*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 3999 Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
xenon2000, you are absolutely right. I am new to the whole projection thing, and didn't think through. The image totally blows my mind, but the placement options are very limited. I really don't want to split my seating, and don't want to mount it in a place that people can bump into.
Maybe i should settle for the coffee table approach whenever i'm watching a movie, and keep it aside when not in use. Inconvenient, but maybe that's all i can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3999 Old 10-19-2011, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonk View Post

2) I too see horizontal lines when I have a black screen or when I plug in my wii console. I googled the issue and a lot of discussion came up about checking the ground or wire connections. But I never had this issue with my last projector. Not sure whats up. I thought maybe its my display settings but I don't think it is.

I actually calibrated the HD20 a bit, not sure how good it is, but it's seems to have limited the lines...
Like xenon said it seems to be extremely noticeable if the brightness and such is to high. I haven't had the chance to play around with the difference way of connecting it, as the repeater and such are in the ceiling. But once I start working on my A/V rack and such, I'll provide feedback if there is any changes

Knolan 33
Only live once...make the most of it

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339145
post #3333 of 3999 Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix View Post

xenon2000, you are absolutely right. I am new to the whole projection thing, and didn't think through. The image totally blows my mind, but the placement options are very limited. I really don't want to split my seating, and don't want to mount it in a place that people can bump into.
Maybe i should settle for the coffee table approach whenever i'm watching a movie, and keep it aside when not in use. Inconvenient, but maybe that's all i can do.

Yes, with limited distance and zero offset adjustments, it has to be either above the image or below the image. So those are your only options. I personally think you should spend the time to ceiling mount it. But if that just isn't an option, the table option is the only option left. And even if you had the zoom range to put it at your back wall, you would still need a large amount of lens shift and you have zero with the HD20.

LCD is really the only low cost solution for greater placement flexibility right now.
post #3334 of 3999 Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

FYI, I currently only use HDMI, VGA, and Component through an Onkyo AVR, using an HTPC, 360, PS3, and Wii. And I do not have any lines at any distance and I don't see the DLP "Sparkle" unless I am unwatchably close to the screen.
post #3335 of 3999 Old 10-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good day

My room is 10 X 13 and althought i can control ambient light the room is not totally black because of the light bleeding from the vent of the HD20.

Is there any tricks that can be done to contain the bleeding of the lamp light without jeopardizing the projector ?

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #3336 of 3999 Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon View Post

Good day

My room is 10 X 13 and althought i can control ambient light the room is not totally black because of the light bleeding from the vent of the HD20.

Is there any tricks that can be done to contain the bleeding of the lamp light without jeopardizing the projector ?

Alain <

I have said this before. The light bleed from the vents is not affecting the image contrast. Way more bounce is created from the light off the screen and the surrounding areas. Unless you literally have dark walls, floor, ceiling, furniture, and no reflective items in the room. And even then, the light bleed from the HD20 is so minimal it does not affect the image.

Here is an easy test, you temporarily block the light bleed using some cardboard or other material while you have a movie playing. I have done this test and can not see any difference on the screen.

I have ultra dark walls and furniture. But my ceiling is flat tan. Though my ceiling is also pretty far from my screen and if my ceiling was affecting my image, I would see some form of wash out that is greater at the top. And I don't.

Also, the smaller the room, the more important it is that you have dark colored walls, ceiling, and furniture.

Do the test and be satisfied; then look at the rest of the environment.
post #3337 of 3999 Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi
I am considering coming back to projectors (last one I used was an old Infocus 4805).
I will be seated about 3m from the screen, which is a hand me down manual 82" Da-lite. This will be suspended from a 3m ceiling, and the bottom of the screen will be about 90cm from the floor.

I intend to use the HD 20 on a coffee table, placed in front of my sofa.

So
How high should the table or more accurately, the HD 20 be?
If I use if on a shelf behind my sofa, is that ok and how high should it be?

Any issues with using such a temporary kind of placement?

Thanks
post #3338 of 3999 Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Hi
I am considering coming back to projectors (last one I used was an old Infocus 4805).
I will be seated about 3m from the screen, which is a hand me down manual 82" Da-lite. This will be suspended from a 3m ceiling, and the bottom of the screen will be about 90cm from the floor.

I intend to use the HD 20 on a coffee table, placed in front of my sofa.

So
How high should the table or more accurately, the HD 20 be?
If I use if on a shelf behind my sofa, is that ok and how high should it be?

Any issues with using such a temporary kind of placement?

Thanks

Man, I loved my HD70 a ton over my Infocus 4805. So you should be very happy jumping to the HD20.

