post #271 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder View Post

Seriously resolution is not everything. The ax-200 is a better overall projector for the same money. Better color, black level and LUMENS...

Are you going by experience? As in, do you own a Panasonic ax-200, or are you just going by manufacturer claims?

"Playing this game is like having your eyes slit open with straight razors, filled with baby spider eggs, then re-sealed, and then being treated to the sensation of hundreds of tiny, venemous little arachnids bursting into being behind your pupils, consuming everything they can touch, and feeling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you turn off BC, brite mode and AI, you may get a better picture. With my HD65 I used to turn them all off.
post #273 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 07:06 AM

Hi,
I am getting my first pj. For the last month I was getting ready to purchase Panny 720p (AE-200), but after reading about Optoma HD20 I couldn't resist.
I am located in Canada and can get it from the big retailer but due to favorable exchange rate I decided to get it from the US. After all $999 USD is only $1100 CDN or so . In a week or so, I will be visiting my friend in Chicago and since Visual Apex just got them back in stock I pulled the trigger and they will ship it to my friend on Monday (to avoid higher shipping rates and custom nonsense). I am building my HT in the basement with relatively low ceiling in very reasonable sized room. I will have good light control once I close all the walls, but even initially I will be able to cover 2 small windows to eliminate almost all ambient light.
At this point I have 2 questions:
What kind of screen should I look for? I can use fixed screen, no need for electrical. Also what mount should I get? Is anyone familiar with Mustang MV-PROJSP-FLATW? I can get it "at the big retailer" for only $49 CDN.
They also have MV-PROJSP which is a bit different but would I need all this flexibility?

Thanks,
Wojtek
PS: Great forum, great source of information. Thank You all
post #274 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 AM

Hey guys if I had the hd20 about 9.7 feet from a 96 inch 2.35:1 screen (88.1" wide x37.5 high) could I fill the screen with a HTB Anamorphic Lens or would I need a smaller screen?

Would the hd20 just need to throw a height of 37.5" and the anamorphic lens take care of the rest?

The reason I ask is b/c I already have the screen and use the zoom method with a Sanyo Z2 but was looking to get into 1080p with a DLP projector.

Thanks
post #275 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 AM

I think everyone needs to realize that if you already own a screen. It may not be the right type of screen for that particular projector regardless of which one you chose. White, grey, different gains. All give you a different form of contrast. This projector is VERY bright if you throw this at a white screen. Blacks may not ever be black. Some projectors are dimmer where a white screen is needed. Just consider it takes two to tango. And the screen is just as important as the projector. Just ask a consultant of any projector outlet and they will tell you the same thing. Older screens were meant for older dimmer projectors. New screens actually dim the screen!

Just a thought.

Jason
post #276 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirTERM View Post

Hi,
I am located in Canada and can get it from the big retailer but due to favorable exchange rate I decided to get it from the US. After all $999 USD is only $1100 CDN or so . In a week or so, I will be visiting my friend in Chicago and since Visual Apex just got them back in stock I pulled the trigger and they will ship it to my friend on Monday (to avoid higher shipping rates and custom nonsense).
Thanks,
Wojtek

do you know how that might affect the warrantee on the pj?
ie, if the pj breaks or has various issues, how difficult will it be to get it serviced/replaced/whatever?
post #277 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdealmike View Post

Goto bing search optoma HD20 then click on optoma products in bing cashback area(pinkish area before search results). Sort by price high to low and then click on page 4 and look for 1700 lumens and $879 price click link and there ya go J&R hd20 $879

I tried to do this today and I don't get offered one from J&R. Is it dead? I'll jump on it at 879!!!!
post #278 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclbob View Post

I tried to do this today and I don't get offered one from J&R. Is it dead? I'll jump on it at 879!!!!

Easiest way is goto bing. Click on shopping link. Then type in search: 1700 lumens and it will be the first result.
post #279 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamwriter View Post

Are you going by experience? As in, do you own a Panasonic ax-200, or are you just going by manufacturer claims?

