I opened it up. Thanks

post #95 of 153 Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

It would be right next to the color wheel. A very small piece, part of a board. Did you open it to do that or just blew in from the lamp opening?

yes, I did open it. But only part of the color wheel is visible without taking the board off.
post #96 of 153 Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:

It would be right next to the color wheel. A very small piece, part of a board. Did you open it to do that or just blew in from the lamp opening?

I opened it up but the color wheel was only visible through the opening. I would have to remove the board to see the complete color wheel. Probably should do that and blow it again since it seems to be a bust situation, huh??
post #97 of 153 Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Not necessarily, you might be able to reach the wheel and rotate it to check it, just be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieskar View Post

I opened it up but the color wheel was only visible through the opening. I would have to remove the board to see the complete color wheel. Probably should do that and blow it again since it seems to be a bust situation, huh??

post #98 of 153 Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Not necessarily, you might be able to reach the wheel and rotate it to check it, just be careful.

I don't think I can rotate it with out taking the board lose. I can only see it through the opening. I wouldn't know what I could use to rotate it. I would have to put pressure on it and that might make it shatter.
post #99 of 153 Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It wouldn't take much pressure to move it. But that's your call.
post #100 of 153 Old 01-26-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:

It wouldn't take much pressure to move it. But that's your call.

Well, actually the color wheel is enclosed. Had to pull the board (rather tricky). Wheel ok and blew a little more dust out, put it back together, still same result. Oh well, gave it 150%. Thanks again for your help.

How come computers, cameras, cell phones, even flat screen tvs get better and cheaper every year but projectors move at a snails pace and the prices are either the same or more expensive??? I really don't understand that. Do you know?
post #101 of 153 Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:

How come computers, cameras, cell phones, even flat screen tvs get better and cheaper every year but projectors move at a snails pace and the prices are either the same or more expensive??? I really don't understand that. Do you know?

It's because Projectors are just now getting cheap enough for average joe. It use to be you had to spend 2000 and up not too long ago for an OK projector.

Now you can get a 500.00 projector that will run circles around that 2K machine and is lighter and has a lot more mounting options.

The problem is most people just want to dump a box (tv) in front of them and call it a day. They don't want to have to figure out throw distance, mess around with a screen or paint the wall, projector mounting and bulb changing. A lot of people don't have the room for a projector. 80% of people are just happy to have a 32" flat screen LCD, they don't want to know what a Component or DVI cable is... Most projectors don't have sound and they don't want to mess with 5.1 speaker setup. Let alone buying an amp with speakers.

So........ when you only got 15-20% of the market it's not going to move very fast.
post #102 of 153 Old 01-28-2010, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Well, actually the color wheel is enclosed. Had to pull the board (rather tricky). Wheel ok and blew a little more dust out, put it back together, still same result. Oh well, gave it 150%. Thanks again for your help.

Actually PJs have come WAY DOWN in price. Many people still believe $5K to $10k is the price of admission into this club. Some folks here paid that price years ago.

The other items you listed however may get cheaper faster because people buy MILLIONS of them every year. Home Theater PJs are just in the thousands
post #103 of 153 Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by areaglew
Reviving this thread for a similar issue...

I think my color wheel is going out on my HD70. The symptoms:
1) The projector turns on fine and the image is sharp and vivid.
2) After about 20 minutes, the projector image flashes with different colors. The image is still visible, but the colors are wrong.
3) A few seconds later, the projector gives a brief whine... then it shuts down and the warning indicator shines a solid orange.
4) The projector is unresponsive to the remote. I have to unplug and replug, then it will start up again, although it takes about 5 minutes of start-up attempts before it will display an image. Then back to step 1.

Any idea if this is a color wheel problem or a lamp issue? Or maybe something else? The lamp has about 1200 hours on it. I bought the projector used about a year ago, and a new lamp or color wheel would cost more than the projector did... so I'm not sure if I would try to fix it unless I was sure of what the problem is.

