2Likes

post #1081 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Nice shot's dogone.On that first screen shot' is that a dust blob on her neck are is that a mole.hehe.Happy Thanksgiving all

LOL...damn it! you made me spurt coffee on my new Sony laptop!
Thanks for pointing out that mole!...Damn, what a crappy projector!...I'm sending it back...LOL...Happy Thanksgiving!...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
One thing I don't understand is this pj got something like 446 ANSI contrast compared to the UBs 250 or so ANSI, yet the review said the UB still had just ever so slightly better blacks. If the panny has so much more, why is it not blowing away the UB? Is it because of the dynamic contrast?

Also has anyone tryed pulling more lumens out of this thing? Its rated the same as the UB, but in its brightest mode, the UB is higher. Calibrated I think it came out about 1500 luimens, but it could go over 2000 with much less color accuracy if needed for daytime viewing. I imagine the 3000 can push the lumens up higher as well, and wondering if anyone has tryed. Its no fun watching football in the dark.
post #1083 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
d james... You have to know the whole story. For instance knowing the measured native contrast and on/off contrast, as well as the gamma tracks would help clarify what was observed. It's just too easy for better native performance to appear to underperform because the other projector's gamma curve was boosting lower APL reproduction. PC could be offering more technical information in their review to help qualify their observations.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #1084 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

One thing I don't understand is this pj got something like 446 ANSI contrast compared to the UBs 250 or so ANSI, yet the review said the UB still had just ever so slightly better blacks. If the panny has so much more, why is it not blowing away the UB? Is it because of the dynamic contrast?

Also has anyone tryed pulling more lumens out of this thing? Its rated the same as the UB, but in its brightest mode, the UB is higher. Calibrated I think it came out about 1500 luimens, but it could go over 2000 with much less color accuracy if needed for daytime viewing. I imagine the 3000 can push the lumens up higher as well, and wondering if anyone has tryed. Its no fun watching football in the dark.

I believe this is in reference to Arts review at projectorreviews...I have come to absolutely "not" believe everything you read from these so-called experts on certain web sites. I have heard that the Panny out performs the 1080UB in certain scenes because of the dynamic iris functioning slighly different in different scenes...I did spend time with this unit, but never did a side by side test...But I can tell you from memory, the Pannys blacks are on parr with the UB if not better in some scenes...I have not tried to pull extra lumens with mine because I have very good window blinds, and right now I am watching the Lions/Titan game in Normal mode...If I open the blinds, I then go to a carefully calibrated "Dynamic" mode. The Panny is no slouch...It is a light canon...
post #1085 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Thanks for the help guys, Dogone, yes I was refering to Arts review. I try not to put to much thought in these reviews either, but sometimes thats all there is to get an impression, that is until its in peoples hands. I'm sure the technology in the 3000 iris is better than the UBs, so I can imagine that it would be better in the very least in some scenes.
post #1086 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Wescott View Post

Mine came double boxed - actually triple boxed. The packing box was just a plain one to protect the projector boxes. The other two are Panasonic boxes. Anyway the inside Panasonic box (smaller) is 23 1/2" X 18 1/2" X 13". The outside Panasonic box is 24" X 19" X 14".

Hope this helps and Happy T-Day!

Thanks, Guy! That's helpful information. Wow, the box is almost 3 times taller than the unit itself is! Well guess I'm going to chuck the box then and put the PJ boxless in my carry-on bag, since it looks like it will fit perfectly inside there. Actually, the physical shape of the panny is actually one of the main reasons i chose it over the VW60 and then the HW10 (was really hoping the hw10 was going to be smaller). Shelf mounting & transporability are major considerations for me.
post #1087 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 11:44 AM

Hi, quick question! Does the three screen zoom memory's also memorize the brightness levels. ie, turing up the brightness with 2.35:1 zoom and then lower it to watch a smaller 16:9 screen and even less to watch a 4:3 TV show?
post #1088 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazguy View Post

Hi, quick question! Does the three screen zoom memory's also memorize the brightness levels. ie, turing up the brightness with 2.35:1 zoom and then lower it to watch a smaller 16:9 screen and even less to watch a 4:3 TV show?

No...don't think so. here is the manual...
http://www.aboutprojectors.com/pdf/p...00u-manual.pdf
post #1089 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
check todays price on this unit
post #1090 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olinda cat View Post

I know, I saw that...tempted to buy another one, but I already bought 2...damn it.
post #1091 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Visual Apex?

Ah, and PP, see it now.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1092 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 01:58 PM

WTF Visual Apex screwed me.

2 Days after I place my order, they drop the price 200$. The salesmen was probably so anxious to get the last stock shipment out the door at full price, before the price drop, that he was willing to stay silent on the phone and screw me over.
The saddest part is that I am a return customer.
A product this popular and this sought after, everyone knows they knew exactly how and when this price drop was gonna happen.

I plan on ordering 2 more 3000's in January for my house and I can guarantee they won't be seeing my buisness again.
post #1093 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

My guy at PP told me to wait until Black Friday. He said he thought the price would go down. He had no idea how much but told me to wait. Nice guy.
post #1094 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 02:28 PM

Does the second P in PP stand for Point or People... lol?
post #1095 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

people. Sorry.
post #1096 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudSMoke View Post

WTF Visual Apex screwed me.

2 Days after I place my order, they drop the price 200$. The salesmen was probably so anxious to get the last stock shipment out the door at full price, before the price drop, that he was willing to stay silent on the phone and screw me over.
The saddest part is that I am a return customer.
A product this popular and this sought after, everyone knows they knew exactly how and when this price drop was gonna happen.

I plan on ordering 2 more 3000's in January for my house and I can guarantee they won't be seeing my buisness again.

