Official Mitsubishi hc6500 owners thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1216 Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After waiting for two weeks, I picked up my HC6500 last night. Currently my theater room is "under construction": But even though I am not set up, I HAD to take it out of the box and set it up in my bedroom with sponge painted walls! At about 13' to the wall and about a 112" diagonal, the picture was very bright in high lamp. This was with ambient light behind the projector. The box says "whisper quiet fan". No kidding. Even in high lamp, I had to put my ear to the projector to hear it at all! I had it setting on my D*HD reciever temporarily to hook it up. I could hear the D* box over the Mitsubishi! I am very pleased with my first projector! If my son will help, in a week or so, I will post some photos. However on the "sponge wall" Football looked really good to me.

Life is short, don't wait...do it today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1216 Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on your first projector...my HC6500 will be here on Friday...my 100" Elite ez (white) screen comes tomorrow, this new setup will be replacing my trusty very noisy Infocus 4805 with DIY screen. I can't wait. I will be posting pictures in a week or 2. BTW I found this new review on the HC6500. Enjoy!

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...-a-first-look/

Joe V.
post #3 of 1216 Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 PM

Liked: 11
Yes happy you are happy Gregg. My HC6500 has been running flawlessly for about a week now. I love the black level on this puppy, its incredible. I also like the brightness. Nice to know this projector can handle a little ambient light here and there. I will post some more photos tonight. Just picked up Iron Man on BD. So I will shoot some pics tonight.
post #4 of 1216 Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Congrats on your first projector...my HC6500 will be here on Friday...my 100" Elite ez (white) screen comes tomorrow, this new setup will be replacing my trusty very noisy Infocus 4805 with DIY screen. I can't wait. I will be posting pictures in a week or 2. BTW I found this new review on the HC6500. Enjoy!

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...-a-first-look/

I can't believe how quiet this is. I have to put my ear right next to the projector to hear any fan noise. Wow.

post #5 of 1216 Old 10-14-2008, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post

Yes happy you are happy Gregg. My HC6500 has been running flawlessly for about a week now. I love the black level on this puppy, its incredible. I also like the brightness. Nice to know this projector can handle a little ambient light here and there. I will post some more photos tonight. Just picked up Iron Man on BD. So I will shoot some pics tonight.

I am tech challenged, totally incapable of posting photos myself. But, I am a contractor, so I am rapidly turning my former living room into a theater this week.
Built a platform for my seating, with step lites, added can lites right above our heads for reading/avs surfing while watching the projector and have repainted room with darker colors, bought black out drapery and installed a couple halogen lites to shine on framed movie posters!! I have gone crazy for theater. All thanks to AVS Forum! Anyone want a well used 57" Sony RPTV? Greg

post #6 of 1216 Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 AM

I can't wait to hear more impressions about this projector
post #7 of 1216 Old 10-15-2008, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone calibrate theirs yet...like with a calibration disk. Mine comes tomorrow instead of Friday. Problem is my 25' HDMI cable comes on Monday. I hope fedex was nice to my projector.

Joe V.
post #8 of 1216 Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

I plan on using a calibration disc, because after buying this unit, money is tight Of course, the new flooring,carpet,lights,door,screen,drapes,platform,paint,cab les,mount,seats and drywall might have something to do with the lack of funds for calibration!

post #9 of 1216 Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGreg View Post

I plan on using a calibration disc, because after buying this unit, money is tight Of course, the new flooring,carpet,lights,door,screen,drapes,platform,paint,cab les,mount,seats and drywall might have something to do with the lack of funds for calibration!

Been there myself...my room has been done for years...I'm just upgrading my screen and projector. I can't wait!

Joe V.
post #10 of 1216 Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Note!!!!

Art Feierman emailed me today and will be releasing a full review on this projector at Projector Review...he told me he is running behind schedule and hopes to do it possibly next week. I am so looking forward to his full review as so many other's are. He will also provide his calibration numbers from his review...Sweet! Stay tuned!

Joe V.
post #11 of 1216 Old 10-16-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

HDGreg -- Calibration discs are not expensive. The DVD HD Basics [Blu-Ray] calibration disc is less than $20 from Amazon - mine should be here tomorrow. I can spend more than that on a meal for two.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #12 of 1216 Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

HDGreg -- Calibration discs are not expensive. The DVD HD Basics [Blu-Ray] calibration disc is less than $20 from Amazon - mine should be here tomorrow. I can spend more than that on a meal for two.

