post #3241 of 3999 Old 08-31-2011, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolan33 View Post

Tried to find anything on this, but couldn't.
Has anyone had anything with the hours on the Lamp, seem to be wrong, or double what they should be?

My lamp says 16hours...but I know for a fact that it definitely isn't passed the 10 hours mark....and I missing something?

Are you sure it said "0" hours when you first turned it on? Seems more likely that it didn't start at zero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3999 Old 09-01-2011, 05:24 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

Are you sure it said "0" hours when you first turned it on? Seems more likely that it didn't start at zero.

It was at zero...brand new...just find the hours are going up very fast....

Knolan 33
Only live once...make the most of it

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339145
post #3243 of 3999 Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Perhaps you just have been watching it more than you realize?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #3244 of 3999 Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

Perhaps you just have been watching it more than you realize?

Maybe...just seems that even if it's not on for an hour it goes up. But could very well be not noticing the time.

Knolan 33

post #3245 of 3999 Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM

My color wheel is out of sync. It starts okay but in about 30 sec the color mode changes to a purplish blue. I have cleaned the projector inside and out, I have performed a reset, the high altitude fan is on, and it is out of warranty. I think the color wheel needs to be replaced, for the price it cost to send it to Optima I should just go buy a new one. I have called the projector stores near me and cannot find someone willing to sell me a color wheel or fix the projector. Can anyone help me out?
post #3246 of 3999 Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolan33 View Post

Maybe...just seems that even if it's not on for an hour it goes up. But could very well be not noticing the time.

I do believe their counter rounds up. So it's likely that 30 mins would count as an hour. So if you had it on for 30 mins x 10 it may show as 300 hours when it was really only 150 hours. I remember my low count seemed high. But now when I use the projector it's usually on for about 1 hour if I game and for about 2-3 hours if a watch a movie.

Also, the counter is a very very generic measurement for projectors. If you were to go into the service menu, they even track what they call something like "Irregular hours" or something like that. Not in front of my unit to see. Or maybe it was "Abuse hours". It was some negative rating.

Anyway, temp, short intervals, lamp hi, etc... all affect the bulb poorly. And the bulb will go out when it goes out. And the hours is not a very good indicator of when it will go out. Could go out at 1000 hours or 4000. Though it seems many are in the 3000's for the HD20. I have had mine for over 1.5 years and on the same bulb. I am pretty sure the lamp only has a 3 month warranty.
post #3247 of 3999 Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 PM

xenon you did you math wrong. Ten 30 minute sessions rounded upto an hour each is 10 hours. Not 300 hours.

"You can say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one."
--- John Lennon
post #3248 of 3999 Old 09-02-2011, 04:56 PM

Knolan33,

What mount is that. Looks much better thank my cheapo monoprice mount.
post #3249 of 3999 Old 09-02-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlas View Post

My color wheel is out of sync. It starts okay but in about 30 sec the color mode changes to a purplish blue. I have cleaned the projector inside and out, I have performed a reset, the high altitude fan is on, and it is out of warranty. I think the color wheel needs to be replaced, for the price it cost to send it to Optima I should just go buy a new one. I have called the projector stores near me and cannot find someone willing to sell me a color wheel or fix the projector. Can anyone help me out?

You looked at the colowheel and none of the glass pieces were broken? If so it could be the main video board. Still not great

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #3250 of 3999 Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
You looked at the colowheel and none of the glass pieces were broken? If so it could be the main video board. Still not great
I saw no issues with the color wheel, all the glass pieces were in perfect order and no obstructions, my husband was thinking that the color wheel might have a syncing issue. However, it could be the video board.... Why is it that the expensive toys always break at the worst times? Oh, well thank you for your help.
post #3251 of 3999 Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since the colorwheel is ok a cheap solution is to look on ebay for a HD20 with a busted colorwheel for say $40 or less. Then swap out the video boards, or light chamber. Insides of a PJ consist of a ballast, power supply, video boards, light chamber, colorwheel.

I see couple of for parts HD20's went off on Ebay last week, kinda high at $300. Both of these had either bad ballast or bad power supply. Broken ones should be cheaper than that. Optom might fix the projector for $300 or less. A video board is a cheaper item. Light chamber is the most expensive.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #3252 of 3999 Old 09-04-2011, 12:29 AM

I talked to Optoma, it is $200 just to send it to them and then if what you say it right another $350 to fix it. There was a fee for the tech too but I forgot it. In the end, I would have paid over $600 for a projector with a 90-day warranty. At that price, I should just get a new one.
post #3253 of 3999 Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

Knolan33,

What mount is that. Looks much better thank my cheapo monoprice mount.

Got the mount off Ebay...paid about $30...universal mount. Only thing missing on it is a left/right tilt. It's from Tyger Claw.

