Official Panasonic PT-AE3000U OWNERS Thread. - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 160  161  162
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Official Panasonic PT-AE3000U OWNERS Thread.
GateMan's Avatar GateMan 09:21 AM 08-02-2014
Could you guys do me a favor and report back with the temperature readings displayed in the self-check screen of your projectors? With the projector on and using the remote control you enter the hidden menu by pressing the following buttons in non-stop sequence: Power, Right Arrow, Up Arrow, Down Arrow, Up Arrow, Down Arrow, and Enter. Then you'll see the self-check listed.

My readings after the projector is up to temperature are:
INTK - 168
EXST - 85
FLTR - 172

I also have had the "Lamp Fan" reading "OK" in red which I understand is the fan intermittently not running correctly.

Anyway the projector shuts down shortly after starting up and I am trying to narrow down the cause. I think it is the lamp fan, and the low reading of 85 degrees on the EXST temp is making me think that sensor might be malfunctioning.

I know I'll have some guys wanting to suggest the bulb, but it's not the bulb (1100 hours and picture is perfect when I can get the projector to stay on). Thanks.

Bellyfull Buthungry 01:16 PM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb View Post
I'm happy to report that after replacing all 4 fans with new ones, my AE3000U seems good as new. I had to completely disassemble it (remove the major assemblies), so while I was at it I carefully cleaned the LCD panels and colored filters with the lens cleaning cloth I use for my Nikon DSLR. I also blew out the lens assembly with one of these: http://www.giottos.com/Rocket-air.htm. I ordered the 4 fans from Pac Parts (http://www.pacparts.com/). It took about 3-4 weeks to get them, but it was obviously worth the wait! The whole process took me about 4 hours, definitely not for the faint of heart. I took some video, which I'll edit and post if someone needs it.

Now my problem is, I don't have a good reason to get a new projector. Maybe when the new bulb hits 2000 hours. :-)

EDIT: The fan replacement would have been much easier if I'd found this diagram first: http://www.pacparts.com/reference/330/PTAE3000U.pdf. Hope this helps someone else!

EDIT #2: Thanks to HMenke for his tutorial post, which gave me the courage to do this.
Yes, HMenke's tuturorial, added to your success has led me to believe that this would be reasonably simple.

You replaced all 4 fans, just to save some shiping, and perhaps some hassle down the road? or did you feel the other fans were failing as well? I beleive I only need to replace the main ventilation fan...it just sounds loud these days, but then sometimes it sounds quiter.

I love my AE3000U have had it for 5 yrs, replaced the lamp once, never had a problem, even forgot to turn it off on more than one occasion, must have ran straight for about 18 hrs or more until I noticed it was still on.

The replacing the fan and perhaps getting a new bulb should be worthwhile...I am wondering if youtwo have ran into any other non-related issues with your projector...issues that made you run out and buy a new one

Thanks for all the great info
Shift's Avatar Shift 08:33 AM 01-01-2015
Hey guys, if anyone is in the market for a PT-AE3000U, I have one that I like to get sold since I purchased a new projector (thanks honey).

It only has 1360 lamp hours in ECO Mode. Asking price w/ UPS insured / shipping is $425. Works great!

Cheers.
GOFER1234's Avatar GOFER1234 12:34 AM 02-08-2015
Hey guys, this is my first post. I have problem with my PANASONIC PT-AT6000, look at picture, has anyone got idea what wrong with this projector, how to fix it??? thank's for any idea.
Cheers.
Attached: 5070645393_3.jpg (34.4 KB)  5070645393_4.jpg (45.7 KB) 
youthman's Avatar youthman 07:34 PM 02-08-2015
Looks like you have 3D turned on.
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 09:28 PM 02-08-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOFER1234 View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post. I have problem with my PANASONIC PT-AT6000, look at picture, has anyone got idea what wrong with this projector, how to fix it??? thank's for any idea.
Cheers.
Your unit is broken. The three LCD panels, red, green, and blue, are grossly out of alignment. Although in the past it
was quite common for units such as yours to have user adjustable controls to fix this, called convergence, this particular unit, to the best of my knowledge, is meant to be adjusted only by technicians. Sorry.
GOFER1234's Avatar GOFER1234 12:31 AM 02-09-2015
Thanks for your help, that's what I suspected , because the projector probably fell to the ground , but I doubt whether it is such a big adjustment until these panels ?
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 01:18 AM 02-09-2015
According to one source I read, just an anecdotal forum post, the reason we no longer have user adjustable convergence controls on 3LCD products is because the three are cemented together and aren't really adjustable any more.

