Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #991 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I don't recall ever seeing a dust blob with any other Panasonics I've had, but I do have one with my AE3000. However, I feel like I got a good one for convergence and things (no other pixel problems) and so I would rather not trade for another one. I'm planning on sending it in to Panasonic to clean the dust blob out, after my RS20 arrives.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My room is completely light controled.

Would I have any problems with a 16-18' throw distance and a 128" diagonal 2.35:1 1.4 gain screen? Is anyone using a Carada BW screen with this projector with good results?

I don't have a false screen wall and my center channel speaker will be on a stand just below the screen frame. Will I have problems with zoomed bars?

Thank you,
John
post #993 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

My room is completely light controled.

Would I have any problems with a 16-18' throw distance and a 128" diagonal 2.35:1 1.4 gain screen? Is anyone using a Carada BW screen with this projector with good results?

I don't have a false screen wall and my center channel speaker will be on a stand just below the screen frame. Will I have problems with zoomed bars?

Thank you,
John

I'm throwing a 128" diagonal from 16 feet right now onto a white bed sheet and have no problems whatsoever. I'm ordering my Carada BW 128" (precision series) in about 10 days, and the 1.4 gain surely is brighter than what I'm getting on my bedsheet currently I also have my speakers below the screen.

You should be fine.
post #994 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Nice shots... Could you give some specifics on your projector setup? Did you calibrate?

That was my buddy Casey's AE2000 from last year. It was calibrated on my 10ft wide SMX in my theater.

Cliff
post #995 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Nice shots... Could you give some specifics on your projector setup? Did you calibrate?

They are quite nice shots and did you use a tripod for those shots?
post #996 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I don't recall ever seeing a dust blob with any other Panasonics I've had, but I do have one with my AE3000. However, I feel like I got a good one for convergence and things (no other pixel problems) and so I would rather not trade for another one. I'm planning on sending it in to Panasonic to clean the dust blob out, after my RS20 arrives.

--Darin

Is there anything that can be done out side of the projector to reduce the chances of a dust blob ? What are the chances of a dust blob if I keep the filter cleaned as stated in the manual ?
post #997 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

--Darin

Have you taken any measurements (lumens, CR, etc) on it?
post #998 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemster View Post

Has anyone managed to remove a dust blob themselves without sending the PJ off to someone professional?

Hi hemster, see post #786 (page 27) in this thread.
I recommend to do what darinp2 said: If your PJ has good convergence and no dead pixels, keep it. And if the blob realy bothers you, clean it (Panasonic or yourself, your choice).
Dust blobs never were a big problem to me, because I can clean them easily.
Fernando
post #999 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

Dogone, no need to get all defensive and say I live in a dust farm. I don't. My room is clean. I had a panny 1000u before this and it had dust blobs and I had it rear mounted, not ceiling so there goes that theory of yours. I have the 3000u ceiling mounted. I think its f'n ridiculous they can't just make it a sealed optical path or something to prevent this from happening. I really do love this projector and my wife and I are blown away by every movie we watch on it but panny has some serious qc issues and this dates all the way back to my first projector I ever owned which was the panny 900u. I have 2 dead pixels, a stuck blue pixel, and now a dust blob when I have only owned it for a month and have 26 hours of use on it.

I just think it's odd that I have owned so many Panny projectors and have never seen one...I'm not a lucky person...Plus the same posters who were crying dust blobs from a year ago are the same ones that are crying now...Hmmmmm, interesting...
post #1000 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdude View Post

Honestly guys, get an air purifier for your HT room. They cost about $180 and will remove 99% of the dust in the room. I have one of the dustiest houses in the world, but after putting in a portable air purifier, there is no sign of dust in the air (I mean none). You can get one at Costco. I use a Honeywell.

That will not work.My room is very clean,My opion on the panny dust issue is the dust is allready their.That is why both of my ae2000 had the problem within 30 hours.That is why some are getting them others not.Maybe after getting rid of the first blobs the problem might not come back Hopefully.
post #1001 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

I just think it's odd that I have owned so many Panny projectors and have never seen one...I'm not a lucky person...Plus the same posters who were crying dust blobs from a year ago are the same ones that are crying now...Hmmmmm, interesting...

Ahhh, you weren't even an AVS member a year ago. Hmmmm!

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #1002 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 02:30 PM

buddahead...I remember you from like a year ago talking about dust blobs...If you are unhappy with Panasonic, why not just go buy a different model?...Like Sony or JVC that has a sealed light path?...I just don't understand why you want to come to the Panny threads?...It doesn't make any sense...If I were disgruntled with Panny, it would last 1 day, after which I would get my money back and be done with them...Instead we see these posters who go and buy the unit and then spend the next 2 years crying about it, and trying to discourage other folks from buying a great projector. Well, I hate to shatter your ball of illusion, but Panasonic is still numero uno...#1 in popularity among home theater enthusists...I'd like to say I honestly feel it's time to crap or get off the pot. Buy one, or buy something else, but don't come on here and try to discourage folks...
post #1003 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Ahhh, you weren't even an AVS member a year ago. Hmmmm!

