The Official Bulb Warranty Thread? Good, Bad & the Fugly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 253 Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Couldn't find such a thread here so decided to create one.....

I ordered the Macks 3 yr bulb warranty when I purchased my VP4001 PJ last year......

My bulb went out approx 950 hours and I called Macks. Had no trouble obtaining a 'control #' and customer service was very pleasing and 'no-headache' approach.

I was told to order the replacement bulb on my own and Mack's would reinburse me for the cost. I ordered the bulb from a dealer for $400 and per Mack's instructions, sent the broken bulb back.

Now the bad part.....I was told my check would be mailed out to me in approx 30 days max. It's 2 months now and my lastest update is Mack's has printed out my check BUT waiting for a signature before it's going to be mailed out to me. I'm supposed to wait out till early next week (I'm told this for the 5th time now) and if I don't receive the check, then I'm supposed to call back (as if I haven't called them enough yet).

Anybody else here want to share their bulb warranty experiences?

Thanks

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 253 Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Liked: 13
Bought bulb warranties for my first two projectors and never used them. I did not buy one for my third projector. The first projector I sold after six months. The second and third projector I am currently using. Do not like the sound of your Mack experience since that is who I used.
post #3 of 253 Old 11-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

Now the bad part.....I was told my check would be mailed out to me in approx 30 days max. It's 2 months now and my lastest update is Mack's has printed out my check BUT waiting for a signature before it's going to be mailed out to me. I'm supposed to wait out till early next week (I'm told this for the 5th time now) and if I don't receive the check, then I'm supposed to call back (as if I haven't called them enough yet).

You should ask them who is signing the check? Are they on vacation? Most large companies have check writing machines.

==Cocophone==
post #4 of 253 Old 11-30-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay...Fri came and went and still no check from Macks yet. I'm going to call them again tomorrow......

Bumping this thread as I know there are some potential Mack's customers here so this will give them first hand customer experiance.

Also, does anyone know if there's anything I can do legally to get my bulb money back (per warranty)? It seems right now, Mack's is doing the easy trick of "wait for another 2 weeks and then call back"

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
My small HT setup:

post #5 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Okay...Fri came and went and still no check from Macks yet. I'm going to call them again tomorrow......

Bumping this thread as I know there are some potential Mack's customers here so this will give them first hand customer experiance.

Also, does anyone know if there's anything I can do legally to get my bulb money back (per warranty)? It seems right now, Mack's is doing the easy trick of "wait for another 2 weeks and then call back"

Did you purchase your Mack warranty through Brian here on AVS? If so I would talk to him.
post #6 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Did you purchase your Mack warranty through Brian here on AVS? If so I would talk to him.

Thanks muchly....never thought of that.

My small HT setup:

post #7 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yup, he is a great guy and will help you.
He is busy so you'll have to try to get him a few times I'm betting, but he will take good care of you.
I bought mine through him too, with help from some fellow members advice.
Please keep the thread updated when you can.
post #8 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

is there a difference from whom you by a mack warranty from. Would not all 3 year mack bulb warranties be the same? I have seen them for around 100 bucks right now. I plan on buying one...who is Brian?
post #9 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Brian is a member here that works for Texas Tapeworks, who sell the Warranty.
Some companies have a better reputation for these things than others and they are a good one.
His username is escaping me right now though.
post #10 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Brian is a member here that works for Texas Tapeworks, who sell the Warranty.
Some companies have a better reputation for these things than others and they are a good one.
His username is escaping me right now though.

Thanks Matt
post #11 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 PM

There were a few people selling the Mack warranties at a slightly lower price than Brian, but I went with Brian because I thought I would get better service from a fellow AVSer.
post #12 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"uhphikap" is Brian's AVS username

My small HT setup:

post #13 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Spoke to Mack's again today and was told the same 'waiting' story...I got pissed this time and asked the rep to let me speak to a supervisor....I was put on hold for what seemed like an eternity and then I spoke to "Laura" who was the shift supervisor.

She informed me that my check would be mailed out by this Friday and I should have it by next mid week.

True or not....I'll find out next week.

My small HT setup:

post #14 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Is this the norm for Mack Warranties? This would not be good if your bulb went. You could be down for 3 weeks or more waiting for a check if for whatever reason you did not have the funds right at that moment. The whole idea about buying one of these is knowing if something happens the longest you might be down is a week or so. Make me nervous about buying one.

