Infocus X10/ IN80 Owners thread - Reviews, Settings, Screenshots and issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 994 Old 11-24-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have not seen any owners thread on the X10 yet. Hence, I thought of creating one. I have an IN80 which is a slightly modified X10 for the European Home Cinema market and available only in the EU or could be only for UK.
Since the X10 and IN80 have nearly all components similar I thought it would be a good idea to have the two models in one thread.
This being an US forum, I don't think there will be too many In80 owners but I am more interested in sharing and listening to X10 owners as the models are nearly same.

To start this thread, I would like to offer a bit of a background and my review of the X10.
I had the following PJs till date in order - Optoma H27, Infocus IN82, Optoma HD65 and now the IN80. After selling my HD65, I was looking for a budget 1080p PJ and came across the X10. After reading some positive reviews I wanted to demo the X10 and one UK forum member kindly allowed me to look at the X10 at his place. In UK, the X10 is less than $2000 and it was a huge step up for me into the 1080p segment. I did a review of the X10 based on my demo and published it on the UK forum. I will be posting the review here.

I decided on getting the X10 as I was impressed, but then realised that there is another model in the UK market from Infocus called IN80 which is a modified X10 for custom home cinema market in UK and it offers the following on top of the X10 spec
1. 100 more lumens - 1300 (X10 - 1200)
2. Slightly Higher contrast - 8000:1 (X10 - 7500:1)
3. 3 yr Doorstep warranty (X10 - 2 Yrs)
4. 1 yr lamp warranty (X10 - 6 months)
5. Software used is same as in IN81/82/83 (I think it is the same for X10 but CSE solutions who distribute Infocus and many other brands in UK says it is different and the one in IN80 is better. Spoke to Infocus but their answer was ambiguous)

I got the IN80 because of the better warranty mainly and due to the slightly higher spec and I got it at a price very close to the IN80 though at launch they were £400 apart.

X10/IN80 Professional reviews

X10

Trusted Review
Projector Reviews

IN80
Trusted Review

My X10 and IN80 review in next posts. In short, the X10 and IN80 are both wonderful projectors and real value for money. The two biggest strengths of the two PJs are
Sharpness - Awesome it uses the same lens elemnt as its bigger brother IN83 and makes 1080p viewing a visual treat.
Colours - Default colours are so natural and vibrant

Many are concerned on the X10s black level being a DC1 chip, I can tell you this that the X10 s contrast and black levels are better than many DC2 720p chipper and some 1080p LCDs otherwise I wouldn't have bought one in first place. One owner from UK forum places it above the IN78 which is DC3.

I am enjoying my IN80 and extremely pleased with it. I am sure all X10 and IN80 owners are enjoying their PJ as well.

So guys, request all X10 and IN80 owners to post in this thread to understand and help each other with these two brilliant PJs.

Some screenshots from my IN80 Please note the first 9 pictures have a different colour mode due to a setting on my camera I used for a flower show shoot and forgot to change that.

Loving it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 994 Old 11-24-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 70
As a satisfied IN76 owner I am interested in this projector and a little surprised that it hasn't generated more buzz. The main question I have is how effective is the iris? Spec wise it appears better than the IN76 in both contrast and light output. The IN76 has lumens to spare on my 110" screen so I am curious if the iris can be used to get black levels approaching some of the newer LCD's while maintaining a watchable picture.

post #3 of 994 Old 11-24-2008, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My friend has the IN76 and I have seen the IN83. The IN83 is the best of the lot but not within my budget.

The IN80 beats the IN76 easily and once you see it in 1080 with such a sharp lens you won't look back. The image processing has improved since the IN7 range and since the X10/IN80 shares most of the components with the IN83, the result is excellent.

The IRIS in IN80/1/2/3 is a manual one and it works well. The shots I have posted have IRIS at 9 to 36 on eco. Anything beyond 36 in my environment is too bright for most material. I have a 85 inch cheap blind as a screen. I do have light control but I have light coloured walls that affects the image.

If you have a good screen (I do not have) and complete light control the X10 or IN80 can produce wonderful blacks at low IRIS settings and you could use much lower IRIS due to brightness advantage from screen or room. With the X10, people who prefer less bright but punchy image can use a very low IRIS but high lamp to get a punchy image with great black levels.

The IRIS does allow to control the light output based on sources. Watching Shawnshank BR on IRIS 27 was a revelation whereas Spiderman looked great on 36.