Yes, but I was a reader...
post #1004 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

I apologize if I missed the post, but did Jason ever review the PT AE3000? A forum member was supposed to ship his PT AE3000 to Jason.

Yes, I would be interested in his thoughts also.
post #1005 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I would be interested in his thoughts also.

Are you sure?

Are you prepared to let the chips fall where they may?

Would you accuse Jason/AVS of bias because they don't sell Panasonic?

You don't seem real keen on hearing anything but praise for the AE3000.

post #1006 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

So what dogone, we are making this up for no reason. As I said, I love the projector. I do have 3 pixel problems but they aren't visible from seating distance so I decided to ignore it since my convergence looks good to me and I didn't wanna risk getting another that was outta whack. If I can get rid of the blob myself great, if not then sometime during my warranty Panny will be doing it. I tell you what though, it's people like you that have really turned this forum upside down and made me stop coming around as much. Too bad we can't meet in person.
post #1007 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Are you sure?

Are you prepared to let the chips fall where they may?

Would you accuse Jason/AVS of bias because they don't sell Panasonic?

You don't seem real keen on hearing anything but praise for the AE3000.

Yes, I am sure...I can still rember Alan (who I respect) raving about the AE2000U when it first came out...I might be mistaken, but I think he owns or owed one for his living room.
post #1008 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:

So what dogone, we are making this up for no reason. As I said, I love the projector. I do have 3 pixel problems but they aren't visible from seating distance so I decided to ignore it since my convergence looks good to me and I didn't wanna risk getting another that was outta whack. If I can get rid of the blob myself great, if not then sometime during my warranty Panny will be doing it. I tell you what though, it's people like you that have really turned this forum upside down and made me stop coming around as much. Too bad we can't meet in person.

That is too bad...I would like that very much...

But, I honestly think it's folks like you who turn it upsidedown...
post #1009 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dogone, no need to get all defensive and say I live in a dust farm. I don't. My room is clean.

Darth...

It is not uncommon for there to be contamination in the optical block from the factory, and this includes projectors with sealed light engines.

To some degree, despite the potential for additional contaminates on an open optical block design, they are also much easier to clean.

A projector with a sealed light engine can be a real pain in the butt to clean, if not impossible. Such was the case with my 1st digital projector a NEC HT1000. After receiving a replacement projector that still had contaminates on the DMD, a few of us figured out how to do surgery on that puppy, right Guitarman? It was a tough cookie.

An open light engine design is a piece of cake to clean, so long as you are careful of your cleaning environment and what you use.

post #1010 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tell you what though, it's people like you that have really turned this forum upside down and made me stop coming around as much. Too bad we can't meet in person.

Sounds like a promised beat down..........oh its on now.

On another note I got a chance to see the 3000 in Japan, very nice PQ, however it too had stuck pixels(3 blue) and though not visible all the time, I can see how it would bother owners. I'm not sure why so many owners are experiencing these problems with so many units, perhaps quality control.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #1011 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

I'm not sure why so many owners are experiencing these problems with so many units, perhaps quality control.

When you hear Espon might cherry pick optical blocks for the Pro 7100 and 7500UB, you have to wonder what becomes of those not selected.

Is it possible Panasonic, in order to meet a price point on the AE3000 to allow for the current $2500 street price, they are accepting a broad batch of optical blocks and QC standards?

This might explain the hit or miss reports from owners on a wide range of panel quality criteria.

post #1012 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM

Bytehoven...do you own a PT-AE3000U?
post #1013 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:

buddahead...I remember you from like a year ago talking about dust blobs...If you are unhappy with Panasonic, why not just go buy a different model?...Like Sony or JVC that has a sealed light path?...I just don't understand why you want to come to the Panny threads?...It doesn't make any sense...If I were disgruntled with Panny, it would last 1 day, after which I would get my money back and be done with them...Instead we see these posters who go and buy the unit and then spend the next 2 years crying about it, and trying to discourage other folks from buying a great projector. Well, I hate to shatter your ball of illusion, but Panasonic is still numero uno...#1 in popularity among home theater enthusists...I'd like to say I honestly feel it's time to crap or get off the pot. Buy one, or buy something else, but don't come on here and try to discourage folks...

