post #3301 of 4008 Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

Not sure I follow. Are you saying you have a single 50ft cable that is not long enough so you use 1 or 2 repeaters? Or are you saying that 50ft "of" cable reaches your projector? If so, I am sure your issue would be solved with a single 50ft 22ga thick cable and no repeaters.

It sounds like he has a 50ft cable, but is having problems with his Xbox signal. He has tried two different repeaters to boost the signal to no avail.

Not sure the repeater will have much effect, since its at either end of the 50ft run. What you may want to do is get a higher quality cable than the one you're currently using, as Xenon suggests.

Is 50 ft the shortest run you can use? How far away is the projector? Mine is 16 feet away and I'm able to use a 30ft monoprice cable, with absolutely zero issues. It even has a 6ft connection on both ends (wall plates), for a total of 42 feet with two connectors.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 4008 Old 10-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I dont see what the Xbox settings are. I think that's the issue and they need to be posted.

Reset it to default http://support.xbox.com:80/en-US/xbo...oot/kb/xbox-kb

See if it works. Or try basic settings.

Console setting
- HDTV: 480
- Reference: standard
- HDMI color space: Source

I tried HDMI amplified switch from monoprice. Horrible results. I ended up buying a new pioneer AVR and all worked out.
post #3303 of 4008 Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

I dont see what the Xbox settings are. I think that's the issue and they need to be posted.

Reset it to default http://support.xbox.com:80/en-US/xbo...oot/kb/xbox-kb

See if it works. Or try basic settings.

Console setting
- HDTV: 480
- Reference: standard
- HDMI color space: Source

I tried HDMI amplified switch from monoprice. Horrible results. I ended up buying a new pioneer AVR and all worked out.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I have this one, works like a charm with my xbox and HD20
post #3304 of 4008 Old 10-01-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

So speaking of video games. I just tried hooking up my Nintendo 64 directly to the composite input, and I get nothing. I get audio out of my stereo, so I know that the Nintendo is on, but its not getting a video signal. Worked fine on another TV.

I did a google search, and it appears someone else had the same question earlier in this thread, but it was never resolved. I could find no other info on this. Anyone else get their Nintendo 64 to work?

post #3305 of 4008 Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 PM

hard to say... If you had a receiver that did video upscaling then I bet it would work..
post #3306 of 4008 Old 10-01-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post

hard to say... If you had a receiver that did video upscaling then I bet it would work..

Well yeah.

Don't have one.

post #3307 of 4008 Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

So speaking of video games. I just tried hooking up my Nintendo 64 directly to the composite input, and I get nothing. I get audio out of my stereo, so I know that the Nintendo is on, but its not getting a video signal. Worked fine on another TV.

I did a google search, and it appears someone else had the same question earlier in this thread, but it was never resolved. I could find no other info on this. Anyone else get their Nintendo 64 to work?

Lol N64.... Just let it die! Its not as fun as you remember. I have one with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and Mario Kart. Its has nearly unplayable graphics and its incredibly repetitive.
post #3308 of 4008 Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Nope, the N64 via composite will not work with the HD20. Sorry. You either need to buy an S-video cable for your N64, an AVr or other signal converter.
post #3309 of 4008 Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggoodin View Post

Lol N64.... Just let it die! Its not as fun as you remember. I have one with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and Mario Kart. Its has nearly unplayable graphics and its incredibly repetitive.

Looked just fine on my 56" HDTV (and my 27" sdtv) when I played Goldeneye yesterday. Nostalgia is great!

post #3310 of 4008 Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:

It sounds like he has a 50ft cable, but is having problems with his Xbox signal. He has tried two different repeaters to boost the signal to no avail.

Not sure the repeater will have much effect, since its at either end of the 50ft run. What you may want to do is get a higher quality cable than the one you're currently using, as Xenon suggests.

Is 50 ft the shortest run you can use? How far away is the projector? Mine is 16 feet away and I'm able to use a 30ft monoprice cable, with absolutely zero issues. It even has a 6ft connection on both ends (wall plates), for a total of 42 feet with two connectors.