You might look for a service manual to see what you can find out on your own, but otherwise you'll need to send it to a service center. Good luck.
GOFER1234's Avatar GOFER1234 03:59 AM 02-11-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
According to one source I read, just an anecdotal forum post, the reason we no longer have user adjustable convergence controls on 3LCD products is because the three are cemented together and aren't really adjustable any more.

You might look for a service manual to see what you can find out on your own, but other wise you'll need to send it to a service center. Good luck.
I watched the service instructions and there is nothing on setting these LCD panels so I suspect that you can not fix it in a simple way , I undress projector and see if you can set it up in some other way , perhaps adjustable mirrors ?
digitlman's Avatar digitlman 05:55 PM 09-20-2015
So my remote control suddenly only works within about 3 feet of the projector for some reason. I of course have replaced the batteries, it lights up nice and bright. I have wiped off the remote and the sensor on the projector itself. Any ideas?

I has always worked very well, I actually could point it at my screen and it would reflect back to the projector and work perfectly.
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 06:48 PM 09-20-2015
So tell us, when the batteries are starting to run low on your remote unit, what exactly is the manifestation that alerts you to their weakened condition?

Would it impress you that over the internet I have ESP and can tell, by reading your mind, that you own neither a battery tester nor a voltmeter? Pretty cool huh? Would it impress you even further if I could tell that you are using rechargeable batteries?
digitlman's Avatar digitlman 10:36 AM 09-21-2015
Quote:
So tell us, when the batteries are starting to run low on your remote unit, what exactly is the manifestation that alerts you to their weakened condition?

Would it impress you that over the internet I have ESP and can tell, by reading your mind, that you own neither a battery tester nor a voltmeter? Pretty cool huh? Would it impress you even further if I could tell that you are using rechargeable batteries?
LOL, that would be impressive. However I do own a quite nice voltmeter as well as a battery tester. I also would never use rechargeable batteries. I changed them out to brand new duracell batteries and i still have the exact same 3ft range. i can repeatedly hit a button and move it back and forth and it is right at 2.5-3 ft range that it works and then doesn't. It's very strange I have never seen this happen before. This has actually been happening for months now but I am just now posting about it.
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 10:48 AM 09-21-2015
Sometimes IR sensors are blinded by things such as sunlight, aquarium lights, plasma TV displays (although I saw it once on an LCD too and they aren't supposed to have this issue), and even fluorescent front panel displays on receivers and disk players. You might try unplugging ever single electrical device in the room to see if you can narrow down the culprit, at night so there's no sun, if that's what it is, and if you notice that there are no problems during the first few seconds of operation until the pj starts projecting, then the light from the image itself might be the blinding light. The only possible cure is to construct a "sun visor" out of cardboard to mount just over the pj's eye sensor so it only sees light from where you sit but not from the objectionable, blinding source.

Test the brand new Duracells just to be certain they didn't happen to also be bad. If they don't show at least 1.6V under no load, then they aren't on a full tank.
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 10:53 AM 09-21-2015
Even if the batteries are in great shape if the electrical contacts in the remote are partially oxidized, not shiny clean, then they can't pass the full current and that also would diminish the range. Try cleaning the electrical contact points with q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol and scrape them with a sharp knife blade too. Spin the batteries once inserted which also scrapes clean the exact contact points.

