Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 291
^ Panasonic says, to paraphrase: "Don't do it."

Just because a replacement, alternative bulb may "happen" to fit doesn't mean that the cooling needs, voltage/current demands, or light path color filter color temperature/tint requirements are the same, in fact there is every reason to assume they are all different between the two models.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Hi All,

Anybody here have successfully cleaning the dust blobs of Panasonic PT-AE3000U? After about 800 hours, the dust globs have become unbearable for me. I wanted to bring the unit to Panasonic but they require me to bring the unit in to Mississauga and they have 2-3 weeks turnaround time... AND after that I will have to go to Mississauga again to pick up the unit. Which means I will lose 2 days of work time since the don't open after hours.

Anybody can help me with this matter?

Yes I've read the instructions in cleaning the light path, but other than camera and optical transports, I'm too nervous in opening the light path to clean it although I do have the air-rocket to blow dust off my camera sensor and have been cleaning camera sensor for the past 6 years.

I live in the 404 - Majormack area.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Old 05-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Hi All,

Anybody here have successfully cleaning the dust blobs of Panasonic PT-AE3000U? After about 800 hours, the dust globs have become unbearable for me. I wanted to bring the unit to Panasonic but they require me to bring the unit in to Mississauga and they have 2-3 weeks turnaround time... AND after that I will have to go to Mississauga again to pick up the unit. Which means I will lose 2 days of work time since the don't open after hours.

Yes I've read the instructions in cleaning the light path, but other than camera and optical transports, I'm too nervous in opening the light path to clean it although I do have the air-rocket to blow dust off my camera sensor and have been cleaning camera sensor for the past 6 years.

Hi David.
Cleaning dust blobs is really an easy task. Follow the tutorial.
You just have to open the 2 top covers, rest the PJ on one side and blow the LCD area. See first what color are your blobs to locate the LCD/s that you are going to blow. On a white image: magenta blob = blow on the green LCD; cyan blob = blob on the red LCD; yellow blob = blob on the blue LCD. I live in Argentina so I can't personally help you. If you need the Service Manual, I had the AE2000's that may be useful. PM your e-mail and I will send it to you. Good luck.
PS. 700 hs and zero dust blobs on mine. I had 1 on my AE2000 (my fault) and several on my others Panasonic PJs.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Ferbal. The dustblobs are grey (with varying degrees of lightness) when the screen is black. When the screen is blue, I can't see any dustblob.

PS: you've got PM.

my home theatre

Old 05-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you Ferbal. The dustblobs are grey (with varying degrees of lightness) when the screen is black. When the screen is blue, I can't see any dustblob.

PS: you've got PM.

AE2000 Manual send. If they are not present on a blue screen, that LCD is clean. Try an all white image and see again the dustblobs.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

nothing on the all-white either. So where the dust may be settling on then?

PS: got the manual. Thanks!

my home theatre

Old 05-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

nothing on the all-white either. So where the dust may be settling on then?

PS: got the manual. Thanks!

If I got you right: you see no dust on a blue screen and no dust on a white screen.
See this diagram of the light path of a LCD PJ:
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcd...htPath-ann.jpg
or
http://cineforhome.com/reviews/proje...yoZ4/Pic18.JPG
The dust could not be located on the blue dichroic mirror / Blue polarizer/LCD because you don't see dust with a blue screen. Then it could be: on the green dichroic mirror or on the Green or/and Red Polarizers/LCDs.
Do you see dust on a red or/and green screen?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi All,

David, I just did mine. I call them "clear" dust blobs. What I did was, using "canned" air I cleaned all 3 lcd's & associated filters and also the rear surface of the actual lens assembly. I believe it is the lens surface where the clear blobs are (hence no color) If you look inside there is a small gap between the lcd assembly & the lens assembly. Shoot some air in that gap. Hope that helps
Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Gerry, I also think that the dust blobs are behind the lens hence the white colour regardless of colour I projected.

Are you located in the GTA?

Cheers,
DS

PS: I'm too chicken to open my own projo.

my home theatre

Old 06-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Hi Gerry, I also think that the dust blobs are behind the lens hence the white colour regardless of colour I projected.

Are you located in the GTA?

Cheers,
DS

PS: I'm too chicken to open my own projo.

Hi David,
No I am in Delaware. The best detailed instructions to do it yourself are on page 105 message#3142 (I can't add the link - I do not have enough posts on here to allow it)
My projector is ceiling mounted & actually cleaned it without taking it down! If you are scared then possibly try to find a local TV repairman/ electronic tech. It is straight forward but you need to be a person that likes to take things apart, is not clumsy & does not over tighten screws. All you are doing is taking 2 covers off & removing the lamp. Then shooting air in the right spots. Reassemble & test. Good Luck, Gerry
Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It's strange and it seems like I'm making up excuses. But in the end I'm just too gutless to do work on my projector. I used to be a service technician for optical drives at Yamaha (this is during the time when laser heads were expensive and we had to actually replace the laser head as opposed to the laserhead assembly like today) and I can do up to 40 laser head repairs (including recalibration etc).