If you haven't used the Projector Centrol calculator before, I would use that.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

Then once you pull up the HD20 and set it to an 82" screen, it will show you the range of distance you can place the HD20 and also show you the offset from the center of the lens to the edge of the projected image. From there, should be easy to check the height of your coffee table and where it would need to be placed and where your screen bottom would end up, etc.
post #3339 of 3999 Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks, I tried it, and it calculated that the Optoma should be 6.4" below the screen?
Since my screen ends up about 90 cm from the floor, the projector could be sited on an Ikea "Freden" shelving, directly behind my seat then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

Man, I loved my HD70 a ton over my Infocus 4805. So you should be very happy jumping to the HD20.

If you haven't used the Projector Centrol calculator before, I would use that.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

Then once you pull up the HD20 and set it to an 82" screen, it will show you the range of distance you can place the HD20 and also show you the offset from the center of the lens to the edge of the projected image. From there, should be easy to check the height of your coffee table and where it would need to be placed and where your screen bottom would end up, etc.

post #3340 of 3999 Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Thanks, I tried it, and it calculated that the Optoma should be 6.4" below the screen?
Since my screen ends up about 90 cm from the floor, the projector could be sited on an Ikea "Freden" shelving, directly behind my seat then?

I am not saying where you have to put it. But the calculator says for an 82" screen that the offset is 6.4" from lens center. And that it has to be within 8'11" to 10'9" away. You can have it below the screen or above the screen. But within those numbers.

If that means behind your seating distance, then I recommend ceiling mount. If you can not do that, then obviously you have to have no seating in the middle where the projector is casting the image.
post #3341 of 3999 Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 AM

I purchased the optoma hd20, my 84" manual pulldown screen just arrived the other day.

Question is though:

How do I mount the screen so it lines up properly with the sides of the projector image?

I already have the projector ceiling mounted but I am alittle worried that if I just try to install it that I wont line the sides of the screen up properly to the image.

Thanks.
post #3342 of 3999 Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Get a level.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #3343 of 3999 Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Can any of you HD20 owners confirm that it will or will not work with a Pioneer VSX33 AVR? My HD65 and the Pio will not work together and I'm looking for a cheap yet effective upgrade option.
post #3344 of 3999 Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJ View Post

I purchased the optoma hd20, my 84" manual pulldown screen just arrived the other day.

Question is though:

How do I mount the screen so it lines up properly with the sides of the projector image?

I already have the projector ceiling mounted but I am alittle worried that if I just try to install it that I wont line the sides of the screen up properly to the image.

Thanks.

We'll assume you already have your screen to projector distance calculated and correct so just use one of your side walls as a reference. The center of the lens to side wall measurement should equal the center of your screen to the same side wall measurement. Hope that helps.
post #3345 of 3999 Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 PM

Liked: 11
Got a question, and wondering if anyone else has noticed this before too. I'm pretty sure others have mentioned it, but can't remember...

Is anyone else finding that, depending on what unit they turn on first, the projector projects, for lack of better word, dimly? For instance, if I turn on my receiver first, and then turn on my projector (I think that's the order), the picture is fairly bright (for as many hours are on the current bulb), but if I turn the HD20 on first, and then the receiver, the image is far less bright.

I suppose the solution is to always make sure I turn on one device before the other, but does anyone know what's going on here? Why is it doing that?

Okay, that's all. Thanks.
post #3346 of 3999 Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulewis View Post

Can any of you HD20 owners confirm that it will or will not work with a Pioneer VSX33 AVR? My HD65 and the Pio will not work together and I'm looking for a cheap yet effective upgrade option.

Worked flawless with my vsx-520 and vsx-820
post #3347 of 3999 Old 11-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

Got a question, and wondering if anyone else has noticed this before too. I'm pretty sure others have mentioned it, but can't remember...

Is anyone else finding that, depending on what unit they turn on first, the projector projects, for lack of better word, dimly? For instance, if I turn on my receiver first, and then turn on my projector (I think that's the order), the picture is fairly bright (for as many hours are on the current bulb), but if I turn the HD20 on first, and then the receiver, the image is far less bright.

I suppose the solution is to always make sure I turn on one device before the other, but does anyone know what's going on here? Why is it doing that?

Okay, that's all. Thanks.

I have been in this thread pretty much from the beginning and I don't recall ever hearing that issue. My HD20 does not act like that.

My HD20 and previous HD70 and the Mitsubishi DLPs at work all project dimly for about 30 secs (would need to time) and then go bright and then it searches for the source and projects the source image. And all of these do so regardless of my AVRs in place or not. Turned on first or not. Source available or not, and regardless of the type of source.

Maybe I am misinterpreting your issue. Maybe you are saying that you do have the dim->bright startup with the logo->source process like the rest of us. But that when it's in the fully started up mode with the source projected that it continues to be dimmer unless you have your AVR and source on first?

When you think it's dimmer, have you checked to see if there is a variation in the bulb brightness mode? And that AI is off?
post #3348 of 3999 Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJ View Post

Question is though:

Thanks.

