Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 05-07-2009, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dudes,

About two years ago I had a very noticeable dust blob on my HD1000U that bothered me to no end. The unit was still under warranty, so I took it to a local authorized shop to have it cleaned. To make a long story short, the guy messed it up, the unit went back and forth three times to Mitsubishi in CA where they messed it up and I ended up getting an entirely new unit for the pain the put upon my ass.

Fast forward two months ago, and there again is another dust blob. This one was not nearly as noticeable as my last one, but just knowing it was there, I couldn't get past it. I wanted to send it in for cleaning as an absolute last resort, so I started to research doing it myself.

Special thanks to mmullaly and dae.edorian for posting there experiences with taking the unit apart and cleaning themselves. There was also a link: www.cine4home.com/index.htm posted by barryecohen that was extremely useful giving me an idea on what to expect once I opened the unit up.

So here it is. I would consider myself okay technically with taking computers and electronics apart. I was nervous to do this, but overall, it was pretty easy. Like others have said, just keep track of the screws and where they belong. I put them off on another table as I worked and labeled each type of screw.

First, here is the underside of the unit. There are six screws to remove off the bottom. You must also remove the screws on the rear of the unit to get the top casing off.

Here is the rear of the unit where the screws need to be removed:

Next, here is what it looks like once the cover is removed:

For these plate, you need to first remove the top plate on the side.....

and then remove the larger top plate in the center to get to the circuitboard.

Here are some shots of the connections and screws you need to remove off the circuit board.

Now, this is where I may have messed up a bit. Take a look at the orange ribbon in this pic. When jostling the circuit board off, this ribbon came out. With almost no force at all, it just slipped out, and not in the way it should. After shitting my pants, convinced I had ruined the entire unit, I kept going.

After the circuitboard is off - I actually just pulled it back not wanting any other ribbons/connections to come loose - you have to remove one final plate (not pictured) and then there is a plate over the optics that requires a very small phillips head to remove the two final screws (not pictured). After that, here are the optics.

I looked and looked for the dust blob, but saw nothing. I blasted about 4 or 5 shots of compressed air, put everything back together and hooked it back up. Fired up like a charm, none of my settings were gone, and after a quick adjustment to focus, she was kicking like chicken. I actually think this may have resulted in a jump in brightness, but that could all be in my head. Best part of all is the damn dust blob is totally gone. Gone also is the "snow" I would see on a black screen when I was inches from the screen.

There is a tad bit of bad news. I don't think my component connection works anymore. This may be from the slipping out of the orange ribbon. This is not an issue at all for me since I have everything (PS3, Xbox360, A2, and Cable) all feeding in to HDMI, but I thought it was definately worth mentioning for those it would affect.

That's it. I would totally do this again if I come across a dust blob, and I would recommend it to anyone that is comfortable with this kind of thing. It took about an hour. Most of the time was me taking pics and labeling screws, but I would suggest everyone do that anyway.

Here are the tools I used:

I hope this is helpful to others, and let me know if you have any other questions via pm or off this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Thanks for a GREAT diy write-up!

Glad I was able to help.

So much media, so little time...

post #3 of 44 Old 05-16-2009, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just thought I would write a little update since it's been almost two weeks since I cleaned my HD1000U.

Initially I thought the improvement to pq was all in my head, but after almost two weeks I know it's for real. There is a jump in contrast giving the picture "pop" and the picture is just sharp as hell now. I don't know if the pj has ever looked this good even when I first got it and I now have 1400 hrs on the bulb.

I was bummed by the dustblob and starting to research 1080p projectors figuring a replacement in the near future. After just cleaning it, I'm so happy I think I can make it another 12-18 months...... I hope

There is also scientifical, empirical, quantitative proof that this cleaning lead to a massive improvement in image quality - my wife even noticed!!!! And that was without me saying anything, so it was a single blind study
post #4 of 44 Old 05-16-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I can't get canned air where I live - think a vacuum cleaner with a blower option will be ok? It's a powerful blast of air, but not precise at all...

My HD1000h has troubling dust blobs. I've had it open before (HDMI port is dead, tried to have an electronics expert friend fix it) but the blob is newer.
post #5 of 44 Old 05-16-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I would think a vacuum with a blower would work fine.