Knolan 33

post #3254 of 3999 Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM

I just ordered one off of amazon yesterday! I'm glad to join the club, pics to come soon...
post #3255 of 3999 Old 09-06-2011, 12:02 PM

So I read like almost every single post in this thread and haven't really been able to find what size filters people are using on the HD20. I've seen people saying 58mm all the way to 77mm.

Any one have any images of the filter actually on the projector? And what size they are using?

Compared to everyoen here i'm going to have a small 73 inch screen. So I purchased a grey draper screen and I think a ND filter to cut down extra light for this small size. Does that make sense? I'm new the projection world but seems like the HD20 is a light canon that might be overkill for 73 inches.

--- John Lennon
post #3256 of 3999 Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O and A View Post

So I read like almost every single post in this thread and haven't really been able to find what size filters people are using on the HD20. I've seen people saying 58mm all the way to 77mm.

Any one have any images of the filter actually on the projector? And what size they are using?

Compared to everyoen here i'm going to have a small 73 inch screen. So I purchased a grey draper screen and I think a ND filter to cut down extra light for this small size. Does that make sense? I'm new the projection world but seems like the HD20 is a light canon that might be overkill for 73 inches.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353118

use the 77mm it fits perfectly right over the outer edge of the focus ring.
post #3257 of 3999 Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream puff View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1353118

use the 77mm it fits perfectly right over the outer edge of the focus ring.

Thanks cream puff, i saw taht post but was hoping to see an image of the filter fitted on the lens to see how well it fits.

But you've assured me it works so thanks
Will probably pick up a B+W nd filter.

--- John Lennon
post #3258 of 3999 Old 09-10-2011, 11:33 AM

I bought the hd20 and mount is on the way. Should I mount the projector on the ceiling first and then mount the roll down screen?

Can anyone recommend a affordable manual roll down screen, 92inches - 100ish inches? It must be able to ship to Canada.

Thanks.
post #3259 of 3999 Old 09-10-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A Dalite model B with mat white surface. Good solid screen and you won't see waves in video with this low priced non tensioned pull down. I used google to locate Dalite dealers in Canada they're there.

Oh only matt white don't pick the high contrast or spectra or the others, go with the MW.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #3260 of 3999 Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks cream puff, i saw taht post but was hoping to see an image of the filter fitted on the lens to see how well it fits.

But you've assured me it works so thanks
Will probably pick up a B+W nd filter.

Just got my filter today. The same one listed by CreamPuff. The China 77mm ND2 filter off ebay for about $10 shipped.

The outside rim faces the HD20 and it way too loose to hold onto the HD20 on it's own. It doesn't grab mine even a little bit. For the pic is is only balanced on there because my HD20 is so level. I had to use tape on it to hold it in place. I used low adhesion tape to not leave sticky stuff behind if I take it off.

ND2 barely drops the brightness for me. I have a 125" 1.0 gain white screen in a dark light controlled room. Bulb on low. It's an improvement and just watched a movie with a lot of light and dark scenes and the whites seemed plenty bright while the darks were improved. Though still not as black as the shadow my hand produces on the screen.

With a white screen, I am tempted to try an ND4 filter. But I like it with and without the ND2 filter. So I will likely just leave this on there for now.

post #3261 of 3999 Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

xenon you did you math wrong. Ten 30 minute sessions rounded upto an hour each is 10 hours. Not 300 hours.

lol. Yeah... so ten 30 mins sessions could look like 10 hours instead of the 5 actual hours it was on.

I just looked at my hours. 511 hours and I have owned the HD20 since March 2010. Feels like I use it more than that. Though I only use it for xbox 360 and PS3 gaming, PS3 DVD and BD movies, and HTPC movies/media. No TV or STB. Then again, we don't want TV on our LCD TV either. All displays have a HTPC on them for online and local network media.
post #3262 of 3999 Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
k-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

I saw this same deal as well. I am tempted to get this but am torn between this and the HC4000. For the price though I don't think anything can beat it. Any thoughts? I will probably use an ND2 filter to reduce the bleeding.

For a background on my current setup:
Media Room dimensions: 17'6" (W) x 15' (Depth) x 9' (Height)
Throw from projector to wall: ~14'6" (Or whatever the dimension of the projector is) I will be mounting the projector on a shelf about 8' off of the ground at most.

Ideally I would want a screen size of at least 110'. The room is light controlled and I will mainly be watching HD content (TV shows) 50%; Sports (Football/Basketball) 30%; Blu-ray rips on HTPC 20%.

I have almost the same dimensions as utee05 and at a throw distance of 15', the HD20 projects a 136" diagonal image. The HD20 is mounted on a shelf about 5' off the ground, and I had to tilt the PJ down a bit for the image to be flush with the top of my ceiling molding.

I found a smoking deal on a Da-Lite motorized 120" screen.

From the veterans, what's typically the order in which you design your room?

