Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Sorry that they aren't very good ( I didn't include the centre focus picture as it had suffered camera shake ), but I took these last night after the PJ had been on about 10 minutes, then I refocused just before taking the pictures.

I only turned off the flash, so everything else is just on auto. I tried to get the auto focus of the camera to focus on the word 'White', so use that as a reference. If I manage to take some better pictures later I'll repost.

In person the image looks sharp all over the screen, so if my photos don't seem to convince, then put it down to my lousy camera skills.

For reference, my PJ is at 6 metres throw, minimum zoom, 120" diagonal 16:9 Greywolf II screen with 1.8 gain.
LL
LL

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman2001 View Post

Where can I find this?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

It's a long first post. Scroll down till you see the links. I did it this way because there are 2 versions.
post #543 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same thing I have been saying for a while. When it comes to picture sharpness, pixel perfect wins every time.

They only real advantage as I see it for using a lens in the increase in picture brightness. Of course, this is a significant factor for large screen sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Very interesting review by cine4home here...basically saying that the Panny's 2.35:1 zoom method produces better results than scaling using even a top-notch scaler/lens.

post #544 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That focus is very nice. You can tell from those single pixel shots the 3000 is a bit sharper than the 2000 (at least my 2000.) The reduced smoothscreen gets credit I assume. You can sorta see the pixel gap on those closeups now, you couldn't with the 2000. Looks like Panny really got the right balance there. Hopefully it still de-polarizes the image the same.
Warren.
post #545 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

That focus is very nice. You can tell from those single pixel shots the 3000 is a bit sharper than the 2000 (at least my 2000.) The reduced smoothscreen gets credit I assume. You can sorta see the pixel gap on those closeups now, you couldn't with the 2000. Looks like Panny really got the right balance there. Hopefully it still de-polarizes the image the same.
Warren.

I actually found my previous AE2000 was a tad sharper, I checked it against my AE3000 before I delivered it to it's new owner...that's why I made a fuss about the focus in my earlier 'review'. I've just used a bit of horizontal lens shift so that it's using a slightly different section of the lens and it seems sharper and more consistant over the whole screen.

Watching back through some test scenes last night (same ones used at the JVC 350/750 lauch I went to last month) and the AE3000 doesn't do a bad job at all in my setup: Plenty sharp enough (Spiderman 3 BD), good shadow detail (SWAT BD, tunnel scenes) and DVDs are very good, even old films (Breakfast at Tiffanys).

My room is short of being a total 'BatCave' so I doubt I can achieve any better with the room as it is now. I watched a film earlier this week and didn't bother putting up my various black cloths/velvet etc and was midly dissapointed with the image (too lazy to put the cloths up for a mid week viewing). Last night I put them up and the picture was good again (mainly putting a black cloth tent over the top & sides of the screen to block reflections from my white ceiling and light walls). I'd love to have a dedicated room with black velvet walls/ceiling, but it isn't going to happen.

post #546 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 04:07 PM
DrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Sorry that they aren't very good ( I didn't include the centre focus picture as it had suffered camera shake ), but I took these last night after the PJ had been on about 10 minutes, then I refocused just before taking the pictures.

I only turned off the flash, so everything else is just on auto. I tried to get the auto focus of the camera to focus on the word 'White', so use that as a reference. If I manage to take some better pictures later I'll repost.

In person the image looks sharp all over the screen, so if my photos don't seem to convince, then put it down to my lousy camera skills.

For reference, my PJ is at 6 metres throw, minimum zoom, 120" diagonal 16:9 Greywolf II screen with 1.8 gain.

Very nice left and right. I guess mine has a lens misalignment because I only see separate pixels closest to the screen at 12 feet (3.6 meters). I wonder if the repair center can fix it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15018657

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #547 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradjohnsonfan View Post

Same thing I have been saying for a while. When it comes to picture sharpness, pixel perfect wins every time.

They only real advantage as I see it for using a lens in the increase in picture brightness. Of course, this is a significant factor for large screen sizes.

The PT-AE3000 offers up to 900 lumens @ D65. Unless you want to use the Cinema Presets for very large screens, calibrating the projector in another mode makes much more sense to increase light ouput than buying a $5000+ anamorphic lens with all its disadvantages just to get a small light increase of 15%.

