Projector lens cleaner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What sort of cleaning solution can be used for projector lens?

I am using Optoma HD70 if this makes any difference. I heard people using monster cleaner solution ($19 from BB), eye glass cleaner from walmart (Zeiss brand) etc.

Which one is better. Mainly I do not want to damage the lens by using a solution that affects the lens coating (if any).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Good question...I would like to know also.

Joe V.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhd View Post

What sort of cleaning solution can be used for projector lens?

I am using Optoma HD70 if this makes any difference. I heard people using monster cleaner solution ($19 from BB), eye glass cleaner from walmart (Zeiss brand) etc.

Which one is better. Mainly I do not want to damage the lens by using a solution that affects the lens coating (if any).

I also have an HD 70 and have used the Zeiss wet pads from Wal-Mart in conjunction with a soft generic eyeglass cloth (chamois-like) designed for plastic lens cleaning. This method appears to be safe and I have not noticed any visible scratching, or image distortion of any kind.
post #4 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Why does the lens need cleaning? I have had my HD70 up for over 2 years now and the lens cap has never even been used. I don't see any reason to clean mine. Are there smokers or smoke contamination?
post #5 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

Why does the lens need cleaning? I have had my HD70 up for over 2 years now and the lens cap has never even been used. I don't see any reason to clean mine. Are there smokers or smoke contamination?

Any interior glass surface eventually accumulates some degree of film or pollutants out of the air, even in homes of non-smokers. Ever visit the home of someone who doesn't change furnace filters on a periodic basis? If the condition persists long enough a dirt film accumlates on the windows and walls. The interior side of windows even in a very clean home (over time) accumulates a film whether a smoker lives there or not. Typical residential heating and cooling systems continually churn dirt and particulates through the air. Over time these will settle on surfaces in the home. Granted, a lens cap limits exposure to airborne contaminants, but over time they will accumulate on a lens surface. It takes less than a minute to clean the lens. After investing in an HD projector, Blu-ray player and discs it seems like a small price to pay to ensure the presentation is optimal.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Hmm I've got cob webs right on the lens itself, maybe its time for me to clean it up. The picture still looks great!

For cleaning I'd use a microfiber cloth designed for camera lens. You don't need any special chemicals unless there is some serius crude on there, if you blow on it the moisture from your mouth will add a little fog on the glass and you can wipe it clean.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post

Any interior glass surface eventually accumulates some degree of film or pollutants out of the air, even in homes of non-smokers. Ever visit the home of someone who doesn't change furnace filters on a periodic basis?

Good point, thanks. I have a high 90 gas furnace so I better give my lens a close look later this winter to see if it is getting any film on it.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
This advice was handed down to me by a professional photographer with about 30 years in the business and owning over $250K worth of photo gear .

Never use anything wet on most lenses unless told to do so by the manufacturer , you can remove coatings/films that are supposed to be there . Best to use a light duster to remove dust particles first and if further cleaning is required then use a lens approved dry cloth and wipe lightly in a circular motion .

Hope that helps .
- Jason
post #9 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
i agree. i would be very very careful with ANY chemical cleaner of any kind. projector lenses usually have a coating on them which could easily be removed with chemicals. i would use a dry soft microfibre cloth ONLY
post #10 of 19 Old 11-12-2008, 02:43 AM

> Hmm I've got cob webs right on the lens itself

So you'll have two spiders in Spiderman? Cool. I use Hama lens cleaning fluid which came in a set with "optical paper" for lens cleaning. Found it in the photo and video section of a local shop. Before that, I tried 100% isopropanol from a pharmacy with a microfiber cloth but that left streaks - probably from the cloth which has been used before. The use-once paper (which, by the way, looks like parchment paper) works better.

> projector lenses usually have a coating on them which could easily be removed with chemicals

From what I understand, these metallic coatings are not "easily" removable at all. Peope who want to remove the coating have found out that you have to grind long and hard.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Im a part-time photographer also and don't use any liquids/chemicals to clean lens.. big no no no.

Use a bulb blower to remove dust particles, a turkey baster will work just fine.

There is nothing that will get on the lens that will require a liquid/chemical cleaning agent unless you smoke heavily. Even then, it would take a good a bit of time to accumulate enough to degrade image quality.

If your image isn't degraded, there isn't really a point to it anyway, IMO.

The more you clean, the greater the chance you have of damaging the lens.

The Truth IS out there!
post #12 of 19 Old 11-12-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Blasting the lens to agressively with a bulb or canned air may cause dust blob on your panels--much more painful problem and will be visible as dust blobs on your image.

Camera lens cleaner is designed to clean the lens without killing the coating. Just don't use it weekly--may be quarterly.

Huey ;-]
post #13 of 19 Old 11-13-2008, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

The only cleaner accessories I would trust would be these: http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/formulamc.html.

Basically, I agree with the other posts, that a lens brush from a camera store, is all that really should need to be used.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #14 of 19 Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 AM

> Blasting the lens to agressively with a bulb or canned air may cause dust blob on your panels

Are you serious?! There is no way you can blow dust blobs through a couple of glas lenses and through a glass prism to the panels. The advice against using air is for open projectors. And don't blow air into the air exhaust vent As to canned air, it's expensive and not necessarily pure. For removing fingerprints, lense cleaning fluids work fine. They are not made for rubbing the lense once per week, of course. But some projectors (e.g. in students' apartments) are subjected to conditions that may require the use of more than a bulb blower occasionally. Spilled beverages, fingerprints, residue from preparing meals in the same room etc.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Who mentioned compressed/canned air? No one.

A bulb blower puts out just enough air to move dust particles only and is safe. Safe enough to use on digital camera sensors.

We are talking the outside of the PJ lens right?

The Truth IS out there!
post #16 of 19 Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 AM

What do you do if you notice dust on the inside of the lens??

The wife did me a favor a while back and vacuumed the filter while it was still on the side of the PJ . Never really though much of it until it was mentioned above not to blow air into the exhaust vent. With her vacuuming the filter it probably sucked dust in through the exhaust vent

It is a Panny AX200U.

Haven't really looked into it as it is less than a year old.

Any thoughts or ideas?

First HTPC: Silverstone SST-GD05B-USB3.0 case, PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP MB, i3-3225 3.3GHz CPU, G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory, A-Data XPG SX900 128GB 2.5" SSD and Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray.

Going to try out the HD4000 graphics for a bit.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to use a lense pen and a bulb blower - never any liquid. I haven't cleaned my pj lenses in 2 years. IMO if you don't smoke and don't leave finger prints on the lense the need for cleaning is really insignificant. I have never noticed any IQ issue with a tiny bit of dust on the lense. You can't get rid of all the dust anyway. Don't sweat the small things.

On the other hand I open up my LCD pj to rid the inside of dust every 6 months.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM

I'm trying to get dust blobs off of my image. Have cleaned the color wheel and both lenses. Didn't realize compressed gas could cause dust blob formation. Where is a place to some pure gas? Really trying to get this thing cleaned up the dust blobs are very annoying when there is no ambient light.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
JUst ordered some Micro Fiber clothes. Hoped they work on my 8720 lens
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page