Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
A recent article on Cnet indicates that the failure rate of the AE3000's firt run production is as high as 60% !!!! EEK!!!!!
post #813 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

A recent article on Cnet indicates that the failure rate of the AE3000's firt run production is as high as 60% !!!! EEK!!!!!

Where do people come up with these numbers? A poll on this site of ACTUAL OWNERS had this number less than 20%.
post #814 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 AM

How is the scaling? Typically for me, the newest piece of equipment TENDS to have the best scaler. Are you using a DVD player which upscales, or leaving that to the AE3000?

I have a Panasonic S77 (with DCDi), and a PS3, so I have a couple of choices. My AE3000 is on order, so can't test myself yet

Mark MacLean

Kludge Artist
http://www.maclean.tv
post #815 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 AM

I've gone through an array of tests and my unit is great. I have no problems and have been enjoying it for 2 weeks now.

126" Carada BW 16:9 screen @ 15.5ft throw.

All I'm reiterating which has said before on this forum is that for 1 problem there are probably 10 ecstatic users.
post #816 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't remember the details of the article, but I want to say that they had tried to link it to the distribution site. One of the distribution warehouses was in a colder climate and the amount of time the units were in storage prior to shipping apparantly had some kind of impact on one of the resistors in the unit. Once the unit was fired up by the end user, the rapid change in temperature caused something to fail. I talked to someone about it and they explained it to me by comparing it to a rubber band that was placed in a freezer and then stretched. Of course, the rubber band broke.

My AE3000 has been working fine, but I fear that it's just a matter of time before I'm going to be forced to send it back. I do have my fingers crossed though.
post #817 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmclone View Post

Where do people come up with these numbers? A poll on this site of ACTUAL OWNERS had this number less than 20%.

And that is still not a failure rate. That is the above average user complaint and not actually a failure.
post #818 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I can't remember the details of the article, but I want to say that they had tried to link it to the distribution site. One of the distribution warehouses was in a colder climate and the amount of time the units were in storage prior to shipping apparantly had some kind of impact on one of the resistors in the unit. Once the unit was fired up by the end user, the rapid change in temperature caused something to fail. I talked to someone about it and they explained it to me by comparing it to a rubber band that was placed in a freezer and then stretched. Of course, the rubber band broke.

My AE3000 has been working fine, but I fear that it's just a matter of time before I'm going to be forced to send it back. I do have my fingers crossed though.

I heard the high failure numbers are due to a massive influenza outbreak at the factory causing line workers to frequently sneeze into the units they were assembling. This caused a massive increase in 'dust' blobs and fluid deposits on the optics leading to focus issues.
post #819 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just touched mine and have gotten sick. They are taking me away as I type. I may never return to read some of these stupid posts again.
Remember, those of you that believe this stuff I still have some land to sell on Mars.
post #820 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

You're doing better than a lot of people then. Most puke when UPS rings the doorbell.
post #821 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 09:57 AM

Hi guys,

Just received an AE3000u yesterday. Unfortunately, it has a stuck blue pixel that shows up right in the middle of the screen. I've ordered a lot of projectors through the years and always had good luck in not having issues like these (with the exception of the bad lamp problem found on many of the first run Sony HS10s) so getting a unit with a pixel issue was bound to happen to me one day.

Although my unit has exactly 2 hours on it, my vendor doesn't except returns on units with more than one hour of use and advised me to go through Panasonic. I'm usually not that picky about these things and wouldn't have minded having the stuck pixel if if wasn't so darn noticeable (see pic):

Any one else had to contact Panasonic about this? If so, how good are they about it and do they pay for shipping or do I have to eat those costs or live with the bad pixel altogether?
post #822 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

I heard the high failure numbers are due to a massive influenza outbreak at the factory causing line workers to frequently sneeze into the units they were assembling. This caused a massive increase in 'dust' blobs and fluid deposits on the optics leading to focus issues.

Now that's funny.

I can see it already - "The OFFICIAL Panasonic 3000 booger blob thread - Please post if you have boogers in your 3000"

Poll options:
1- HUGE ones, I can see texture
2- Big - I can tell what color they were
3- Not sure if it's a dust blob or a booger - how do I tell?
4- No boogers here - guess they used DayQuil® that day!

No replacement for displacement...
post #823 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Russell1, I had similar, annoying stuck pixel issues on my 1st and 2nd units. My 3rd unit thankfully is fine. I'm less than thrilled w/Panny's QA...a 25% problem rate, from my informal poll at least, is unacceptable. I haven't had to deal w/Panny directly, but I know in my case, the vendor contracted Panny both times before issuing me a RMA to return/exchange the units. Good luck.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #824 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by timn99 View Post

Just curious, but what would be the best way to check and see if your projector is square with the wall?

This is my procedure. More experienced projectorists please chime in.

To square the projector to the wall, you must adjust three degrees of freedom: The projector can't be tilted up/down, pointed right/left, or rotated in the axis that goes through the lens.

Make sure all keystoning is off. Project a big solid color. The blue screen works well.

