Infocus X10/ IN80 Owners thread - Reviews, Settings, Screenshots and issues - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 985 Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

Mine does this as soon as it's powered on, so I doubt it's an overheating problem.

Agreed. This is my fourth or fifth IN8X projector, all replacements during warranty. In my experience if the red blotchng is alowed to go too long then it becomes permanent.

This projector was no longer under warranty when it started with the red blotching so I decided to take it apart to see what the issue might be. When I found that the color wheel was passively cooled I decided to try using a fan to pull the hot air out. I initially used an old computer fan that I had on hand along with a 12VDC wall wart. Much to my surprise I have not had another issue, this is going on a month now.

I wanted to put into place a smaller more quiet fan, so I went to my local Ratshack and picked up the necessary parts. The new setup uses a much smaller fan and I am now powering the fan with the vertical screen trigger, so now it only runs when the projector is on (the trigger doesn't activate immediately, it takes a few seconds after power up). I have just completed the installation of the smaller fan, time will tell if it works as well as the larger fan but frankly I felt very little difference in output an the smaller fan is more quiet.

Here are a few pics:

You will need to solder the power jack and I had to solder an additional length of wire. The fan needs to sit up off the housing a tiny bit for the fan blades to clear, the double sided tape worked well for this.

Good Luck!

Best,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 985 Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM

Liked: 13
So far the small fan has done everything the larger fan did. I have not had any issues with the red blotchy areas in dark scenes.

Best,
Ed
post #963 of 985 Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Thanks for the pictures, the clear explanation and the follow up. You've talked me into giving it a shot. I've bought all the "ingredients" except the fan itself. It's been ordered and is on its way.
post #964 of 985 Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

The fan(s) were on the proverbial slow boat from China. Actually, they did get here reasonably fast, and I finally got around to trying this out.

First, I took down the X10, opened it up, removed the baffle unit (3 screws, but you need a magnetic screwdriver for one of them), carefully removed the metal filters and gave them a good cleaning, front and back. They had built up the usual accumulation of a fine dust layer.

Second, I removed the big metal plate (12 or 15 screws) so as to access the color wheel. I gave that a good cleaning with even, repeated strokes all around of a Q-tip dipped in 70% isopropyl alcohol, front and back.

Finally, I broke out the old soldering iron to hook up the fan as nicely illustrated above by EdBag4 and place it with double-sided tape over the color wheel vent. At first, I used a 60mm fan. I thought it added some noise, so I tried substituting a 40mm fan. It was actually a bit louder and whinier, so I went back with the 60mm fan.

Observations:
  1. My soldering skills are definitely rusty, even for such a simple job.
  2. It's really cool the vertical and horizontal screen trigger jacks conveniently provide the needed 12v current. I would've never thunk to try that.
  3. I may try to find a super quiet fan. Any suggestions? Although since it's out in the open and not in a housing or a baffle, I think most of the noise just comes from the air it's pulling out of the X10 case.

And now, the point of all of this: Does it reduce posterization (aka color banding or blotchiness)? Well, I'd say the jury is still out. The blotchiness was coming back a bit lately, so that's why I tried all this. The thorough cleaning, especially of the color wheel, has greatly reduced posterization in the past, so that could be an important part of the improvement I see. Yes, it has substantially improved. Is the blotchiness completely gone? Not completely, but I'd say about 90% better. Is the added fan doing this? Perhaps. It might even be getting a little better over time as the fan continues to do its job. I'll continue my observations. As they say, more study is needed, but this is definitely something worth trying, so kudos to EdBag4.
LL
LL
LL
post #965 of 985 Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

I'm out.

Despite my best efforts and more than saintly patience, posterization is creeping back - not horribly, but enough to make me say that's the end of the line for me with InFocus products (before the X10, I went through InFocus X1 buzz saw hell). You can't say I didn't try to give the X10 every chance.

Nothing's perfect, but I'm now much happier with the very reasonably priced Viewsonic Pro8200:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post22095770
post #966 of 985 Old 11-02-2012, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Posting in this part of the forums after a long gap.

Anyone still using the IN8X projectors from Infocus. I am still with my IN82 and the image is so gorgeous that I have stopped worrying about upgrade

As mentioned earlier, the unit suffered the red blotchy image issue a couple of times early last year and before that, but after taking up the case with Infocus in Feb 2011, it seems they have permanently fixed it and I have not seen the issue raising its head in the last 18 months and I am already near 1000 hrs on the current unit.