Hey boy'I am not unhappy with panny.I own one now that is excellent.I am been on the ae3000 bandwagon since it came out.If their are problems with dust then all should know about it.You need to chill on the panny hype though.Sounds like your first fp.I am glad you are overwelm with joy over your ae3000.Just because I are anyone else says their might be issues then they need to be heard.GROWUP
post #1014 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Hey boy'I am not unhappy with panny.I own one now that is excellent.I am been on the ae3000 bandwagon since it came out.If their are problems with dust then all should know about it.You need to chill on the panny hype though.Sounds like your first fp.I am glad you are overwelm with joy over your ae3000.Just because I are anyone else says their might be issues then they need to be heard.GROWUP

This projector is so awesome I feel like it "is" my first projector!... I do not need to grow up...(done that)...I was under the impression that owner threads were for owners?...Do you own a PT-AE3000U?
post #1015 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:

This projector is so awesome I feel like it "is" my first projector!... I do not need to grow up...(done that)...I was under the impression that owner threads were for owners?...Do you own a PT-AE3000U?

Looks like you do not get it.The owners thread is for those who own one to post their opions and observations 'also to give those looking for their next fp to see the opions and ask questions before buying and to see'most important if a pattern of problems develope after the fp is release.In another word you and other first owners help others make are fp choice.Is that to complicated
post #1016 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Holy cow, this is by far one of the most annoying "owners threads" that I've ever read/contributed to.

Dogone, you love your ae3000u; great. I love mine, too. No chromatic abnormality, no focus issues whatsoever, no dust blobs (nor were there on my 700+ hour ae1000u that it replaced), convergence, while not perfect, is very good and on real-world material is not an issue whatsoever. I consider myself lucky, but the ae3000u is exactly what I hoped it would be. However, I have no doubt that there are bad units floating around out there, just as there are with any piece of equipment. It's what happens in the real world.

Aquafire, you got a bad unit, or at least one that you're not pleased with, and was told that it was considered "normal". I'd probably go find another projector, too. However, having done that, I'd leave the "owner's thread" of whatever product I no longer had.

It seems that there are probably quality control issues which is unfortunate. It's also the reason that Panasonic extended an extra year on their warranty for those of us that bought early units. Also, retailers seem to be doing the right thing and checking out units before shipping them out, or accepting returns beyond their normal return period.

The ae3000u is a great projector for its price, and fulfills my needs very well (bright enough, lens memory, better blacks than before, good color accuracy out of the box, great tweakability). However, at $2499 retail, it's not, nor should it be expected to be, the best projector on the market. To get "the best", you pay; I got a Pioneer Kuro to get the best picture currently available in a flat panel, and I paid a premium to get it. Other projectors at the same price point may be better at some things, worse at some things, and meet people's specific needs differently. That's great for those of us in this hobby! I wish people would find the middle ground between tearing down products unnecessarily and needlessly based on a bad experience or two, and I also wish people would stop acting like whatever they buy is the end-all, be-all of consumer electronics and anyone who says differently is wrong.

Buy what you want, report the good and the bad about it like adults, and move on. Okay, I'm done now.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #1017 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

Holy cow, this is by far one of the most annoying "owners threads" that I've ever read/contributed to.

Dogone, you love your ae3000u; great. I love mine, too. No chromatic abnormality, no focus issues whatsoever, no dust blobs (nor were there on my 700+ hour ae1000u that it replaced), convergence, while not perfect, is very good and on real-world material is not an issue whatsoever. I consider myself lucky, but the ae3000u is exactly what I hoped it would be. However, I have no doubt that there are bad units floating around out there, just as there are with any piece of equipment. It's what happens in the real world.

Aquafire, you got a bad unit, or at least one that you're not pleased with, and was told that it was considered "normal". I'd probably go find another projector, too. However, having done that, I'd leave the "owner's thread" of whatever product I no longer had.

It seems that there are probably quality control issues which is unfortunate. It's also the reason that Panasonic extended an extra year on their warranty for those of us that bought early units. Also, retailers seem to be doing the right thing and checking out units before shipping them out, or accepting returns beyond their normal return period.

The ae3000u is a great projector for its price, and fulfills my needs very well (bright enough, lens memory, better blacks than before, good color accuracy out of the box, great tweakability). However, at $2499 retail, it's not, nor should it be expected to be, the best projector on the market. To get "the best", you pay; I got a Pioneer Kuro to get the best picture currently available in a flat panel, and I paid a premium to get it. Other projectors at the same price point may be better at some things, worse at some things, and meet people's specific needs differently. That's great for those of us in this hobby! I wish people would find the middle ground between tearing down products unnecessarily and needlessly based on a bad experience or two, and I also wish people would stop acting like whatever they buy is the end-all, be-all of consumer electronics and anyone who says differently is wrong.

Buy what you want, report the good and the bad about it like adults, and move on. Okay, I'm done now.

+1, Amen.
post #1018 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
+1
post #1019 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Well said. I hope a few of the usual suspects get a clue and follow your advice. I come to to read the good and bad about the 3000, but this bickering back and forth is getting ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

post #1020 of 4832 Old 11-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtimes View Post

+1
It's shorthand for "I agree"
i.e. add me to the list of people who agree.

Duuuh. Learned something new. Its a good day.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page