The X10 has more lumens than the IN76 so you may use use that with the IRIS to get better blacks.

Some more shots using HD files - all at IRIS 37 (IIRC)

post #4 of 994 Old 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This looks to be a great Projector. For the price it seems hard to beat.

Nice screen shots too.
post #5 of 994 Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 PM

I just got my X10 on Friday and I'm extremely pleased with what I see. I actually haven't had a chance to really play with it until yesterday night but from what I saw it's great. I was able to play with it during the day in my pretty bright room and it did a great job. Watching a high def newscast this morning blew me away. It was sharp enough that I saw some dirt on the shoulder of the newscaster (time to take his suit jacket to the dry cleaners!).
post #6 of 994 Old 11-24-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post

I just got my X10 on Friday and I'm extremely pleased with what I see. I actually haven't had a chance to really play with it until yesterday night but from what I saw it's great. I was able to play with it during the day in my pretty bright room and it did a great job. Watching a high def newscast this morning blew me away. It was sharp enough that I saw some dirt on the shoulder of the newscaster (time to take his suit jacket to the dry cleaners!).

Nathan good to see another owner. The sharpness, and detail is amazing. I never thought 1080p would look this great when I had the HD65. I am happy that I made the right choice...
post #7 of 994 Old 11-24-2008, 01:41 PM

I actually thought about getting an Optoma or a BenQ, but the deal on the X10 came up and I decided to just go for that. I'm really glad I did.

One thing that surprises me is how often people reference the rainbow effect but how little they mention it when seeing a DLP at a theater. I actually was surprised to see the rainbow effect when I was at a theater thinking that was only for single chip dlp's but there it was.

I really like the DLP image and the Infocus X10 is perfect for that. If I could mention how much I paid for the projector you'd say I got the deal of the year.
post #8 of 994 Old 11-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Hello all,

I am thinking about stepping up to the X10 from the IN76 now that I have finishing building my HTPC and can watch Blu-Ray.

The IN76 needed very little calibration out of the box but I did have it calibrated by Jason of AVS fame.

My question is, since I will not have Jason at my house if I move to a new projector, what is the picture like out of the box? Also, will I be able to use the same ceiling mount as the IN76?

Thank you.

David
post #9 of 994 Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_climber View Post

Hello all,

I am thinking about stepping up to the X10 from the IN76 now that I have finishing building my HTPC and can watch Blu-Ray.

The IN76 needed very little calibration out of the box but I did have it calibrated by Jason of AVS fame.

My question is, since I will not have Jason at my house if I move to a new projector, what is the picture like out of the box? Also, will I be able to use the same ceiling mount as the IN76?

Truthfully, in my eyes it doesn't really look like it needs to be calibrated. I'll still calibrate it since I have the equipment, but if I didn't have the sensor I wouldn't do it. The color is pretty close.

I can't answer the mount question. Good luck and you'll really enjoy it!
post #10 of 994 Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, will I be able to use the same ceiling mount as the IN76?

The X10 and IN7x projectors use different mounting points, so unless you are using a universal mount you will need a new plate. Also, the lens on the X10 is on the other side of the unit than the IN76 (left vs right), so you'll need to accomodate that when centering on your screen.

Also, keep in mind the offset and throw ratio of the IN76 is much less than the X10:

IN76 - 16% offset, 1.52 - 1.92 TR (distance/screen width)
X10 - 36% offset, 1.85 - 2.22 TR

I would double check that you can make the X10 work for you. You may find the projector needs to be mounted too far from the screen to work in your setup, or that the image falls too low on your wall.

I have the IN76 as well, and was eyeballing the INxx series (incl. X10) as an upgrade. I would have preferred a lesser offset, and slightly shorter throw however. Oh well, fixed offset PJs can never make everyone happy.
post #11 of 994 Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

Also, keep in mind the offset and throw ratio of the IN76 is much less than the X10:

IN76 - 16% offset, 1.52 - 1.92 TR (distance/screen width)
X10 - 36% offset, 1.85 - 2.22 TR

Thank you for this information. Does this mean that if I have a sofet covering a ceiling beam that the IN76 is mounted to throw under, that I would need to lower the projector even more?
post #12 of 994 Old 11-25-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Truthfully, in my eyes it doesn't really look like it needs to be calibrated. I'll still calibrate it since I have the equipment, but if I didn't have the sensor I wouldn't do it. The color is pretty close.