This is our objective conclusion, which some "Anamorphic fanatics" in this forum seem not to understand (nor want to).

Regards,
Ekkehart
post #548 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post

.....calibrating the projector in another mode makes much more sense to increase light ouput than buying a $5000+ anamorphic lens with all its disadvantages.

Any news on the filter for the AE3000 yet? I'd like to buy one for DIY fitting as soon as they are available.

post #549 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 05:03 PM
DrA

Quote:

The PT-AE3000 offers up to 900 lumens @ D65. Unless you want to use the Cinema Presets for very large screens, calibrating the projector in another mode makes much more sense to increase light ouput than buying a $5000+ anamorphic lens with all its disadvantages just to get a small light increase of 15%.

This is our objective conclusion, which some "Anamorphic fanatics" in this forum seem not to understand (nor want to).

Regards,
Ekkehart

Elkhart,
since you have seen many projectors can you please take a look at my focus problem because it directly affects 16:9 to 21:9 decision. The focus is good only at minimum throw. Is it practically repairable?

Thanks

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #550 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post

Elkhart,
since you have seen many projectors can you please take a look at my focus problem because it directly affects 16:9 to 21:9 decision. The focus is good only at minimum throw. Is it practically repairable?

Thanks

We are preparing our review right now and will check the focus at different zoom ratios.

Regards,
Ekkehart
post #551 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

I saw an interesting issue with Normal and Dynamic modes and I'm wondering if you've seen it and if you have, whether you have a workaround. I haven't done much investigating, but I have a test pattern from a friend which has a white block with steps above 235, then red, green, and blue blocks with the same. I found that in Normal and Dynamic modes I could see all the steps in the white block, but the red, green, and blue blocks were just all solid with no steps. When I brought up the waveform monitor I was surprised to see that the AE3000 reported that the red, green, and blue blocks had only one level (even if I lowered the Contrast setting way down). I knew this wasn't the case from running the test pattern on other projectors. I changed to one of the Cinema modes on that AE3000 and all of a sudden the steps appeared in the red, green, and blue blocks and then the waveform monitor reported that they had steps. My friend said he thought there might be a color decoding problem in Normal and Dynamic modes. It might relate to the way he encoded the steps in the primary color blocks, but it works correctly on other projectors and the AE3000 in modes other than Normal and Dynamic.

I'm not sure if DVE has steps or gradations in this range with the primary colors (not just gray ramps or steps), but if it does I might try those out.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #552 of 4832 Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM

WOW! You are getting 900 lumens while maintaining good calibration at D65?

You must have found a way since your preview came out to coax those extra lumens out... I am guessing that at that lumen output, the dynamic contrast ratio is pretty stratospheric...

Quote:

Regards,
Ekkehart

post #553 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 01:45 AM

I've had the 3000 for a couple of weeks now. It replaces a 2000 and prior to that I had a 1000.

I couldn't resist messing in the service menu & the flicker adjustment was way off - well I assume it was way off as I adjusted the RGB screens for minimum flicker and had to adjust it several clicks.

My question is, does anyone know exactly what is being adjusted here and what effect that has on the picture?

Mark
post #554 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 08:05 AM

I just installed my 3000, and I'm having some trouble. Any input is appreciated.
Some details: It is ceiling-hung with a throw of 18' to a 110"D Da-Lite Cinema Contour micro-perf. I have a 50' IonicHD HDMI cable feeding HDMI input three of the projector from a Denon AVR-3808CI. My Sony PS3 is connected via a three foot HDMI cable to HDMI input one of the receiver.
The problem: HDMI 1 on the projector won't sync with any resolution. I can get the PS3 to show up at 480p, but it loses it when I play a BD. All other resolutions won't sync at all. I can get up to 1080i on the other 2 HDMI inputs, but it seems to struggle with syncing, and has sparklies under some scenes. I can't get 1080p under any circumstances.
My initial reaction is that this is purely a cable length issue, but there definitely seems to be a problem with HDMI 1. I've run HDMI over the identical cable in a 35' length with no issues before.
Do you think this is purely a cable length problem? Is the solution a line driver? I may be able to make it work with a 35' cable... would this be a better fix then a line driver? Thanks!

Dan O
post #555 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 09:14 AM

I just received my PT-AE3000 from PP and have finally had time to play with it a bit ....I have a question for those more knowledgeable about the 2.35:1 zoom method.