I've also seen air blowers for cameras that some others have recommended. These are just basically an air bladder that you squeeze and it blows the dust off.

Here's one on amazon to give you a better idea:

http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900...2488417&sr=8-2
post #6 of 44 Old 05-16-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Next time you're in there, check your color wheel. The outgassing from the lamp can coat the wheel and reduce the brightness/contrast. Cleaning, if necessary, is done by GENTLY using a cotton swab and denatured alcohol.
post #7 of 44 Old 05-16-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm I have a squeeze bulb meant for sucking snot out from a newborn... could be an option but doubtful... Who knows what might be forcibly shot into my projector
post #8 of 44 Old 05-16-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Order canned air online. The squeezebulb will be useless. ESPECIALLY if it's already been used for it's intended purpose. EWWW!
post #9 of 44 Old 05-16-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah when I said I can't get where I live - I meant on the continent. I live in India and I've already checked computer accessory dealers in 3-4 cities.

Vacuum overkill here we go :P Thanks for taking the time to do the work on photos and walkthough, OP.
post #10 of 44 Old 05-16-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 View Post

Hmm I have a squeeze bulb meant for sucking snot out from a newborn... could be an option but doubtful... Who knows what might be forcibly shot into my projector [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]

lol.. it will not work great in projector.. just order canned.
post #11 of 44 Old 05-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Why couldn't the orange ribbon be reattached?
post #12 of 44 Old 05-17-2009, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The orange ribbon kind of just slipped out of it's clamp. There is a clip that you have to pinch on each side to pull the ribbon out, but it just slipped out. I looked closely at it appeared as if it was connected to it's portion of the clamp with an adhesive that just gave way.

To be honest, it seems like it was always loose and ready to come out of its clamp and me moving the circuit board just finally let it loose. I think this is why my component connection didn't work, but I'm going to test more and see. I was trying to hook my modded xbox up via component and I'm thinking it may be the xbox more than the component, so I'll try hooking something else up through component.
post #13 of 44 Old 05-17-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

That isn't how that clamp works. The darker brown, center section either pivots up or slides out to release the ribbon. I can't tell from the photo. Insert the ribbon into the slot and push the clamp back in or down. There is no adhesive involved.
post #14 of 44 Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM

My HC1500 has a few dust blobs at the outer edges of the image. I may be using this guide in the future. The orange ribbon thing scared me a bit though.

Let us know if you're able to get your component working again.
post #15 of 44 Old 05-17-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't let that stop you. Just operate the clamp as designed and you'll be fine.

There are two styles of ribbon cable clamps, some some pivot up, others slide out. Whatever you do, don't force it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobi125 View Post

My HC1500 has a few dust blobs at the outer edges of the image. I may be using this guide in the future. The orange ribbon thing scared me a bit though.

Let us know if you're able to get your component working again.

post #16 of 44 Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wouldn't let the ribbon deal stop you either. I think on mine it was just loose or ready to give as I put very, very little pressure on it.

Nobi -
I have not had time yet, but I will retest my component connection and see if it works. if the ribbons on the bottom of the board make you nervous, just "peel" the circuitboard back to get to the optics. That's what I did after the orange ribbon came out for fear of any others popping out. If you just approach it that way, it's really simple. My third to last shot in the lower left hand side, you can see the circuitboard propped up with full access to the optics - well, at least that's what the out of focus piece in the lower left is
post #17 of 44 Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah when I said I can't get where I live - I meant on the continent. I live in India and I've already checked computer accessory dealers in 3-4 cities.

Vacuum overkill here we go :P Thanks for taking the time to do the work on photos and walkthough, OP.

Thats a riot, half the tech support of the whole world lives in a place you can't even get a can of air.....

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #18 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 10:58 AM

I just took out the lamp on mine...blasted some air into the gaps around the colour wheel assembly, reassembled, and my many blobs were gone.
post #19 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMonk View Post

I just took out the lamp on mine...blasted some air into the gaps around the colour wheel assembly, reassembled, and my many blobs were gone.