I second that. This is my 4th PJ and this also the only time I have not touched any settings other than IRIS and colour temp. This is so good OOB.

As Jeff mentioned do measure up your room. This uses a very long throw. Use the calculator on Infocus site.
post #13 of 994 Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Thank you for this information. Does this mean that if I have a sofet covering a ceiling beam that the IN76 is mounted to throw under, that I would need to lower the projector even more?

No you would need to raise it and possibly move it back. Multiply the offset value by the screen height to get the distance from the center of the lens to the top of the screen. Then add in the distance from the centerline of the lens to the ceiling to get the total drop for the screen.

For instance with my 110" screen my offset is around 8.6" (54" high multiplied by the offset of .16) with the IN76. With the X10 this jumps to 19.4" due to it's much higher offset (why companies do this is a mystery). And you would still need to add in the lens to ceiling measurement. You also need to consider that the throw ratio has changed. My IN76 is 15' from the screen. It can be as far as 15.5' and as close to 12.2' to fill a 110" screen. With the X10 I would be right at the very edge of being able to fill my screen.

Now all is not lost. If you are within the throw range, but like me have a normal ceiling (who the hell has vaulted basements Infocus?) you can do what I plan on and tilt the projector up and tilt the screen forward. This avoids keystoning and will let you keep your screen off of the floor.

post #14 of 994 Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 AM

I just calibrated my projector to grayscale last night. The difference between the out of box color and calibrated color is so small that it wasn't really necessary at all. In fact all the color adjustments I made weren't more than 2 or 3 notches above or below 50. That's pretty darn impressive.

I can't get over the sharpness of the picture. I was watching the Blu-ray version of Tropic Thunder last night and I could probably count the individual stubble on Ben Stiller's face. Shadow detail was incredible and bright scenes felt like daytime without being overblown. There was one scene near the end when Ben Stiller and Robert Downey, Jr. are in a hut talking. I expected one side of Ben Stiller's face to be overexposed, or at least a small part of it, because of the light coming through the window, but it was perfectly exposed.

I have my projector set for Video and not Film for the gamma. Film brings out a lot more contrast and is actually much more pleasing, but I like shadow detail. I also threw in Full Metal Jacket (Blu-ray version) and the scenes where they're in the dark was pretty amazing. Overall I think this projector is a fantastic buy!
post #15 of 994 Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, As promised, I am posting my own X10 review I did in October. A forum member from UK was very kind to invite me at his place to see the X10.

Original Post in AVForums Uk

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dlp-l...ml#post8001116

The review is from a 1 hr 30 mins session with the X10 and I couldn't play around a lot for more indepth review...

All X10 members here are free to comment if I have missed anything or my observations were wrong. Please keep in mind that I saw it for 1 hr 30 mins only.
------------------------------

Intro: First I would like to thank Lee who was very kind to invite for a demo at his place. Lee is a great chap and we spent a good hour and a half at his place. He was also kind enough to pick me up from the station and drop me on my way back.

Now, moving on the review, I am going to talk about different features followed by pros and cons of the PJ in my view and lastly; is it worth the price and the hype? As mentioned earlier, I went with a clear mind and all content here are based on my own experience with PJs so far some of which I owned - H27, IN72 and HD65 and some which I have seen elsewhere - IN76, IN83, AE900. I went with a tape measure as well. Please bear in mind I am not a professional reviewer and hence my observations are not supported by facts, figures and instruments. This review is very personal and most comparisons are based against the HD65, my last PJ and to some extent the IN83 i demoed earlier

Environment:
Room: A nice room around 14-15 feet long. 3 walls painted in pink and the wall on which Lee is projecting right now is pained white. The wall has a course texture and perhaps not the right kind of surface for projection even though it is white. So in our observations, we took a note of that. Lee is going to fix a good screen soon which should give much better results.
One thing that was not so good was the adjacent walls and the ceiling were reflecting lot of light back to the image reducing the contrast and black depth.
The PJ was 12' 10 " from the screen and the image was 6' 10 inches wide.

