A problem with the Acer ph530 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted the following on the ph530 thread earlier but seeing that I didn't get any aswers I made a thread about it. I'm having an annoying problem with my ph530 and despite of mindless searching for a solution I've ended up with nothing useful.
Symptoms are that the screen starts flashing red, green and blue after 15-30 minutes of use. Right before the projector shuts itself down it sounds a series of funny beeping noise sounding like it was suffering
After that it shuts down and the indicators for the lamp and overheating turn into red. If I turn it back on later it repeats all these stages again.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry for my english...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM

I have the same problem, and it's quite a big one at that!

Does anybody know how to fix this? then please answer!
post #3 of 15 Old 06-26-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I have also had the overheating problem. It will shutdown after about 30-40 minutes on high. It was fine on eco, but it recently is starting to shut down on eco. I believe the cooling system on these wears out especially in dustier environments like mine in SE PA.

Mine is out of warranty so I am thinking of CAREFULLY taking it apart, cleaning it, and seeing if any of the fans can be replaced with higher capacity ones. Most of these electronics nowadays you standard ##mm fans anymore.

If I have any success, I will post back. I may be taking it apart tomorrow as this is a short weekend with my kids and it may not be used much.

This is a very good projector though for the money otherwise. My lamp currently has 4112 hours on it. I may replace it as it is now noticeably dimmer... though this is in eco mode. still somewhat acceptable under bright when the white color wheel is at 10 under the settings.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #4 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 AM

While you have it apart, check for bad/blown capacitors. A lot of times if these go out it will start messing with your powers supply and could cause behavior like this
post #5 of 15 Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Flashing colors in a DLP is also an indication of a color wheel failure.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-25-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The color wheel itself has nothing to do with the problem. I find too many people giving advise on projector problems who really are not in a position to give it.

I always ask posters to PM me for real help so the threads do not get littered with responses from members which really do not know and do not have the equipment to check anything.

I amUser: You have numerous software controlled sensors which regulate by temperature the color wheel positioning in relation to the DLP mirrors depending on the signal timing sent from the source component. This is why your problem is happening after 20-30 minutes after the internal thermostat reaches a set specification. Your temperature light is coming on not because the unit is actually overheating but because the internal thermostat is either not reading properly or it is getting a false signal from some other issue.

As everyone can see just because a projector unit is showing some form of malfunction it does not mean it is something obvious which the projector is showing on the screen.

User: PM me and I will get into more detail since you are getting no response from even the ph530 thread or threads.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-25-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
It's all yours, frank456. I'll take my years of experience as an a/v technician and stay home.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 PM

I am having a similar issue with my PH530. Although the bulb is nearly new (somewhere around 125 hours on it), both yesterday and today it has shutdown after a while and give what I believe is a lamp overheat warning. Yesterday it may have been a few hours of run time before it happened, today it was somewhere between 1-2 hours. Hopefully it doesn't become chronic, but I fear it may. I have been running it on regular (non-eco) mode and have had the projector for 5-6 months using 20 or so hours a week without issues. I bought the projector used, so I do not know how many overall hours there are on the machine. In the expert's opinion, what sort of issue am I running into here? Dust, bad fans, thermostat?

Thanks in advance.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 AM

My projector stopped working. I think it is a ballast problem.

Problem: when powered on, it starts up (fans come on just fine) and the projector "acts like" it's going to light up correctly. However, no light ever comes on. It goes through this cycle 3-4 times, then the red "temp" and red "lamp" lights come on and stay lit.

So, I decided to get a new 1080p projector and sale the PH530 for scrap parts for anyone interested. Just listed it on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

post #10 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massmanjr View Post

My projector stopped working. I think it is a ballast problem.

Problem: when powered on, it starts up (fans come on just fine) and the projector "acts like" it's going to light up correctly. However, no light ever comes on. It goes through this cycle 3-4 times, then the red "temp" and red "lamp" lights come on and stay lit.

So, I decided to get a new 1080p projector and sale the PH530 for scrap parts for anyone interested. Just listed it on ebay.

I'll take the remote, just bought it on eBay. Hopefully I get whatever is starting to go out on mine figured out.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 AM

Hello all ,

Altough an old problem / projector I have the same problem as the TS. The projector shuts down after about 30 minutes with the " lamp" light flashing. After a direct restart it lasts abour 10 minutes. After about an hour is lasts 30 minutes again before shutting down.

Thanks a lot fot your help ,
best regards ,
Mike , The Netherlands
post #12 of 15 Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultMike View Post
Hello all ,

Altough an old problem / projector I have the same problem as the TS. The projector shuts down after about 30 minutes with the " lamp" light flashing. After a direct restart it lasts abour 10 minutes. After about an hour is lasts 30 minutes again before shutting down.

Thanks a lot fot your help ,
best regards ,
Mike , The Netherlands
I started running mine in ECO mode after I had this problem, and nearly 2 years later it is still working fine and hasn't shut down since. If you mess with the settings, you really don't lose a whole like of brightness in ECO mode anyway.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks mkvien , just watched 2 whole movies without the beamer shutting down!

Mike
post #14 of 15 Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultMike View Post

Thanks mkvien , just watched 2 whole movies without the beamer shutting down!

Mike

no prob, glad I could help.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 AM

I hope you get this... I have an acer ph530 with over 4000 hours on the lamp! I always used it in eco mode - but sometimes the system resets and the lamp overheats in regular mode... so, try setting it to economy mode - it lowers the brightness a little, but let's the projector stay on.

Hope this helps.

P.S. It's a bitch registering to this blog! I had to try over and over because your captcha is too hard to read and then you add another thing to fill out which most people don't expect... TOO MUCH HASSLE TO JUST ANSWER A QUESTION FOR SOMEONE!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page