Any takers?

Also, is there an online guide to taking the HD70 apart?
Any info would be appreciated...
--
bill buck
----------------
Areaglew has perfectly described the behavior of my Optoma HD70, as of last night.

Having read through this thread, it sounds like my first course of action should be to take apart and clean my projector; correct? If the behavior continues, then I need to focus on replacing the color wheel?

I'd appreciate any help; owned this for 26 months and 900 hours, and I'd like to continue being happy with it for years.
post #104 of 153 Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The lamp would NOT cause that problem. Most likely it is a dusty color wheel SENSOR, not the color wheel itself. Open the projector, no other dis-assembly is required, and use canned air to blow away any dust in the region. Use care not to direct it towards the imaging chamber as you can drive dust into it and onto the internal optics. If you did that, then you would HAVE to go deeper to clean it.
post #105 of 153 Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 PM

Thank you for your guidance, Sheridan1952--yours' sounds like the best plan going. I'm going to try to dig out some pictures of the color wheel sensor so I can give it special attention; pulled the projector down from the ceiling this evening.

Unrelated, except I'm thinking about this HD70 more than usual: is there any way my 2 year-old machine, sporting firmware 6.0.6, would be improved in any meaningful way by new firmware? If so, do I have any options for installing it myself?
post #106 of 153 Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Optoma doesn't talk about their firmware in their website. They don't make it available like some of the other manufacturers and what benefit, if any, you would gain from upgrading, that information is not published that I can find.
post #107 of 153 Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Has any of you attempted to swap out the fans with a more quiet version? Is the fans easily accessible once the chassis is opened up? If not, I'd like to add some foam around the OEM fans to make it decoupled from the chassis.
post #108 of 153 Old 03-27-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The fans have a feedback loop so the projector can tell when they're not functioning and shut down.
post #109 of 153 Old 03-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

so other quiet fans made for PCs don't have this feedback loop? I didn't want to remove the fan completely, I just wanted it replaced with ones more quiet.
post #110 of 153 Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just saying that you need to know this when looking for fans. If you install one that doesn't have the loop, the projector will see it as a fault and shut down.
post #111 of 153 Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeMaster View Post

Has any of you attempted to swap out the fans with a more quiet version? Is the fans easily accessible once the chassis is opened up? If not, I'd like to add some foam around the OEM fans to make it decoupled from the chassis.

Quite fans = less air flow = heat trouble, especially for DLPs.

DLPs run hot and they need to be cooled. If anything the fan needs to be stronger and that means more noise.
post #112 of 153 Old 04-24-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporker View Post

Originally Posted by areaglew
Reviving this thread for a similar issue...

I think my color wheel is going out on my HD70. The symptoms:
2) After about 20 minutes, the projector image flashes with different colors. The image is still visible, but the colors are wrong.
3) A few seconds later, the projector gives a brief whine... then it shuts down and the warning indicator shines a solid orange.
4) The projector is unresponsive to the remote. I have to unplug and replug, then it will start up again, although it takes about 5 minutes of start-up attempts before it will display an image. Then back to step 1.

Any idea if this is a color wheel problem or a lamp issue? Or maybe something else? The lamp has about 1200 hours on it. I bought the projector used about a year ago, and a new lamp or color wheel would cost more than the projector did... so I'm not sure if I would try to fix it unless I was sure of what the problem is.

Any takers?

Also, is there an online guide to taking the HD70 apart?
Any info would be appreciated...
--
bill buck
----------------
Areaglew has perfectly described the behavior of my Optoma HD70, as of last night.

Having read through this thread, it sounds like my first course of action should be to take apart and clean my projector; correct? If the behavior continues, then I need to focus on replacing the color wheel?

I'd appreciate any help; owned this for 26 months and 900 hours, and I'd like to continue being happy with it for years.

Hi Sporker, I have the same issue, did you get this fixed?

