Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 4832 Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I tweak a lot when I get a new toy that is used to entertain me with art (cinema, in this case) for some time, perhaps even weeks, until I feel I can get it to perform at 99% of its best capability but then I put away all the test disks and sit back and just enjoy it for years to come, happy knowing that I made it as best it can be.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now back to the techno jargon babble:

I'm confident that the "digital clarity" circuit is an intelligent very high frequency boost (peak) circuit that bumps up sharpness but only in the "top octave" (or whatever one calls that in video frequency response graphs), at least with a fairly good, clean signal to begin with. On the SMPTE 133 test pattern, using especially component in from my bluray test disk, I notice a sharpening and brightening of the 1080 full horizontal resolution line pairs but no change in the lower frequencies and thank goodness no added EE or ringing anywhere else. I'm leaving it on until I see any negative artifacts.

The 120 Hz "creation" thing looks weird to me, yes like "CGI" or "video", whereas I'd rather be watching film. I leave it off, and the lip synch error I notice, at least at mode 2, is annoying too. YMMV.

P.S. I can see how it might be good at eliminatind LCD motion smear on a large panel, direct view LCD, but sub 1 inch LCD's don't have that problem, as far as I know, so all that it does is artificially reduce the natural smear in the film due to the film camera's exposure time length. Not good in my book. I want to see it the way I would in the cinema.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Oh, for Christ's sake!...new owners need to play and enjoy their new projector. Not stare at blank screens and try to find some microscopic flaw...None of them are perfect...Some of you guys kill me!...Watch a damn movie and relax and enjoy...

Hey dog chill out...go watch a movie.

Joe V.
post #453 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, for Christ's sake!...new owners need to play and enjoy their new projector. Not stare at blank screens and try to find some microscopic flaw...None of them are perfect...Some of you guys kill me!...Watch a damn movie and relax and enjoy...

If somebody were spending $500 or whatever on a bargain projector, then I could kind of see your point....just plug it in and enjoy (however, that is very un-forum like ).

But when you get into a little pricier units like the one in this thread, then I see it as fully valid to run test patterns, nitpick, and so forth. The flaws that these test patterns and so forth are showing *are* affecting the image quality of whatever you watch.....whether you notice it or not.

Really, with that mentality, why even bother with a unit like this? I'm sure you could pick up a 480p projector for next to nothing $-wise, plug the thing in, and "watch a d**n movie and relax and enjoy".

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #454 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 12:28 AM

I got my projector on Monday and this is the first I have really looked at this sight since. My friend came over and we turned it on, started to focus it and were blown away just by the test screen. We have been watching movies ever since. I think that it is better than watching a movie at the theater! I am getting one of those BD testing discs in the mail in a few days maybe then I will see if I can make this thing look any better, but for now who cares, it looks awsome! Bring on the BD movies! Great projector, everyone should have one, but if everyone had one, my friend would just stay home and not come over here!
post #455 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 05:46 AM

Just spent my first evening with my new AE3000 and BD550, Dalite HiPower 2.35 screen, after years with an AE900. Great right out of the box. I could live happily ever after with no further calibration (at least until the AE5000 comes out, I figure it pays to skip a generation.) What a difference! Very happy.
New Onkyo 806, too. Glad to be helping the economy...
post #456 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 06:20 AM

One question on the 3000.

With my old Epson when I switched from TV to PS3, the projector would automatically change to a brighter mode.

I've saved 3 different settings. One for TV, one for games, and one for movies. Is it possible to program my Harmony remote so that when I hit "watch TV" it knows to go to Memory Save 1 and when I hit "watch a movie" it goes to memory save 2?
post #457 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Personally I too prefer a more rigorous approach. And tweaking requires understanding and that seems inherently good to me. I certainly appreciate and thank the people here for providing the opportunity to understand. ( but I still ain't got no stink'n projector)

blu-ray Operas: 6
blu-ray Ballets : 1
There's a reason they're called the fine arts--buy them on blu-ray.
post #458 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

You have a point, but the folks looking at grid lines and gray screens trying to detect color shift, bad pixels and whatnot are just trying to find any obvious flaws before the projector gets used too much and can't be returned. Since many places have 4 hr limits on bulb usage, if you first set it up quickly and then watch a movie, you might be beyond the limit before you get a chance to check it out.

While none of the projectors are going to be perfect, some of them will have flaws that can be spotted fairly quickly using the test patterns. These flaws would probably/possibly become annoyingly obvious over time to the owner (like color shift and bad pixels). If the owner gets a chance to swap it out for a better unit, why not spend the first couple hours looking for flaws, rather than putting up with them for the next 2000 hrs?

IMHO, YMMV,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #459 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a good point, shinksma, but I believe I read that aquafire has over 30 hours on his projector...it's one thing to do a quick check for defects, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
post #460 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashram View Post

I had no problems gaming. Played several songs on Rock Band and played Call of Duty World at War multiplayer beta online. I noticed the chart would occasionaly stutter on Rock Band but as soon as I turned Frame Creation off it was smooth as could be.

I had the exact same experience with Rock band. It stuttered a little with RB until I turned off frame creation.
post #461 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 07:45 AM

Liked: 11
I tried doing some searches on what is recommended for a Da-Lite screen material...

Right now for my Optoma HD-72 I am using the High Contrast Matte White (Viewing Angle: 50° Gain: 1.1) for my 16:9 screen...

