Can someone explain the m1-da input on my infocus projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-01-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, this is kind of driving me crazy right now... I did search but I am still confused.

I am upgrading my home theater step by step, and right now I am changing out the preamp and adding a few goodies. I am going to keep my projector for now even though it is outdated. I have an infocus projector (no idea of the model, doesn't say anywhere on the case but I know it is like 7 years old). Here is where the problem arises... There is a dvi cable being ran to a dvd player that I have, so I assumed the projector had a dvi input... I opened the back of the projector a few hours ago and was surprised to find an m1-da input. There is some sort of adapter from that input connected to the dvi cable which is being ran to my dvd player. I am really confused about this input, and to add to the confusion, it is currently not working (all the settings are correct, but its just not getting a signal from my dvd player) but it did work previously.

So what is this input capable of? Can it handle an hd signal? I ask because i was planning on running an adapter from the hdmi output on the preamp and utilize the existing dvi wire.. but now that I realized that it is not a dvi input on the projector, i am not sure if thats a good idea. I know the projector isn't capable of 1080p, but thats fine for the moment.. I just want to make sure that I can run 1080i from my new preamp into this projector via the m1-da input. I want to utilize the existing dvi cable since I don't want to have new wires ran through my theater....

I am sorry if this sounds confusing, but as you can tell, I am pretty confused right now as I have no clue what this m1-da input is capable of...

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM

I think the DA part means it can handle both Digital and Analog signals. Just go to Monoprice and buy a cheap adapter or cable for M1 connectors...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ord=M1&x=0&y=0

-Miguel Lescano
post #3 of 12 Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

So this input can handle an hd signal from my preamp (i guess that was my real question)?

when I was searching I came upon a bunch of random stuff like hd signals wont work because of hdcp compliance and that its really a computer input?

i
post #4 of 12 Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

my 1st pj was the infocus x-1 and it had that connector. it was before i was online (5 years ago)(and knew about monoprice, etc) and i ordered the cable to hook up my dvd player from infocus in oregon; a good bit of $ now that i look back.

before my 30 day return window from j&r, in nyc where i bought it, expired, i sent it back.
couldnt get rid of that pj fast enuff.

10' from 84" screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

anyone else can help me out? I am ordering my pre/pro tomorrow morning and this is really worrying me!
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The two projectors that I've owned both have been Infocus units with the M1-DA input. I'm running a 15ft DVD-DVI cable with a DVI-M1-DA adapter at the projector end. My thinkinh when I first ran this (before HDMI was out) was that when I replaced the projector I would just remove the adapter and would have a conventional DVI run.

Anywas, the M1-DA is essentially a DVI input. Just buy the right adapter and treat it exactly like you would any DVI input.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie View Post

The two projectors that I've owned both have been Infocus units with the M1-DA input. I'm running a 15ft DVD-DVI cable with a DVI-M1-DA adapter at the projector end. My thinkinh when I first ran this (before HDMI was out) was that when I replaced the projector I would just remove the adapter and would have a conventional DVI run.

Anywas, the M1-DA is essentially a DVI input. Just buy the right adapter and treat it exactly like you would any DVI input.

okay, thats what I wanted to hear. Right now, there is a dvi cable being ran to the adapter into the projector, BUT its not working. Does that mean there are problems with hdcp compliance or something? The DVD player is set to output through the dvi, but its not working. the projector isn't even reading it as a connected source...

I am upgrading everything and am hoping that there won't be any problems running hdmi --> dvi --> m1 input... seeing that its not working through the dvi is worrying me now...
post #8 of 12 Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM

My old projector is/was an Infocus SP4805, I also had the M1 connection on the back of the projector. I still have the adapters and the dvi/m1 cables for it if you need any of them. I never had any issues with them when in use. Was the setup working previously as connected and stopped on it's own, or did you make any changes to the setup. Sometimes a change in a setting will not allow the projector to see the source. If I can be of any assistance if you are in my area I would be happy to help..

Tommy....
post #9 of 12 Old 03-04-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback... unfortunately im in la,ca.. otherwise i would have definitely taken you up on that offer.. i am dying to find out if the input is broken, esp before all my new equipment comes in

i didn't use the input too often as my dvd player was ran through my receiver through component as well... so it did just stop working randomly. I am HOPING that its just the adapter thats broken...

otherwise i have to order the hd fury piece to change hdmi to component, which is pretty pricey and just use the component inputs
post #10 of 12 Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 AM

I found the adaptors and cables I needed on "MONOPRICE" try checking all the other hookups to see what works and what doesn't. If it works with one connection and not the other, try to change the settings for output on the player. I once had a problem because the player needed to be set to output to the correct link before the projector recognized it.
Too many choices and settings...........
post #11 of 12 Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Okay guys so today all my adapters and stuff came in so I tried everything. Here is what happened with the m1 input:

1) Satalite worked perfectly, instantly synched through the m1 input (m1 --> hdmi)
2) DVD player menu works, but then when you load a dvd, the screen goes blank. I tried two different dvd players (an older one with dvi out and a new one with hdmi out) and the same thing happened each time. The home screen on the player works, but the minute you put a disk in, the screen goes blank and it loses the connection completely, meaning that to get the home screen to appear on the projector, I have to turn the dvd player off, take out the disk, and turn it back on. I also tried three different dvd's and each one did the same thing. BUT i had an art disk on dvd (not a movie i guess) and that worked! Whats going on here?

So what does this mean? The input works, but doesn't work with dvd's? Does this have anything to do with hdcp???

My new preamp, wiring, and blu ray player is coming tomorrow, but i ordered the hd fury just in case i cant get it to work with the m1 port. I would really love to avoid using the hdfury unit and just go direct to the m1, but obviously something isn't working here. I don't exactly understand the whole hdcp compliance thing, but I have a hunch it has something to do with that since dvd's didnt work but satalite and a art dvd did...

any thoughts?
post #12 of 12 Old 03-29-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKfromLA View Post

So what does this mean? The input works, but doesn't work with dvd's? Does this have anything to do with hdcp???

My thoughts would be yes, it's the lack oh hdcp compliance on the pj. The reason you can view the dvd player's menu and the "art" dvd is because those are not hdcp encrypted, but the movies are.

By chance, are the dvd players you are trying to view upscaling models? These will typically not display an upscaled image without HDCP compliant displays and usually only through HDMI/DVI. However, you should still be able to view them using component/analog, although that will be 480p resolution at best.

The HDFURY should resolve this issue. In essecnce, it sidesteps the whole non hdcp compliant display problem when trying to view Blueray or any other hdcp encrypted media, which also includes upscaled standard dvd's. I don't own one, but plan on buying one for my Infocus projector as well.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page