Adjust the leveling legs and rotate the projector to left or right until all four of the projected rectangle's edges are parallel to the screen's edges. Lens shift the image to the center of your screen. Repeat these adjustments as necessary, since they will interact with each other, until the image edges are all parallel to the screen edges and as centered on the screen as you want them to be.
post #825 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I walk up to the projected image and use a tape measure to check if the length of the left/right sides are almost exactly equal. The same with top/bottom sides. You may need to rotate PJ slightly to left/right until it's just about equal. Also, tilt up/down if ceiling mounted.

post #826 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Start with zero lens shift. Put up a pattern with a center target. Don't worry if it isn't centered on the screen yet. Assuming you have square walls (not a good assumption, but a good place to start,) you can measure from the wall to the center of the lens, then from the wall to the center of the projected image. They should be the same, if not point the projector left or right to correct. Then measure from the ceiling to the center of the lens, and center of the projected image. If they are different, adjust the feet up or down to correct. Then bring the image to the top or bottom of the screen and make sure the tilt is right.
That is how I did it on my 2000 anyway. I have a good even focus, and am projecting from as far away as I can. 16 ft throw on a 120" screen.
Warren.
post #827 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I did it the hard way.
post #828 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper14 View Post

what do most people have for a throw distance and screen size i was eyeing up my room that i'm buildin gin teh basement for this projetor and now i'm leaning to placing it at the 17.5 mark from the lense to the screen (120) this way i'm using just a little bit of zoom, i'm going ot place it in the room on the other side and cut out a squar for the lense to beam through.

+1. I too am mounting mine at 17.5 feet (from the lens to screen) for a 110" wide scope screen. Currently am in the process of designing a mount such that the anamorphic lens can be mounted. Have 10' ceiling so flush mounting to the ceiling is not on. Will need to lower it by about 12" from the ceiling I expect.

Well, at least at 17.5' I'm not using too much zoom and expect the CA distortion to be minimal to none.

~hemster

Relentless pursuit of perfection... within budget!
post #829 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Brajesh,

Thanks for the reply. Did your vendor or Panasonic cover the shipping costs? Unfortunately, my vendor is not as accommodating as yours so I'm left with dealing with Panny directly.

Just saw your poll and I must say that percentage is alarming. I can only hope that most of the users without issues didn't bother to post cause they've been too busy watching movies

I already left a voice message with my nearest service center which is located in Illinois. Until I hear from them, I'm trying to get an idea as to what this is gonna end up costing me other than lost time..

Russell
post #830 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Please provide a link. I can find no such article on CNet.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #831 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did your vendor or Panasonic cover the shipping costs?

Unfortunately no. Had to pay for return shipping both times, but vendor paid for shipping out replacements.

post #832 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I would prefer that the new projectors had a better filtration system, or at least an easy way to clean the dust blobs like the Sanyo's. It isn't just the Panny, there are blobs in the Epson 1080UB user thread as well (along with other similar issues). Can a small piece of foam cost that much that they can't include it over all intake ports? I have had my AE-700 for 4 yrs, and never had a blob issue, so I will be quite peeved if I get one in a newer model. They should be getting better, not worse at air handling.

That said, I don't put much value in the user issue polls. Those that have issues are much more likely to participate. The Epson poll has only 21/30 respondants that had no issues out of the box. I know there are more than 30 owners, so this is not much of a pool of owners. As for the focus issues, I would tend to believe this is partially due to the lens, and partially due to improper screen to projector alignment.

That said, when I do pull the trigger on either the Panny or Epson in the coming months, I will make sure I get it from a source that will not give me any grief on returning it if I am dissatisfied.
post #833 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 12:58 PM

"Unfortunately no. Had to pay for return shipping both times, but vendor paid for shipping out replacements."

Thanks. I figured as much. How fast was their turnaround time?

Well at least it sounds like you had a helpful vendor. The vendor you purchase a PJ from can really make all the difference as I'm now learning the hard way. Even though the place I ordered from has been in business since 1977, a policy of having 1 hour or less logged on the unit and/or be within 15 hours after receipt to qualify for immediate replacement is a little too tight for me.

The Panasonic rep I spoke with today sent an email to their technical dept, who was backed up at the time, but will be contacting me with instructions. In the meantime, he assigned me a case #.

I'm pretty patient and willing to wait awhile to get a unit without any of these annoying issues but not so sure if I'd be willing to pay multiple shipping costs on 2 or 3 units to get there.
post #834 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How fast was their turnaround time?

Replacement shipped out next day after they received the original PJ.

post #835 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Replacement shipped out next day after they received the original PJ.

If you're willing to put the replacement projector on your CC and then have the $$$ deducted when the problem projector is returned, you can get a faster replacement.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #836 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 01:19 PM

After spending several hours making sure the projector was square to the screen, I can confirm that, at least in my case, it didn't make an appreciable difference in focus. The right side of the screen is still quite blurry when viewing a native 1080p computer source.
post #837 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 01:48 PM
DrA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakva View Post

As for the focus issues, I would tend to believe this is partially due to the lens, and partially due to improper screen to projector alignment.

Their advice:

"If you see a focus problem, try another model!"

I feel lucky that I can move the PJ forward to min throw, no zoom position and don't have to take a hit by selling the AE3000. How about others that can't? Royally screwed.

read
http://www.projectorcentral.com/cc990212.htm

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #838 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone tryed using there pc over the HDMI connection on the panasonic PT-AE3000, i curentally have a pioneer vsx 94 AMP i have my pc connected to the AMP via VI to HDMI (ati adapter) to recieve the 7.1 sound but i noticed when i project to the scren its about 6 inches short on all sides i then have to zoom the projector in get my full 120" screen its not projecting any light its actually like its zoomed the display out anyone elese test this

pc via HDMI
post #839 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM
DrA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpbg View Post

After spending several hours making sure the projector was square to the screen, I can confirm that, at least in my case, it didn't make an appreciable difference in focus. The right side of the screen is still quite blurry when viewing a native 1080p computer source.

can you mount closest? read this http://www.projectorcentral.com/cc990212.htm

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #840 of 4832 Old 11-19-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Viper14, download the latest video drivers. Make sure you are in 1920x1080 video mode, and put up the 1:1 pixel mapping test image (google for it) You may need to set your amp to passthrough mode in case it is trying to scale the image. I run pc to my 2000 through my amp. It worked fine, but netflix "watch now" didn't like it so I ended up running a seperate line direct to the projector.
Warren.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page