*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1st time projector owner here.

I just got the HD20 in yesterday, and all I can say is..... WOW!

I was a little worried about the wife's reaction when I brought it home last night, as she is NOT a big fan of electronics/high-tech gadgetry. (Better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.)

HOWEVER... ...within 5 minutes of firing the HD20 up, she said the following "I have to get some pictures of this... I can't believe how clear a picture that thing puts out."

This is with the picture (only 80" or so... and just a 720p feed) being shot on a textured living room wall, due to the mancave not being built yet.

She only had two complaints:

1) Is that "thing" suppposed to get that hot.
2) That light is WAY to bright.

I'll definitely be looking into tweaking the settings a little bit once the projector gets put into it's final home, but for now I am VERY happy with this purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tustinfarm View Post

First impressions, after spending about 3 hours with the HD20. This is my third projector (all have been DLPs). Caveat is that my theatre is quite modest - projecting 145 diagonal on a bare white wall, in room with no light control (wait until dark!), white ceiling/walls and very light carpet. Seating distance is about 14 feet from screen. This is my upgrade from a Mitsibishi HD1000u (720p DLP).

Optics - look good to me, no obvious color fringing on B/W test pattern, and with good focus uniformity, since pixel structure is evenly visible. Definitely a finer pattern than 720p PJ, and invisible from seating area.

Brightness - looks brighter than my previous projector, certainly plenty bright for my setup, and despite the 70% uniformity value that shows up in the spec. I did not see any obvious hotspotting or darkened areas, etc. This was a great relief since I was a little worried after reading the specs. Light spill out the front grill looks significant to me, but I am not sure if this is because the white case makes it look more prominent. In any event, not an issue at all for me, given my lack of light control and light ceiling/walls/floor. No effect on image when I hold hand in front of the light spill.

Image quality - I still have a fair amount of tweaking to do, since there are a lot more options to adjust than on my previous projector. Out of the box the colors seemed too rich or saturated, so I dialed those down, and also changed the color temp. back to neutral. Also bumped up the contrast and reduced brightness. Note I am not a major tweaker in this regard, just want to find a setting that I am happy with and leave it there (and hope the projector will not revert back to factory defaults!). When I first hooked it up to DVR w/1080i component or HDMI feeds , watching test patterns from HDnet there were some odd de-interlacing artifacts apparent. After an hour or so of a progressively deteriorating state of mind (!), switching to 720p output, etc. , I discovered that the PJ needed to be wake up with the DVR signal already present at the input, then all was fine, no artifacts, smooth test patterns. So, maybe a peculiar sync. effect, but not an issue any more. Or at least I think that was what was happening. By the way, I am only getting around 700 horizontal lines on my HDNet test pattern (about the same as for previous 720p projector), so wonder if my cable company (Charter) is down-rezzing the HDNet feed - has anyone else observed this effect, or how many lines do you get? Shouldn't I be getting more than 1000 lines since there would in theory be 1920 pixels across the image? Back to image quality - at first I thought - hey, it looks less sharp than my 720p PJ, what's wrong?? But after looking at the HDNet test pattern I began to realize that the dithering/Nyquist effects on a 720p unit can make some of the picture edges appear sharper, whereas on the HD20 there is a smooth, more film-like quality as the resolution wedges transition smoothly from resolved to blurred. In other words, extremely small text on the test pattern have an even, naturally blurred appearance, while on the lower res. PJ there is a jaggedness mixed in with the blur pattern. I now understand why CRT projector enthusiasts disdain digital projectors and the unnatural edge effects that they may display. So in theory the higher resolution (versus 720p) puts one a little closer to the analog world in terms of image qualities. Attaching to a Sharp 21U blu-ray player with 1080p, 24fps feed, showed exquisite image quality/sharpness, and really makes the PJ shine. Which probably tells me that the cable HD material I have is probably of greatly inferior resolution. I need to get a blu-ray test pattern disc to get a real feel for what it can do.

So, based on this initial acquaintance, generally happy so far, but need a lot more time to tweak, and also anxious to see some hard measurements by the experts.

Nice review Tustin,

Can you discuss your impressions of contrast and black levels of the HD20 vs the HD1000u you had?

Robert Clark
post #363 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:

the cable HD material I have is probably of greatly inferior resolution

You said it - the new projector makes me acutely aware of how poor the quality of most of my "HD" channels on DISH are. Best bets are the sports channels. I have some recorded nature documentaries that look really good, too.
post #364 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM

Liked: 11
It seems that Optoma decided to drop the price for canadian HD200x version. Few days ago it was listed for 1599CAN at costco, now it's 1199CAN.