Sources: Lee has got a nice setup with a PS3(US), Xbox360, A HTPC all connected through an AV receiver and to the PJ via HDMI. We used the following during the demo
BR Discs - Spiderman 3, Incredible Hulk
DVD - Indiana Jones (I have used this test all PJs I used till date and that's why I took it.
Others - Golden Compass - MKV file, and direct TV from the HTPC

The moment I entered the room, I heard some noise and realised it was not the PJ (it was off) but the PS3 . This is the first time (though I am not from Stone Age) I saw a PS3 running and have heard of ppl talking about its noise. Well it is noisy if I have to use it as a BR player. Glad I chose the Sony S350.:grin:

Firing the PJ
Lee started the PJ. Lee had the PJ on Iris setting of 9 and in low power mode with brilliant colour on. We set all to default to start our test to try and go as close Out of box. I will talk about the PJ noise separately.

Size and Build
This is a huge PJ . It was a top of a table so I could see it all around. Looks like an inverted black bathroom sink :grin:. Why on earth infocus created such a monster I do not know. A little smaller size would have been great. Looks are not bad and quite spaceship type. The body is plastic. No lens cover but lens is inside the main frame so less chance of damage.

Colours and Skin tone
Overall colour is excellent:smashin:. Typical infocus. I was hugely impressed at out of box even with limitations on the current environment (see earlier) . Much better than my Optoma HD65 (which I think is very good though being an Optoma). very natural and believable. People's faces looked really good. It is a great buy for ppl who just want it to set it up and run However, we felt it could be improved against a screen and with some calibration (if required)
We switched the colour temp to 7500k and I felt it was better. But it could be me liking that way.

We then tested one of the issues mentioned by Phil Hinton regarding - the weak green. The source we used for this was Indiana Jones (last crusade) DVD chapter 3 (where boy Indy escaped the lion and was on top of the train with lots of trees around) and Chapter 16 or 17 (Where Indy and his dad escaped the Germans and on their way to Berlin. The scenes here had lot of trees and blue sky). The reason I used this disc is mentioned earlier as my test disc for all PJs I bought till date. This may not be the best disc but for me it is a reference.

The gamma was set to film and BC off, to me the greens were better than the HD65 or H27 which looks highly saturated and the sky appears saturated as well. However I thought with the X10 it could be bit more saturated. Then we tried different gamma. The PC gamma adds strength to the green but at the expense of shadow detail and high contrast. We checked BC on and it was better. We didn't have the time to play with the advanced colour settings but I think you can calibrate to your own preference. But both Lee and I felt the greens were looking much natural. We changed the Iris from 9 to 45 and looked vibrant but we turned the IRIS down to 9 again.

Resolution:
There is a lot of debate about whether you can see the difference between 720p and 1080p. Well, this was my 2nd test with 1080p (In83 being the first one). I used my memory of HD65.

Firstly, yes the resolution factor is there and I could notice it. The difference is not huge like between 480p and 720p but it is there and I think you will appreciate it the more content you see on a 1080p PJ.. We were sitting 12 feet from a 6' 10" wide image and I found the image very sharp and detailed against similar sources I used on HD65 sitting 9 feet from a 90 inch diagonal image. Also I noticed a very nice integrity in the image. Stable solid and distinct. For an analogy, I have seen this difference with the two laptops I own. The same image looks crispier on my Tosh USXGA laptop than that on my HP WXGA. The crispiness is great on the X10 image. Moreover, I could go so close to the screen without any screendoor. Wow. At one point we tried to focus the image and we had to really go close to inches to see the pixels. And no grids even on subtitles from a very close sitting distance. This could be used as an advantage I am going to talk later while discussing one issue - the throw of the PJ.

Brightness:
Though rated at 1200 lumens, X10 with full IRIS open on eco mode to me was way brighter than my HD65 at 1600 lumens. I think nobody will ever need the High power mode. We turned it on. There was some difference but it was hurting our eyes anyway. The IRIS can be used to reduce or increase it to your own preference.

Contrast, Black level and IRIS:
The contrast and black level on this unit is variable based on the IRIS setting. So I would cover all these in one section.
The IRIS is a manual one and hence has some advantages and disadvantages

Advantages: It is the best way to bring down the brightness. The PJ is very bright with the IRIS open full. You won't see changes that are apparent with average dynamic ones used in budget PJs at this price range so less distraction I guess. On closing down the IRIS from 100, the PJ started showing a fantastic image. Lee stopped at 9. I felt the image was great at 27 or so. The image looks very filmic and like one you see in very good cinema screens. I can see why the reviewers insisted in using the Iris. Great stuff.

