post #91 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

How do you take negative from Art's first look.He says it is very good.You can't be that dum.

you spelled dumb wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There is an elitist war going on against this projector here at AVS.

They need to put the PT-AE3000U down in order to justify inflated budgets and egos.

I can only give my impressions based on my previous projector the Mistubishi HC5000.

Compared to the HC5000 the new PT-AE3000 is dramatically and noticeably better.

Obviously the PT-AE3000 is not as good as the new RS20s but it says alot that every reviewer feels that the $2500 Panny is in the same league and deserves comparison with the "best" projector that costs triple the price.
post #93 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Query withdrawn.
post #94 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 03:56 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone ever confirmed that Panny did something with the 3000 to prevent dust blobs? I saw a reference somewhere a few weeks back where a Panny rep was quoted that they were aware of the problems with the 2000 and did something to address it with the 3000 but I saw never anything about it since.
post #95 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdao View Post

Can someone direct me to Proview Digital's AE3000 ebay deal, and/or PM me with details of the deal you received? The co. didn't show up in an ebay search of "PT-AE3000," and their regular website lists the same price as other vendors. Just interested in how prices are trending, so early after product launch. Thx.

Links removed.

I got mine from PP.
They also sourced my custom DaLite screen and I have been very pleased with PP customer service and accountability.

But everyone is also saying that this Ebay dealer is legit too.

Happy shopping
post #96 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 PM

You should probably remove that link if you dont want this entire thread deleted. I am pretty sure it is against this board's posting policy.
post #97 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 04:24 PM

Liked: 11
Got mine today! Incredibly sharp and easy to set up. It is one BIIG projector. Much bigger than my old Z4.

Very very bright with much better black levels as well. Can't wait to get it calibrated!
post #98 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 05:02 PM

One thing that intrigues me is the variance of opinion on whether or not this projector throws a sharp image.

For some, the AE3000 is soft, others it is average sharpness, for some it is tack sharp...

What do you look for when evaluating sharpness? Curious as to hear people's responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBoy View Post

Got mine today! Incredibly sharp and easy to set up. It is one BIIG projector. Much bigger than my old Z4.

Very very bright with much better black levels as well. Can't wait to get it calibrated!

post #99 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 PM

Perhaps some fall into this boat, but overall I think you are over-reacting.

The shortcomings of this projector, however magnified they are to your eyes, IMO should not take away from the slew of positives and relative value it represents.

Reviews that seem to be unbalanced are all that bother me. And it is not unusual to have a few of those. Soon there will hopefully be a greater review sample, and you can weed out the overly negative and the overly positive and formulate a more accurate opinion, that is, for sight unseen buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

There is an elitist war going on against this projector here at AVS.

They need to put the PT-AE3000U down in order to justify inflated budgets and egos.

I can only give my impressions based on my previous projector the Mistubishi HC5000.

Compared to the HC5000 the new PT-AE3000 is dramatically and noticeably better.

Obviously the PT-AE3000 is not as good as the new RS20s but it says alot that every reviewer feels that the $2500 Panny is in the same league and deserves comparison with the "best" projector that costs triple the price.

post #100 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

I had to do quite a bit of tweaking to get rockband2 to play smooth and in sync. I'm still trying to decide which frame creation setting (1, 2, off) and which frame processing (fast, normal) combination I like best.

With it set to Fast and frame creation turned off, you still had to make adjustments in RockBand to get it to play in sync?
post #101 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 07:00 PM

Received mine today and have been playing with it for 3 hours...This projector is bad to the bone! I just sold my 2000U to get the $$ for the 3000U and it is a great improvement. Has aspect modes, has freeze frame now, Has 120 HZ (which is awesome!),,,Has the 235:1 memory setting, has better blacks, coverts 1080i Directv to 1080P incredibly...(looks damn near 1080P)...I really, really like the 120 HZ frame creation. I was watching, Night At The Musium, with Ben Stiller with the settings at mode 2 and the frame response set to fast and my mouth dropped to the floor!...This was on Blu-Ray. But the frame creation really works well with 1080i signals from Directv also. I am buying another one for my bedroom. For 2499.00 this sucker is KING. You are hearing this from a former 2000U owner. If you can afford it, BUY IT!...
post #102 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm upgrading from the Mits HC3000U 720p DLP, a first-rate projector even by today's standards. Before that I had a Panny AE700U. I never thought I'd be going back to an LCD, but boy is the AE3000U miles ahead from the AE700U! Anyway, I connected the AE3000U to my PS3 via the Onkyo SR705. HDMI cables of course. My current screen is a 106" 16:9 Da-Lite High Power, which I love. I plan to go 2.35:1, just don't know what screen yet. My room is fully light controlled.