How are you getting along folks with your IN8X?
post #967 of 985 Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Mine is sitting on a shelf suffering from the red blotchy problem. Still works ok with brilliant color on, but I went ahead and replaced it with a Benq W6000.
post #968 of 985 Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirbana View Post

Posting in this part of the forums after a long gap.
Anyone still using the IN8X projectors from Infocus. I am still with my IN82 and the image is so gorgeous that I have stopped worrying about upgrade
As mentioned earlier, the unit suffered the red blotchy image issue a couple of times early last year and before that, but after taking up the case with Infocus in Feb 2011, it seems they have permanently fixed it and I have not seen the issue raising its head in the last 18 months and I am already near 1000 hrs on the current unit.
How are you getting along folks with your IN8X?
Sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones. I've been using the X10 for the past 3.5 years and it's been rock solid. Not a hint of posterization or any other issue. (Of course, I probably just jinxed myself here. I'm sure the damned video board started dying as soon as I typed that last period.)

I just changed the lamp at 1700 hours and I'm enjoying a renewed, brighter image. I recognize the X10 is not exactly state of the art in terms of contrast, but it still throws a great image and I haven't had any urge to upgrade. I've seen some fairly cheap refurbished IN83s and IN82s on eBay, and have been a little tempted, but the posterization reports have scared me off. I'd rather have my proven unit vs rolling the dice on a higher end IN8x model. Too bad reliability wasn't better, it sure would have been an easy upgrade. Just swap out one for the other!

I really only expect to get 3-4 years out of any PJ before it dies, so as soon as my X10 bites the dust I'll figure out what to get next.
post #969 of 985 Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM

My unit recently started suffering with posterization and 16-bit looking pictures. I changed the bulb using a non-oem bulb but in the Infocus housing and it still had the problem. I purchased a brand new bulb from Infocus hoping it'll fix the problem (maybe a lamp voltage or something), but alas, it didn't. I even tried different HDMI cables and even a SVHS cable without luck.

So since my unit was out of warranty I decided to crack the thing open and clean the dust out as was detailed earlier in this thread. I used can air to clean the filters and the color wheel. I then put the unit back together again and fired it up. I'll be darned but the X10 is running like new again. I've run it for several hours and no problems whatsoever.
post #970 of 985 Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, this thread appears to be dead, but what the hell I'm bored. Despite my reservations (and helped by an evening of wine drinking wink.gif ), I pulled the trigger and bought a refurbished IN83 from eBay recently. It's shipping directly from Infocus this week.

I have no idea what to expect, but the price was right and I was itching to do an upgrade somewhere in my HT. I'm in a pretty happy place with audio at the moment, so it made sense to upgrade my X10 to the top of the line IN83. Will I see a significant improvement? Will the thing come with 5000 hours already on it? Will it develop posterization after a month? Who knows!
post #971 of 985 Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 AM

I love my X10 also... well at least I did... some time ago it stopped working and since then I've been trying to get it fixed or fix it myself...

It started when I unplugged my HDMI cable from my PC and connected it to my PS3, the beamer turned itself off.
After that whatever I tried to connect to my X10 it gives the "no signal" message.

So a few days ago I took it apart and tried to figure out what could be wrong.
First observations were:

- The powersupply makes a strange buzzing sound which I never heard before
- Connecting something with the Composite cable works
- Connecting my DVD player with HDMI works to but after a while my DVD player starts making strange noises and now it also doesn't work anymore
- Connecting my PC or PS3 still gives no signal and my PC doesn't even recognize anything connected

My first hunch is that somehow I damaged the powersupply when changing the cable between my PC and PS3.

So my question is can anyone help me with this... if you need more information I can give.
Or can anyone direct me to a website who sells spare parts so i can just replace it ?

Many thanks in advance
post #972 of 985 Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought an IN83 off Ebay almost 2 years ago and it has been running great, no desire to upgrade until I can summon up enough money to buy a used/ex-demo 3 chip projector. The consistency of the lamp brightness is really impressive after owning a JVC, I am at the 4000 hour mark on my current bulb and it is still bright enough! I occasionally get this issue on startup where two halves of the screen are incorrectly tinted - one side looks greenish and the other reddish. I just power it off and back on again and it goes away. Not a big problem, happens about 5-6 times a year. No signs of posterization either.
Considering I have got about 7000 hours usage out of it and had to put it in luggage on a plane to bring it over, I have no complaints.

Daesanye - Concerning the HDMI, mine does seem a little fussy, certain devices it just couldn't get it to recognize but I never had an issue with the PS3. I use a Sony audio system with HDMI pass-through, with the problematic devices I found not running through the system sometimes worked. Its not a great suggestion but if you could try that in reverse using an HDMI switcher, or something with pass-through, it might be worth a shot?

Although if neither PC or HDMI ports work then I would guess something more serious is going on. Trying to find parts might be difficult, it might be easier just to try and find a cheap replacement IN8x from Ebay

post #973 of 985 Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daesanye View Post

First observations were:

- The powersupply makes a strange buzzing sound which I never heard before
- Connecting something with the Composite cable works
- Connecting my DVD player with HDMI works to but after a while my DVD player starts making strange noises and now it also doesn't work anymore
- Connecting my PC or PS3 still gives no signal and my PC doesn't even recognize anything connected

My first hunch is that somehow I damaged the powersupply when changing the cable between my PC and PS3.