I have a 50ft cable (due to the fact I couldn't pass the cable in the ceiling the whole way...finished ceiling and not enough space to pass it). Otherwise I could have used a 30ft even 25ft no problems. And I had to use a repeater to boost the signal from the Xbox...the dish worked fine but the Xbox signal was full of noise. So now I have a 3ft cable from the Xbox to a hdmi switch...50ft to the repeater and a 6ft to the HD20.
The picture is good...but on fully black screen such a Gears startup...you can see small lines in the screen...now it's not visible during game play or movies...but I'm wondering just how much quality I'm losing due to this.

Like I said I'd debating on trying the Xbox with a short cable to see if this still occurs...if so. Well then I'll have try and find a solution. The cable doesn't seem to be the issue as I had no problems with the dish signal.

The Xbox is an older 60gig unit as well...could be an issue, but I'm going to try different things to see what I can get out of it.

Knolan 33
Only live once...make the most of it

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339145
post #3311 of 4008 Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Hello! please help me
is this video noise normal? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6r3aJmEIyo
it is highly noticeable on grey color, even without any input it has same noise on menu
post #3312 of 4008 Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfazzer View Post

Hello! please help me
it is highly noticeable on grey color, even without any input it has same noise on menu

Are you talking about the sparkles?
post #3313 of 4008 Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Are you talking about the sparkles?

Yes, it is has size of one pixel, and flashing very fast
post #3314 of 4008 Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is has size of one pixel, and flashing very fast

Its a bad HDMI cable I have a 3ft monoprice HDMI thats a sparkle cable.
post #3315 of 4008 Old 10-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Its a bad HDMI cable I have a 3ft monoprice HDMI thats a sparkle cable.

but even when i disconnect hdmi it is the same
post #3316 of 4008 Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:

but even when i disconnect hdmi it is the same

Better close your eyes!
post #3317 of 4008 Old 10-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Better close your eyes!

what do you mean?
post #3318 of 4008 Old 10-09-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:

what do you mean?

If it isn't the cable its the unit. Firmware is only available from Optoma if you ship it in.
post #3319 of 4008 Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello! please help me

As many have already said. Yes, it is normal. The little fire fly like noise is normal and common of many low cost and even higher cost DLP projectors.

Now the moving bars is not normal. But I suspect that is simply the refresh rate of the camera and projector fighting each other.

But also notice how close you have to get to see that noise. I NEVER see it on my 125" screen at normal seating distance. I too have to be about 2 feet from it in person to see it.

I would be shocked if any firmware would change it as it's heavily part of the video processor and likely the chipset not firmware.

FYI, I have seen this digital noise on many projectors for years. But remember, you shouldn't notice or even be able to pick it out from normal viewing distance. If you do, I would adjust your settings because you likely have sharpness and/or brightness too high.
post #3320 of 4008 Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 AM

I realize there is a sale section here, but I figured it would be most productive to post here.

I have an optoma HD20 for sale! it has 55 hours on it, and was purchased right around two months ago. My wife has changed her mind about our basement set up, and I'm going to have to get an 8350 for lens shift to keep my theater.

there is nothing wrong with this projector, well taken care of, no scuffs, drops, or anything bad has happened to it. comes with everything, cord, remote, box, etc. I'm entertaining offers, anything reasonable will be accepted. if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

I know the hd20 is a great budget choice, its why I bought it, but if here is your chance to be even more economical and help out a fellow member at the same time!

*EDIT*
I didn't realize you had to pay to list an item for sale, out of courtesy to the community I have purchased an ad in the appropriate section as well. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=16374
post #3321 of 4008 Old 10-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I recently bought a HD20 and am looking to mount it on the wall. I've vaulted ceiling, and can't mount it on there as i also have a ceiling fan. What wall mounts have you guys used? I bought a Vantage Point CGUPM6 from frys but it didn't work. It sucks that almost no other retail stores carry projector mounts here in dallas metroplex.
So can anyone recommend any good wall projector mounts?
post #3322 of 4008 Old 10-13-2011, 07:02 AM

Well I have order an adapter for the HDMI switch to see what this will do, and I also did some calibration finally last night.
Used the one from "custard" or something like that. Seems to have help the "noise" pixels I was seeing, but now I find it is almost to "black" on the blacks. Might have to play around with a little more, could just be that the brightness was just to high from what it is now...went from 50 OTB to 38 with the calibration.