I bet this cures it.
digitlman's Avatar digitlman 05:34 PM 09-22-2015
Quote:
Even if the batteries are in great shape if the electrical contacts in the remote are partially oxidized, not shiny clean, then they can't pass the full current and that also would diminish the range. Try cleaning the electrical contact points with q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol and scrape them with a sharp knife blade too. Spin the batteries once inserted which also scrapes clean the exact contact points.

I bet this cures it.
so this appears to be the issue, They look a bit corroded, I will clean them up and see what happens. Thanks
Siid 01:37 PM 09-28-2015
I did find cheap Panasonic PT-AE3000 projector on the internet and because the distance I did not have change to try it before buying it.
So quick test at home and white screen looks like this (picture attached)

What's wrong with the projector? Is it (hopefully) just dust or is it something worse, like LCD-panel is broken?
At quick look they are most viewed on the white screen.

I did open the upper housing and take care out the easiest dust that was easily removable and of course the filter too. It was very dirty on the inside too, like it was never cleaned.
Attached: projector.png (914.6 KB) 
Siid 08:27 AM 09-29-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siid View Post
I did find cheap Panasonic PT-AE3000 projector on the internet and because the distance I did not have change to try it before buying it.
So quick test at home and white screen looks like this (picture attached)

What's wrong with the projector? Is it (hopefully) just dust or is it something worse, like LCD-panel is broken?
At quick look they are most viewed on the white screen.

I did open the upper housing and take care out the easiest dust that was easily removable and of course the filter too. It was very dirty on the inside too, like it was never cleaned.
I did get these focused bit more clearly and there is definitely some dust, but as it is on that wide area I would assume that there is something else wrong with the dust on the lcd-panels. Maybe burned?
I would like to hear someones opinion with this.

I will need to try to get those panels cleaned and see how it effects to the picture. Is air pump better or spray canned air?

Pretty shame that if some lcd-panel is burned, because before this projector I had Sanyo PLV-Z5 (2006) in pristine condition and it have almost 7000 hours on it. This one don't have anywhere near those hours on this machine, but I would say that it is because lack of maintenance.
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 11:14 AM 09-29-2015
Based on you image, if what you are talking about is a discoloration which appears as a gradual change towards one side or edge, it may be due to a burnt polarizer or panel. These things need a constant airflow over the panels and many people, who don't invest in uninterruptible power supplies (UPS) discover that the first time they have a power blackout, or if a party guest trips over a power cord and yanks an AC cord from the wall, as examples, the fans come to a grinding halt while the panels are still hot and the guts cook. The result is burnt LCD panels and/or polarizers. [This is why in normal use the fan stays on for half a minute or so after shut down. It is cooling the still hot panels.]

The repair for this tends to be pricey, sorry.

Air blowers are weaker and less effective than cans of "compressed air", however if you hold one of these cans improperly and inadvertently squirt some fluid you can pretty much destroy the panel (or at least necessitate a professional cleaning of the fluid residue which may cost hundreds of dollars). It is a toss up.

In all optical use I carefully hold my compressed air upright at all times and always give a short test blast against my hand to check for liquid being in the tube prior to each use, from the nearly exact same held position I then use to clean the optics. [I have never cleaned my pj internally though and would be hesitant to unless there is no other recourse.]
Siid 01:53 PM 09-29-2015
Thanks for your answer. I would also bet my money on the burnt panel or polarizer.
Though I will try to clean the panels later this week and see if it just dust what can be removed by cleaning.

And yes, I was talking about the discolouration which might point more to the burnt panel/polarizer.

Yes, I know that repairing to burned panel/polarizer is very pricey, and it is not worth to do projector this old. It this can't be saved by cleaning the panels, then I just need to raise some money up and buy new projector.
Siid 06:09 PM 09-30-2015
I did clean the LCD-panels, as well as polarization filters. There was dust just like hell, and yes the rest of which is elsewhere should be removed (otherwise the picture is soon dusty as I started), but was forced to try in between, that what it did on the picture or whether the entire device retrace anymore. Heh. It did.

