Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiraca View Post

I have a completely light controlled room with a 100 inch screen, 1.0 gain. Here are my impressions: 6500 is MUCH quieter than the Panny, huge if your going to mount the projector overhead. Had the Panny in Normal mode, and did not notice any brightness difference between the two. The Mitsubishi is MUCH sharper than the Panny (I used Arts calibration results for the 6500). Colors, honestly, no bs, looked identical. THere appeared to be just as much pop on the 6500 than the 3000.

This seems to but the overexcitement (and biased "I want to sell more" reviews) of the AE-3000 in a realistic light. Don't get me wrong. AE-3000 might be a excellent product. However, one still must remember that there are other projectors which can offer the same / better. Of course this is not suprise.

I just find this comparison interesting and perhaps a good indicator of how equal lcd projectors are.

Do you find anything much better in the AE-3000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by parksar View Post

I can see the green on the ae3000 is off by about two pixels and the red is off as well in a different direction.
Bought both from PP who have been absolutely great.

I don't know if they still have their policy where you can use it up to 4 hours on the bulb and return it for a full refund, but I would return that one, whether it is for an exchange or refund.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #153 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Received my new 3000 from PP yesterday and finally got a chance to set it up this morning. I'm coming from an RS1 and my screen is currently a 110" 16:9 Dalite Pearlescent (1.5 gain). My media room is not totally light controlled but for the most part, it is.
I noticed an immediate and discernible difference between the 3000 and RS1. Prior to hooking up the 3000, I watched some of JFK Blu-ray that I just received. Now JFK is a stylistic movie with various film methods displayed throughout. But the general scenes involving Kevin Costner are what I focused on in my A/B. After viewing some of these scenes on the RS1, I rewatched them on the 3000. I immediately noticed a sharper image, comparable black levels, and slightly better color saturation on the 3000. My RS1 is not professionally calibrated but I have used a DVE disc on it. The 3000 was out of the box settings - I had changed nothing yet. I played around with some of the picture settings for a while and settled on Color1 / Sharpness +2 / Frame Creation Mode 1.
I'll run DVE on the 3000 tomorrow so I'm sure the settings will change a bit.
Convergence looks good and my reds and greens are not off like someone else reported.
I'm now watching some football, primarily the GA/FL game on CBS in HD and it has never looked better. I switched frame creation to mode 2 for the game and I haven't noticed any motion blur at all whereas it occurred quite frequently on the RS1. I am really lovin' the 3000 so far.
After the games are over, I'll try out some more blu-rays.
Oh, one more thing, even with some ambient light in my room, I put the lamp in econo-mode and it looks great. It puts out a nice bright image with lots of pop.
post #154 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by parksar View Post

Not to throw a monkey wrench in to everything, but mine came yesterday to replace a 1080 ub and at least in my case the 1080 ub (which I still have ) is much sharper. I think the panels on my panny are way off, because no matter how hard i try i can't get a crystal clear picture, like i could on my old ax100 and which i can on the 1080 ub, and when i stand up close to the screen I can see the green on the ae3000 is off by about two pixels and the red is off as well in a different direction.

I am very bummed out. I am supposed to return the 1080 ub but am now thinking about just returning the panny. Bought both from PP who have been absolutely great.

I live in Alexandria, VA if anybody wants to come by and see a comparo of the two and tell me I am crazy.

I have a 1080UB and I was thinking maybe the Panny would be an "upgrade". However, after reading some early reviews, it appears as if the 1080UB still beats the new Panny in several areas and the edge still goes to the 1080UB overall. There are a few features that the Panny 3000 has, however,that might give it a slight edge if you're looking for those.