Knolan 33

post #3323 of 4008 Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix View Post

I've vaulted ceiling, and can't mount it on there as i also have a ceiling fan.

Why would that stop you?
http://www.projectorsuperstore.com/images/UPM50.jpg
Most wall mounts for inverted setups I've seen are regular ceiling mounts with some sort of DIY bracket to hang it off the wall.
post #3324 of 4008 Old 10-13-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechbeav View Post

Why would that stop you?
http://www.projectorsuperstore.com/images/UPM50.jpg
Most wall mounts for inverted setups I've seen are regular ceiling mounts with some sort of DIY bracket to hang it off the wall.

My room is fairly small ... with a throw distance of 14'. And my screen is 92". So i want the projector to be as far back as possible. And i've a inwall speaker installed in the vaulted ceiling just above the place where i want to wall mount my projector. So if i try to mount it on the ceiling, i'll be hanging it right in front of the speaker ... so thought wall mount is my best option.
post #3325 of 4008 Old 10-13-2011, 04:51 PM

Liked: 11
Cacophonix - that sounds reasonable, but 14ft throw won't work. With a 92" 16x9 screen the max throw distance for the HD20 is 12 ft.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm
For the inverted wall mount I would install a shelf and use a ceiling mount below it.
post #3326 of 4008 Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I recently bought a HD20 and am looking to mount it on the wall. I've vaulted ceiling, and can't mount it on there as i also have a ceiling fan. What wall mounts have you guys used? I bought a Vantage Point CGUPM6 from frys but it didn't work. It sucks that almost no other retail stores carry projector mounts here in dallas metroplex.

As others have said, 14' is too far for a 92" screen. User the Projector Central calculator.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

The HD20, like many low cost DLP projectors; does not have lens shift and the zoom range is tiny.

With a 92" screen, I would recommend putting the HD20 as close to the screen as possible and putting it on a coffee table. For 92" screen you can put it 10' away. Of course that would put your large seating at the back of the room and then split seating to both sides of the projector.

The projector will always project upwards. So either close to the ceiling or close to the floor are your only options and little variation in distance from the screen.
post #3327 of 4008 Old 10-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Not that you'll use this mount in your situation but just wanted to point out that this mount works perfect with the HD20.
http://www.mountdirect.com/NPL_Proje...nt_p/npl_w.htm

It's solid and easy to adjust and level. If you ever move your projector where you can use a ceiling mount you can just reuse this one by simply not using the elbow.
post #3328 of 4008 Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 PM

Yes I have the same issue. I just bought the HD200-X from Costco, replacing an older Toshiba model. I am frustrated with 2 things:

1) trying to find a ceiling mount that actually fits and works. The mounting holes are 3mm (small) and the configuration is a small triangle, which most mounts are too big to even fit the mounting holes. I found a mount that works, but the adjustments are brutal.

2) I too see horizontal lines when I have a black screen or when I plug in my wii console. I googled the issue and a lot of discussion came up about checking the ground or wire connections. But I never had this issue with my last projector. Not sure whats up. I thought maybe its my display settings but I don't think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolan33 View Post

Does anyone else see small lines when the screen is only black such as booting up a game on the Xbox?
Just like small picture lines, not noise or flickers...

post #3329 of 4008 Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 PM

xenon2000, you are absolutely right. I am new to the whole projection thing, and didn't think through. The image totally blows my mind, but the placement options are very limited. I really don't want to split my seating, and don't want to mount it in a place that people can bump into.
Maybe i should settle for the coffee table approach whenever i'm watching a movie, and keep it aside when not in use. Inconvenient, but maybe that's all i can do.
post #3330 of 4008 Old 10-19-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonk View Post

2) I too see horizontal lines when I have a black screen or when I plug in my wii console. I googled the issue and a lot of discussion came up about checking the ground or wire connections. But I never had this issue with my last projector. Not sure whats up. I thought maybe its my display settings but I don't think it is.

I actually calibrated the HD20 a bit, not sure how good it is, but it's seems to have limited the lines...
Like xenon said it seems to be extremely noticeable if the brightness and such is to high. I haven't had the chance to play around with the difference way of connecting it, as the repeater and such are in the ceiling. But once I start working on my A/V rack and such, I'll provide feedback if there is any changes

Knolan 33

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page