It was pretty therapeutic. It is that much better now, but it just does not get any whiter than it is now, so something is still broken. If I understand nothing of these, so I consider that a red polarization filter was burned at least the clearly in the middle. Green and blue apparently undamaged. Apparently the red polarisation filter is available as a spare part, but costs $ 120, so pretty expensive trial if that dosen't help...
It's a pity that I didin't discovered how this "block" gets off where the LCD -panels are that I could got short to at those, as would any of them be burned out or all they in good condition...
Attached: screen1.jpg (24.1 KB)  screen2.jpg (33.3 KB) 
Siid 06:34 PM 09-30-2015
...To my eyes the picture seems blueish at very large area. What might cause it? Is it the burned red polarizing filter or is there also something else broken what cause the blue colour screen at the top and sides?

Here is picture of the burn polarizer also.
Attached: polarizer.jpg (61.6 KB) 
Siid 11:48 AM 10-04-2015
Heh, the burn polariser looks red and it is red, but actually is the "blue" polarizer. Panasonic part number TEEC0050. Will have to look where I'll find that cheapest and maybe try if changing that helps.
laychooba's Avatar laychooba 09:17 AM 07-24-2016
whoa, bringing this one back from the dead.
is anyone still using this unit? lol

mine has been serving me well since 2009, i'm going to wait till the 4k's drop
till around 3k so i'm trying to squeeze some life outta this thing. i just replaced
the bulb with an OEM but ever since, it seems that the unit starts to lose focus
after some time. almost everytime i start it up, i will need to refocus it and
even sometimes can't make it through a whole movie before i have to.

has anyone ran into this problem? just live with it, or is there something i can
do?
gene4ht's Avatar gene4ht 12:18 PM 07-24-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by laychooba View Post
whoa, bringing this one back from the dead.
is anyone still using this unit? lol

mine has been serving me well since 2009, i'm going to wait till the 4k's drop
till around 3k so i'm trying to squeeze some life outta this thing. i just replaced
the bulb with an OEM but ever since, it seems that the unit starts to lose focus
after some time. almost everytime i start it up, i will need to refocus it and
even sometimes can't make it through a whole movie before i have to.

has anyone ran into this problem? just live with it, or is there something i can
do?
LOL..Yes, some of us are still here enjoying this PJ! I've had mine since 2008 and still on the original lamp at 1400 hours. It's been performing exceptionally well and trouble free so I've had no compelling reason to replace or upgrade. At times, I've thought about the 7000 or 8000 but never acted on it. Now that 4K is upon us, it does promise to bring a jump in image quality for those of us with screens over 100 inches. Consequently, I've been studying and reviewing the possibilities within a reasonable budget. It appears JVC, Sony, Epson, and later this year Optima and BenQ (both new TI DLP Chip) have or will have products to consider. Each has some favorable features but at this time, I'm drawn to the best bang for the buck JVC RS400 (low $3K's street). It's not perfect but at its price point it is an excellent PJ as a place holder for 2-3 years until "true" 4K PJ's and especially "HDR" matures. What are you and everyone else thinking???

Since I'm still on my original lamp, I've not encountered the problem you're experiencing...sorry I'm unable to help. If no one on the forum can offer suggestions, perhaps contact Panasonic tech support...hopefully it's something simple...i.e. something may have moved out of position while replacing the lamp or possibly even a faulty new lamp?
Lesmor's Avatar Lesmor 05:12 AM 07-25-2016
Still going strong in fact it is the one piece of kit i havent felt compelled to change which is all credit to Panasonic.
But times have moved on and I am now looking to go for the Epson 9300 UHD with HDR which comes out in the UK in September.
I wouldn't hold out much hope in getting any support from Panasonic even if you had a genuine lamp let alone a OEM bulb
Anorvell 09:32 PM 08-27-2016
Hello all, this is my first post but I may be on here quite a bit. I just bought a PT-AE3000U from a co-worker for 25 bucks. Which I felt was a steal even knowing that it doesnt work at the moment. According to the co-worker none of the HDMI ports display and the VGA displays the screen but not well. After hooking it to my computer as a monitor just for testing using the VGA I see what he meant. It does display my desktop but its badly distorted and jumpy, almost like a badly tuned tv station.