Well, return the darn thing. You shouldn't get any restocking fee. For $200, I'd say it's worth telling them you'd rather them honor the price than return the unit. I mean, they know that you could technically return it and rebuy it, so I would hope they wouldn't want to deal with that as much as you don't want to deal with it either.
post #1097 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 03:34 PM

If you have more than 4 hours on bulb it is a 15% fee
post #1098 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 04:01 PM

ProjectorPoint is even cheaper...
post #1099 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudSMoke View Post

If you have more than 4 hours on bulb it is a 15% fee

Smoke...I sent you a PM.
post #1100 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 04:24 PM

I got my panny last friday and haven't opened it yet.It is going back if they wont refund the difference.
post #1101 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Unfortunately I just bought mine from the people yesterday. But i did it online since i was pressed for time. If i had called, im sure they would have told me to wait one day for the price to come down.
I think the key to buying a projector these days is to always call and talk to a real person instead of ordering online, and don't be afraid to ask if they can give you a discount.
post #1102 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5627429 View Post

Unfortunately I just bought mine from the people yesterday. But i did it online since i was pressed for time. If i had called, im sure they would have told me to wait one day for the price to come down.
I think the key to buying a projector these days is to always call and talk to a real person instead of ordering online, and don't be afraid to ask if they can give you a discount.

Especially if it's a week or less before black Friday...ya think?
post #1103 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 PM

Are the lower prices just part of black friday? Or are they lowered prices? I might have to call them to find out.
post #1104 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbelt View Post

Are the lower prices just part of black friday? Or are they lowered prices? I might have to call them to find out.

yes, the prices are only for Black Friday sale. They will go up after the sale...
post #1105 of 4832 Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinda cat View Post

Panasonic is priming the pump in anticipation of declining business. They say they expect TV prices, which might include projectors, to decline 30% in the coming year. News here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081127/...us_panasonic_7

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #1106 of 4832 Old 11-28-2008, 07:22 AM

New 3000 owner here and first time projector owner as well. I started to read all the pages and I got through page 9 i believe and im a lil over whelmed with info... I know when the thread started there weren't many actual 3000 owners, but now that we are at page 37 im sure there are alot more now.

My question is, is there a set of settings that everyone agrees makes the projector alot better? or is it a question of personal taste? or screen and room? With so many options/features it would take forever to try them all out. Thanks and so far I love this projector, and I dont even have a screen yet! HAHAHAHA I know I shouldn't adjust it to much before buying a screen since I'll have to readjust it later for the screen.
post #1107 of 4832 Old 11-28-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREVIL View Post

My question is, is there a set of settings that everyone agrees makes the projector alot better? or is it a question of personal taste? or screen and room? With so many options/features it would take forever to try them all out.

Yes, variations in room size, screen surface reflectivity, screen size, how "light tight" your room is, how reflective your ceiling/walls/furnishings etc can greatly change what's the right settings for especially brightness and contrast in any given environment. Comparing these settings to others is not advised.

Tint and color are usually pretty close to factory preset positions for most people but investing in a calibration disk like AVIA is worth it.

"Sharpness" doesn't really add real sharpness (or resolution detail) but rather noise and should be set to 0 (also the factory preset), AVIA will teach you why.

Cinema 1, is usually the closest to 6500 degrees K setting for the most accurate gray scale but again screen material and other factors can change this.

Ideally one should hire an ISF certified calibration expert but buying the AVIA disk is better than nothing. Luckily recent year Panasonics are well known for looking pretty good right out of the chute with very mild tweaking needed for perfectionists, bet still quite watchable in factory preset mode for most.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #1108 of 4832 Old 11-28-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:

New 3000 owner here and first time projector owner as well. I started to read all the pages and I got through page 9 i believe and im a lil over whelmed with info... I know when the thread started there weren't many actual 3000 owners, but now that we are at page 37 im sure there are alot more now.

My question is, is there a set of settings that everyone agrees makes the projector alot better? or is it a question of personal taste? or screen and room? With so many options/features it would take forever to try them all out. Thanks and so far I love this projector, and I dont even have a screen yet! HAHAHAHA I know I shouldn't adjust it to much before buying a screen since I'll have to readjust it later for the screen.

I probably shouldn't be talking to a person who calls themself "purevil", but here goes .

First, you're right, someone else's settings may be entirely different from yours based on room design (size, reflective surfaces, screen type, ambient light, etc.), as well as good old-fashioned personal taste. Generally Color 1 is closest to D65 out of the box, and Cinema 1 (which I prefer) is "Hollywood standard" (or something like that) out of the box. I also use Normal a lot when I want a little light on.

Regardless of the picture setting you choose you'll want to calibrate brightness, contrast, color, and tint at the minimum, and you can easily do this with a calibration DVD such as from Avia or DVE.

If you don't have a screen yet, don't worry about calibrating now and again later. Do it now, and it'll be good practice for you, produce a more satisfying picture until you get the screen, and help increase your familiarity with the setup menu of the projector.

Whatever you decide to do, just enjoy your projector!

Edit: I see I was beat to the punch

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #1109 of 4832 Old 11-28-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Definitely a matter of taste. From what I've read most Panny owners seem to prefer the Normal mode (myself included) The purists or videophiles seem to like the Cinema 1 mode. I prefer inky blacks and slightly over-saturated...here are my settings for very good Diredtv HD broadcasts and Blu-ray/HD-DVD. These settings are for a totally dark room...(Give or take and adjust a bit depending on source material). If you like less saturated then simply turned down the color more.

Normal

Contrast +16
Brightness -12
Color -12
Tint 0
Sharpness +14
Color Temp 0

post #1110 of 4832 Old 11-28-2008, 07:47 AM

Liked: 11
Your making me drool dogone with those screenshots.Now with that lower price.What to do.Dam
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page