Do you find a desirable mounting platform/location first, then determine how big an image you want, then mark off the image dimensions and that determines where you'll mount your screen? I suppose I can adjust the zoom so my current image comes down to 120".
post #3263 of 3999 Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
lol. Yeah... so ten 30 mins sessions could look like 10 hours instead of the 5 actual hours it was on.

I just looked at my hours. 511 hours and I have owned the HD20 since March 2010. Feels like I use it more than that. Though I only use it for xbox 360 and PS3 gaming, PS3 DVD and BD movies, and HTPC movies/media. No TV or STB. Then again, we don't want TV on our LCD TV either. All displays have a HTPC on them for online and local network media.
Just looked last night on mine, up to 40 hours in a little over a month.
But I've been using to show people and also NFL just started. Still haven't played the Xbox on it (still waiting for my HDMI booster to come in).

Been debating on keeping my rear projection 51" or not...just so big and I have to move it back and forth every time we use the PJ.
Almost tempted to just use the PJ for everything...as most of it will be either Netflix and media on the Xbox or NHL and NFL in HD.

Knolan 33

post #3264 of 3999 Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, in less than a month and a half, I have put over 100 hours of use on my HD20! I have got to the point where I pretty much use it for everything.

My lens came in the mail Saturday, but I didn't see it until I checked the mail this morning, so hopefully, I will get a chance to try it out tonight!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #3265 of 3999 Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-y View Post

I have almost the same dimensions as utee05 and at a throw distance of 15', the HD20 projects a 136" diagonal image. The HD20 is mounted on a shelf about 5' off the ground, and I had to tilt the PJ down a bit for the image to be flush with the top of my ceiling molding.

I found a smoking deal on a Da-Lite motorized 120" screen.

From the veterans, what's typically the order in which you design your room?

Do you find a desirable mounting platform/location first, then determine how big an image you want, then mark off the image dimensions and that determines where you'll mount your screen? I suppose I can adjust the zoom so my current image comes down to 120".

HD20 is a fixed offset projector. Setting it on a shelf will point the image up at the ceiling. You would need to mount it upside down. Though some have literally set PJs upsidedown on soft material. But I don't recommend that and it would make the PJ next to impossible to fine tune placement.

Being that the HD20 is a fixed offset projector. It has no optical lens shift. I would first start with the Projector Calculator.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

It will show you tons of info for the planning stage. Such as the offset measurement based on image size and projector distance.

Steps in general that I like to follow with fixed offset projectors:
1. Projector Calculator for planning.
2. Mount the PJ so that hopefully you are not at either zoom extreme to get your desired screen size. Having some zoom range left for final adjustment is nice.
3. Project and full blank output. I just use the default PJ blue "no source" or built in test image so I don't have to deal with cables yet.
4. Tape on wall where the projected image falls.
5. Use the taped area to mark the exact center line from left to right.
6. Buy or Make the screen and mount it. based on found center line and top edge.

My last screen was a "floating" screen about 8" from the wall. So I had some extra steps involved. But if you mounting your screen right at the wall with either a fixed or pull down screen, those steps work great for me with fixed offset projectors.

if you are doing a pull down screen that will be far from the wall, use the numbers from the calculator and still mount the PJ first. And still use a middle zoom range, mount the screen and adjust.
post #3266 of 3999 Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

FYI, low adhesion tape is a no go. Overnight I found my ND2 filter on the carpet. So normal tape it is. I still wish it was tight fitting so I didn't need the tape.
post #3267 of 3999 Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Is the filter basically the equivalent of having a grey screen? I watched 2001 a space...again last night and I'm not sure they can get any darker.

This was after the JETS game BTW
post #3268 of 3999 Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 AM
k-y

Quote:

HD20 is a fixed offset projector. Setting it on a shelf will point the image up at the ceiling. You would need to mount it upside down. Though some have literally set PJs upsidedown on soft material. But I don't recommend that and it would make the PJ next to impossible to fine tune placement.

Yep, since writing, I tried turning the PJ upside down and the image was no longer pointed up at the ceiling, and I didn't have to tilt it down. However, it's not stable, and I wouldn't leave it in that position. I am tempted to mount it upside down using a mount and mount it to another shelf higher up on the wall.
post #3269 of 3999 Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:

FYI, low adhesion tape is a no go. Overnight I found my ND2 filter on the carpet. So normal tape it is. I still wish it was tight fitting so I didn't need the tape.

i used 2 1 inch or so strips of electrical tape, one top one bottom. hasnt moved since
post #3270 of 3999 Old 09-12-2011, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Electrical tape was the first thing I tried. Was on the floor the next day with sticky residue on the projector. If you have a hot glue gun, a little on the inside rim works fine and won't interfere with the lens at all. Very easy to remove later too.
Really liking the improvement! Thanks for the tip CP
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page