*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3421 of 3999 Old 12-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if I can use my HD65 mount with the HD20?It would be nice if I could keep from buying a new mount but not sure if it will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3999 Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post

Does anyone know if I can use my HD65 mount with the HD20?It would be nice if I could keep from buying a new mount but not sure if it will work.

If you can, you will have to move the mount and possibly the screen too as the HD65 has less zoom and a different image offset than the HD20.

From the HD20 manual, it uses Three M3 size screws. Max length 10mm, min 7.5mm

Page 46 of the manual has the placement of the hole listed with a pic and measurements. Download the PDF from Optoma and check out page 46. I am sure the HD65 manual has a similar page to reference.

But basically it's a triangle formation with 110mm between the back 2 screws. And 82.3mm between the back 2 screws and the front single screw.
post #3423 of 3999 Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonb View Post

Great group here...
I bought my HD20 from Best Buy on no % credit deal for $1200 or something after everything.. Have been very happy with it..
I liked it so much, when I moved over here temp in GTMO, I bought another one on Ebay for $550 ;-) Took a chance... and happy I did.

Having problems with this one when using Composite In for Cable TV..After 15-20min, the projector just powers completely off. No fan/no lights. Unplugging resolves this... but this can't go on. When this happens, It's not cooling the bulb down like it needs to.
Has oneone heard of this? How do I check the firmware?
(I don't have OVERPRICE proprietary remote. Would have to do it through buttons on unit. I have it set to turn off at signal timeout. I also have AI on.)

Has ANYONE heard of a leaked firmware? I'm sure a HD20x would work. I can't believe that hasn't happened by now. Seems Optima dropped the ball on supporting HD20. I remember hearing talk about firmware 3D capabilities. Maybe it was Optima to push their inventory before newer models release. Surprised no one has successfully connected a USB and investigated what is pulled.

What is the most current Firmware?

Thanks..

What is the most current firmware.... well, since it's not posted for download, only Optoma would know that answer 100%. I heard that Optoma has to do it because there is some type of color wheel calibration after the firmware update. At least that is what they said when I sent mine in for a firmware update when I first bought the projector. But that could be bogus. Though if the end user could easily apply updates, I don't understand why they would block HD20 updates from being posted when they allow a few of their projectors to be updated by end users. So maybe there is more to it than just a USB cable and firmware updater.

I wouldn't mind so much sending it in for updates if I didn't have to pay for the shipping. I didn't have to pay last time because it was with Costco and within 90 days of buying it. But they said normally I would have to pay to ship it to them. Which is lame for just a firmware update.
post #3424 of 3999 Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 AM

picked one of these up a couple weeks ago off of newegg for our basement, loving it so far, i think my biggest issue is getting it lined up with the screen

probably need to move the ceiling mount over about a half a foot
post #3425 of 3999 Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

What is the most current firmware.... well, since it's not posted for download, only Optoma would know that answer 100%. I heard that Optoma has to do it because there is some type of color wheel calibration after the firmware update. At least that is what they said when I sent mine in for a firmware update when I first bought the projector. But that could be bogus. Though if the end user could easily apply updates, I don't understand why they would block HD20 updates from being posted when they allow a few of their projectors to be updated by end users. So maybe there is more to it than just a USB cable and firmware updater.

I wouldn't mind so much sending it in for updates if I didn't have to pay for the shipping. I didn't have to pay last time because it was with Costco and within 90 days of buying it. But they said normally I would have to pay to ship it to them. Which is lame for just a firmware update.

Thanks for the feedback...
I imagine there is a way to maneuver in the menu to get firmware revision. Shipping it to Optima would not be a good option for me.
post #3426 of 3999 Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM

post #3427 of 3999 Old 12-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:

If you can, you will have to move the mount and possibly the screen too as the HD65 has less zoom and a different image offset than the HD20.

From the HD20 manual, it uses Three M3 size screws. Max length 10mm, min 7.5mm

Page 46 of the manual has the placement of the hole listed with a pic and measurements. Download the PDF from Optoma and check out page 46. I am sure the HD65 manual has a similar page to reference.