The new Epson 6500 would certainly be a better choice because that will surely beat the 1080UB and, thus, be better than the Panny. If they offer the 6500 under 3K then it appears to be the leader in the low-priced LCD 1080p projectors.
post #155 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Received my new 3000 from PP yesterday and finally got a chance to set it up this morning. I'm coming from an RS1 and my screen is currently a 110" 16:9 Dalite Pearlescent (1.5 gain). My media room is not totally light controlled but for the most part, it is.
I noticed an immediate and discernible difference between the 3000 and RS1. Prior to hooking up the 3000, I watched some of JFK Blu-ray that I just received. Now JFK is a stylistic movie with various film methods displayed throughout. But the general scenes involving Kevin Costner are what I focused on in my A/B. After viewing some of these scenes on the RS1, I rewatched them on the 3000. I immediately noticed a sharper image, comparable black levels, and slightly better color saturation on the 3000. My RS1 is not professionally calibrated but I have used a DVE disc on it. The 3000 was out of the box settings - I had changed nothing yet. I played around with some of the picture settings for a while and settled on Color1 / Sharpness +2 / Frame Creation Mode 1.
I'll run DVE on the 3000 tomorrow so I'm sure the settings will change a bit.
Convergence looks good and my reds and greens are not off like someone else reported.
I'm now watching some football, primarily the GA/FL game on CBS in HD and it has never looked better. I switched frame creation to mode 2 for the game and I haven't noticed any motion blur at all whereas it occurred quite frequently on the RS1. I am really lovin' the 3000 so far.
After the games are over, I'll try out some more blu-rays.
Oh, one more thing, even with some ambient light in my room, I put the lamp in econo-mode and it looks great. It puts out a nice bright image with lots of pop.

Wow that sounds great! Good to know that in a side by side comparison PT-AE3000U is looking better than RS-1.

You are lucky to have no convergence issues, mine has slight convergence problems in the bottom left and right corners.

It seems that other people had this problem too. It really is not a big deal as you cannot see it from a distance, but still I always would prefer a "perfect" unit.
post #156 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

Wow that sounds great! Good to know that in a side by side comparison PT-AE3000U is looking better than RS-1.

You are lucky to have no convergence issues, mine has slight convergence problems in the bottom left and right corners.

It seems that other people had this problem too. It really is not a big deal as you cannot see it from a distance, but still I always would prefer a "perfect" unit.

What picture setting are you finding best? I like both Color1 and Cinema1 but I've settled on Color1 for now.
post #157 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 01:59 PM

I have never personally seen a measurement stated for contrast ratio, ANSI or otherwise on projectorreviews.com. Now, I haven't read all of his reviews so I am not saying he hasn't published these measurements, I just haven't come across them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post

He does. You have to wait for the actual review, not the blog.

I haven't seen the Epson, but I can say that the blacks are not nearly as impressive as I thought they would be coming from my nearly 5 year old Sanyo Z2. That said, I have only done a quick brightness and contrast setup in Cinema 3 from Avia.

post #158 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm bummed . My Panny has a dead pixel. Can only see it in dark/black scenes, but it's in a fixed spot and glows blue. I could live w/minor convergence issues as you can't see them in actual viewing, but this yes & it's annoying.

Got my unit from proviewdigital & will give them a call Monday. Hope I don't have to fight them over an exchange.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #159 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

My only concern is HDMI input 1 does not handshake as well as HDMI input 2 Could some other owners please check with HDMI inputs and see if they have a problem...I am not at 4 hours yet and I want to make sure that HDMI input 1 is functioning correctly. I don't think it is.

You are correct I found the same thing. Its like the HDMI does not fit correctly (perhaps to loose?>) 2 works fine

Texas Steve
post #160 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas steve View Post

You are correct I found the same thing. Its like the HDMI does not fit correctly (perhaps to loose?>) 2 works fine

Yeah thanks... It doesn't bother me too much, I mean my Pioneer Elite receiver does all the switching, so I only need one HDMI input on the projector...Kind of a pisser though for a brand new unit. If you listen real carefully with your ear to the projector you can hear tiny clicking sound when switching modes on your receiver when attemting to use HDMI 1...Like it's having a hard time handshaking or something...I will notify Panasonic of this issue....
post #161 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkuti View Post

This seems to but the overexcitement (and biased "I want to sell more" reviews) of the AE-3000 in a realistic light. Don't get me wrong. AE-3000 might be a excellent product. However, one still must remember that there are other projectors which can offer the same / better. Of course this is not suprise.