Fired up the PJ and adjusted focus and zoom, then centered the image. Right away I could see the image pop off the screen. Great detail just looking at the PS3 XMB and background. Sharpness is not a problem with this PJ. It compares favorably with what I'm used to with my 720p DLP.

I tried the following Blu-rays: Iron Man, DVE, Cars, and some 1080p trailers. I'm blown away by the PQ; just awesome. Rich colors, great shadow detail, great contrast, excellent blacks, and great detail. The image has a real depth to it, almost 3D for a lack of a better term. I could only make the pixel structure out from when I walked up to the screen, about a foot away.

I tried Dynamic and found it pretty useless, even for gaming. The picture is too bright and washed out. I agree with those who've said Cinema 1 is a little dim. And I have a High Power screen. However, Cinema 2 looked perfect to me as far as accurate colors and greyscale. I'm no expert, but know what an accurate image should look like. Normal mode is bright and punchy w/o being washed out; good for screens with lower gain.

The focus, zoom, and lens shift controls are easy to use. I only wish the focus and zoom were available via the remote. It's great to have the long zoom and lens shift with the AE3000U as I had to live with a short zoom and no lens shift on my Mits HC3000U.

Next I checked for issues. There are minor convergence issues in the bottom left and bottom right, some blue fringing ... see pics below. You see them up close only, about 2ft away from the screen. I don't see any convergence issues with any actual movie/program, even when I walk to the screen. Not sure if this is a problem to worry about or not as this is my first 3LCD. No dust blobs, so that's a relief.

The only issue of real concern is I may have is a dead pixel, which would bother me. When I had 'Iron Man' on, I could see the bluish speck, but I couldn't see any speck with anything else. Anyone have a suggestion on how I can check if there really is a dead pixel or not. I tried the PJ's blue and black blackgrounds, but don't see anything with those.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #103 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 PM

My only concern is HDMI input 1 does not handshake as well as HDMI input 2 Could some other owners please check with HDMI inputs and see if they have a problem...I am not at 4 hours yet and I want to make sure that HDMI input 1 is functioning correctly. I don't think it is.
post #104 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Anyone have a suggestion on how I can check if there really is a dead pixel or not.[/color] I tried the PJ's blue and black blackgrounds, but don't see anything with those.

Set your laptop or PC to 1920x1080 @60 hz, start ms "Paint", setup image as 1920x1080, and make a complete black screen - should be black w/out any light spots. Do the same for white, green, red, blue. Check each one for obvious spots or lack thereof.

BTW, is that geometry pattern you posted 1 pixel width / height ? If so, you've got a pretty obvious convergence issue. I suspect its a wider pattern?
post #105 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I posted a few quick screen shots in my theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14983802

These were with a 3 second exposure... untouched/edited except to be resized.

I must say... Bluray zoomed in at 2.35 to fill the screen is PLENTY bright and looks incredible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #106 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:

The focus, zoom, and lens shift controls are easy to use. I only wish the focus and zoom were available via the remote. It's great to have the long zoom and lens shift with the AE3000U as I had to live with a short zoom and no lens shift on my Mits HC3000U.

Brajesh... focus and zoom via remote:

Menu > Lens Control

I'm and old member but rarely post and I've been away from avs for a long time just enjoying my old equipment. I am upgrading from my old trusty Sanyo PLV-Z1! I had no idea how much bigger the AE3000 is but it looks so nice. I have to say, I'm very happy projecting this onto a blank white wall right now. I have no theater setup yet as we're building a new townhome ready in 1 month. I can't wait!

Jim
post #107 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 08:19 PM

Right now I'm watching POTC on Directv (Starz) and it looks better than I ever remember. I am of course using the frame creation mode 2, and frame response fast...My mouth is on the floor!...
post #108 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Favor please: Those of you posting comments about the PJ and image, could you also be sure to include your screen size, aspect ratio and projector distance from screen.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #109 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 PM

How does the 120hz frame creation look? Does it have the 3D pop of the Samsung AMP or is it more subdued like the Sony 120hz?

I am glad someone comped it to the HC5000 favorably as that will be the projector the AE3000 will be replacing.