Who will lead them? I cannot. I am a prophet. I bring chaos and unrest to the foolish and wicked.
I am no fit Prince for the Damned, and I am no fit shepherd for the souls of man. - Anatole the Mad
post #113 of 153 Old 04-24-2010, 10:03 AM

So I did some digging and as luck would have it the repair report Optoma sent back with the projector was here at home rather than stuck at work. They reported that they "cleaned photo Sensor Board" as the resolution for my issue which matches these symptoms exactly:

The symptoms:
I then did some digging and found this on the 'net: http://www.fixya.com/support/t636722...jector_problem

The part that helped me immediately was:

I HAVE A HD72 DOING THE SAME THING,

I PUT IT IN HIGH ALTITUDE MODE(WHICH MAKES THE FAN RUN FASTER) AND IT STOPED THE PROBLEM. I READ THAT DUST COLLECTS ON THE FAN AND IT DOESN'T CIRCULATE THE AIR, HEATING UP SOME OF THE CIRCUITS MAKING THEM NOT WORK CORRECTLY. I AM GOING TO CLEAN THE FAN AND I THINK IT WILL FIX THE PROBLEM Doing that step has had my projector running for an hour now where before it wouldn't even get past 15 or 20 minutes. The rest of that thread goes on to talk about giving the inside a good cleaning and that's my next step but for now, this seems to be working better than it was before. Hope this helps someone.

Who will lead them? I cannot. I am a prophet. I bring chaos and unrest to the foolish and wicked.
I am no fit Prince for the Damned, and I am no fit shepherd for the souls of man. - Anatole the Mad
post #114 of 153 Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM

I am searching in vain to find the colorwheel for an XB31, I dont care about the chit chat of what is better and why Brand XX sucks. So please dont reply with that chatter.

I am a computer repair shop and someone brought me an HP XB31 Digi Projector, the color wheel is shattered. I need to replace it, and I can't find a supplier or price anywhere. Can anyone help?

Clayton
Empire PC Shop

Havre, MT
post #115 of 153 Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I run an A/V service business, I've been looking for some time and all my suppliers tell me that HP is one of those that does not make parts for their projectors available. Dell is another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpirePCShop View Post

I am searching in vain to find the colorwheel for an XB31, I dont care about the chit chat of what is better and why Brand XX sucks. So please dont reply with that chatter.

I am a computer repair shop and someone brought me an HP XB31 Digi Projector, the color wheel is shattered. I need to replace it, and I can't find a supplier or price anywhere. Can anyone help?

Clayton
Empire PC Shop

Havre, MT

post #116 of 153 Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks!

Well will tell the customer it is not worth the effort. HP wants $500 to fix it.
post #117 of 153 Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. For that kind of money, they're better off replacing the projector.
post #118 of 153 Old 07-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread but my color wheel shattered in my HD70. I got a replacement from optoma parts center for $59 and its back up and running again. The install is really easy- if anyone has a similar problem and wants details let me know.
post #119 of 153 Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowso View Post

Sorry to bump an old thread but my color wheel shattered in my HD70. I got a replacement from optoma parts center for $59 and its back up and running again. The install is really easy- if anyone has a similar problem and wants details let me know.

Hey, bcrowso, my color wheel self-destructed a few days ago. I would be very interested in your source for the part. My son and I already took apart the PJ to remove the old wheel, so we should be fine installing the new one (assuming we don't drop it).

thanks,
Jedi Mike
post #120 of 153 Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Mike View Post

Hey, bcrowso, my color wheel self-destructed a few days ago. I would be very interested in your source for the part. My son and I already took apart the PJ to remove the old wheel, so we should be fine installing the new one (assuming we don't drop it).

thanks,
Jedi Mike

Call this number: 408-383-3700
Just ask for a replacement color wheel for an optoma hd70. Should be $59 plus $12 shipping via fedex. They can also do expedited shipping etc. Good luck!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd70 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page