Yes I have an ax-200 as well as ae2000 and samsung 710. I guess I was expecting too much comparing a 1080p budget projector to them.. In all honesty I prefer the picture of all three of the projectors to the optoma..For what it is worth I sit 12 feet away from a 92 inch screen so resolution probably is not as big a factor for me.
post #280 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There is a lot more to just resolution. As an analogy, I prefer cars that could handle curve than straight line; anyone can put out a powerful engine. Maybe I'm just an old fart.

I've gone thru LCD's and DLP's, each with its strengths and weaknesses; it's what YOU can live with. Viva la difference.

I'm considering this PJ 'cause the brightness for sports. For movie, I prefer LCOS, while my wife could care less, perfectly happy with the Panny plasma or the Mitsu hc3000 720p.

Just relax and enjoy.
post #281 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

There is a lot more to just resolution. As an analogy, I prefer cars that could handle curve than straight line; anyone can put out a powerful engine. Maybe I'm just an old fart.

I've gone thru LCD's and DLP's, each with its strengths and weaknesses; it's what YOU can live with. Viva la difference.

I'm considering this PJ 'cause the brightness for sports. For movie, I prefer LCOS, while my wife could care less, perfectly happy with the Panny plasma or the Mitsu hc3000 720p.

Just relax and enjoy.

If you want brightness for sports why not get the Panny ax-200...brighter, better colors, sharper, and deeper blacks for the same price...Plus Espn broadcasts in 720p unless they have changed that so really no advantage in getting a 1080p projector for sports (at least on espn)...
post #282 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirTERM View Post

Hi,
I am getting my first pj. For the last month I was getting ready to purchase Panny 720p (AE-200), but after reading about Optoma HD20 I couldn't resist.
I am located in Canada and can get it from the big retailer but due to favorable exchange rate I decided to get it from the US. After all $999 USD is only $1100 CDN or so . In a week or so, I will be visiting my friend in Chicago and since Visual Apex just got them back in stock I pulled the trigger and they will ship it to my friend on Monday (to avoid higher shipping rates and custom nonsense). I am building my HT in the basement with relatively low ceiling in very reasonable sized room. I will have good light control once I close all the walls, but even initially I will be able to cover 2 small windows to eliminate almost all ambient light.
At this point I have 2 questions:
What kind of screen should I look for? I can use fixed screen, no need for electrical. Also what mount should I get? Is anyone familiar with Mustang MV-PROJSP-FLATW? I can get it "at the big retailer" for only $49 CDN.
They also have MV-PROJSP which is a bit different but would I need all this flexibility?

Thanks,
Wojtek

Hi Wojtek,

I grabbed the HD200x from the big retailer too and am hoping to get an HD20 when I head into the states and return the HD200x as it will save a couple hundred bucks.

I purchased the Mustang mount as well and although I haven't actually mounted it since I'm hoping to exchange it, it seems like it would fit it just fine. Someone else on the forums here has the same mount and says it fits it great. For $49 you can't go wrong, it's a very solid mount!

LNT4661F
PS3, X360, Wii
Pioneer HTP-2990 5.1 Surround
post #283 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

To the HD20 and 200x owners:

Lets have a detailed discussion on the contrast ratio of this machine.....For some reason, with the contrst higher and the brightness lower i get darker blacks??

Also, the superwide mode....I am not sure exactly how to set it up but I do know that when I have it on in "Auto" mode all 2:35 movies have smaller black bars at top and bottom but it cuts off all 1:85 to one including my dish hd channels.....is this correct?

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #284 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Plus Espn broadcasts in 720p unless they have changed that so really no advantage in getting a 1080p projector for sports (at least on espn)...

There's still other channels :P I just turned on golf on NBC, it looked *amazing* at 1080i (upconverted to 1080p of course). And football is another one that really benefits from 1080i, at least going from my experiences. Of course, if you watch more ESPN/ABC/FOX than anything else, native 720p is the way to go (too bad this projector doesn't support 1:1 720p mode, but it's more of a beginner's projector, that would make it more complicated).