Regards
post #365 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That is great news.
post #366 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 11:23 AM

I thought readers of this thread may find the following informal HD20 review of interest. Apparently it's from an England-based forum, very similar to to this one.
post #367 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

By the way, I am only getting around 700 horizontal lines on my HDNet test pattern (about the same as for previous 720p projector), so wonder if my cable company (Charter) is down-rezzing the HDNet feed – has anyone else observed this effect, or how many lines do you get? Shouldn’t I be getting more than 1000 lines since there would in theory be 1920 pixels across the image?

Actually, with "lines", what you are measuring are how many white lines are visible betwen black lines (or vise/versa)...meaning that's actually half the resolution. So if you are seeing around 700 lines, that means you are getting a horizontal resolution of around 1400. I dunno about Charter, but I know satellite in the past has broadcast 1440x1080 upconverted to 1920x1080...

"Playing this game is like having your eyes slit open with straight razors, filled with baby spider eggs, then re-sealed, and then being treated to the sensation of hundreds of tiny, venemous little arachnids bursting into being behind your pupils, consuming everything they can touch, and feeling...
post #368 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

Nice review Tustin,

Can you discuss your impressions of contrast and black levels of the HD20 vs the HD1000u you had?

Black level (i.e., intensity of light on screen perceived when scene is black) seems similar to the HD1000u, so yes, there will not be the true black that is so often discussed and yearned for, and (from what I have read) delivered in the higher end PJs. Funny thing is, I have never seen "true black" at a movie theater either, it's always that very dark grey.

That said, the intensity of bright areas seems higher than the HD1000u, so that's where the higher on/off contrast measurement is reflected. Perceived image contrast seems similar to me for both PJs...but keep in mind my admittedly poor light environent would likely impede the evaluation.
post #369 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianbrandt View Post

I thought readers of this thread may find the following informal HD20 review of interest. Apparently it's from an England-based forum, very similar to to this one.

The settings they used were:

Quote:

the settings i have with 37 hours on the lamp.
mode: user
contrast: 47
brightness: 38
color: 53
tint: 46
sharpness: 8
noise reduction: 0
gamma: standard
curve type: 1
offset: -2
color temp: warm
red gain: 5
green gain: 0
blue gain: -5
red bias: -1
green bias: 0
blue bias: 0
lamp bright mode: off

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #370 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant72 View Post

It seems that Optoma decided to drop the price for canadian HD200x version. Few days ago it was listed for 1599CAN at costco, now it's 1199CAN.

Regards

Thats horrible news for me i paid 1400.00 a month ago
post #371 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Actually, with "lines", what you are measuring are how many white lines are visible betwen black lines (or vise/versa)...meaning that's actually half the resolution.

Actually that isn't right. When you talk about lines of resolution, you include both black and white lines i.e. basically a distinguishable change. A black to white transition, or a white to black transition.

Here's a link with a detailed explanation:
http://www.petergray.org/tvlines.html

But the tricky thing is, even though we are specifically referring to horizontal resolution, the "lines of resolution" number is based on lines in a square image (crop your picture to make it square). So if you can resolve 600 lines in a 4:3 image, then you call it 450 lines of resolution (600 divided by 4/3). So a 16:9 resolution image has an even greater reduction in "lines".

"Line of resolution" is an analog CRT measurement. Since in a digital projection system you can typically resolve every pixel, the resolution is usually just specified by pixels. If the horizontal resolution is 1920, then 1920 divided by 16/9 is 1080 (hey!).

So properly, if you want to refer to lines of resolution of a 1080p projector it would be 1080 (although it refers to horizontal, got that?). And 720p would be 720. And that's a precise measurement.
post #372 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 02:27 PM

I began setting up my projector today and have a few questions, as well as an observation.

1) I currently have a projector stand, because my ceiling is too high and the back wall has a swamp cooler in it, which I've always worried would shake the projector too much. The current screen is 110", which required me to move the stand about 4' closer, just behind my couch.

However, the display was trapezoidal, which led me to believe I was tilting the projector too far downward, so it I lowered the arm on the stand and tilted the projector upward. That lessened the trapezoidal effect, but it's not totally gone and it's not possible to lower the arm further. So I am now wondering whether it would be to my advantage to flip the arm of the stand upside down, and then reverse the image. Assuming that works, one benefit is I could raise the stand's arm, which would decrease the likelihood of hitting people's heads at the edge of the couch.

2) What's the benefit of using the zoom? It seemed like I could make it fit either way, but I'm assuming one method is optimal.

3) I live at 7800 feet, so it's pretty obvious I should use the high altitude setting. However, the sound of the fan went from, "Man, I can hardly hear it!" to "Whoa, what just happened???" Since the ceiling is very high (18') and the house is incredibly poorly insulated, leading to a cool room, would I be dramatically shortening the life of the this machine if I didn't use the high altitude setting.