Compared to what I've done in the past, in theory, this is supposed to be a breeze (also I even have a work bench for these kind of things at home -- including EEPROM reprogramming) but again, as I said, I'm too coward to do it.

Maybe when it reaches the point where I get really really annoyed with the dust blobs I'll finally break down and do it (or if I find a common hobbyist in the area).

my home theatre

Old 06-07-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:

It's strange and it seems like I'm making up excuses. But in the end I'm just too gutless to do work on my projector. I used to be a service technician for optical drives at Yamaha (this is during the time when laser heads were expensive and we had to actually replace the laser head as opposed to the laserhead assembly like today) and I can do up to 40 laser head repairs (including recalibration etc).

Compared to what I've done in the past, in theory, this is supposed to be a breeze (also I even have a work bench for these kind of things at home -- including EEPROM reprogramming) but again, as I said, I'm too coward to do it.

Maybe when it reaches the point where I get really really annoyed with the dust blobs I'll finally break down and do it (or if I find a common hobbyist in the area).

David with that background you can do it. If you look at the post I was referring to the photo shows where the optics are. It is actually pretty cool how lcd projectors work optically. The 3 lcd's are " see through" so the lamp light can go through the lcd & onto the screen. But the downside with this setup is dust. I started with the clear blobs which I would only see when switching inputs or no signal. They never bothered me when watching a movie. Last night however I finally got a magenta blob in the center. So I had to dig in. Been lucky so far- have about 1300 hrs on it. Gerry
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am at 2000+ hrs on my pj. I know i need a bulb. After researching all the non oem bulbs and hearing just about all negative reviews ii ordered a original panasonic bulb from provantage for $340 shipped. I hope i see a big difference in the brightness and pop. I feel pretty good about the purchase, much better than if i spent $210 for a compatable bulb.

Dolby Atmos 9.2.4 Marantz 7009 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 bluray player Jvc 4910 projector Benq 1070 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 7 L&R &super center XL Emotiva erm 6.2 sides ert 8.3 rear s
Emotiva erd-1 front wides 4 erd-1 on ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

I am at 2000+ hrs on my pj. I know i need a bulb. After researching all the non oem bulbs and hearing just about all negative reviews ii ordered a original panasonic bulb from provantage for $340 shipped. I hope i see a big difference in the brightness and pop. I feel pretty good about the purchase, much better than if i spent $210 for a compatable bulb.

Hi Dan,
I will also order the original lamp when the time comes. I understand the oem comes with a new filter. So you can always have a clean filter to swap out. I have been disassembling the filter every 300 hrs or so & rinsing the outer foam filter (letting it dry) vacuuming the inner filter lightly. Did you run your pj in econo for the 2000 hrs? Do you see any difference in the pix between the two lamp modes? At 1300 hrs in econo I don't. I also put an amp meter in line at the power cord & see just a slight increase in current draw in normal mode. Gerry
Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

I have run mine about half econo and half normal lamp mode. I dont really know if the pj keeps track of it or not. The normal mode is only slightly brighter than eco mode. I had trouble with flickering a few times over tha last 1.5 years so i would switch to normal for a few weeks and that usually took care of the flickering for a while. cant wait to get the new bulb. bye the way i have never had a dust blob.

Emotiva erd-1 front wides 4 erd-1 on ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Just got the lamp from proavantage only tool 4 days. I installed it a few hours ago. I am was very pleased with the result. Much brighter and the pj has that pop that has been missing. Money well spent.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

much brighter than the OEM lamp or much brighter than your PJ lamp before you changed it?

my home theatre

Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

much brighter than the OEM lamp or much brighter than your PJ lamp before you changed it?

It is an oem lamp i purchased. The old lamp was the original lamp so they should be the same. I guess i just forgot how much better the pj looked when the lamp wasw new. I used to watch movies on cinema 3. lately it has become too dim so i have been using normal which is bright enough but lacks the contrast and deep blacks of cinema 3. With the new bulb my son and i agree that cinema 3 is now asbrite as normal was with the old lamp.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I had a power outage. The projector wa son at the time, now the projector shows no picture right after starting up and after the Panasonic log goes away a message saying "input error" like it can't find an input. What is the deal is something fired?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

try unplugging all the inputs, unplug the power cable, switch the power ON.

then swith the power OFF

replug all the inputs, replug the power cable, swith the power on again, power up the projector. See whether the problem persists.