I have read that there are some known issues with the lamps from these projectors arcing and causing a flicker. However, after looking at some of the images/videos posted of this effect I dont think thats whats happening here. IF the HDMI ports really do not work then I am thinking I need a new APC or Main board. Any advice or checks I can do before making any decisions? I will let you know what happens with the HDMI ports when I test them in a bit.

Thanks
Anorvell 10:06 PM 08-27-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorvell View Post
Hello all, this is my first post but I may be on here quite a bit. I just bought a PT-AE3000U from a co-worker for 25 bucks. Which I felt was a steal even knowing that it doesnt work at the moment. According to the co-worker none of the HDMI ports display and the VGA displays the screen but not well. After hooking it to my computer as a monitor just for testing using the VGA I see what he meant. It does display my desktop but its badly distorted and jumpy, almost like a badly tuned tv station.

I have read that there are some known issues with the lamps from these projectors arcing and causing a flicker. However, after looking at some of the images/videos posted of this effect I dont think thats whats happening here. IF the HDMI ports really do not work then I am thinking I need a new APC or Main board. Any advice or checks I can do before making any decisions? I will let you know what happens with the HDMI ports when I test them in a bit.

Thanks
"I tried connecting my computer via HDMI and nothing, I tried connecting via VGA and managed to get the projector to recognize that there was a signal... but the image appears to be horribly off timing, appearing very distorted. I tried multiple refresh rates and resolutions and messed with the clock settings on the projector some... but no luck. The closest I got to visible was at 720p but it was still pretty distorted. I tried a 480i connection using a DVD player with a simple yellow RCA wire... that works. It actually works pretty good... considering the horrible quality that goes with it."

Found this in an earlier post of this thread. Sounds like exactly what is happening with my unit, unfortunately it doesnt look like that posted ever posted how he managed to repair it.
Lesmor's Avatar Lesmor 02:43 AM 08-28-2016
Quote:
"I tried connecting my computer via HDMI and nothing, I tried connecting via VGA and managed to get the projector to recognize that there was a signal... but the image appears to be horribly off timing, appearing very distorted. I tried multiple refresh rates and resolutions and messed with the clock settings on the projector some... but no luck. The closest I got to visible was at 720p but it was still pretty distorted. I tried a 480i connection using a DVD player with a simple yellow RCA wire... that works. It actually works pretty good... considering the horrible quality that goes with it."

Found this in an earlier post of this thread. Sounds like exactly what is happening with my unit, unfortunately it doesnt look like that posted ever posted how he managed to repair it.
Take the 25 bucks hit and put it down to experience
not worth the time and money fixing it throw it in the trash
Anorvell 05:19 PM 08-31-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmor View Post
Take the 25 bucks hit and put it down to experience
not worth the time and money fixing it throw it in the trash
I appreciate the response Lesmor and the advice but are you saying this because it cant be fixed or because you dont think its worth fixing? I mean no disrespect just trying to figure out if fixing it is an option.
Lesmor's Avatar Lesmor 12:53 AM 09-01-2016
Quote:
I appreciate the response Lesmor and the advice but are you saying this because it cant be fixed or because you dont think its worth fixing? I mean no disrespect just trying to figure out if fixing it is an option.
Hi Anorvell
No problem
Personally I don't think it would be worth the time, cost and effort with no guarantee it will work.

That said if you like messing around with that kind of thing only you can put a value on your time and how much it might end up costing to fix.

The AE-3000 has been a great projector for me, and is still going strong, but it is a bit long in the tooth now at 6 years maybe time to upgrade.
First ... 160  161  162

Up