I have been able to set the lens memory for 16:9 and 2.35:1 but what does not change automatically is the vertical lens shift....so each time I switch back and forth I have to jump up and spin the dial on top of the projector.

Am I missing something?
post #556 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 09:40 AM

That is a very long HDMI cable. Since you are able to sync at lower resolutions, it sounds like purely a bandwidth issue from the long cable run. Sparkles would further confirm that.

You need an active signal, I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Otterdahl View Post

I just installed my 3000, and I'm having some trouble. Any input is appreciated.
Some details: It is ceiling-hung with a throw of 18' to a 110"D Da-Lite Cinema Contour micro-perf. I have a 50' IonicHD HDMI cable feeding HDMI input three of the projector from a Denon AVR-3808CI. My Sony PS3 is connected via a three foot HDMI cable to HDMI input one of the receiver.
The problem: HDMI 1 on the projector won't sync with any resolution. I can get the PS3 to show up at 480p, but it loses it when I play a BD. All other resolutions won't sync at all. I can get up to 1080i on the other 2 HDMI inputs, but it seems to struggle with syncing, and has sparklies under some scenes. I can't get 1080p under any circumstances.
My initial reaction is that this is purely a cable length issue, but there definitely seems to be a problem with HDMI 1. I've run HDMI over the identical cable in a 35' length with no issues before.
Do you think this is purely a cable length problem? Is the solution a line driver? I may be able to make it work with a 35' cable... would this be a better fix then a line driver? Thanks!

Dan O

post #557 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 09:41 AM

Yes, you are missing something. There is a "digital" shift that is added to the memory settings for just this situation. It is all detailed on pg. 40-41 of the manual, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankle1 View Post

I just received my PT-AE3000 from PP and have finally had time to play with it a bit ....I have a question for those more knowledgeable about the 2.35:1 zoom method.

I have been able to set the lens memory for 16:9 and 2.35:1 but what does not change automatically is the vertical lens shift....so each time I switch back and forth I have to jump up and spin the dial on top of the projector.

Am I missing something?

post #558 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

If you're worried too much about the dust, take a trip to a camera store and ask for a "lens pen". They're about $5-$10. One end has a rubber piece that is used to remove smudges. The other end is a lens friendly brush for dust. I use them on my SLR lenses all the time.

+1, I use a similar lens pen on my Sharp z12000 pj. I noticed a large "fingerprint" on my lens after my 9 yr old had some friends over for a movie party. Seems like the kids not only like to do "finger puppets" on the screen during the movie, but they like to touch the lens

"It's time to nut up or shut up."
post #559 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 193
For any Toronto residents, there are three Panny reps at Bay Bloor Radio demoing the AE3000.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #560 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nice!

I can go and talk to them about my unit. Any idea what time they are staying till?
post #561 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 AM

I posted this in the other forum. Thought I'd also post this in the owner's forum.

Just got my AE3000 yesterday and set it up.

I had a JVC RS-1 and was very bothered by motion blur (I had a DLP, BENQ 8700 prior to this and had no blur issues).

All I can say is, no more blur problems for me!!!! The sharpness is a bit better than my RS-1, too.

On Frame Creation Mode 2, the picture is smooth, but at times has that "fake" look. I'll trade this look any day for the constant blur I felt watching my RS-1. On Mode 1, there isn't that "fake" look. But, I actually prefer Mode 2 myself.

I was watching the new Tinkerbell movie with my 4 year-old daughter this morning. It really looks beautiful on the Panny. My 4 year-old daughter said, "This new projector has a much clearer picture than the other one (referring to our RS1)."

I was channel surfing last night (Verizon FIOS). Sports is definately much easier on my eyes without the blur. I watched some soccer, football, boxing, and hockey. A big improvement.

I played some games on my PS3. Much less blur than my RS1.

I even like the Zoom mode to get rid of the black bars on wide format movies (I have a 16X9 setup). You lose some picture on the sides, but on certain movies that doesn't seem to matter much.

I have no focus issues or pixel issues on mine, thankfully. I have to admit, I'm not one to spend time with a DVE disc. I was glad to just unbox it, hang it, and start it up.