It's too late for this advice, I know, but for all the projectors I've installed, I always use UPS with AVR (battery backup with automatic voltage regulator) to avoid instances like this.

my home theatre

Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

It says "searching for inputs" then the screen is flashing all the projectors inputs on the screen. I can access the lens shift function of the projector just no picture from my sources (DVR, 360, etc..)
Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

try unplugging all the inputs, unplug the power cable, switch the power ON.

then swith the power OFF

replug all the inputs, replug the power cable, swith the power on again, power up the projector. See whether the problem persists.

It's too late for this advice, I know, but for all the projectors I've installed, I always use UPS with AVR (battery backup with automatic voltage regulator) to avoid instances like this.

Didn't work. I can't believe this is happeneing, my PS3 just died a few days ago now this. This is the only tv I have in the house
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Ok my setup was connected via HDMI out from a switcher to the projector. I had a component cable laying around. I just hooked my DVR with the component cable straight to the projector and I have a picture. So where do you think the problem is, the HDMI cable or the video switcher?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

straight connect from dvr to projector via HDMI also produces a picture, so it has to be the switcher
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

^Sometimes the turn on sequence matters. With three devices, a source, a switcher, and a display, there are six permutations of turn on order. Try all six.

also

Our monitor also has an "auto search" option on the options page which must prioritize certain inputs in some order if more than one is active. This could be messing things up if one device is connected that you think of as "dead" and inactive yet it has a small trickle of current that is making the projector lock on to it.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Old 06-24-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

most probably what you've experienced is a quick brownout, especially when the switcher is the one that dies. Try running your HT gear through battery backup and automatic voltage regulator or at least just the auto voltage regulator.

For my home setup, all the HT gears go through a surge protector, then a UPS+AVR for the projector alone, and another UPS+AVR (higher capacilty battery) for the rest of the equipment. Each UPS+AVR can be bought for about CDN$200 or less.

my home theatre

Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Has anyone had both projectors?

Is it worth it to "upgrade"?

Would probably think can get at least $1000 for the AE 3000 if get a new 4000 model you think?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobuu View Post

Would probably think can get at least $1000 for the AE 3000 if get a new 4000 model you think?

Thanks

I can't speak for the upgrade part but I did buy a used 3000 for a little more than $1,000 but it did come with a spare brand new bulb plus all original boxing, manuals, remote, etc. The main bulb that was in it still had pretty low hours on it.

I have wondered how much better the 4000 is over the 3000 but I am pretty satisfied with mine and think I will wait until a 5000 comes out or whatever they number the next gen projector.

Larry

My small equipment list in on profile.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks

I asked they guys at Projector Central this exact question. They said not to bother with the "upgrade". Evan said that while the AE4000 is a better projector, the difference isn't big enough to offset the cost of trading up. He recommended waiting a couple of years to see where the AE5000 or 6000 spec out.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me. Not only that, I also built the only remote control A/B projector comparator switching machine I am aware of. It's rickety, but fully functional, and makes for an easy and quick A/B switch from my normal viewing chair via remote control. [As far as I know, not even professional reviewers have such a device and instead rely on either visual memory, which is notoriously fleeting when evaluating subtle differences and not "photographic" at all, or at best use manually placed light blocks alternatively between the two DUTs (devices under test) while standing right next to the projectors as oppossed to their normal viewing positions. By modifying an old out of service CD player I no longer needed, mounted vertically, I was able to use its remote's eject button as my A vs B comparison button:

[please excuse the shaky handheld cell phone video; I was pearched on a ladder holding the CD payer remote in one hand and the phone in the other. Only one projector was left on for this demonstration video, as you can see, but obviosly both are turned on when actually under test.]

Well that's the good news, now for the bad news. Although I was indeed able to see some differences, it was impossible for me to tell for sure what differences were due to the actual projectors vs. the nearly 1000 hrs of extra run time I had on the 1 year older 3000 vs the brand new 4000. Bulbs dim with age, without a doubt, and I would assume may have slight color shifts as well.

Although the 4000 seemed to have the edge in absolute black level (darker), it was subtle and only evident on test patterns, not actual TV shows or movies, including space movies like Star Wars where one sees spaceships against a black star field background. Then again the 3000 has two sets of component video in vs. the 4000's singular one.

Overall I'd say the difference in IQ is subtle. Ignoring the fact that the newer 4000 will have much better resale value a year or two from know, and pretending this is going to be the last projector ever bought (LOL!) I'd say the difference is worth 2 o'3 hundred dollars, 4 to 6 hundred if you are picky, and not worth it for $700 or more difference, but that's me, your mileage may vary, and then again the bulb age difference makes my evaluation questionable. Good luck.