4) Very obscure, but has anyone installed a projector in a wall with a swamp cooler? We never use the swamp cooler while watching TV, due to noise levels as well as temperature complaints from my lovely bride, but it will run for 4 to 8 hours a day during the summer. Would this shimmy a wall mount too much if I use it rather than the stand? I'm starting to like the concept of putting the projector in a place that can't be accidentally knocked.

5) My previous projector was the H31. When I would turn it off, I'd press Power and see a message of "Power off lamp?," then press again. The lamp would immediately shut off, while the fan would run another few minutes. However, when I turned off the unit today, there was no message and the lamp wouldn't turn off immediately. After 20 seconds of not turning off, I turned off the power.

What was I doing wrong?

6) An observation: This unit may be bright, but it's not bright enough to overcome the light I have in my room with my room darkening shades up. (I didn't test with the shades down). Not a big deal, but if you have lots of windows, you'll probably have to wait for darkness to enjoy the picture.
post #373 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

I still have this projector and undecided on whether I should keep it or not...PP said they would e-mail me a RMA but havent received one yet. Maybe I didnt spend enough time tweaking it and with a little bulb break in and fine tuning I can get the picture to my liking. I am so tempted to turn it back on!!! Oh my I dont know what to do???
post #374 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 03:27 PM

Just got an email from BH photo that they now have the HD20 in stock.
post #375 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I am so tempted to turn it back on!!! Oh my I dont know what to do???

I thought you had already left us! (I seem to remember a good-bye message).
Here's my thought: is there anything else you might want to do with the extra money you were thinking of spending on a more costly projector? If so, why not just save it for that and live with the HD20 for a while. Upgrade the sound system, get a new OPPO player, treat your loved one to a weekend away, whatever. You can make the HD20 work for a while at least, and in 6 months or a year reconsider upgrading. There will be new options then, for sure.
post #376 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder View Post

I still have this projector and undecided on whether I should keep it or not...PP said they would e-mail me a RMA but havent received one yet. Maybe I didnt spend enough time tweaking it and with a little bulb break in and fine tuning I can get the picture to my liking. I am so tempted to turn it back on!!! Oh my I dont know what to do???

Mr2Spyder, before sending your HD20 back why not try the projector settings that Adult Beverage noted from the English forum?...

the settings i have with 37 hours on the lamp.
mode: user
contrast: 47
brightness: 38
color: 53
tint: 46
sharpness: 8
noise reduction: 0
gamma: standard
curve type: 1
offset: -2
color temp: warm
red gain: 5
green gain: 0
blue gain: -5
red bias: -1
green bias: 0
blue bias: 0
lamp bright mode: off

Better, yet, if you have some more time before the return period expires wait on Guitarman's settings....might be worth the wait!
post #377 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder View Post

Keep it! Look at it this way, you can either spend $1k on this nice projector and be happy for 6 months to a year, or return it spend 2.5k for a 60,000:1 contrast projector or wait 1 year. I'm pretty sure in a year 60:000:1 will be standard for 1080p projectors. You could easily sell yours for $500 and spend $500+ more for a much better pj that you will be happy with saving you 1k to take your wife out on a vacation.
post #378 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant72 View Post

Regards

Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog_2005 View Post

Thats horrible news for me i paid 1400.00 a month ago

So did I but they should agree to a price adjustment. If not units would just be returned within 90 days and repurchased at the lower price. They must have more sense than to go that route.
post #379 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieC5 View Post

Thanks for that!

So did I but they should agree to a price adjustment. If not units would just be returned within 90 days and repurchased at the lower price. They must have more sense than to go that route.

I have emailed them about this, i really do not want to take it back, but for 200.00 it might be the way to go
post #380 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

First impressions, after spending about 3 hours with the HD20. This is my third projector (all have been DLPs). Caveat is that my “theatre” is quite modest – projecting 145” diagonal on a bare white wall, in room with no light control (wait until dark!), white ceiling/walls and very light carpet. Seating distance is about 14 feet from screen. This is my upgrade from a Mitsibishi HD1000u (720p DLP).

Thanks for all the good info in your review, Tustin, I too am upgrading from a Mitsu HD1000u, so I was really anxious to hear what you had to say as a comparison between the two. And this will also be my third DLP PJ, my first was the 480p H31, then the 720p Mitsu... My HD20 is presently enroute across the country, coming from Washington State to PA; Fedex is expecting to deliver it on Saturday. Such a painful wait this week - 3 more days, aargh!