Disadvantages: Some scenes do require more brightness and you may find your setting too low at some time to change manually. Each change in Iris produces a very strong sound like a Click and is quite loud. Not a big issue as you won't use it during a movie. At lower IRIS it does take away some shadow detail. Lee can see rainbows with the X10 and he can see it when the IRIS is above 18 and BC is off. His personal setting is 9 with BC on. To me, I think a value between 18 and 50 offers a great contrast and black depth and you can still have excellent shadow detail. Since the X10 allows good calibration you can achieve both good shadow detail and black depth with calibration even at Iris setting of 9.

Contrast and Blacks
Contrast is very good in this unit. Again, better than HD65. I understand why someone may like the image of Optoma projectors since there is a initial punch to the image but at the cost of natural colours and shadow detail. I will pick shadow detail and colours against a punchy image. This is kind of a trade-off I guess for the X10. The X10s bigger brother IN83 with a DC4 chip can give the punch and keep colour accuracy and shadow detail at the same time. But at £2500 more. Please note that at £900 it easily beats the HD65 in contrast and black depth and the IRIS allows greater control which the HD65 don't have. The HD65 cannot produce such a filmic image as the X10.:smashin:

With the X10 scenes that have equal mix of dark and white it looks really contrasty. A scene from Spiderman - where KD comes down the stairs in the theatre with small star like lights at the background looks very impressive and has a wonderful pop. And again the fighting scene in the Hulk inside the bottling plant looks incredible with wonderful contrast , black depth and shadow detail (even at Iris 9). Very impressed.

Now the weak part. Scenes that are mostly dark in nature don't look as contrasty and black depth is reduced. Appears slightly gray and murky. This is where lie the difference between DC4 and DC1 and also an area where PJs like JVC HD1 reign. But considering only 5 % of most movies having such scenes I do not consider this as a drawback given the price of the X10. The HD65 being DC2 also suffers the same and I have seen the IN76 and the same goes for it as well. Owners need to understand that you have to pay a price to get performance in this area. Again considering the price I would put the X10 ahead of all the PJs I have mentioned earlier except the IN83. I do not know if DC3 chip based 720p can produce better results. Some members have reported that X10 looks better than In78 in this area. We need a side by side test to judge.

Shadow Detail
Wonderful just awesome. Again beats the HD65 and In76. This is a great strength of this PJ. Keep in mind that if you use a very low IRIS (like 9) you will have to calibrate to get the best the shadow detail. But at anything beyond 27 to 100 with all default settings it is fantastic.
Overall I was very impressed in this department.

Sharpness:
This is a really sharp PJ. But at the same time the sharpness is not stronger or exaggerated than it should be in standard settings. This adds to the 3D depth of the image and the cleanliness of the image. Very impressed. The HD65 was average but to me X10 is a revelation. Wow... Even DVDs appeared so sharp I can't believe. It is good that Infocus has not cut the costs in this area and have used the same lens as found in the IN83. I guess so as the sharpness looked similar to the IN83 I saw but IN83 adds more depth due to higher contrast and better black levels.

Image Processing
Ace. This uses the same processor found in the most expensive IN83 and it really shines. HD sources look clean and smooth. Forgot to check 24fps and other frequencies but Lee may add his view on motion and judder.
DVD - I was so impressed with the DVD scaling that I can buy this just for this. It is way better than HD65. I felt like using my In72 but with better picture and depth. I never expected that DVD could look so good.
720p Mkv file : The same file that requires ffdshow with the HD65 was looking better on the X10. Impressed.

Image Noise
Well this was reported by a member and both of us tried to look for it but we couldn't really see any problem. The image is clear and crisp. What we noticed is noise from the BR disc. Spiderman has lot of image grain and it shows that if you sit closer. But that may be due to certain discs. The normal DLP dot crawl is there. Reducing the brightness can reduce the amount of grain you can see. But to me it was more like film noise than noise from the PJ. Lee mentioned that if we can't see it then it doesn't exist to our eyes but some people could be prone to noise. Not sure. Overall I couldn't really see the noise issue. I mentioned in my IN83 review about the noise but that was because it was too bright. So if anyone is seeing noises then suggest lowering the IRIS and seeing the difference.

PJ Noise:
In eco mode, the noise is not distracting to me as it is like a low freq hmmmm kind of sound and less distracting than the PS3. We were sitting just beside the PJ, less than a foot. I have always used DLPs so I am not the best judge for noise as I am kind of used to it. HD65 is noisier as the sound is high pitched. I think ppl who are planning to move from LCD or low noise PJs may find the noise disturbing. High mode is noisier but again not like distracting high pitch kind. New LCDs and SXRd based Pjs are virtually silent so the choice will be very personal. I would definitely like to see DLPs silent someday.