So my question is can anyone help me with this... if you need more information I can give.
Or can anyone direct me to a website who sells spare parts so i can just replace it ?
Hi Daesanye, welcome to the forum.

If you haven't already tried it, I would use a different HDMI cable to rule that out as the cause of the problem.

If a different HDMI cable still doesn't work, and the projector is working fine using the composite (as you mentioned) and the component (have you tried that?) inputs, then I doubt it is the power supply. My guess would be a bad HDMI port/board.

If it is a bad HDMI port, I would either use the component input until you get a new projector, or just go out and get a new projector now. I probably wouldn't invest in fixing it at this point, but that's up to you. If you want to know what a new HDMI replacement would be, member Sheridan1952 has access to replacement parts and can usually let you know the cost. You can try sending him a PM if you want.

The other option is to send it in for repair to a place like projectordoctor (now mendtronix.com). It's probably going to cost you at least $250, but I don't know for sure. That's what it cost me to replace a power supply in an IN76 a few years back (sent to Adtech). Don't know what an HDMI port replacement on an X10 costs.

Jeff
post #974 of 985 Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 AM

It looks like this thread is still at least on life support, so I'll try my hand here.

Greetings all, Craig here. Just received an x10 last night that I purchased off of Amazon. I have it hooked up and it looks, semi-kind of-sorta ok when it's working, but suffers from Severe Posterization Disorder, SPD for short, after running for more than a few minutes. The projector will do the rainbow dance prior to it's suffering from SPD. Powering the projector down and back up does fix the issue for a few more minutes; it is occasionally returning to normality after sitting in posteriziaed mode for an extended period of time. As a side note, it makes no difference if it is receiving an hdmi or dvi-serial feed; it still acts up.

As I said, I bought this off of Amazon after reading a number of excellent reviews. I doubt I'll be able to return the projector, so, before I crack this sucker open to try the cleaning and fan tricks that you guys posted, are there any settings on the projector that could help fix this horrid image?

Thank you for all of your help.
post #975 of 985 Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Craig,

As many have found, you can try turning Brilliant Color on, that’s about it. I bought an IN83 off eBay and that had the posterization problem. Turning BC improved it quite a bit, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it eliminated it.

What you should really do is return the projector to the seller. The projector is defective and in need of repair, and cleaning or adding fans is unfortunately not going to change that. You can take some screenshots to show the seller the problem. They should be willing to accept the return since they sold a defective unit without disclosing it. I’m not sure Amazon has a recourse available if the seller refuses, but trust me, you’ll never be happy with the projector unless it’s repaired.

In my case I bought the IN83 as a refurb from an Infocus authorized dealer, and was able to exchange it under the refurb warranty. If you bought it from DEX on Amazon they should absolutely allow you to return it for exchange or repair. They are the repair/exchange center for Infocus, and I sent my IN83 there when I had to return it for exchange.

Good luck, and hope things work out!

Jeff
post #976 of 985 Old 07-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Thank you for the quick reply, Jeff. I sent a request return/replace request to the seller on Amazon; it was, in fact, Data Exchange.

Brilliant Color, and other options, seem to have no affect on the image. Hopefully they will respond quickly and I can get a working projector up and running quickly.
post #977 of 985 Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Craig,

You won’t have a problem. They’ll take it back and send you a new one.

If you’re willing to provide them a credit card number, you may be able to do an advanced exchange and have them ship you the new one before they receive the defective one back. I don’t know where you live, but I live in NY and DEX is in California. It was a drag waiting for the ground transport both ways. I had to exchange multiple units unfortunately, and started doing advanced exchanges after the first one. I was working directly with Infocus however, but DEX may have the same policy.
post #978 of 985 Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Jeff,

Before I go through the hassle of the advanced exchange, is the X10, when working properly, worth it or have there been more problems than I need to bother with in regards to the projector?
post #979 of 985 Old 07-03-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

With the exception of the posterization problem (unfortunately a big exception), the platform has been rock solid. Although I don’t use it anymore, I still have my X10 and I never once had a single issue in the 3+ years I used it. No posterization and around 1700 hours on it.

The first IN83 I bought to replace the X10 had SERIOUS dust blobs. The next IN83 had the posterization. At that point there were no more IN83 refurbs left in inventory to exchange, so I got moved up to the SP8602 by Infocus. I received 2 of those that had the same issue – the lamp would not strike. The 3rd SP8602 (and 5th exchange overall) finally worked, and is my current projector. Even that one has some minor flakiness that luckily doesn’t impact anything (one of the HDMI ports is intermittently bad, I simply use the other one; the user defined presets don’t appear to work, I simply make my picture adjustments to the “predefined” presets).