For my new 2.35 screen it has been recommended to use the Matte White ( Viewing Angle: 60° Gain: 1.0 )

But looking up the Da-lite website they recommend High Contrast Da-Mat ( Viewing Angle: 45° Gain: 0.8 )

What is your feeling guys?
post #462 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I didn't only spend my time watching test screens...

post #463 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
post #464 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I understand we have 3 types of people on this thread:

1) TWEAK TWEAK and TWEAK....OBSESSED!!!
2) Sit back and watch movies and TV who cares about testing
3) A combo

I personally am a combo. Sorry if some feel the thread should not discuss testing or issues people are having. Right now I am not happy with this projector. Testing and calibration is new to me so I'm trying to solve my issues with the help of the pros here on this thread. At this moment every time I sit down something just does not look right to me. I'm just trying to get to the sit back and relax point....but it does not seem to be arriving. I have requested a new projector from Projector People. We will see if they step up to solve my issues.
post #465 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

I understand we have 3 types of people on this thread:

1) TWEAK TWEAK and TWEAK....OBSESSED!!!
2) Sit back and watch movies and TV who cares about testing
3) A combo

I personally am a combo. Sorry if some feel the thread should not discuss testing or issues people are having. Right now I am not happy with this projector. Testing and calibration is new to me so I'm trying to solve my issues with the help of the pros here on this thread. At this moment every time I sit down something just does not look right to me. I'm just trying to get to the sit back and relax point....but it does not seem to be arriving. I have requested a new projector from Projector People. We will see if they step up to solve my issues.

I agree with the selection of people, though I'd say that most people here lean towards #1.

I am more of a #2. I am still using Normal mode with default out of the box color settings. About the only thing I've been playing with has been the frame creation settings. I am very happy with the picture as is and have had no reason to tweak.

For that reason, I've been trying to avoid these threads and this forum more lately.
post #466 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 09:13 AM

You can tell I'm not much of a tweaker. I set mine up yesterday and tried out a few things and thought "well it's ok but not much better than the old Epson 400, especially with text". I then adjusted the the focus (duh) and it was instantly amazing.

My wife came home and I told her before we even go downstairs that you may not be able to tell the difference. As soon as we walked downstairs she asked me what i was talking about. She could tell a huge difference and loved it.

The wife factor is how I determine if it was a successful purchase. When I've bought things like an SACD player she couldn't tell the difference but with this she was instantly overwhelmed.

My set-up seems to look best with the following.

Directv=Normal mode/frame creation 1/frame response normal

Blu Ray=Cinema 1/frame creation 2/frame response normal

PS3 games=Normal/frame creation off/frame response fast

I had to use Dynamic on the Epson 400 to get it to be bright enough. The Normal on the 3000 is even brighter. I found dynamic on the 3000 is ugly and too bright.

I don't understand the waveform yet so I haven't messed with it.
post #467 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

...If anyone is interested in buying one of my -40 gain screen walls, I'd be more than happy to look into putting something together. Each wall comes with standard 3" blue tape borders, which don't totally disappear when viewing, but aren't completely visible either..

Do you offer a choice of aspect ratio?
post #468 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

I would have be in for one of his screens if I didn't already have my SMX.
post #469 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

Yes. Borders can also be done in blue, beige, or green.
post #470 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I agree aqua has a good selection there as well.

I'm a combo, Aqua's a combo. wouldn't you like to be a combo too?

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #471 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM

Also I realized that the zoom and focus will take care of the issues of having my second screen behind my first, but what I needed to know is about the HEIGHT of the second screen...

I believe that the PJ has only manual Lens shift... so If I don't match the height of the second screen perfectly, I would have to adjust the Lens shift manual every time?
post #472 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

I believe that the PJ has only manual Lens shift... so If I don't match the height of the second screen perfectly, I would have to adjust the Lens shift manual every time?

Not neccesarily as you couild set the manual lens shift for your 16:9 screen and then use the V shift in the lens menu to set the height for 2.35:1 and store this in one of the lens memories.

BTW, I have not noticed a problem with different 2.35:1 films being in a different place within the 16:9 window as suggested a few pages back.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #473 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 AM

I just set up my AE3000 and noticed that there are faint halos around images even in the menus. Is this normal? After searching around I've found maybe turning down the sharpness would get rid of this but I find it weird they would have it set on its default to have white halos around images.
post #474 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Septim,

I have also noticed this. I thought it was just me!!!
post #475 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Not neccesarily as you couild set the manual lens shift for your 16:9 screen and then use the V shift in the lens menu to set the height for 2.35:1 and store this in one of the lens memories.

BTW, I have not noticed a problem with different 2.35:1 films being in a different place within the 16:9 window as suggested a few pages back.

So there is a V-shift on this PJ ( as well as a H-shift I'm assuming...) ?
post #476 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes both V and H shift.
post #477 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think that the sharpness control has any effect on the menu ( I could be wrong though). I haven't seen any halo effect on my menu, only on oversharpened test pattern/PC text, with the sharpness down below +4 (default = 0) then this become unnoticable from more than a few feet from the screen.

Is the PJ in focus as it seems that the AExxxx series can drift a little from cold?

post #478 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I don't think that the sharpness control has any effect on the menu ( I could be wrong though). I haven't seen any halo effect on my menu, only on oversharpened test pattern/PC text, with the sharpness down below +4 (default = 0) then this become unnoticable from more than a few feet from the screen.

Is the PJ in focus as it seems that the AExxxx series can drift a little from cold?

Yeah I always refocus it when I boot it up. I need to know if this is normal or not before I hit four hours on it. Because otherwise it seems pretty good. No dead pixels so far, no dust blobs.
post #479 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

Yes both V and H shift.

And if you could tell... roughly what is the distance that it allows H and V?

Really appreciate the help....
post #480 of 4832 Old 11-06-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septim View Post

Yeah I always refocus it when I boot it up.

So you can see this effect when focused and with sharpness turned down? In that case it isn't like mine as I don't see any halos except when the focus has drifted or if I bump up the sharpness too high.

Are you using much lens shift or much zoom (mine is at almost minimum zoom BTW)? Maybe it is chromatic aberation?

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page