But basically it's a triangle formation with 110mm between the back 2 screws. And 82.3mm between the back 2 screws and the front single screw.

How much image offset difference is there between the two?I'm hoping not a whole lot.
post #3428 of 3999 Old 12-22-2011, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonb View Post

Thanks for the feedback...
I imagine there is a way to maneuver in the menu to get firmware revision. Shipping it to Optima would not be a good option for me.

Sure, I can navigate and tell you what version of firmware my HD20 has. But I know it's not the latest. And I certainly would not be able to extract the firmware without special software and drivers to talk to it. I have done custom roms with Android, and other firmware work and I don't know of any tools available to even attempt anything with the HD20. Plus I would not be willing to be the first to try with my HD20.

So unless you find someone that has figured out how to extract and re-apply a firmware and also has the latest firmware themselves; your only option is to send it in. And if Optoma wasn't lying, then you would also need to calibrate the color wheel.

Maybe I missed it; but what is wrong with your HD20 that makes you believe you need a newer firmware?
post #3429 of 3999 Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post

How much image offset difference is there between the two?I'm hoping not a whole lot.

You are better off going to the Projector Central calculator yourself, as that is all I am doing. If I remember right, at 10 ft away there was a 1.5" difference. Also, the HD65 mounting holes may not be in the same location which could change the lens centering as well.
post #3430 of 3999 Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 AM

Ok I checked it out and looks like I'm good,only 1.6 inch difference at the distance I'm using.It turns out I can use the mount for my 65 too so that's good news.I'm looking forward to getting it tomorrow I've missed my 65,been about 7 months since I've had a projector and I've never even seen one in 1080p.
post #3431 of 3999 Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 PM

Well I got my hd20 today and I'm watching it now,quite an upgrade from the hd65 if you ask me,loving it so far.I still need to run my calibration disc but I'm impressed so far,I used the same mount I was using for my hd65 and the best part is that I didn't even have to move it,just plugged in the hdmi and the power cord and raise the extension a bit and I'm in business.
post #3432 of 3999 Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 PM

Liked: 11
Hey folks. Need some advice.

Tonight I replaced the dimming bulb in my HD20 with a new one I got on ebay (just the bulb, not the housing). The picture is much brighter now, but at the top of my screen there's a multi-colored spot about the size of my fist that I can only really see on white backgrounds. I was pretty careful taking it apart and putting it together again, but I didn't use gloves to replace the lamp like some folks recommend. Could the spot be caused by touching the housing lens by accident? Or is it a color wheel issue maybe? I remember seeing something similar looking to this spot right before I sent my projector to Optoma to get cleaned the first time it started malfunctioning, and I never got into the projector then...

Anyways, any help that can be offered is appreciated.
post #3433 of 3999 Old 12-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Okay i am having problems with my Optima HD20 Projector. I bought it refurbished. It worked great for about a year has about 2500 hours on bulb now. When i turn it on it works great color is great and picture is great, but after about 15-20 mins the color starts to look like it has high contrast or something and it starts looking greenish purple. If i leave it on it will start to flicker and color will be all over the place like rainbow... Anyone know what this might be? What could i do to fix it?

Thank you!

Will post images soon.

When I first turn on its perfect.

After 15-20 mins i get this.
post #3434 of 3999 Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda856 View Post

So BB is going to charge 1099? Disappointing... guess I'll take a try online.

Amazon has it for $899, and apparently you can get one refurbished for $699 with free shipping.
post #3435 of 3999 Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m335i View Post

Okay i am having problems with my Optima HD20 Projector. I bought it refurbished. It worked great for about a year has about 2500 hours on bulb now. When i turn it on it works great color is great and picture is great, but after about 15-20 mins the color starts to look like it has high contrast or something and it starts looking greenish purple. If i leave it on it will start to flicker and color will be all over the place like rainbow... Anyone know what this might be? What could i do to fix it?

Thank you!