Interesting, I may have to try this when I replace my lamp.

Anyone else try this?
post #20 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 02:29 PM

This is great news!!! I hope it's the same procedure for the HC1500. I sent my unit in for color wheel noise in April and when it came back it had dust blobs, but they where outside the image area. I didn't won't to send the unit back again since there were no dust on the image. Thanks for the great write up.
post #21 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Basilisk,

This should be the identical innards for your 1500.
post #22 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Basilisk,

This should be the identical innards for your 1500.

More than likely, since the layout is also quite similar to the hc3000's.
post #23 of 44 Old 06-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't get canned air where I live - think a vacuum cleaner with a blower option will be ok? It's a powerful blast of air, but not precise at all...

My HD1000h has troubling dust blobs. I've had it open before (HDMI port is dead, tried to have an electronics expert friend fix it) but the blob is newer.

You know, I wouldn't do this. Canned air is clean, has no dust. A vacuum may suck in and blow dusty air into the projector, depending on how it works. A shop vac that has a good filter would work well though.

Or you can buy a Co2 cartridge and pierce it...just be careful
post #24 of 44 Old 06-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Yeah..ummm, I kinda jumped the gun on the dust blobs being gone after blowing some air through the lamp area. Later that night, (last night) the room got darker...and the blobs are mostly still there. I guess there will be a disassembly in my future after all.
post #25 of 44 Old 06-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMonk View Post

Yeah..ummm, I kinda jumped the gun on the dust blobs being gone after blowing some air through the lamp area. Later that night, (last night) the room got darker...and the blobs are mostly still there. I guess there will be a disassembly in my future after all.

Damn, I was hoping there was an easy way out.

I wonder if anyone else has figured out an easy way to remove dust blobs on this projector.
post #26 of 44 Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The dust blobs that are visible on a DLP projector will be in the imaging chamber. Getting to this sealed area requires opening the projector to expose the chamber, which is directly behind the lens.
post #27 of 44 Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

The dust blobs that are visible on a DLP projector will be in the imaging chamber. Getting to this sealed area requires opening the projector to expose the chamber, which is directly behind the lens.

True, but the dust got in there somehow. Would be nice if there was some way to blow air through the same hole or crack that the dust got in through.
post #28 of 44 Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

True, the dust got in there "somehow". The problem is, you can't get to it without opening the projector. It is not accessible from outside. Besides, even if you could, all you would do is blow the dust around inside the chamber. You would have no way of directing the air to force the dust out.

No, the only way is open the projector and take the lid off of the chamber. I've been there many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobi125 View Post

True, but the dust got in there somehow. Would be nice if there was some way to blow air through the same hole or crack that the dust got in through.

post #29 of 44 Old 03-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Just cleaned out some dust blobs and hair in my HC1500 following your directions and it worked wonderfully. Absolutely blob-free and seemingly brighter than ever....Thank you!

PS make sure your screw drivers are magnetized!

post #30 of 44 Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 PM

I just did mine today. Cleaned it up and am in the process of putting it back together.

One thing to note is that the screws on the "lightbox" are really small make sure you have a very small phillips screwdriver for it. I'm talking optician small.

Also the lightbox is really sealed but somehow dust gets in there and/or it was there from the factory.

One other thing about the orange cable is that its connector is designed to pried upwards and the cable slips out. It's no big deal just pry the connector up and slip the cable back in correctly and press the connector back down. All other connectors are just pulled out laterally as you would expect. I swabbed everything with 91% isopropyl alcohol - maybe that was a mistake. I'll let everyone know.

Even though I plan on getting a 1080p projector I intend to keep this one. It was built like a tank and I will replace its bulb and keep it for 720p sources like Xbox, PS3, certain sports channels. It is very bright in its calibrated mode and very few projectors rival it when calibrated. From what I read even the 2500 ANSI Lumens Optoma HD66 provides the same amount of light when calibrated for video. I bet the 2500 Lumens is a presentation mode number as it is a dual purpose unit. I think it can offer me another 2-3 years of use. The original bulb has given me 3900 hours and I see no reason why a new $300 bulb won't give me the same with my usage patterns.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page