Does anyone know of any other bulb type warranty besides Mack?
post #15 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterdog View Post

Is this the norm for Mack Warranties? This would not be good if your bulb went. You could be down for 3 weeks or more waiting for a check if for whatever reason you did not have the funds right at that moment. The whole idea about buying one of these is knowing if something happens the longest you might be down is a week or so. Make me nervous about buying one.

Does anyone know of any other bulb type warranty besides Mack?

There are others, but I doubt that they are any better.
post #16 of 253 Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the bulb warranties are good for people that can spare out a replacement bulb out of their pocket when the immediate need arises but pray to God that u get compensated in the end.

Here's something I've learnt from my experience. These bulb warranties are not really worth the time and the hassle when the initial cost is out of your own pocket anyway.

When I do end up replacing my VP4001, I'll try to get a PJ that comes with a spare bulb (think Epson) or just shell out another $300 or so and get a replacement bulb together with the PJ.

If anybody has any positive experiances with another bulb warranty, please post here to we all can decide whether so called bulb warranties are worth it or not.

My small HT setup:

post #17 of 253 Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I purchased a Warrantech 3 yr lamp warranty through Projector People when I purchased my Mitsubishi 4900 in January. My lamp went out two weeks ago yesterday. I first called Repairmaster/Warrantech two weeks ago today and submitted a claim. I'm going to hold off for now detailing my full experience. I should have a new lamp here tomorrow although I had to order it myself and will now get to play the "reimbursement, check's in the mail" game.

More later... Cheers!
post #18 of 253 Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Couldn't find such a thread here so decided to create one.....

I ordered the Macks 3 yr bulb warranty when I purchased my VP4001 PJ last year......

My bulb went out approx 950 hours and I called Macks. Had no trouble obtaining a 'control #' and customer service was very pleasing and 'no-headache' approach.

I was told to order the replacement bulb on my own and Mack's would reinburse me for the cost. I ordered the bulb from a dealer for $400 and per Mack's instructions, sent the broken bulb back.

Anybody else here want to share their bulb warranty experiences?

Thanks

Fragster, sorry for the trouble you have had! I just got off the phone with Mack. Your check #53679 for $426.xx is in the mail already and you should have it any day now.

Also, I inquired as to why it took so long. Apparently they have decided that they want to do things a little differently and instead of having customers order the bulbs, just have Mack order the bulbs to ship to customers. The way it was explained to me is that when a customer submits a claim for a bulb it takes 20 days to get through processing and then another 30-ish days to get through accounts payable.

This new way of having Mack order the replacement bulbs and ship them directly to customers will prevent this from happening in the future because it will keep the customer from having any out of pocket money. They have also told me that all lamps are being ordered within 24 hrs receipt of the claim so there will be no delay on their end for that.

I hope this is acceptable to you and I am sorry for the problems you had. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
tapeworksbrian@sbcglobal.net
Our Warranty ad here on AVSFORUM: LINK TO AD ON AVS
post #19 of 253 Old 12-03-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks muchly, Brian. Highly appreciated you looking into this and standing behind your company for customer satisfaction. I wished I had PM'ed u earlier

Thanks again.

My small HT setup:

post #20 of 253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

That's good news. Now I can order a mack warranty and feel good that they will take care of any bulb issues should they arise.
post #21 of 253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Brian,
What are they expecting their turnaround time from receiving the claim to the day of shipping out to be?
Thanks for helping!
post #22 of 253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Brian,
What are they expecting their turnaround time from receiving the claim to the day of shipping out to be?
Thanks for helping!

They intend to order all bulbs within 24 hrs of receiving the claim. As far as shipping date, we can assume they will ship within 1-2 days if stock is available at the vendor they are using.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
post #23 of 253 Old 12-03-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds good.
Thanks again Brian!
post #24 of 253 Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 PM

I have a question about this, actually -

I was out of town last week and apparently talking to my wife, our vp4001 bulb blew while she was using it. I have a mack warranty. I talked to her over the phone and directed her to take the bulb out to see if it was visibly damaged, etc and she said it was in pieces. She emptied it into the trash. Really, I don't know what she did, but now that I am here, I am looking at an empty bulb socket - she took it all out.