Pros
  • Excellent colour and skin tones
  • Really sharp image.
  • Very Bright
  • Excellent clean and crispy image
  • Resolution does matter at least from where I am coming from
  • Excellent shadow detail - a great strength at this price point
  • Superior processing - Even DVDs look great. Way better than HD65
  • Good Contrast (not excellent like the IN83) better than HD65 and others I mentioned earlier

Cons
  • Size - Why is it so big? With LEDs coming next year this may look ancient when seen side by side.
  • Throw - This is a huge disappointment for me. I measured my setup again yesterday after the demo and with its huge size and long throw I won't be able to get more than 82-84 inch diagonal. Well as mentioned earlier, the resolution advantage will allow me to sit closer and still get the same angle of viewing and feel of size. But still kind of a deal breaker for many with smaller room size. This to me is the weakest feature of the X10
  • Complete dark scenes look less constrasty and that is due to the DC1 chip used.
  • It looses the sync when changing content on the same input sometimes. Like when using the PS3, as you change menu items the PJ starts looking for the input. Distracting. Sometimes it could be due to the change in the source with various contents in the disc encoded in diff output format.
  • The PJ is budget not the lamp.
  • Rainbows - Though I don't see them, it appears this PJ is rainbow prone.

Conclusion

Honestly, I liked the X10. To me, the colours, sharpness, brightness, resolution advantage, wonderful shadow detail , good blacks (using IRIS) and very good contrast are its key strengths and that's enough for me to justify it at £900. Add to that the control you can have on the image with various settings and some of the benefits it shares with its big brother the IN83. It is definitely better than the HD65 in all departments and by a very good margin. The IN83 is better but it is £2500 dearer.

Black levels - for me it is better than most PJs I have seen including the HD65 but not as good as the IN83. And there is room for improvement using the IRIS and other settings. Won't be able to comment against other PJs I have not seen. But I guess this is the holy grail of PJ and comes at a price.

Things I did not like are the throw, size and if it could have some more depth in very dark scenes and some more contrast. At £900 I think it is a great PJ unless there is something better around that range. The IN80 apparently got a slightly better picture. I am going to demo that soon to find the difference. The Sony HW10 is getting some good coverage and ppl who can afford another £500-600 can have a look.

Is it better than a 720p costing the same? I don't know. From few owners who used both IN78 and X10 it appears they prefer the X10 and IN78 is one of the best DC3 DLP under a grand. I am not sure how the X10 will hold against the Planar 7060. Reviews state IN78 has an edge over Planar. A high end 720p could be very close to the X10s price or could be more but at this point I won't be able to comment any further without seeing a few. To me, X10 is a fantastic choice for a 1080p under a grand. I have not seen the Optoma HD800x to comment.

That's the end of my review. If you have questions please ask.
Thanks to Lee again. Lee can add something I missed.

Cheers

Ani
post #16 of 994 Old 11-26-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the review. Good job. Just a note, if you thought the PS3 was noisy, turn on a Xbox 360 and play a game with its dvd player running. The PS3 is downright quiet compared to it. You're right that the unit is really, really large. I personally have no idea why it's so big.
post #17 of 994 Old 11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey Anir

So it appears after getting rid of your HD65, u still haven't settled down with a replacement yet, right?

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #18 of 994 Old 11-26-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Hey Anir

So it appears after getting rid of your HD65, u still haven't settled down with a replacement yet, right?

No, I have the perfect replacement - The IN80. The X10 review is one month old. I got the IN80 3 weeks back. I am soooo happy with the IN80.
post #19 of 994 Old 11-27-2008, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Last night I played the Epson Demo file on my IN80 and took some shots. I have posted shots from this video with my HD65 earlier in the HD65 thread (here - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...o#post14306596 )

I tried to capture the same frames this time. Here are a few set of pics from both HD65 and the IN80. Enjoy.

Few things
1. While watching, I noticed quite a lot of improvement in contrast, black depth, sharpness and detail on the IN80 compared to that of the HD65 and 1080 pixels really makes some difference. Though the camera couldn't capture all, you can still make out the difference in the pics. The IN80 image appears far superior.
2. I used the same equipment and environment for playing and shooting but this time with a full 1080p pixel matched source (nvidia card from my laptop) to a 1080p PJ.
3. There is a slight pink tinge in some images and it is the camera not the PJ.
4. Real images appears sharper and more 3D.
5. IN80 not calibrated and no ffdshow used (HD65 ones using ffdshow).
6. I turned brilliant colour on to see how if it makes the image more punchy. They do look dazzling but I prefer BC off.

