4805 dying need replacement advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-05-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read these forums on and off for quite a long time (can't find my old login info) and based on the advice here bought an X1 which was awesome. I then upgraded to a 4805 and have been extremely happy. Unfortunately, it has the light tube failure, but luckily for me I have the Circuit city assurance plan and I am guessing I'll get a CC gift card for the amount of purchase about $1100. So the selection at CC is limited. My theater is very small but light controlled (I used an ND filter on the 4805), My choices are:
Mits HC5500
Optima HD65
Mits HC1600
Sony VPL-AW10

I am leaning towards the HC5500 even though it'll cost me an addtional $600 or so. My first question is how does the HC550 LCD compare in term of black levels, contrast and color to the 4805 and second more generally should I consider the HD65 which would cost me nothing. I know nothing about the Sony and am concerned with the 2X color wheel of the HC1600 although the rainbow effect wasn't a big problem with the X1 and non existant on the 4805. Thanks so much for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Liked: 11
Sorry, no advice on relacement but I'll be watching this thread as my 4805 will need replacing soon.
Is the light tube the only issue? I've fixed a couple of these and it's pretty easy to do if you know how to weild a screwdriver.
If your not interested in repairing, maybe sell it?
post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 PM

Liked: 10
nx, I haven't really looked at new offerings for a while, but I did see somewhere that there is a $100 rebate and -I think- free bulb on the Mits HC1600 until the end of January. That might make it more tempting.

XBL GT: Big Bucket
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page