I just find this comparison interesting and perhaps a good indicator of how equal lcd projectors are.

Do you find anything much better in the AE-3000?

At this point, no. I have two media rooms, and will keep both. However, to my eye ( I have perfect vision, no glasses), the 6500 is much sharper, is identical in color and has the same pop.
post #162 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I'm bummed . My Panny has a dead pixel.

You should make sure to tell them that it is a stuck on pixel. I don't think a dead blue pixel would be much of an issue with 1080p since that is very hard to see (yellow on white is hard to see, etc.), but stuck on is a different matter.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #163 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Will do, thanks!

post #164 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 04:40 PM

I guess I'll weigh in on this projector from the perspective of someone who owned a 1000AE and a 2000 AE. I'm projecting from about the middle of the zoom range to a 100" 16:9 Stewart 2.0 gain screen, HDMI input. The step from the 1000 to the 2000 was a relatively minor improvement - I thought it was worth it but I could have lived with the 1000. This was a much bigger jump and I would not want to go back to the 2000. The biggest surprise: sharpness. My 3000 is distinctly sharper and can be verified not just by watching a movie but by examining the pixel structure at close range. The 2nd big improvement is the "punch" and "depth" the picture has. It is clearly better than the 2000 and it looks as if a light haze has been removed from the picture the 2000 produced. It is more DLP-like in this regard. The black level is better, but not as dramatic an improvement IMHO. Those of you with 2000s know the black level is pretty darn good already and this is a step forward, but it ain't no CRT yet. It is a bit brighter, but that might well be due to a new bulb vrs old bulb.
I haven't really messed with the frame creation yet. It retains the very quiet fan, the great iris (no sound, no pumping), the really good out of the box calibration in the color and cinema modes, etc.
I guess I'd summarize by saying my 1000 to 2000 jump was "yeah, it is better..............a little." My 2000 to 3000
was "Damn, look at that!"
I'm trying to be objective here and a not a fan-boy, but I gotta say that I am blown away by this thing when you take the whole package into consideration. The picture is stunning, the price is very reasonable, and the features unmatched at any price (waveform moniter, frame creation, split screen, lens presets for different aspect ratios, internal adjustable color filter and so forth). It has great installment flexability with the wide zoom range, lens shift capability and selection of inputs. Throw in power zoom and focus and a better than average calibration menu and shucky darn, this thing is a winner!

Dick Fogg
post #165 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What are you guys using to test color uniformity and convergence? Avia? Which titles on avia?

thanks!
post #166 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by arefog View Post

The biggest surprise: sharpness. My 3000 is distinctly sharper and can be verified not just by watching a movie but by examining the pixel structure at close range. The 2nd big improvement is the "punch" and "depth" the picture has.

Any chance this is related to better convergence? I have even seen the same model look vastly different based on how good the convergence was.
post #167 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

What are you guys using to test color uniformity and convergence? Avia? Which titles on avia?!

DVE Blu-ray.

post #168 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Brajesh,

You have a pm!
post #169 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok I had a chance to watch a couple movies, some Hockey, basketball and UFC.

Im torn so far. Sometimes i'm blown away and other times i'm not impressed. I have done no calibration at all. At times this unit does seem dim.

I've tried frame 1, 2 and off. In the hockey game I really don't see a difference? In the Basketall and hockey games the close ups are absolutely stunning, But the motion blur is troubling...

I'm frustrated. I read reviews by pros calling this projector awesome and i'm writing this....anyone else felt this way and have some settings that helped?
post #170 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

Ok I had a chance to watch a couple movies, some Hockey, basketball and UFC.

Im torn so far. Sometimes i'm blown away and other times i'm not impressed. I have done no calibration at all. At times this unit does seem dim.

I've tried frame 1, 2 and off. In the hockey game I really don't see a difference?

I'm frustrated. I read reviews by pros calling this projector awesome and i'm writing this....anyone else felt this way and have some settings that helped?