Having owned both HD65 and IN80 and comparing similar materials, I can assume that 1080p PJs do look much better than 720p ones - at least from what I have seen and it is is not just resolution difference but also better spec, processing etc. Awesome....

Optoma HD65

Infocus IN80 - Video Gamma BC On

Film Gamma BC On

Film Gamma BC Off

Optoma HD65

Infocus IN80

Optoma HD65

Infocus In80

Optoma HD65

Infocus IN80

Infocus In80

post #20 of 994 Old 11-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Those images are just jaw dropping. What camera are you using and under what conditions(room environment, etc.) were the photos taken?
post #21 of 994 Old 11-30-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubsr1 View Post

Those images are just jaw dropping. What camera are you using and under what conditions(room environment, etc.) were the photos taken?

I am using a Nikon DSLR D40X in manual mode. Room is pitch black. However I have light colored walls that kills some contrast.

post #22 of 994 Old 12-03-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Film : Tears of the Sun. Awesome movie and awesome BR transfer.

A very good film to test the black level of any PJ.

post #23 of 994 Old 12-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

wow...These are some of the best screen shots I have ever seen. Taking good screen shots is an art all it's own.

Great Job!
post #24 of 994 Old 12-09-2008, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Watched POC 1 yesterday...some more shots.

post #25 of 994 Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Photobucket doesn't seem to be particulary happy with your bandwidth as it's requesting us to "upgrade to pro today." I normally use Webshots (formerly All you can upload).
post #26 of 994 Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Photobucket doesn't seem to be particulary happy with your bandwidth as it's requesting us to "upgrade to pro today." I normally use Webshots (formerly All you can upload).

I post my pics on photobucket and noticed that though I have uploaded only 80 mb of picture, the total bandwidth used when people viewed the pictures have exceeded the monthly limit of 25 GB . and photoucket have stopped showing the images.

The pictures won't be visible before 20th Dec. Sorry but I have all pictures in photobucket only. I was not aware of viewing bandwidth limits.
post #27 of 994 Old 12-17-2008, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Where are you guys? the owners I guess everyone is so happy with their PJ that they have nothing to complain . I have nothing to complain as well but just trying to cheer up with screenshots.

Recently I watched a movie named Saawariya - It is an Indian movie. This movie has the best blacks I have ever seen on any Blu ray so far. It is a first grade demo material. The blacks, hues and colors are magnificient.
Do get this title on BR and watch it on your X10/IN80. you will be amazed. Blue ray in its pristine form.

Some shots. The shots do not do justice and you will blv me when you see this in real. I used manual focus but later realised the focus was not fully sharp. The real blu ray image is pin sharp. The exposure i used was only 1.6 sec and hence some shadow detail is lost in some pictures.

post #28 of 994 Old 12-18-2008, 05:32 PM

Hi,
great Screenshots and yes, since i am so busy watching movies without having to complain about my X10, i seldom feel the need to post.
Since i own both the Saawariya Blu-Ray and the X10 i can only agree with you - both are exellent.
You should try to see The Fall as Blu-Ray although it is not as great a disk as Sony's Saawariya Disk, it is nevertheless a very good Blu-Ray and pure eyecandy. Happens to be a great movie too.
Thomas
post #29 of 994 Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was looking at the x10 and am concerned about screen size and throw distance. I used the calculators but wanted to know if you still fall into the same color does that mean you can go that size? If I can't go beyond 141/2 feet will I be able to go 120" screen?
post #30 of 994 Old 01-03-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtbig View Post

I was looking at the x10 and am concerned about screen size and throw distance. I used the calculators but wanted to know if you still fall into the same color does that mean you can go that size? If I can't go beyond 141/2 feet will I be able to go 120" screen?

For a 120" screen (diag) the projector lens needs to be a minimum of 16.2' from the screen.

Throw and offset are the "Achilles heel" of all the recent offerings from InFocus. I have the 7210 on a 135" screen and the new InFocus projectors just will not work in my theater. Not sure why IF went this direction (offset & throw) but I imagine it had something to do with money...

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Infocus