Help with PLV-70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I have been lurking these forums for some months now. I purchased a Sanyo PLV-70 on Ebay a few monhs back. It has worked flawlessly for a while and now it shuts off after just a few minutes of use. It goes to high fan speed and runs for about a minute then goes to lamp ready state. (Rinse Repeat) I had read some similar issues with remanufactured bulbs so I bought a new bulb and the issue still exists. (I put the old bulb back in the unit.) If the meter was accurate it had only 639 hours on it anyways. I have not found a solution in these forums anywhere and have seen a couple people request service manuals for this unit. I would also like to know if I could get one. If anyone has one it would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone knows what causes this issue that would be greatly appreciated as well. I am hooking this unit up to a PC and watching videos from it. I am new to projectors or audio/video in general though I work in IT and am very tech savy.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like the lamp ballast or power supply is failing. I don't have a copy of the service manual but one of these folks might:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947184
post #3 of 8 Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I was wondering about the balast or power supply from some previous posts I had read, I was hoping to figure out how to check and see which it might be. I messaged Brandon about a service manual. Today I took the unit out into the garage, removed the filters and pulled the top off of the case. Took the air compressor to it and blew out a couple small clouds of dust. Hoping this might make a difference. Unfortunately it did not. Took it back inside and plugged it in to find the same issue. I am not getting the heat warning light or anything. It just turns off with fan on high. After a minute or so of that it goes back to lamp/ready and you can turn it back on and go through the whole thing again. As I mentioned before I am new to this whole field and didn't realize what a beast I had purchased. (Maybe a lemon too) I am wondering if it is worth taking to a repair shop of some sort. And were would I find such a place? Would be nice if there was someplace local rather than shipping the thing.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanshield View Post

Would be nice if there was someplace local rather than shipping the thing.

This might be a good time to add your location to your profile. It's actually almost rude not to (imo) have a location listed. Even just adding a state or country helps. Because someone near you might see the post and speak up.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #5 of 8 Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

I just joined the forum and just hadn't got there yet, (added now). I run a forum of my own on a different topic and do appreciate good forum etiquette
post #6 of 8 Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post

It's actually almost rude not to (imo) have a location listed.

Sorry about that. Profile updated!
post #7 of 8 Old 03-20-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

This unit had a good day, yesterday my ife and I had it off and on several times and it worked fin for hours. Now today we are back in the same boat..... Any hel hre guys? Any ideas on were to possibly get it fixed?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2009, 03:32 PM

I have had a similar issue with my PLV-70. Last year around this time the projector would turn on and the fan would start. The lamp would not light and then the fan would got to high speed for a few minutes then slow and the projector would say it was "ready." Tried replacing the lamp. but that did nothing. I Sent it to Sanyo and replaced the ballast and $300 later I got it back.
About a month ago I used the projector for the first time in months and it worked fine, however the next time I used it I had the same problem that I had this time last year. Does anyone know off hand where I can get a Ballast from? I have tried googling for it but have found nothing...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page