I've been using the normal picture mode. The Cinema 1 did seem dim for my screen size (118 inches) 1.5 gain Carada. Normal is nice and bright. Anyone with good settings to tweek the colors a bit?

Overall, so far loving it! (It's not perfect, but for $2500 that can't be expected.)
post #562 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

Nice!

I can go and talk to them about my unit. Any idea what time they are staying till?

No. I would try to get there soon though in case they aren't staying all day. They are officially launching the AE3000 in Canada there today.

post #563 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Darin.............

Have you been able to calibrate the AE3K you have been playing with to get the 900 lumens at D65 that Ekkehart mentioned???

I was hoping to find a way to make this 3K play on a 141" x 60" screen (probably 1.8 gain).

Art's readings would seem to make this a no-go, but if Ekkeharts technique can be duplicated on numerous AE3K's then it is makes it closer to possible......... me thinks you would wind up with 15+ Ftl in wide-screen mode and 19+ Ftl when in 16x9 even with a 1.0 gain.......

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Use Password = AVSForum
post #564 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:

That is a very long HDMI cable. Since you are able to sync at lower resolutions, it sounds like purely a bandwidth issue from the long cable run. Sparkles would further confirm that.

Will cheapo Abacus HDMI extender fix it?
post #565 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Are they selling them? Or just demo?
post #566 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Otterdahl View Post

Will cheapo Abacus HDMI extender fix it?

Well, I ordered a 35' 22AWG cable to try first. I'll add an extender if still necessary.
post #567 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

Are they selling them? Or just demo?

I think they are selling them.

post #568 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Regards,
Ekkehart

WOW! I just read that...I'm still hoping I will be satisfied with this PJ on a 2.35:1 screen without using an anamorphic lens (the screen will be 120 inches wide)...This statement certainly pleases me...

Stef
post #569 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikPMR View Post

I posted this in the other forum. Thought I'd also post this in the owner's forum.

Just got my AE3000 yesterday and set it up.

I had a JVC RS-1 and was very bothered by motion blur (I had a DLP, BENQ 8700 prior to this and had no blur issues).

All I can say is, no more blur problems for me!!!! The sharpness is a bit better than my RS-1, too.

On Frame Creation Mode 2, the picture is smooth, but at times has that "fake" look. I'll trade this look any day for the constant blur I felt watching my RS-1. On Mode 1, there isn't that "fake" look. But, I actually prefer Mode 2 myself.

I was watching the new Tinkerbell movie with my 4 year-old daughter this morning. It really looks beautiful on the Panny. My 4 year-old daughter said, "This new projector has a much clearer picture than the other one (referring to our RS1)."

I was channel surfing last night (Verizon FIOS). Sports is definately much easier on my eyes without the blur. I watched some soccer, football, boxing, and hockey. A big improvement.

I played some games on my PS3. Much less blur than my RS1.

I even like the Zoom mode to get rid of the black bars on wide format movies (I have a 16X9 setup). You lose some picture on the sides, but on certain movies that doesn't seem to matter much.

I have no focus issues or pixel issues on mine, thankfully. I have to admit, I'm not one to spend time with a DVE disc. I was glad to just unbox it, hang it, and start it up.

I've been using the normal picture mode. The Cinema 1 did seem dim for my screen size (118 inches) 1.5 gain Carada. Normal is nice and bright. Anyone with good settings to tweek the colors a bit?

Overall, so far loving it! (It's not perfect, but for $2500 that can't be expected.)

I got mine a yesterday, and I set it up on my 16:9 106" Da-Lite...

I had a question for you... the whole Zooming to 2.35 is technically done by just Zooming the picture bigger right?..

I don't see an actually setting for 2:35 in the menu...

But when I noticed is when I do zoom out to make the black bars disappear from the top and bottom, the picture is not longer centered on the screen...

It moves down further from the original 16:9... and when I use vertical shift it doesn't really bring it back up enough...(and also I noticed that there are two different V & H shifts in two diff menu's?)

Is that the normal way it works?...

BTW... I don't know if you saw my post earlier in the thread about adding a 2.35 screen behind my 16:9...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #570 of 4832 Old 11-08-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm running an AE300U on a 50ft HDMI cable (monoprice) with no problems. I've also got an older 45 ft DVI cable with HDMI converter at the PJ and no problems either. Sources of both have been tested at 1080p/60.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page