"Playing this game is like having your eyes slit open with straight razors, filled with baby spider eggs, then re-sealed, and then being treated to the sensation of hundreds of tiny, venemous little arachnids bursting into being behind your pupils, consuming everything they can touch, and feeling...
post #285 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I've had the projector for a few hours now, my initial experiences:

Damn this thing is better in almost every way than my old Infocus SP5000 - to be expected, that was bottom of the line LCD 720p when it was brand new a few years ago. Not quite as bright as that one - it was an LCD light cannon - but when needed, I can put the picture in bright mode and still get a usable picture for ambient light. I wish there was a button on the remote that would switch between User and Bright, but there is a Mode button, so it still only takes a few seconds to make the change. It's also got better color and contrast than the TV it replaced, which was a 37" 720p Vizio (I got that two years ago when my SP5000 stopped working).

The fan is nice and quiet with the lamp in low-light mode, and the difference between the two modes is so small, there's no real need to put it into high - picture bright mode is plenty bright. AI should definitely be turned off, as was mentioned, it switches the lamp between high and low light based on the picture, so makes the fan go up and down, makes the picture blink brighter and dimmer, and in the long run lowers your lamp's life.

My cable box's HDMI takes a long time to sync with the projector, I had to put the projector in Source Lock to keep the projector from switching back to another input before the sync worked. Also takes a while to re-sync when the cable box changes resolutions.

Oh, and Rock Band 2 says the projector has 23ms video lag (going by auto-calibration using the light sensor in the guitar). Note, that's at 720p - there's probably extra lag caused by upconverting 720p to the native 1080p.

post #286 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay thanks for the helpful advice...I had an Optoma dv10 with the same auto ai function and dont recall the same problems (noise and flashing colors/brightness) as this machine. I turned off the auto ai and the problems went away however blcak levels suck and colors are off. Was getting ready to return it and found out that PP charges a 15% restocking fee for 4 -10 hours on the bulb and guess what I have 4 hours like an idiot. Gonna call and see if they cut me a break and let me upgrade or swap it out for another projector. BTW i PAID 897 for my Samsung 710 and the my complaint is reliability (I have two and one has been sent in for repairs twice while the other one has been flawless) and bulb dimming after 400 hours. Seriously resolution is not everything. The ax-200 is a better overall projector for the same money. Better color, black level and LUMENS...

If you did any research at all or knew a little about projectors you would know the bulb needs to break in. You would know why the fan was going on and off and you would know not to spout off on such things and look rather foolish.

I knew right off the bat what you were experiencing and once that problem took hold you had a instant dislike. When this happens more times than not people will rag everything about the machine.

I mean seriously most on here and the one I did see has good color and very good sharpness. You say how loud it is then proceed to bash the sharpness the contrast the black levels. Come on now you are going way overboard.

This is why we need professionals to look at the subjectively and not fly off the handle type irratonal things cause you think its defective and call it a PoS.

Black levels suck is a great representation of you attitude towards the machine and shows your bias. Also calling a unit a PoS says wonders about your abilities to distinguish from projector to projector.

But yes I know i know. You really did read up as to why you were experiencing what you did and you know plenty about projectors and all the tech in them.
post #287 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

To the HD20 and 200x owners:

Lets have a detailed discussion on the contrast ratio of this machine.....For some reason, with the contrst higher and the brightness lower i get darker blacks??

Also, the superwide mode....I am not sure exactly how to set it up but I do know that when I have it on in "Auto" mode all 2:35 movies have smaller black bars at top and bottom but it cuts off all 1:85 to one including my dish hd channels.....is this correct?

I think it is a general axiom that on televisions and projectors the brightness settings on TV's actually affects the black levels...

Here's one article on the confusion:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/306638.html

Robert Clark
post #288 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

I think it is a general axiom that on televisions and projectors the brightness settings on TV's actually affects the black levels...

Here's one article on the confusion:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/306638.html

Thanks Robert.

Yea, I just thought higher contrast meant crushing blacks...

I can say that this projector produces a rich and saturated picture with lots of sharpness and detail. The black levels are above average but not great...still, good enough and then some. ai am very happy with this projector.

post #289 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Robert.

Yea, I just thought higher contrast meant crushing blacks...

I can say that this projector produces a rich and saturated picture with lots of sharpness and detail. The black levels are above average but not great...still, good enough and then some. ai am very happy with this projector.