What happens if you turn on High Altitude? Could be that its getting hot because of accumulated dust.
post #3436 of 3999 Old 12-27-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

What happens if you turn on High Altitude? Could be that its getting hot because of accumulated dust.

when i put the bulb on high it gets worse and color gets bad fast.
post #3437 of 3999 Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tonight I replaced the dimming bulb in my HD20 with a new one I got on ebay (just the bulb, not the housing). The picture is much brighter now, but at the top of my screen there's a multi-colored spot about the size of my fist that I can only really see on white backgrounds. I was pretty careful taking it apart and putting it together again, but I didn't use gloves to replace the lamp like some folks recommend. Could the spot be caused by touching the housing lens by accident? Or is it a color wheel issue maybe? I remember seeing something similar looking to this spot right before I sent my projector to Optoma to get cleaned the first time it started malfunctioning, and I never got into the projector then...

No way it's the color wheel. It is most certainly the bulb and housing swap. The real question is whether you can really do anything about it. It's very unlikely that any finger oil would cause a concentrated coloration. But the oil would cause the bulb to fail early if not cleaned off really well during assembly. So unfortunately you need to mess with the bulb/housing to affect it. Seeing that the housing and bulb was the last thing changed, it's mostly likely just that.
post #3438 of 3999 Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

when i put the bulb on high it gets worse and color gets bad fast.

High Altitude mode is completely different than Bulb on high. There is actually a setting for High Altitude and it runs the fan at high speed due to less air at high altitude. Though I think much earlier in this huge thread people had to send in their units for repair when this happens.
post #3439 of 3999 Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:

No way it's the color wheel. It is most certainly the bulb and housing swap. The real question is whether you can really do anything about it. It's very unlikely that any finger oil would cause a concentrated coloration. But the oil would cause the bulb to fail early if not cleaned off really well during assembly. So unfortunately you need to mess with the bulb/housing to affect it. Seeing that the housing and bulb was the last thing changed, it's mostly likely just that.

Well its good to know that it probably has nothing to do with the color wheel (didn't know if dust could slide back in there and cause the issue I'm describing). I opened it back up recently and blew it out with a can of compressed air, but it didn't have any effect. I guess I'll try swapping the old bulb back in and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the help.
post #3440 of 3999 Old 01-03-2012, 04:56 PM

Does anyone know where I can buy a longer power cable I need to run it like 6 ft extra. And don't want to use a extension cord. Anyone know what the specs are for this cable or if mono price has em. Thx
post #3441 of 3999 Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Thank you!

Mine (just over 3000 lamp hours, 6 of those 'bright') has started doing similar. Colors are clipping. At first I thought it was an issue with certain broadcasts because it only happened and was apparent on deep reds (like those commonly seen on a certain network's Sunday evening cartoons). It slowly got worse and became more apparent. Lowering the brightness and/or R/G/B gain/bias settings made it less so, leading me to believe that there is clipping occurring in the circuitry that does the balancing/biasing (analog?). I tried recalibrating it and this didn't help (in fact, it seemed the reds were way off and the other colors were off a bit as well). Shutting it, letting it cool, blowing out the dust, then bringing it back up didn't appear to help much either. Resetting factory defaults made it seemingly better but it still has issues. Grey steps show a different color tint at each level, so something has clearly gone non-linear and biases are likely off.

Has anyone had this issue before and found a solution? Bad caps? Burnt transistors?
Is there anywhere that is familiar with these that performs repairs for a reasonable fee?

Eric
post #3442 of 3999 Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonsofpcs View Post

Mine (just over 3000 lamp hours, 6 of those 'bright') has started doing similar. Colors are clipping. At first I thought it was an issue with certain broadcasts because it only happened and was apparent on deep reds (like those commonly seen on a certain network's Sunday evening cartoons). It slowly got worse and became more apparent. Lowering the brightness and/or R/G/B gain/bias settings made it less so, leading me to believe that there is clipping occurring in the circuitry that does the balancing/biasing (analog?). I tried recalibrating it and this didn't help (in fact, it seemed the reds were way off and the other colors were off a bit as well). Shutting it, letting it cool, blowing out the dust, then bringing it back up didn't appear to help much either. Resetting factory defaults made it seemingly better but it still has issues. Grey steps show a different color tint at each level, so something has clearly gone non-linear and biases are likely off.