Infocus customer service was great to work with, and at the end of the day I was happy, but it left me with serious concerns over quality control and refurb projectors in general. A reason exists why a projector became a refurb. There are so many permutations of connections, settings, sources, etc, that I don’t think every issue is always found and fixed before it is resold. Not to mention the difficulty of finding an intermittant problem. The amount of time needed to thoroughly test every refurb is just too much for most companies to undertake. It’s less expensive to deal with the occasional return.

I don’t mean for any of this to dissuade you though. The X10 is a very good projector and it’s worth going thru the hassle of the exchange. Although the SP8602 is clearly better in some areas, the X10 (mine at least), had a little more natural colors and I miss that!
post #980 of 985 Old 07-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Holy cow, their customer service is on the ball! They are going to do what you recommended; they're sending a new one out to me as well as a shipping label to send this one back.

I am glad to hear that the depth of color on the X10 is solid; I'm not expecting to be blown away for the price tag, but it's still an important issue for me.

Here's to hoping the new one works properly.
post #981 of 985 Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear they took care of you. Worst case, if the new one is bad you just do the exchange again. I hope you don't approach my record however!
post #982 of 985 Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 PM

Haha. Hopefully not!
As long as I have it for next weekend for a potential housewarming party, I'll be good.
post #983 of 985 Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 AM

For awhile my infocus X10 would get an effect where the color gradients would come out in bands (I think they call it posterization). Just recently it started flickering on the left hand side of the screen, and I fixed it, so I thought I would share what I did...

At first I tried just opening it up (as other have described above), and cleaning the black duct and metal screens with compressed air, vacuum, and/or alcohol wipes. I also added a fan to pull air away from the color wheel. When I got it all put back together, and on the ceiling. The problems had gotten much worse. Now it only took about 5 minutes for poterization to start. A few minutes after that the screen would start flickering, but now instead of just the left side, it was the whole screen. Also, a new problem occurred, the projector started switching colors. In other words, it would be all red for less than a second, and then all blue, and then all green. It was very psychedelic. When I got close to the projector, I could hear a ticking sound. My guess is this was probably the color wheel sticking, which was causing the crazy color effect.

I figured I had probably destroyed something in the projector beyond repair, but I thought I would give it one more attempt. This time I opened the projector back up, and I also took off the metal plate (which I hadn't done on the first attempt). I sprayed compressed air everywhere I could. I also made sure to spray around the color wheel, and the small fan near the color wheel. When spraying any fans I could see, I made sure to hold their blades, so they wouldn't spin.

I then put the projector back together, and turned it on. When turning it on, I realized something...:The fan on my X10 doesn't suck air in through metal vents on the side and push air out through the vents on the bottom. Instead, it pulls air in through the bottom vents and pushes air out through the side vent. I think this makes sense, as the lamp probably heats the air the most, and it is the last thing the air travels over. Thus, when I put a fan above the color wheel that sucks air out, this fan could pull air from the hot lamp to the color wheel, and actually make the problem at the color wheel worse.

Here is a pic to show the airflow:

Thus, I turned off the projector before it heat back up. I added the external computer fan back to the air holes below the color wheel, but this time I had the air push into the color wheel instead of push out. I also added some foam weather stripping around the fan to keep the air going into the vents below the color wheel (or above if you are on the ceiling). I had to use something as a spacer, because my ceiling mount was partially in the way, and I couldn't put the fan directly on the vents. Here is a picture of it mounted on the ceiling:

This fixed it. I put the projector back on the ceiling, and have had it running for 2 hours with no posterization or flickering. It seems either the reversal of the external fan I added, or the cleaning around the color wheel made the biggest difference. (I didn't test without the fan.)

This brings me to a question. Why are the metal filters on the side there? I thought originally they were to keep dust out, but as the air flow comes out of these screens, instead of going into them, they act instead as dust traps. They actually just keep dust in. (Maybe they dampen fan noise?) I'm thinking next time I need to get in there to clean, I'll just remove these screens entirely. Is this a bad idea?
post #984 of 985 Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 AM

Who use anamophic lens for this projector? Model?
post #985 of 985 Old 05-13-2014, 05:58 PM

I have had the x10 almost 4 years and other than a premature bulb failure (I replaced it with an OEM bulb and casing) my projector has been fine except for a burned out hdmi port. To heighten the black levels I use a Da-lite HCCV silver/gray screen (110" diag). I had a power surge in my house and the HDMI port was damaged so I started using the DVI port with a converter that came with the projector which makes it a second HDMI port. I had a discussion with a technician who told me that the port boards are very sensitive to heat. I only paid $1200 for the X10 new so it's been a bargain.

As my projector is approaching 4 years should I get a new bulb or a replacement projector?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page