Samsung 71 FAQ
post #110 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Favor please: Those of you posting comments about the PJ and image, could you also be sure to include your screen size, aspect ratio and projector distance from screen.

Sure.

DaLite 160" 2.8 gain HiPower screen
16:9 aspect ratio
PJ placement is about 15 feet

PS3--->Yamaha RX-V2700--->PT-AE3000U

I did some testing with DVE essentials and do not have any color uniformity issues, however it does seem that I might have a minor convergence issue in the bottom right corner. It is not noticeable at all when gaming or playing movies, only when you run a test pattern and go stand 2 feet from the screen.

I have found that Cinema 1 & 2 modes are too dim for my liking on the large screen. Cinema 3 looks great, however I prefer Normal mode the best on my large screen. It has the most pop and 3D effect.

Dynamic is unusable unless you have a ton of ambient light. With the lights off in my theater dynamic mode is so bright that it hurts my eyes.

I will probably use Cinema 3 and Normal almost exclusively depending on the source.

I would highly recommend using frame creation setting 2. With this on everything is just buttery smooth. Never again will I have to look at stuttering blurry pan shots or scrolling credits!

I just got done watching "How the West Was Won" on Blu-ray. All I can say is wow! There were scenes on there that were so 3D it is just breathtaking!

Literally the characters look like 3D models floating in front of me in my theater.

What stands out the most to me about the PT-AE3000 is the richness and "pop" of the image. Everything just looks so much more lush and alive than it did on my old HC5000.

----edit----

I would also add that the IRIS is comletely totally undectable. And I have been watching for it LOL. One of the things that really annoyed me about my old HC5000 is that I could actually see the iris moving, it distracted from the experience. However I cannot detect that this projector has an iris working at all.
post #111 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

2.8 gain HiPower screen

That's a good piece of info too, thanks for including that.

Even though your screen is larger than most, I'm somewhat surprised Cinema 1&2 are both too dim even with a 2.8 gain screen.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #112 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 PM

For incredible eye candy if anyone has King Kong on HD-DVD, watch it on your new Panasonic 3000U with these settings!...Frickin incredible! Make sure your room is dark. I am using the HD-A35 set to 1080P.

Picture Mode Normal
Contrast +10
brightness -8
Color -10
Tint 0
Sharpness +14
color Temp 0

Go to advanced Menu and set frame creation to Mode 2 then go to option and set frame response to fast...Sit down and watch King Kong with these settings and tell me it doesn't blow your mind!...

Forgot to mention, screen is 120" high contrast grey..08 gain
post #113 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm upgrading from the Mits HC3000U 720p DLP, a first-rate projector even by today's standards.

I was wondering if the difference in pq going from your 720p dlp to the 1080p lcd is very noticeable. I currently have a sharp z12000 720 dlp and want to upgrade to something like the panny 3000. The sharp has an outstanding pq in 720p. I am afraid that the difference would not be that noticeable and I would be disappointed. How is the contrast, sharpness, 3d pop compared to your dlp?

"It's time to nut up or shut up."
post #114 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 PM

anyone tried this on gaming yet, any lag pls?
post #115 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone been able to display computer output via HDMI. I have no problems with VGA (which looks pretty good) but unless the computer is in character mode, I get a blue screen on HDMI. The waveform display shows no input at all. Anyone have a modeline that works? I'll puzzle one out tomorrow but it would be nice to get a known working one.

Phil
post #116 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 PM

The blue fringing in the first of those closeups looks more like chromatic aberration from the lens to me, rather than just convergence issue. Not too bad, but could be better with a higher quality lens.

Quote:

I'm upgrading from the Mits HC3000U 720p DLP, a first-rate projector even by today's standards. Before that I had a Panny AE700U. I never thought I'd be going back to an LCD, but boy is the AE3000U miles ahead from the AE700U! Anyway, I connected the AE3000U to my PS3 via the Onkyo SR705. HDMI cables of course. My current screen is a 106" 16:9 Da-Lite High Power, which I love. I plan to go 2.35:1, just don't know what screen yet. My room is fully light controlled.

Fired up the PJ and adjusted focus and zoom, then centered the image. Right away I could see the image pop off the screen. Great detail just looking at the PS3 XMB and background. Sharpness is not a problem with this PJ. It compares favorably with what I'm used to with my 720p DLP.