I am probably stating the obvious, but make sure you projector is on while you use 2 people or more, to hold up the extended screen and mark your locations for mounting. Also make sure you are not at full zoom in or out. You will want to be able to have at least some zoom to bleed into the black border a little if you need to.

If you are directly mounting the pull down screen to the wall or ceiling, that will certainly make it easier then if the "box" is hanging from the ceiling.
post #3349 of 3999 Old 11-13-2011, 08:04 AM

Hi everyone. I bought my first projector this week and finally got it installed. It was a refurb unit from Consignia with a two year extended warranty.

I noticed a few things though. 1) it is almost impossible to get perfect focus on the entire image when I am using the projector as a text reading screen on the web.
2) The bottom left corner is darker than rest of the image (I have it mounted upside down at the top of the room)

Any ideas or is this just normal? I can live with it, it isn't terrible. Although the focus problem is annoying. I am using it in my bedroom with a 73" screen and 8ft throw distance.
post #3350 of 3999 Old 11-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy2sl0 View Post

Hi everyone. I bought my first projector this week and finally got it installed. It was a refurb unit from Consignia with a two year extended warranty.

I noticed a few things though. 1) it is almost impossible to get perfect focus on the entire image when I am using the projector as a text reading screen on the web.

Are you using a PC to read text off the web, or are you getting on the web some other way? For a PC loaded with Windows you might want to tweak your ClearType Text settings. It won't affect the focus on the screen, but it should help make text easier to read even if the focus is a little off. If that doesn't work, you might need to readjust the placement of the projector a bit to get better focus across the image.
post #3351 of 3999 Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

Are you using a PC to read text off the web, or are you getting on the web some other way? For a PC loaded with Windows you might want to tweak your ClearType Text settings. It won't affect the focus on the screen, but it should help make text easier to read even if the focus is a little off. If that doesn't work, you might need to readjust the placement of the projector a bit to get better focus across the image.

I have moved the projector around, but I can't get perfect focus. The way the focus is working, is either the Top left is in perfect focus, or the bottom right is in perfect focus. I know my screen isn't 110% flat, but even against my wall the same problem is there, just not quite as bad.

Could it be a lens issue? Or is this just normal?
post #3352 of 3999 Old 11-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Does anyone have any screen shots of Hockey on thier HD20?
post #3353 of 3999 Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I have moved the projector around, but I can't get perfect focus. The way the focus is working, is either the Top left is in perfect focus, or the bottom right is in perfect focus. I know my screen isn't 110% flat, but even against my wall the same problem is there, just not quite as bad.

Could it be a lens issue? Or is this just normal?

What browser are you using? Chrome looks like its made for reading on massive screens. IE is OK and Firefox blows on the big screen for readability.
post #3354 of 3999 Old 11-13-2011, 07:13 PM

It isnt to the point of where I can't read, it is just soft. I can tell in Windows or anywhere there is text. If you just watched movies, I would venture that 90% of people wouldn't notice this. However if you are watching 1080p content and like your image sharp like I do, its definetly noticeable.
post #3355 of 3999 Old 11-13-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

It isnt to the point of where I can't read, it is just soft. I can tell in Windows or anywhere there is text. If you just watched movies, I would venture that 90% of people wouldn't notice this. However if you are watching 1080p content and like your image sharp like I do, its definetly noticeable.

Check the resolution your computer is pumping out. If its not 1920x1080, it needs to be.

Also, 73" is the maximum size at full zoom for an 8' throw distance. At that zoom, you have absolutely no margin for focus. I would try and do a smaller screen or see if you can move the projector back. For 8', you should be aiming for 67".

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...calculator.htm

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #3356 of 3999 Old 11-14-2011, 05:23 AM

Yes I understand that. There is however a problem with the lens that is only focuses the top right or bottom left though. Even with zero zoom, the problem is still present.
post #3357 of 3999 Old 11-14-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local5o View Post

Does anyone have any screen shots of Hockey on thier HD20?

No but I can get some next broadcast. What are you looking for?
post #3358 of 3999 Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 AM

HYPER---Just getting ready to pull the trigger on an HD20 and would love to see some hockey pics. It will be used mainly for me and the guys watching Red Wings and my son and his friends with PS3. Occasional movie as well. Any pics would be great. Also screen recommendations would be great. Thanks!!!
post #3359 of 3999 Old 11-15-2011, 05:07 AM

Hockey looks fantastic, however the Hd20 won't make your red wings look any better :-)

A lot has to do with your room dynamics too. You need to give more info or tell us if you've looked into what you need to have a projector friendly environment.

I just used a painted DIY screen.
post #3360 of 3999 Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 PM

Hyper---prob gonna do the painted screen as well, but not sure yet. The room is around 19x19 with decent light control and 8' ceiling.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page