how hard is it putting a projector in an apartment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't want to ruin the walls or anything. Is it possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Many projectors can be ran off a coffee table but then it is easier for people to block the light beam, bump the projector, mess up teh focus, etc. When I was in my apartment I ceiling mounted mine. I just had 6 screw holes to patch when I moved out. I ran the av cable down the wall and along the baseboard of the floor to my receiver. It isn't the cleanest install but short of cutting into the drywall and running things through the walls it is about as good as you could do. I had no problems with my security deposit.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungwader View Post

Many projectors can be ran off a coffee table but then it is easier for people to block the light beam, bump the projector, mess up teh focus, etc. When I was in my apartment I ceiling mounted mine. I just had 6 screw holes to patch when I moved out. I ran the av cable down the wall and along the baseboard of the floor to my receiver. It isn't the cleanest install but short of cutting into the drywall and running things through the walls it is about as good as you could do. I had no problems with my security deposit.

Holes in the wall for the projector screen? Did you just fill the holes in the wall and cealing with spackle?
post #4 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Screen was WilsonArt Laminate - Fashion Gray. I used a clip on each corner, so 4 screw holes on that wall and I put double sided sticky tape velcro in the center of the screen to control bowing. I used spackle with the holes, sanded them down, and finished off the ceiling with a can of spray texture.

Edit: If you ceiling mount, be safe and use a couple of drywall anchors.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungwader View Post

Screen was WilsonArt Laminate - Fashion Gray. I used a clip on each corner, so 4 screw holes on that wall and I put double sided sticky tape velcro in the center of the screen to control bowing. I used spackle with the holes, sanded them down, and finished off the ceiling with a can of spray texture.

Edit: If you ceiling mount, be safe and use a couple of drywall anchors.

What do you mean drywall anchors?
post #6 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 PM

They are little plastic things you insert the screws into that split up to anchor to the drywall. My suggestion: Go to Home Depot or Lowes etc and they will set you up!
post #7 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 PM

I'm in a duplex (rental) and opted to use one of those tall black wire stands from like Target to set the projector on the top shelf (very hard to get in the way of the image). I put all the hardware on the same shelf so didn't have to worry about running cables, other than speaker wire. Finally, I just project onto the wall and get a very nice image. It isn't perfect, but you gotta work with what you got.

- JV
post #8 of 24 Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Soft View Post

Put the PJ (AX200u for example) on a shelf and paint the wall to use as a screen. No holes, no fuss, and easy paint job when it's time to leave.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I tacked up some blackout curtain material http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...DID=prd31268on the wall for screen, its what many home screen guys use for a screen, as it looks the same far as pq goes as regular screen. Its only 5 bucks a yard, and can go as big as 110. Its what I also use if I take my pj over to other peoples houses, if I can't project onto a wall, which works very well. If you can't pin it directly against the wall you can hang it from some fishing line and tack it up to the ceiling, it pretty ghetto, but will not ruin any walls. Then just pj anywhere you want from floor or table to shelf. To have many placement options get a pj that has lens shift.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-31-2009, 02:29 PM

I'm in a 18' x 14' single room.

I have the projector (HC720) mounted on top of a nice Ikea glass & metal stand ( Laxvik ) at about 11' feet along the long wall. The lens shift gets the image where I need it. I limit the image to about 84' diagonal.

I view the image from about 15- 18'. I originally had the projector all the way back at 18' which would give me a huge image, but I ended up mounting a roller blind from Ikea as a screen. That and I am dealing with plenty of ambient, so closer is brighter.

I am shopping for a small 22" - 32" monitor to watch TV during the brightest parts of the day, and so I'm not in a cave.

HD source makes a huge difference.
post #11 of 24 Old 02-01-2009, 04:30 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

A lot easier than putting a 50" CRT TV in your apartment! If you have light colored walls, you can just project on the wall and get a decent image. If you buy an LCD with a lot of lens shift then placement is not a problem. You could just set it on a coffee table and project on the wall. That is what I mean by saying easier than a crt TV. Better no repair route would be to get a pull up screen and place the projector on a coffee table. Best no repair route would be to place a high stand right behind your seating area and project onto a pull up screen. You might find it cheaper to just install the projector like normal and repair the holes from the installation.
post #12 of 24 Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, you sure can install a projector and screen in an apartment nicely. My recommendation is to not "just" paint (or use) the wall for a screen. That is a lot of wall, and you might want framed pictures up there. I think a pull-down screen is best for an apartment or any multi-purpose room.

A pull down screen with retro-reflective material, such as a High Power, can be mounted to your wall with few enough screws that you can fill the holes later without problem or objection. Just find the wood studs inside your wall to hold up your screen mount. I'm not confident that drywall anchors will be strong enough for the force of pulling down your screen every day, so do find where your wall studs are, even if you have to make a few extra holes along the way. (a stud finder usually works, though.) Mounting a pull-down screen is not that much more than hanging picture frames around your place. With a retro-reflective screen, your video images won't show the ripples that inevitably develop in pull-down screens.