Thanks Deez for your posts in this thread,

the HD20 is definitely on my short list of my next projector. I love my Sharpvision XV-Z3000 but I'm itching for some 1080p.

Robert Clark
post #290 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Hi, Could someone see if there is real difference in image between the hd20 and hd200x?
post #291 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix2 View Post

If you did any research at all or knew a little about projectors you would know the bulb needs to break in. You would know why the fan was going on and off and you would know not to spout off on such things and look rather foolish.

I knew right off the bat what you were experiencing and once that problem took hold you had a instant dislike. When this happens more times than not people will rag everything about the machine.

I mean seriously most on here and the one I did see has good color and very good sharpness. You say how loud it is then proceed to bash the sharpness the contrast the black levels. Come on now you are going way overboard.

This is why we need professionals to look at the subjectively and not fly off the handle type irratonal things cause you think its defective and call it a PoS.

Black levels suck is a great representation of you attitude towards the machine and shows your bias. Also calling a unit a PoS says wonders about your abilities to distinguish from projector to projector.

But yes I know i know. You really did read up as to why you were experiencing what you did and you know plenty about projectors and all the tech in them.

Oh my looks like I upset someone. SORRY... What reason would i have to be biased against this projector?? I bought one!! This was my 8th projector purchase... I currently have five. Two samsung 710's, Panasonic ax-200, ae-2000 and ae-900. I dont claim to be a projector expert and therefore dont know everything. Like I said in my earlier post I used to own the optoma dv10 that had the auto AI on and I dont recall the change in fans speed and color/brightness to have been as noticeable hence my initial negative reaction and reason why I thought there may have been something wrong with my projector. As long as your eyes like what they see then be happy with this projector and post your own positive opinion on it just like I can post mine. I guess I could have worded things differently but at this point I cant afford to let the bulb break and give it more time otherwise I wont be able to return it.

BTW the Samsung 710 can be a POS...It broke twice on me but it does throw a pretty picture when it is working..lol
post #292 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Deez for your posts in this thread,

the HD20 is definitely on my short list of my next projector. I love my Sharpvision XV-Z3000 but I'm itching for some 1080p.

No problem...it seems as though the more I watch this PJ the better the picture has gotten.
I have 89 hours on it and it gives some very rich detailed images.....I don't see how you could go wrong with this PJ at this price point...it also has some adjustments I don't understand like gamma curve...every gamma setting has an offset and curve adjustment.

post #293 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No problem...it seems as though the more I watch this PJ the better the picture has gotten.
I have 89 hours on it and it gives some very rich detailed images.....I don't see how you could go wrong with this PJ at this price point...it also has some adjustments I don't understand like gamma curve...every gamma setting has an offset and curve adjustment.

The gamma presets are all user changeable. They're rather redundant because you can make them all the same by setting the same offset and curve values for each preset. I don't know what a gamma offset is exactly, but using the graphics preset for watching film is destroying detail in the lower gamma values. I know it is more contrasty and has more "punch'", but put in a movie such as Sin City, switch between the two, and you'll see what I mean.
post #294 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:

I love my Sharpvision XV-Z3000 but I'm itching for some 1080p.

Robert, your z3000 is a terrific projector. I'm surprised your considering the optoma as an upgrade to your current display. Your sharp has a measured native contrast of around 3,000:1 from what I recall. The optomas hd80 was measured at around 2200:1. Isn't the hd20 a downgrade from hd80? On top of that, sharp projectors are know to be very durable with very few complaints here on the forum. 1080p may sound exciting, but in practice other aspects of the image take precedence.

I hope I don't get flamed for my post, I have nothing against optoma...just trying to help a fellow member out.
post #295 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

The gamma presets are all user changeable. They're rather redundant because you can make them all the same by setting the same offset and curve values for each preset. I don't know what a gamma offset is exactly, but using the graphics preset for watching film is destroying detail in the lower gamma values. I know it is more contrasty and has more "punch'", but put in a movie such as Sin City, switch between the two, and you'll see what I mean.

I see that too...in dark parts of some films i see less detail.....I have played around and now I see more detail with higher contrast and lower brightness. Picture is punchy and detailed though.

