Projector not detecting receiver output? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-30-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello! just wanted to seek some help. I recently bought a Sanyo Z2 pj, with DVI and component inputs. Before the pj, I used a PS3, feeding audio & video into my Marantz SR 4002 via HDMI, then the receiver outputs video via HDMI again into a 50” LG Plasma tv.

I have sold the tv already and got the pj, my question is, how come when I’m using the pj, with all cables and settings the same before, except I replaced the cable from receiver to the pj (now HDMI to DVI cable, with the TV before it was HDMI to HDMI), the result is, I don’t get video.

What's also weird is, if I output audio from the PS3 via HDMI, there's sound…but here’s the catch -> once I plug the DVI cable into the pj, even the sound disappears (which is weird because the DVI has no relation to the sound anyway)

I’m initially thinking there's an incompatibility with the receiver with the pj, because the DVI input of the PJ looks like this (29 pin i think)

But the hdmi to dvi cable from the receiver looks like this (24 pin I think)

And I consulted my receiver’s manual, it says "the Marantz SR4002 only support DVI up to 24 pin but not 29 pin."

Now, my temporary workaround is to use the HDMI to DVI cable from the PS3 straight to the PJ instead (bypassing the receiver) , and output audio from the PS3 to the receiver using an optical toslink cable. (which I don’t really prefer because when playing blu-ray, toslink doesn’t support HD Audio, when I choose that soundtrack on the disc, it becomes stereo I’m now limited to DTS and DD5.1 even on blu-ray

Hope I posted this in the correct thread...Help please! TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-31-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
HDMI has a two way protocol that "talks" to your device and then decides what you need. The DVI connection allows the HDCP/HDMI video signal to work but the PS3 HDMI port is not getting any confirmation about audio capability from the PJ so the PS3 HDMI port turns off the audio. Even if your PJ had an HDMI port, I'm not sure you would get audio. If you can change your receiver setting for the HDMI from just pass-thru you might be able to get the audio back. I need to look at the manual to see if it will do that.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-31-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The Marantz SR 4002 doesn't even support decoding of HD Audio so DTS and DD is all you can use anyway. Keep the TOSLink connection.

• Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital ,
• DTS ES (Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1, Neo: 6)
• Dolby Headphone 2
• Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Movie, Music, Game)
• Circle Surround II (Movie, Music, Mono)
• HDCD decording
post #4 of 10 Old 01-31-2009, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, yes the 4002 indeed does not decode the HD audio, but I just find the DTS MA or DD TrueHD on the bluray discs to be far better than the DTS or DD 5.1 tracks on the same disc, which is why I would prefer to keep the HDMI connections.

About the handshake, I read in another forum that for some reason, if the PJ doesn't detect the handshake input at the onset using the HDMI connections, it won't display a picture. For some reason (which is really weird, read on), I tried this just for the heck of it:

1) turn on pj until the startup countdown is over and wait for about 20 more seconds before turning on ps3 and receiver
2) then I turned on ps3, about after 5 seconds, turned on receiver.

Ho-hum, we got picture! No audio though as I hadn't setup the ps3 to output audio via hdmi, it was still set to pass it through the toslink. I was happy because this time I got picture..then so I proceeded to replicate the same thing just to rule out the chance, but when I powercycled everything down to the removing the electrical plugs from the wall outlets, then booted back up in the same procedureno picture!

Tried it again for a couple of times, still no joy. Don't know why it was ok the 1st time. Weird right? Any guesses?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntot View Post

Thanks for the reply, yes the 4002 indeed does not decode the HD audio, but I just find the DTS MA or DD TrueHD on the bluray discs to be far better than the DTS or DD 5.1 tracks on the same disc, which is why I would prefer to keep the HDMI connections.

Doesn't matter if DTS MA or DD TrueHD is on the BD disk, your receiver is not receiving that through hdmi or toslink. It can't decode it and the hdmi link tells the bd player it can't so your player does not send it. You haven't heard an HD Audio track yet through your receiver.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-31-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

wow, i was just listening to DTS/DD 5.1 still then, all this time? If that wasn't HD Audio yet, then I can't wait to hear that, I was very happy with what I was hearing already.

quick question though about the "startup" process i tried earlier..any idea why it worked at the onset but I couldn't make it go again?
post #7 of 10 Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

some of the earlier HDCP implementations quite frankly sucked. My pioneer 1016 won't pass the HDCP handshake of the PS3 either. No matter what i do, the planets have to align correctly for it to work (like yours i get 1 out of 10 sequences to work). I just went to an external HDMI 4x1 system with tosllink on it (the psyclone best buy sells) and just bypass the HDMI on the receiver entirely. It works better and i get more inputs!
post #8 of 10 Old 02-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

How about looking at this in reverse?

1) Powerup receiver and point it to the PS3 as input;
2) powerup PS3 and ensure it's outputting HDMI;
3) powerup PJ.

I may have a similar problem where if I powerup my PJ first along with receiver, then PS2 (via component), the vid doesn't display correctly (just shows a narrow band across the top of screen). This especially happens after I had previously been running a Comcast HD signal through receiver to PJ. But if I first power up the receiver, then PS2, then PJ, it displays correctly. Something about the PJ autodetection routine...

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
post #9 of 10 Old 02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
When I play a sacd on my ps3 my projector/AVR (yam 1800) will not show a menu and sound at the same time. Not sure why, I use a good hdmi, and dvd's and blu ray's play perfect.
If I turn off the Epson ub projector the sound comes on. Turn on the projector sound goes off.
Very odd!

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

@browne - hmm, i haven't tried that, but will do after i get home. keeping my fingers crossed!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page