Do I have to find it in the trash to send back to Mack? I probably can find some pieces of the bulb somewhere in the trash bag... Or does this new policy alleviate having to send the blown bulb? I haven't called mack yet.
post #25 of 253 Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavapj View Post

I purchased a Warrantech 3 yr lamp warranty through Projector People when I purchased my Mitsubishi 4900 in January. My lamp went out two weeks ago yesterday. I first called Repairmaster/Warrantech two weeks ago today and submitted a claim. I'm going to hold off for now detailing my full experience. I should have a new lamp here tomorrow although I had to order it myself and will now get to play the "reimbursement, check's in the mail" game.

More later... Cheers!

I went through that same thing with Warrentech. Submitted claim and waited for a couple weeks only to be told that their vendor did not have my lamp in stock and that I should just order on my own and submit the receipt for reimbursement. I did and within 10-days I had their check. No pain, no hassle.

I know others here have not had good things to say about Warrentech but I have used their bulb policy now with two different projectors and have never had a problem. Just thought I'd add in my own experience for a point of reference.
post #26 of 253 Old 12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope that doesn't happen here too.
Say the vendor they use is out for weeks....hopefully they then allow us to order on our own and get reimbursed.
post #27 of 253 Old 12-05-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreenturtle View Post

I have a question about this, actually -

I was out of town last week and apparently talking to my wife, our vp4001 bulb blew while she was using it. I have a mack warranty. I talked to her over the phone and directed her to take the bulb out to see if it was visibly damaged, etc and she said it was in pieces. She emptied it into the trash. Really, I don't know what she did, but now that I am here, I am looking at an empty bulb socket - she took it all out.

Do I have to find it in the trash to send back to Mack? I probably can find some pieces of the bulb somewhere in the trash bag... Or does this new policy alleviate having to send the blown bulb? I haven't called mack yet.

Sometimes Mack does ask that you send in the spent bulb, other times they do not. I would recommend that you file the claim and see what they ask for. If they ask for the spent bulb, tell them what happened. If you still have available any of the part(s) removed from the TV, I would hold on to that until after you speak with Mack.

Also, I just found out this morning that Mack is doing away with the requirement for you to purchase your warranty within 30 days of the purchase of the unit being warranted. They are going to a policy where the warranty must be purchased when you have no less than 90 days remaining on the manufacturer's warranty. This applies to all Mack Warranties except for the BULB warranty and their DIAMOND warranties which still have to be purchased within 30 days. With that said, I would still recommend that you try to make your warranty purchase within 30 days if at all possible because the longer after the purchase you wait, the more likely you are to forget to purchase the warranty. This new policy will allow people who don't find out about the Mack Warranty for a while after their purchase to still get in on the great coverage Mack provides. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
post #28 of 253 Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM

Regarding procedure on bulb warranty claim, I was recently instructed to send them my "defective" bulb and copy of my paid receipt for a replacement bulb to obtain reimbursement. Sounds like use of the term "defective" implies that bulbs in service that must be replaced due to reaching hours of use max (projector shuts down due to risk of explosion according to projector manufacturer) are not covered:

"Dear Customer,

Your control number is ____. This control number is your
authorization to purchase a new bulb under your three year bulb
replacement warranty. When you have made your purchase, you will need
to send the defective bulb along with a copy of your paid invoice to: (MACK)

Your control number must be added to the paid receipt and
correspondence. Once we have received the defective bulb and paid
invoice, you will be reimbursed for the amount of the purchase.In order
to be reimbursed, we must receive the defective bulb first."
post #29 of 253 Old 12-09-2008, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Brian

Thanks muchly for your help again. I received the reinbursement check from Macks (finally after 3 months!) last night.

Now I can safely hold on to my VP4001 for another year and hopefully my dream of $1500 (no rebates) 1080 PJs come true.

Appreciate u stepping in and taking care of my issue.

My small HT setup:

post #30 of 253 Old 12-15-2008, 08:07 AM

Hello,

I do apologize for the delay. Everybody that purchases our warranty and makes a claim is always taken care of. the reason why we tell you to purchase the bulb and we reimburse is so that you are able to use your TV or projector right away. Some times it will take longer then other times to receive a check as it has to go thru accounts payable and they only send out checks on a certain day of every month. While it could take up to 90 days at the end of the day everyone will receive a check for full reimbursement. it is a similar procedure to when you receive a rebate check from the manufacturer

Thank you
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page