Claus, thank you for the info. I had no idea of the cost. This is the first time I have been able to respond to you. Your efforts on this forum are greatly appreciated by me. I always appreciate your input. Thank you. Greg

post #13 of 1216 Old 10-16-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I received my projector today...I had to check it out so I put in the movie Transformers in HD DVD and I was totally thrilled by the picture this projector puts out. Quiet as a mouse...the black level was excellent...colors were very nice...the picture is razor sharp. I am very happy with this projector. It's a keeper!!! I hope to calibrate next week and report back hopefully with some pictures. I still have to figure out how to post pictures on the AVS? BTW the horrible ceiling mount that I had received did not fit the rather large screw layout on the projector...I ended up going to a high end video/audio store near by to pick the right ceiling mount up and paid dearly. I ended up with a Chief RPMU and it's a beaut. My screen is a Elite ez frame fixed 100" in white. Later

Joe V.
post #14 of 1216 Old 10-17-2008, 02:32 PM

I bought this pj a couple of weeks ago. Made a custom shelf and have it mounted up high on the back wall, shooting a 110" diag 16:9 image on the front wall. Gonna pair it w/ a Panamorph U85 lens for a 104" diag 2.35:1 image CIH system. Made the shelf out of 3/4" MDF, and cut the front of it to follow the lines of the pj. It really did come out nice. My girlfriend just ordered a new digital camera, so I'll take some pix when it comes in. Gonna use a Carada 2.35:1 screen w/ the Brilliant White material. As far as the image on a bare wall, AMAZING! I own a small HT design & install company (not trying to compete w/ AVS, I am located in Texas), and this is by far the quietest pj I've installed. I love CIH, and have installed 5 full CIH systems in the last 2 years using Optoma pjs. The HC6500 will be the first LCD 1080p I have worked with (did I mention it's installed in my demo room, which happens to be in my house!!!!!

"Life doesn't get much better than watching a DVD movie blown up to near-theater size in the comfort of your own home" - Sound & Vision Magazine June 2002
post #15 of 1216 Old 10-18-2008, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Art just posted his review of the Mitsubishi HC6500: http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...6500/index.php. It looks like it is a really good unit, better than its HC5500 sibling. However, without online sales (at least for now), it's going to be more expensive than some of it's direct competitors, bummer.

post #16 of 1216 Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

...it's going to be more expensive than some of it's direct competitors, bummer.

Still, one wonders how guys who pawned Grandma's jewelry to buy a $30k Sony just a few years ago are feeling about $3,500 list!
post #17 of 1216 Old 10-18-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

So no one believes that by buying the projector from a dealer listed on Mitsubishi's OWN SITE, that the warranty would be void? That seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. For example, BB has it in store and online for the same price. BB does not specifically state at BB.com that the warranty coverage is void. How can that be enforced by Mits' if they are not forcing the dealers to state this fact?

post #18 of 1216 Old 10-18-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Art just posted his review of the Mitsubishi HC6500: http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...6500/index.php. It looks like it is a really good unit, better than its HC5500 sibling. However, without online sales (at least for now), it's going to be more expensive than some of it's direct competitors, bummer.

This projector really does shine and I agree with Art's review. I am perfectly happy and find no reason to upgrade any time soon maybe never. BTW If you look hard enough you will be able to find and negotiate a better price even at Best Buy. There is a huge mark up on this projector believe me...a major mark up. I want to say $2500-$2800 should be the respectable street price. I got mine for far less than the $2500 mark with a ceiling mount...I went through a friend who is a custom installer and yes I got the full 2 year warranty. So shop smart everyone...Negotiate hard and bring with you, printed prices off the internet You will be surprise what you can do price wise. Good Luck!

Joe V.
post #19 of 1216 Old 10-18-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

HDGreg -- BB is, technically, not an online store - even though they advertise online. So buying one from them is not an "online" purchase. The same is true of CC, Tweeter, and others, that have B&M stores.

I doubt if Mitsubishi would void the warranty and take punitive measures against authorized dealers who do ship from an online purchase. After all, they do want to sell PJs. With price pressures from the new Panasonic, Epson, and Sanyo, models selling for less than the HC6500, the incentive "to look the other way" is going to be a big factor.