One thing to remember is that this pj has a usb for a fw upgrade so.....maybe more will be revealed!

post #296 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh my looks like I upset someone. SORRY... What reason would i have to be biased against this projector?? I bought one!! This was my 8th projector purchase... I currently have five. Two samsung 710's, Panasonic ax-200, ae-2000 and ae-900. I dont claim to be a projector expert and therefore dont know everything. Like I said in my earlier post I used to own the optoma dv10 that had the auto AI on and I dont recall the change in fans speed and color/brightness to have been as noticeable hence my initial negative reaction and reason why I thought there may have been something wrong with my projector. As long as your eyes like what they see then be happy with this projector and post your own positive opinion on it just like I can post mine. I guess I could have worded things differently but at this point I cant afford to let the bulb break and give it more time otherwise I wont be able to return it.

BTW the Samsung 710 can be a POS...It broke twice on me but it does throw a pretty picture when it is working..lol

If you want people to listen to what you have to say do it in an appropriate manner. Upset me? How could you possibly do that? Again thats what I mean by your attitude. You help nobody including yourself by acting they way you do.

Just state whats going on and word things like a mature adult not like a crazed maniac.

post #297 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I object to name calling - it spoils the fun and could give this place a reputation for unfriendliness.

Administrator?
post #298 of 4008 Old 08-15-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubsr1 View Post

Robert, your z3000 is a terrific projector. I'm surprised your considering the optoma as an upgrade to your current display. Your sharp has a measured native contrast of around 3,000:1 from what I recall. The optomas hd80 was measured at around 2200:1. Isn't the hd20 a downgrade from hd80? On top of that, sharp projectors are know to be very durable with very few complaints here on the forum. 1080p may sound exciting, but in practice other aspects of the image take precedence.

I hope I don't get flamed for my post, I have nothing against optoma...just trying to help a fellow member out.

No worries
Though it's gotten a little heated in this forum, I find this to be one of the more interesting times in projectors.
I also am very aware of how excellent my Sharp is. It's been a very fine unit, and it's getting closer to needing a bulb.
I have two rules in buying projectors (I've owned projectors since 1983): I never pay more than $2000 for a projector (though I could) and I never buy a bulb.
I will take my time and buy what is the best projector for the money. There are several interesting candidates coming in the next few months.

Robert Clark
post #299 of 4008 Old 08-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix2 View Post

If you want people to listen to what you have to say do it in an appropriate manner. Upset me? How could you possibly do that? Again thats what I mean by your attitude. You help nobody including yourself by acting they way you do.

Just state whats going on and word things like a mature adult not like a crazed maniac.

Okay I see your point. I guess I shouldnt have posted after having a few beers. It loosens up the tongue... But it must have bothered you because you did respond (and so did someone else) as if I personally attacked you..

In all honesty I was very excited about this projector and happen to love dlp's so was really looking forward to obtaining my first 1080p dlp. The problem with LCD's is color uniformity especially on a white background. I play a lot of NHL 09 and all three of my LCD projectors have misconvergence leaving red discoloration on the ice. It is slight but noticeble and annoying. I dont have to worry about that with a DLP. I am still standing by my earlier comments but with less harsh language. Turning auto AI off fixed the fan speed and color/brightness flickering problem. It was really annoying hearing the fan rev up like a jet engine ready for take off and then slow down. I am comparing this projector against my 5 other projectors and resolution is the only thing that beats them (except the ae2000) and even then the HD20 seems a littly blurry. The black levels are not that good, colors are off and it doesnt appear as sharp (im not sure if its the optics or what) as my other projectors. It also leaks light. I have it ceiling mounted and amount of light hitting my white ceiling (which isnt helping with the picture) is a large amount. I didnt spend a lot of time with the projector and went with cinema and reference modes with auto ai engaged initially. After turning ai off and using dve to adjust color, brightness and contrast the picture did improve slightly. Every projector I have purchased in the past was after reading a review from either PC or PR. This was my first "blind" purchase. The panasonics and Samsung are known to come out of the box with good color and need only minor adjustments. I feel like I suffered a downgrade in picture quality when comparing this to my other projectors. A better comparison would have been the HD 20 to the other budget 1080p projectors in the same price range.

