Phatlight P121 chip set (4:3) the samsung tv has the Phatlight P120 (16:9) chip set. All you would have to do is change the projection lens. You can get a nice lens from a broken projector on ebay. And rig up some type of enclosure, bam $1300 led 1080p projector

#60 ·
dalite high power is the best way to go, especially with a low lumen projector like this. Its too bad there aren't more affordable high gain screens other than dalite but perhaps as more of these LEDs come to market that may change.

Where'd you get and how much for 110"?

Victor

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzo1995 /forum/post/15538775

I have a real crazy idea, someone should take the 61" samsung LED rear projection engine out and make a projector out of it.
Same idea in my head too

But very hard to realize... Cant find good man in US who can sell me only stripped electronics parts from box and leave cabinet, screen and mirrors for free
Ready to pay more than actual average cost of Samsung 61A750.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsv /forum/post/15540708

Same idea in my head too

But very hard to realize... Cant find good man in US who can sell me only stripped electronics parts from box and leave cabinet, screen and mirrors for free
Ready to pay more than actual average cost of Samsung 61A750.

I think it would be a better idea to buy the whole TV. The tv comes with all the input boards to drive the DMD engine. If you bought the engine from the parts website - I don't think it comes with all of the PCB boards to run the TV.

We should start a new thread on this, set up a paypal donation thing, and get someone to do it.

If and when 1080p LED projector come out and they are going to be $3000, this would be a $1300 DIY solution.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzo1995 /forum/post/15541900

I think it would be a better idea to buy the whole TV. The tv comes with all the input boards to drive the DMD engine. If you bought the engine from the parts website - I don't think it comes with all of the PCB boards to run the TV.

We should start a new thread on this, set up a paypal donation thing, and get someone to do it.

If and when 1080p LED projector come out and they are going to be $3000, this would be a $1300 DIY solution.

I love this idea. It's been in my head for a few months now.

Help me out on some issues/questions, please. Are these statements correct?

1. From what I can tell you wouldn't even have to buy the 67 inch Samsung, the 61 incher would do the job. Same internals.

2. The 1080p DLP chip in the Sammy is wobulated.

3. Light output is going to be low, so a high gain screen and a dark room are mandatory to get, say a 100 inch diagonal image.

4. The current generation of Sammys can correctly display a 24p image. If I understand correctly, they operate on at 120hz. All frames in 60fps signals are doubled and all frames in a 24fps signal are displayed 5 times.

5. New lens needed to handle different throw distance and focus.

6. And most importantly, a direct front projection of the image straight out of the lens would result in a backwards image (left/right flopped).

-R

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan /forum/post/15572982

I love this idea. It's been in my head for a few months now.

Help me out on some issues/questions, please. Are these statements correct?

1. From what I can tell you wouldn't even have to buy the 67 inch Samsung, the 61 incher would do the job. Same internals.

2. The 1080p DLP chip in the Sammy is wobulated.

3. Light output is going to be low, so a high gain screen and a dark room are mandatory to get, say a 100 inch diagonal image.

4. The current generation of Sammys can correctly display a 24p image. If I understand correctly, they operate on at 120hz. All frames in 60fps signals are doubled and all frames in a 24fps signal are displayed 5 times.

5. New lens needed to handle different throw distance and focus.

6. And most importantly, a direct front projection of the image straight out of the lens would result in a backwards image (left/right flopped).

-R

1.yes

2.yes

3.350-400Lm from PT120 to 100"-110" Dalite HP screen will be good for me

4.yes

5.yes

6.service menu -> change flip-flop

Happy people from US and Canada, at ~$1500 you can buy LED DLP 3D

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawizard /forum/post/15587933

You can get a 2500 lumen LED array for under $200 USD shipped from luminus's phlatlight distributor. I might attempt to put this white high power LED in a DLP projector.

Sweet. If you decide to do that you will need to disable your projectors bulb detection and startup so it runs without a bulb. May not be exactly the same process for your projector but this should help:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index...howtopic=24836 A helpful post or two here

Obviously projector should be unplugged and given plenty of time to discharge before attempting this.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus /forum/post/15588112

Sweet. If you decide to do that you will need to disable your projectors bulb detection and startup so it runs without a bulb. May not be exactly the same process for your projector but this should help:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index...howtopic=24836 A helpful post or two here

Obviously projector should be unplugged and given plenty of time to discharge before attempting this.

Yeah read all those posts already

I just need to get my hands on some broken projectors.

#73 ·
I'm interested as well. I have an Eiki XGA lcd I'm waiting to gut once a light source is found

Victor

#74 ·
mouser, digikey, cutter (australia) have what you're looking for. You would probably want a light engine or module if you want an easier method. Alternatively you could use a lot of individual high-power LEDs (or some Cree MC-Es).

How will you power it? How will you cool it? You need an adequate LED driver (current regulated is better than voltage regulated for LEDs) and a pretty big heatsink if you're going with really high powered modules (even with a fan you will need a heatsink).

#76 ·
Can anyone comment how is watching movie on p400? I briefly used Mitsubishi PK-20 a year ago and it was horrible on my eyes... I usually watch movies with some light on the background because complete darkness hurts my eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.