I can't believe you don't see the difference between frame creation off and mode 2 on a hockey game. It's such a noticeable difference for me on football games that I have watched this afternoon and evening. Plus, text that scrolls across the bottom of the screen is so much smoother on ABC and ESPN in both modes 1 and 2.
As for the lamp, I agree. It's not any brighter or dimmer than my RS1 that had 800 hours on the lamp. I put it in Eco mode and I don't see a difference so I'm using it. Perhaps it will extend the lamp life?
post #171 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 06:51 PM
DrA

I have it since Tuesday

1. Brightness: Excellent for 20’ from 120” 1.2 gain screen in light control HT for any program.
Sports: on normal mode is great
Games: dynamic mode red +4 green -2 or normal
Movies: cinema 1, 2, 3 depending on movie

Brighter than AE2000 which was adequate for my setup and extremely better than Sanyo Z2000 which was dim for my setup.

2. Best blacks I ever owned or seen. (I have seen JVC RC 1 2 years ago at Electronic expo and it’s contrast was shockingly good at that time. not any more)

3. Excellent uniformity. White is 100% (ok 99%) white even at far edges.

4. Frame creation rocks. See scrolling bottom stock ticker picture. They are as clear as non moving letters. Mode 2 is the best.

5. Excellent convergence in the middle.

6. Horrible convergence/Chromatic aberration/ focus problem on the right and left. See one pixel test at the corners. It’s a mess. I can focus to perfection each side separately but middle and other side becomes unfocused. I moved my adjustable ceiling mount pole lower to the dead center position both horizontally and vertically but no change. Then I temporarily moved the PJ 18” away from the screen to total 21 ½ feet away thinking that zooming will use only center portion of the lens but no improvement in focus but it got dimmer. Is this normal? Sanyo Z2000 had amazing focus at the corners. Worst lens than AE 2000? I would like people to comment about this problem because it really ruins the party when you are watching a channel with a lot of letters in the corners or using a HTPC computer. It is disappointing.

Overall impression: good instead of very good or excellent because of blurriness at the sides. Now praying that my 4000 hour AE900 in my bedroom quits so AE3000 soon takes its place and I can find a PJ like AE3000 with a better focus.

Editing on 11/02
I am upgrading my evaluation of AE3000 from good to very good because there are no focus problems at minimum distances from the screen.

You can use test images from this site
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/1080p_tests

My picture labeled “focus test” is from this site. Don’t use this picture for test because it is downscaled to make it below 1024 forum limit. I just put it to show how it suppose to look like ideally.
(Perhaps that limit should change because our monitors and bandwidths are better. Of course if the server can handle it and I am grateful even with existing limits)

Download to your computer, show it on your pj, take a screen shot and let’s see if “yours is better than mine” make sure you don’t post a picture from your 22 inch perfect lcd monitor. Lol

I disagree with people who say screenshots are useless. They are useful in this kind of discussions.
LL
LL
LL

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #172 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 PM
DrA

pictures of convergence are below.
repeating from my above post to add the pictures.
6. Horrible convergence/Chromatic aberration/ focus problem on the right and left. See one pixel test at the corners. It’s a mess. I can focus to perfection each side separately but middle and other side becomes unfocused. I moved my adjustable ceiling mount pole lower to the dead center position both horizontally and vertically but no change. Then I temporarily moved the PJ 18” away from the screen to total 21 ½ feet away thinking that zooming will use only center portion of the lens but no improvement in focus but it got dimmer. Is this normal? Sanyo Z2000 had amazing focus at the corners. Worst lens than AE 2000? I would like people to comment about this problem because it really ruins the party when you are watching a channel with a lot of letters in the corners or using a HTPC computer. It is disappointing.

Overall impression: good instead of very good or excellent because of blurriness at the sides. Now praying that my 4000 hour AE900 in my bedroom quits so AE3000 soon takes its place and I can find a PJ like AE3000 with a better focus.

Editing on 11/02
I am upgrading my evaluation of AE3000 from good to very good because there are no focus problems at minimum distances from the screen.