I am guessing that Mitsubishi put that statement on their web page (it wasn't there the first time I looked) to bolster the sales of their HC5500. With a less than $300 difference (before the $200 HC5500 rebate) difference in price, their marketing dept. doesn't want to kill sales of the HC5500 (which hasn't been on the market for very long).

jwv651 -- This is one PJ that definitely requires negotiation.

post #20 of 1216 Old 10-19-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=CT_Wiebe;14893123]HDGreg -- BB is, technically, not an online store - even though they advertise online. So buying one from them is not an "online" purchase. The same is true of CC, Tweeter, and others, that have B&M stores.

I doubt if Mitsubishi would void the warranty and take punitive measures against authorized dealers who do ship from an online purchase. After all, they do want to sell PJs. With price pressures from the new Panasonic, Epson, and Sanyo, models selling for less than the HC6500, the incentive "to look the other way" is going to be a big factor.

I am guessing that Mitsubishi put that statement on their web page (it wasn't there the first time I looked) to bolster the sales of their HC5500. With a less than $300 difference (before the $200 HC5500 rebate) difference in price, their marketing dept. doesn't want to kill sales of the HC5500 (which hasn't been on the market for very long).
Claus, I agree. Mitsubishi has got its products priced very close. Without using the warranty as "protection" , sales prices of the hc6500 are very close to the hc5500. And Art's review of the 6500 and how much better it is for only a few $$ more would really hurt sales of the hc5500. BTW, I did order the calibration disc from Amazon. Thanks

post #21 of 1216 Old 10-19-2008, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Anybody properly calibrated theirs yet and want to share the settings?
post #22 of 1216 Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 PM

I've had mine up for about 2 weeks now. I am very happy with this thing! It is much quieter,brighter and has a better picture than my old Sharp XV-Z2000. Granted it only displayed 720P verses this one with 1080P. Iron Man on Blu-Ray looks amazing and playing games on my 360 look real good too. I picked it up from BB for 2570 otd. If the changes made for calibration are to be made, I'm pretty positive they will be minimal.
post #23 of 1216 Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM

I took these pics from "The Prestige" on Bluray. I will post more tomorrow night.

The first pic is of the projector itself, the other two are scenes from the movie. Please excuse the grain in my shots.
LL
LL
LL
post #24 of 1216 Old 10-19-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Woah! BB charges list...?!?!?
post #25 of 1216 Old 10-20-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the 1.6:1 zoom sufficient to do poor man's CIH? If so, this'll be my next upgrade
post #26 of 1216 Old 10-20-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstromme View Post

Anybody properly calibrated theirs yet and want to share the settings?

According to Art from Projector Review they came up with these numbers. I have not tried them yet.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...6500/index.php

Contrast= -2
Brightness= 3
Gamma= Auto
Color Temp= Medium
Lamp Mode= Standard (unless noted otherwise)
Iris= Off
Color=0
Tint=0
Contrast
Red= -1
Green= -6
Blue= -11
Brightness
Red= -4
Green= 6
Blue= -1
Gamma was manually set to:
(All - as in same for R, G, and B)
High= -3
Medium = -3
Low = -7

Joe V.
post #27 of 1216 Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 View Post

Is the 1.6:1 zoom sufficient to do poor man's CIH? If so, this'll be my next upgrade

It certainly should be, provided of course you can match your screen-and-mounting location. Go to projectorcentral and play with the Calculator Pro. It doesn't have a 2.35 option so you'll have to use Image Height to make sure the pj's zoom range works for you.
post #28 of 1216 Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 AM

I have a 120in Stewart Firehawk. Does this projector have enough horsepower for this size screen. I have a completely light controlled viewing environment. I prefer a bright picture. I'm currently using the Mits HD1000 and I want to upgrade to 1080P.

Thanks

CSMAB
post #29 of 1216 Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM

anyone notice a burning smell when they turn it on and it runs for a few minutes? Is this normal, and if so, is it unhealthy?
post #30 of 1216 Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
No burning smell here, sounds like something might be wrong.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc6500 Lcd Projector 1200 Ansi Lumens 1920 X 1080 Widescre
Gear in this thread - Hc6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page