The Official Bulb Warranty Thread? Good, Bad & the Fugly? - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 253 Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

When I purchased my projector (Epson HC Cinema 400) from PP in June 2007, I also purchased a 3 year warrantech/repairmaster warranty.

I now have about 1790 hours on my bulb, and each time I turn the projector on, I get a message on my projector telling me to replace the bulb. The bulb is still functioning, but does seem to be dimmer than it once was. Can I get a replacement bulb, or does the bulb have to actually blow before I can contact the company? Also, if the bulb reaches the expected bulb life (1700 ish hours) will/should the company still replace it, or is it only a safety measure against bulbs that blow early?

AVS searches have pulled up a bunch of threads, but I can't find the specific information I'm looking for. I would look up the documentation from my little pamphlet, but I do not have access to it currently (college student who won't be going back home for a few weeks), and as I recall, it wasn't too informational.

I appreciate anyone who can offer their past experience with warrentech/repairmaster, or anyone who has some insight into the warranty business. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 253 Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd give PP a call - they should be able to give you all the details. That said, I'm almost 100% sure I've read posts from people that got new lamps after reaching the max. number of hours. Unless Warrantech changed their policy you should be covered.
post #243 of 253 Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the reply! That sounds like a great suggestion, as they know their products extremely well (although it looks like they stopped carrying this lamp replacement). After reading more, it sounds like it is acceptable for a lamp to be replaced after reaching its max hours, although in these cases, the users were using the Mack warranty.

Thanks again
post #244 of 253 Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Any of the three reasons you mentioned above qualifies for replacement under warranty.

Have you ever get a replacement bulb for any of these reasons? This is frustrating, everywhere I ask I get a different answer to my questions about Mack warranties. I emailed TapeWorks Texas (a Mack dealer who advertises in AVS Classified section) and was told they would only replace a dead bulb.

I also am trying to find out if I can get a warranty for the factory refurbished Sharp 12k mk2 I just bought and got back 3 different answers from different sources.

I emailed Mack directly a week ago and still haven't heard back. If this is any indication of how they do business I probably won't purchase another warranty from them again.
post #245 of 253 Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 AM

Hi, I want to ask you guys that i have come across a site that have following return policy;

All our lamps are covered under warranty for 90 days from date of invoice.
We will e-mail you, immediate after your purchase, the respective Invoice and RMA (merchandise authorization number) number unless otherwise specified.

http://www.projectorlampsworld.com/return_policy.html

should i go with it.

Any suggestion
post #246 of 253 Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
The 90 day guarantee is applied starting on the day you purchase your projector lamp.

The above line from their site is why I would not to do business with them.

If a company states you get a 90 day warranty on a product it sells, the warranty period should begin on the date you actually receive the item and not on the date you ordered it from them.

If it takes 15 days until you actually receive the lamp then in reality you only have a 75 day warranty.
post #247 of 253 Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

^ That 90 day from date of purchase policy is standard for most dealers and manufacturers. Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Optoma, BenQ, etc...unless they specify a longer period than 90 days...

That said, most dealers and manufacturers will work with you if you're only slightly past 90 days from the invoice date.
post #248 of 253 Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr231 View Post

Have you ever get a replacement bulb for any of these reasons? This is frustrating, everywhere I ask I get a different answer to my questions about Mack warranties. I emailed TapeWorks Texas (a Mack dealer who advertises in AVS Classified section) and was told they would only replace a dead bulb.

I also am trying to find out if I can get a warranty for the factory refurbished Sharp 12k mk2 I just bought and got back 3 different answers from different sources.

I emailed Mack directly a week ago and still haven't heard back. If this is any indication of how they do business I probably won't purchase another warranty from them again.

Sorry for responding late. I had my bulb (for a Sharp Z3000) replaced under warranty from Mack. Bulb was NOT dead but was too dim. I had over 2200 hours when I requested mine. I will be buying another warranty from Mack for my new Panasonic AE4000 in about 70-80 days just before the manufacturer warranty expires.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #249 of 253 Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have a Warrantech bulb warranty (3 years, up to 2 bulbs) that was purchased with my Mitsubishi HC1500 a bit over 2 years ago. I was in need of a replacement bulb, so I called them, and they sent one right away - it arrived 2-3 days after I called.
They did stipulate that I need to return the old bulb within ~7 business days, or they will consider the warranty fulfilled (i.e. no second bulb possible). The thing is this: my old bulb, which I previously thought to be dead, actually appears to have some life in it. I am now wondering if I may be better off keeping my current bulb until it truly dies, and THEN installing the new one (and accepting that my warranty is done), or swap now and send the old one. Biggest risk I can see is if the new bulb turns out to be a dud -- not sure how frequently that happens (it does appear to be an OEM part).
post #250 of 253 Old 03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I would send the old lamp back. I'm sure they have some sort of warranty to protect against defects, and if the new one dies prematurely you'll still have one replacement left from them.
post #251 of 253 Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 AM

I'm in the process of resolving a claim with Mack that has been open since... early November 2009.

I will post the details once this issue is resolved but let this be a warning...
post #252 of 253 Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevuda View Post

Hello all,

When I purchased my projector (Epson HC Cinema 400) from PP in June 2007, I also purchased a 3 year warrantech/repairmaster warranty.

I now have about 1790 hours on my bulb, and each time I turn the projector on, I get a message on my projector telling me to replace the bulb. The bulb is still functioning, but does seem to be dimmer than it once was. Can I get a replacement bulb, or does the bulb have to actually blow before I can contact the company? Also, if the bulb reaches the expected bulb life (1700 ish hours) will/should the company still replace it, or is it only a safety measure against bulbs that blow early?

AVS searches have pulled up a bunch of threads, but I can't find the specific information I'm looking for. I would look up the documentation from my little pamphlet, but I do not have access to it currently (college student who won't be going back home for a few weeks), and as I recall, it wasn't too informational.

I appreciate anyone who can offer their past experience with warrentech/repairmaster, or anyone who has some insight into the warranty business. Thanks in advance.

did u buy a lamp warranty?
if not then u are out of luck
post #253 of 253 Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I am planning to get a replacement bulb for my Infocus IN72.
It is now at some 3200 hrs (touch wood) so it may die any time soon.

I was wondering if the Mack warranty would apply to replacement bulbs.

The FAQ at the texas tapeworks web site says if my projector still has the manufacturer's warranty I could buy just the bulb warranty. But it does not say if it applies to replacement bulbs. Also my IN72 is some 3+ yrs old so it no longer has the manufacturer's warranty.

I was wondering if it is worth spending $400 on the replacement bulb and some $117 on the warranty or get a new Epson 8100 ($1499)

BTW. my throw distance is limited to 8ft. So I can only get some 80" diagonal image with the Epson 8100 or Panny AE4000. At such a small image it may not be worth going for a 1080p projector.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page