I tried the following Blu-rays: Iron Man, DVE, Cars, and some 1080p trailers. I'm blown away by the PQ; just awesome. Rich colors, great shadow detail, great contrast, excellent blacks, and great detail. The image has a real depth to it, almost 3D for a lack of a better term. I could only make the pixel structure out from when I walked up to the screen, about a foot away.

I tried Dynamic and found it pretty useless, even for gaming. The picture is too bright and washed out. I agree with those who've said Cinema 1 is a little dim. And I have a High Power screen. However, Cinema 2 looked perfect to me as far as accurate colors and greyscale. I'm no expect, but know what an accurate image should look like. Normal mode is bright and punchy w/o being washed out; good for screens with lower gain.

Next I checked for issues. There are minor convergence issues in the bottom left and bottom right, some blue fringing ... see pics below. You see them up close only, about 2ft away from the screen. I don't see any convergence issues with any actual movie/program, even when I walk to the screen. Not sure if this is a problem to worry about or not as this is my first 3LCD. No dust blobs, so that's a relief.

The only issue of real concern is I may have is a dead pixel, which would bother me. When I had 'Iron Man' on, I could see the bluish speck, but I couldn't see any speck with anything else. Anyone have a suggestion on how I can check if there really is a dead pixel or not. I tried the PJ's blue and black blackgrounds, but don't see anything with those.

post #117 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 PM

Setting the frame response to fast will cancel out the frame creation setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

For incredible eye candy if anyone has King Kong on HD-DVD, watch it on your new Panasonic 3000U with these settings!...Frickin incredible! Make sure your room is dark. I am using the HD-A35 set to 1080P.

Picture Mode Normal
Contrast +10
brightness -8
Color -10
Tint 0
Sharpness +14
color Temp 0

Go to advanced Menu and set frame creation to Mode 2 then go to option and set frame response to fast...Sit down and watch King Kong with these settings and tell me it doesn't blow your mind!...

Forgot to mention, screen is 120" high contrast grey..08 gain

post #118 of 4832 Old 10-31-2008, 11:35 PM

I had no problems gaming. Played several songs on Rock Band and played Call of Duty World at War multiplayer beta online. I noticed the chart would occasionaly stutter on Rock Band but as soon as I turned Frame Creation off it was smooth as could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueweed View Post

anyone tried this on gaming yet, any lag pls?

post #119 of 4832 Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Sharpness +14

Does the image not ring with a sharpness set so high ?

Regards,
post #120 of 4832 Old 11-01-2008, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Everyone:

I've really learned alot from reading the posts on this thread.

I'm wanting to pull the trigger on purchasing this projector. I have the Panasonic 900 from 2 years ago, but in the past 2 years I've traveled for my job and it was easier to use a sony 60" for all viewing.

Now that I'm settled, I'd like to get back into front projection and this projector seems ideal. More than likely, I'd be using it as a 16 x 9 image because I'd like to view Hi-Def channels from cable as well as my videogames which are all 16 x 9. Most of my DVD viewing is blu ray and 2:35 aspect ratio, but I'm more than fine with the black bars. I'd love to have the same picture qualities as my Sony 60". Vivid and colorful for videogames; more accurate grayscale/colors for DVD/blu ray viewing and something brighter for Hi-Def channels from Cable. Could this be done with a proper professional calibration?

Is the 3000 capable of being used as the sole source of hi def viewing, DVD's, videogames? My living room is fairly large right now that my 60" Sony actually looks "small" and even though the Sony has an awesome picture, I can't see keeping it and also having the 3000.

If I use the 3000 for all my viewing, would it be prudent to go ahead and order an additional lamp at the time of purchase? Also, is anyone planning to get their 3000 calibrated professionally?

Also, is there a screen that seems to bring out the best qualities of the 3000 as well? What I like about my Sony 60" is the "punch" or "virbrancy" and great detail and color that the picture has and I would love to have that type of quality if I'm going too use the 3000 for all of my viewing.

Is there a concensus on general settings for the 3000 that makes a big difference in the picture quality? i.e., what to make sure is definitely turned off or not used vs. what to make sure which things are turned on and also general settings that someone could work from. I know each setup will be different, but it would be nice to have a settings to work from?

Lastly, can someone lead me to this Ebay deal going on? Also, could it be a wise idea to wait a couple of months to see if any "bugs" come up or any potential hardward or softward surprises should come out of nowhere?

I look forward to your thoughts, comments, suggestions! Thanks!
S
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page