Okay I dont want to offend anyone and it is not my intention. It really depends on what projector you are upgrading from and how important 1080p is to you. I am trying to save someone who may be in a similar position as I and tell you that the HD20 compared to the aforementioned projectors doesnt hold up as well. If you never owned a projector before, are coming from a much older projector, or dont have a reference point for comparison then you will in all likelyhood be blown away by this projector. I talked to the wife and she said something that stunned me. She said "Why dont you just return the projector and apply the money for a better projector. If you are going to get a new projector you might as well get something better than what you already have" I was stunned. What a wonderful woman. So I will take her advice and this time I am going to wait for more of the newer models to come out and wait for professional reviews before making my next purchase...Anyway enjoy your HD20...Its not a bad projector for the money it is just not for me. I am sure if it was professionally calibrated it would throw a pretty good picture. Anyway I may end up keeping this projector. If I have to pay the 15% restocking fee, along with the shipping and insurance costs I might just keep it and use it for HD channel viewing and NHL 09 game playing exclusively. Blu ray will be left for my ae2000 and samsung (even though it is only 720p the picture especially the color is wonderful on this machine).
post #300 of 4008 Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay I see your point. I guess I shouldnt have posted after having a few beers. It loosens up the tongue... But it must have bothered you because you did respond (and so did someone else) as if I personally attacked you..

In all honesty I was very excited about this projector and happen to love dlp's so was really looking forward to obtaining my first 1080p dlp. The problem with LCD's is color uniformity especially on a white background. I play a lot of NHL 09 and all three of my LCD projectors have misconvergence leaving red discoloration on the ice. It is slight but noticeble and annoying. I dont have to worry about that with a DLP. I am still standing by my earlier comments but with less harsh language. Turning auto AI off fixed the fan speed and color/brightness flickering problem. It was really annoying hearing the fan rev up like a jet engine ready for take off and then slow down. I am comparing this projector against my 5 other projectors and resolution is the only thing that beats them (except the ae2000) and even then the HD20 seems a littly blurry. The black levels are not that good, colors are off and it doesnt appear as sharp (im not sure if its the optics or what) as my other projectors. It also leaks light. I have it ceiling mounted and amount of light hitting my white ceiling (which isnt helping with the picture) is a large amount. I didnt spend a lot of time with the projector and went with cinema and reference modes with auto ai engaged initially. After turning ai off and using dve to adjust color, brightness and contrast the picture did improve slightly. Every projector I have purchased in the past was after reading a review from either PC or PR. This was my first "blind" purchase. The panasonics and Samsung are known to come out of the box with good color and need only minor adjustments. I feel like I suffered a downgrade in picture quality when comparing this to my other projectors. A better comparison would have been the HD 20 to the other budget 1080p projectors in the same price range.

Okay I dont want to offend anyone and it is not my intention. It really depends on what projector you are upgrading from and how important 1080p is to you. I am trying to save someone who may be in a similar position as I and tell you that the HD20 compared to the aforementioned projectors doesnt hold up as well. If you never owned a projector before, are coming from a much older projector, or dont have a reference point for comparison then you will in all likelyhood be blown away by this projector. I talked to the wife and she said something that stunned me. She said "Why dont you just return the projector and apply the money for a better projector. If you are going to get a new projector you might as well get something better than what you already have" I was stunned. What a wonderful woman. So I will take her advice and this time I am going to wait for more of the newer models to come out and wait for professional reviews before making my next purchase...Anyway enjoy your HD20...Its not a bad projector for the money it is just not for me. I am sure if it was professionally calibrated it would throw a pretty good picture. Anyway I may end up keeping this projector. If I have to pay the 15% restocking fee, along with the shipping and insurance costs I might just keep it and use it for HD channel viewing and NHL 09 game playing exclusively. Blu ray will be left for my ae2000 and samsung (even though it is only 720p the picture especially the color is wonderful on this machine).

All good my friend just easier for us to trust reviews if we do them in a decent way. I understand your frustration aswell.

Have a great day and look forward to more of your input in the future.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page