You can use test images from this site
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/1080p_tests

My picture labeled “focus test” is from this site. Don’t use this picture for test because it is downscaled to make it below 1024 forum limit. I just put it to show how it supposes to look like ideally.
(Perhaps that limit should change because our monitors and bandwidths are better. Of course if the server can handle it and I am grateful even with existing limits)

Download to your computer, show it on your pj and take a screen shot and let’s see if “yours is better than mine” make sure you don’t post a picture from your 22 inch perfect lcd monitor. Lol

I disagree with people who say screenshots are useless. They are useful in this kind of discussions.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #173 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 PM

I just hooked this up yesterday. I replaced an Optoma HD-70. I have a 96" Behr Silverscreen painted screen. I sit about 12 feet from the screen. Right out of the box, I did not notice a big difference in the picture. I was a little dissappointed at that point. Then I threw Cars in and used the THX portion to calibrate. Went back to the movie and could tell the difference. All I had to adjust was brightness and contrast. I watched the blu-ray PotC 1080p and could not believe the picture. I can say that I am glad I made this purchase. I agree with DrA. on the focus issue. Mine does not look as bad as the pictures he posted. I don't like the way the focus sreen pops up to focus. I wish I could see a screen that is relative to what I'm watching. But all in all, I am very impressed by the picture quality of this projector.

gamertag BRO GRIM
post #174 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post

Right you are doc. so I'll explicitly restrict the criticism to contrast, color accuracy, brightness, etc., i.e. only to the obviously inappropriate and exclude it from the obviously appropriate such as this, cyphering pixels etc. And so now good sir I thusly sit corrected

blu-ray Operas: 6
blu-ray Ballets : 1
There's a reason they're called the fine arts--buy them on blu-ray.
post #175 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for those 3 images. Looking at the crawler really shows you the difference and it's dramatic. They haven't gone completely insane with the bugs and crawlers up here in Canada like they have in the US. But from time to time I have to watch the speed channel and I could see that coming in handy for their crawlers.
post #176 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 07:25 PM
DrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachusTheOld View Post

Right you are doc. so I'll explicitly restrict the criticism to contrast, color accuracy, brightness, etc., i.e. only to the obviously inappropriate and exclude it from the obviously appropriate such as this, cyphering pixels etc. And so now good sir I thusly sit corrected

cyphering pixels? I can see bluriness from my seating position and from the second raw when watching CNBC channel 355 DirecTV. It is real.
Screenshot also help people who say that they can't see the difference between frame creation on or off. I saw the difference right away and it is awesome

post #177 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets69 View Post

I don't like the way the focus sreen pops up to focus. I wish I could see a screen that is relative to what I'm watching.

If you bring up the focus/zoom screen (you can hit the LENS button on the remote, or navigate to it through the menus), then you can hit [ENTER] repeatedly to toggle between the two focus screens and your video picture while you focus and zoom with the arrows.
post #178 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post

cyphering pixels?

Sorry for the confusion, a bit of a mixed metaphor that. A cypher is an organ pipe that is stuck on and goes on whistling with out end -- i.e. here a pixel stuck on. I am not disagreeing with you in any way. A photo is indeed an appropriate way of displaying localized focus issues because the reference can be self-contained within the photo as it was within the photos you posted. The same goes for a pixel that was stuck on as it would be clear from the context of surrounding pixels that is was malfunctioning.

blu-ray Operas: 6
blu-ray Ballets : 1
There's a reason they're called the fine arts--buy them on blu-ray.
post #179 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

4 out of 5 are ok for me....top left is ugly!
post #180 of 4830 Old 11-01-2008, 07:51 PM

Has anyone experimented with audio delay while in Frame Creation Mode 2?

I'm trying to find the best setting on my receiver to delay the audio enough to sync up with the delayed video in FC M2. Right now I have it set to about a 100msec delay, but I'm still not completely satisfied. It is difficult to adjust since my receiver does not let me adjust the audio delay while watching the video. If only my receiver had an "autosync" function with a microphone and photodiode to measure the delay!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page