Has anyone had this issue before and found a solution? Bad caps? Burnt transistors?
Is there anywhere that is familiar with these that performs repairs for a reasonable fee?

Eric

I would do a search. I am pretty sure this is the same issue many others have had to send it in to Optoma for repair. I believe some people have been able to prolong repairs by putting it into high altitude mode. But that hasn't worked for everyone. It would be great to know what Optoma is doing for that repair.
post #3443 of 3999 Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Liked: 15
I had that problem. I took it apart and blew out the color wheel with a can of air and no problem since. I really didn't think it would help because it looked clean except for just slight dust particles on the wheel.
I'm on my second bulb with around 1600 hrs. It was a very repeatable problem usually within 10 minutes of turn on going to green/purplish hues. Probably did it around 2 months ago and no problem since.
Followed the great instructions in this thread.
post #3444 of 3999 Old 01-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:

I just wanted to give an update on this issue in case anyone cares. I never changed the bulb back out, so I don't know if that was the issue or not, and after doing a massive amount of Googling, I only found one other individual having a similar issue, but they had a multi-colored streak running down their screen which would have been far more noticeable. They fixed their issue simply by blowing the projector out. Blowing the projector out didn't work for me, but I've been running the projector with High Altitude on, and over the last two weeks the spot has been shrinking considerably, and is almost gone completely. I probably would have been more proactive in taking the thing apart again and swapping out the lamp, but the colored spot on my screen is towards the top of the screen, and if/when watching movies, the widescreen letterbox bars cover the spot completely.

Anyways. I'm happy.
post #3445 of 3999 Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM

Does anyone know the measurement of the center of lens to base on these?
post #3446 of 3999 Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I thought I'd mention, since it was a question here previously: I just hooked up my Nintendo 64 this past weekend to my Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver. Worked like a charm! When I had previously tried using the composite input on the Optoma, I wouldn't get picture. The projector did not want to recognize the 240p that the N64 outputs.

So, for anyone else hoping to play old school video games, that's one suggestion. I had previously bought a Video Scaler off eBay (the Zinwell Briteview progressive upconverter) but its still in the box (brand new, surprisingly enough). If anybody wants that instead, I'll sell it to you!

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #3447 of 3999 Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 AM

I just switched to an electric screen from a manual. It is a budget screen by elite (electric 100h). It has a 12V trigger and we put up the screen and connected it to the HD20 only to find that there is no option in the HD20 menu to turn the trigger function on. It clearly shows it under the system menu in the manual but I do not have it on my projector. My firmware shows as C09. I would greatly appreciate any help in the right direction or an indication of where I am doing something retarded. I plan on calling Optoma, however as luck would have it the 1 year warranty expired in december 2011. Arrhg so disappointed after spending 3.5 hours getting the screen up in my odd octagonal shaped theater room(not my choice just the way it came with the house) I have been goggling but have not found anything useful yet. So anyone willing to take a stab at this I would greatly appreciate it.
post #3448 of 3999 Old 01-22-2012, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you!

Will post images soon.

When I first turn on its perfect.

After 15-20 mins i get this.

I had this problem. Had to send it in to get the main board replaced. Cost around $500. That was about 9 months or so ago.

I'm starting to see a lot of blown out colors again, especially on reds. I'm hoping it is just the bulb, since this is the original bulb, going on close to 4000 hours now. I use compressed air every two weeks to blow the dust out of the projector out now.
post #3449 of 3999 Old 01-23-2012, 03:55 PM

Do the HD20 and HD66 have same mounting holes?
post #3450 of 3999 Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer0987 View Post

Do the HD20 and HD66 have same mounting holes?

Sorry, I don't have both projectors to answer that. But if you download the PDF manual of both from Optoma, I know the HD20 manually clearly gives the location dimensions and screw type and length. So you could then compare the two.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page