You obviously cannot run wires through your walls or ceiling, so placing your projector on a shelf behind the viewers, along with your cable box, DVD player, PS3, etc. is your cleanest solution, as others have written above. That will require a projector with lens shift, which most lcd projectors have but few of the inexpensive dlp projectors have. Then, just run your speaker wires along your baseboard to your speaker locations. Sometimes you can jam the wires along the edge of wall-to-wall carpeting to hide them, and sometimes you might need to staple the wires against the baseboard. You can buy plastic tube like things to help hide the speaker wires if you have to run them straight up your wall to wall-mounted speakers, or you can just staple the wires to the wall, and fill the tiny holes that makes later. Try to use speaker wires that match your wall color. Other than that, hiding wires is overrated, in my experience. Wires disappear after two days - you'll not notice them much.

With equipment behind the viewers, you might also want to add an rf relay for your remotes, so you won't have to point them back over your shoulder to change channels. I got mine for about $50 at a local electronics store.

Lastly, I recommend you not ask the owner of the apartment first. Just fill your own holes before you leave. They will probably have to repaint anyway, so matching the paint won't be nearly as important as leaving them a smooth surface to paint on.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
i put a projector up in 2 apartments, manual pull down screen with the heavy duty picture frame hangers you get at any ace or home depot, and then table mount projector, all the holes i made on the walls just covered up with putty, and when you rent an apartment you can hang stuff on walls so you prob dont have to do that anyways...my landlord was a total $#%^ B#$% W%^$ anyways
post #14 of 24 Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

I ran my optoma EP719 in my apartment for a year... 11ft throw gave me a good sized image (80-90 inches if i remember). The walls were eggshell white, with the light coming off the optoma, it looked fine just the way it was... But i did get permission from the landlord to paint some superwhite perlcent paint on the wall. They just cared that they could cover it with one coat (it's white paint... uh, sure).

I used "L" shelf brackets and a shelf and mounted the PJ upside down to accomidate the offset lens. Just hung on the wall... only annoying thing of doing it this way, the other side of the wall was a young couple's bedroom... it shook a little every saturday night. :P
post #15 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 AM

Liked: 12
I've run projectors in 3 different apartments. The most economical way - like everybody here said - was to put a wall shelf up for the projector. I got some from IKEA for $22.

When putting up brackets, make sure at least one is on a stud. If you can't manage with the other one being in the stud, use a hollow-wall anchor - but one that's solid (i.e. http://www.toggler.com/products_hwh_technical.html).

Then get some right-angle HDMI if you're using that and right-angle power supply if you can and put that projector as close to the wall as possible to reduce the load on the shelf (plus, it looks neater that way).

On the other side, I'd suggest getting a projector screen with a large drop (24") so that you can hang it on the ceiling. If you have popcorn ceilings, get a stud-finder and a piece of cardboard (and a dust mask) and see if you can joists to screw 2 hooks into. I was able to do that in two of my apartments, due to luck - the joists ran across so once I found it I was able to sink in two hooks to match with the loops on the top of my screen.

I wouldn't ask management about specifics, just ask about the policy regarding wall decorations and leave it at that. My management has always said that any holes less than a dime in size was OK. I did the courtesy of filling it in with white spackle before I left.
post #16 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 AM

I've set up a projector in two of my apartments now. I put the projector on a shelf and all the other equipment on a table in the corner on the same side of the room. At my new apartment I just project on to the wall since it's a nice flat white color. At my old place, I hung a polywall from Home Depot on the wall (it was light enough to be held up with tape alone if you don't want to put any holes in the wall for a screen).
post #17 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobenet View Post

only annoying thing of doing it this way, the other side of the wall was a young couple's bedroom... it shook a little every saturday night. :P

Must have had a pretty powerful sub.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #18 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Most of the apts I've lived in had concrete walls (with drywall on top), not hollow ones, so it depends on your place.

It's easier just to buy a bookshelf.
post #19 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 PM

I have my projector sitting on the top of a rack against the back wall and for a screen use a do-able board. Its held up with 4 mirror brackets, so Ill only have 4 small holes to patch on the wall (if they make me). I dont think you can do better for about $25
post #20 of 24 Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM

I have one. I use an Infocus X10 (replaced my IN72). I have it sitting atop a storage container I got at Target. Not the prettiest of things, but effective. The projection screen is a portable DaLite 80" screen. The screen pulls from the bottom on up. When I don't need either I can just move them away. My living room is 17' by 14'.

Truthfully, the only problem I've had is when people walk in front of the projector. It's not bad otherwise.
post #21 of 24 Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM

I used Wall shelf mount.Its single bolt mount ,I mounted it 2 feet above my bed headboard and PJ upside down.It was very good
You can buy it from amozon
http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-ECSB-Component-Shelf-Accessories/dp/B000EGI7V4/ref=pd_cp_e_0
jfreezee likes this.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM

The idea of having lens shift may make it much easier to mount. I wanted to be able to use my 50" plasma and my projector. I have a fairly deep rack/stand my plasma sits on and in front of the TV on the stand I have enough space to put a Da-lite Deluxe InstaTheater (4X3) screen. This setup very well for me and because of the screen's adjustable height, I can match the top of screen to the correct perspective level for the movie. You may need to use some sort of adjustable height stand for a projector without lens shift.
post #23 of 24 Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I ran a few different short-throw projectors in apartments off of coffee tables. One had lens shift, the other I made due with digital keystone correction. I did mount a pull-down screen, though, which was 3 screw holes to patch on the way out the door.

post #24 of 24 Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
table and tripod or pull up screen.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page