My movie theater room is in the basement of my house and has no windows, so I have no extraneous light sources to worry about. Even so, I still thought the HD1000u was a little lacking in brightness and clarity with darker scenes (of which there are HARDLY any of in movies these days, right? lol!) so I'm hoping the combination of higher resolution and slightly brighter lamp will help a little bit in this respect. All in all though, I loved the performance of the Mitsu, so someone is going to be quite fortunate to get it at a very good price when I finally give it up...

For my testing purposes this weekend I'll be using the PS3 from the living room upstairs, but I am also ordering an Oppo 83 to go permanently in the theater's AV cabinet... I'm using a 120" motorized white screen with slight gain, and the projector will be ceiling-mounted just below a 6 1/2 foot drop-ceiling where the HD1000u is hanging now... Haha, the bottom of my projector hangs at 5'10", and I'm 5'9 1/2", so I'm JUST able to walk under it without hitting my head! Gotta love the low basement ceilings in these older houses!

I'm really excited my movie theater is finally going full HD, just like the setup I have in my livingroom with the PS3 and a 52" Aquos... I suppose it's also time to re-up my Directv subscription to HD again, I do have an HD Directv receiver in the AV cabinet as well, but I had dropped my package a year ago to the lowest non-HD level in order to save some $$...

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #381 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 PM

Projector central is stating that the color wheel speed is only 2X. Is this accurate? I was under the impression that the HD20 has a 4X color wheel. Does anyone have confirmation either way?
post #382 of 4001 Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

My question is will there be any FW updates for us tweakers who would want to have them to improve picture quality and add settings like input saves and so on? This PJ does have a mini usb service port....

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #383 of 4001 Old 08-20-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:

Projector central is stating that the color wheel speed is only 2X.

The HD20 color wheel rotates at 2x speed (120 hz), but the wheel contains six segments, 2 each of red, green and blue. Therefore each color is cycled 4 times for each frame. I believe this is what is commonly referred to as a 4x color wheel in the industry.
post #384 of 4001 Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpnine View Post

The HD20 color wheel rotates at 2x speed (120 hz), but the wheel contains six segments, 2 each of red, green and blue. Therefore each color is cycled 4 times for each frame. I believe this is what is commonly referred to as a 4x color wheel in the industry.

That makes sense. I know the Optoma HD73 had a 4X color wheel, and it didn't seem like they would go backwards for the HD20. I certainly haven't seen any rainbows, and I have watched some black-and-white movies. This brochure cites a 4X color wheel for the HD20. http://www.tecktronixsindia.com/imag...0/brochure.pdf
post #385 of 4001 Old 08-20-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

My question is will there be any FW updates for us tweakers who would want to have them to improve picture quality and add settings like input saves and so on? This PJ does have a mini usb service port....

I bet there will be. They circulated a firmware upgrade a few months after the HD73 came out, and I applied it via the USB link.
post #386 of 4001 Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

Thanks for all the good info in your review, Tustin, I too am upgrading from a Mitsu HD1000u, so I was really anxious to hear what you had to say as a comparison between the two. And this will also be my third DLP PJ, my first was the 480p H31, then the 720p Mitsu... My HD20 is presently enroute across the country, coming from Washington State to PA; Fedex is expecting to deliver it on Saturday. Such a painful wait this week - 3 more days, aargh!

My movie theater room is in the basement of my house and has no windows, so I have no extraneous light sources to worry about. Even so, I still thought the HD1000u was a little lacking in brightness and clarity with darker scenes (of which there are HARDLY any of in movies these days, right? lol!) so I'm hoping the combination of higher resolution and slightly brighter lamp will help a little bit in this respect. All in all though, I loved the performance of the Mitsu, so someone is going to be quite fortunate to get it at a very good price when I finally give it up...

For my testing purposes this weekend I'll be using the PS3 from the living room upstairs, but I am also ordering an Oppo 83 to go permanently in the theater's AV cabinet... I'm using a 120" motorized white screen with slight gain, and the projector will be ceiling-mounted just below a 6 1/2 foot drop-ceiling where the HD1000u is hanging now... Haha, the bottom of my projector hangs at 5'10", and I'm 5'9 1/2", so I'm JUST able to walk under it without hitting my head! Gotta love the low basement ceilings in these older houses!

I'm really excited my movie theater is finally going full HD, just like the setup I have in my livingroom with the PS3 and a 52" Aquos... I suppose it's also time to re-up my Directv subscription to HD again, I do have an HD Directv receiver in the AV cabinet as well, but I had dropped my package a year ago to the lowest non-HD level in order to save some $$...

I think you're going to LOVE the HD20. I've had two nights to tweak mine now, and also dialed in the settings posted from the UK review. They look good, as also do the built in "Reference" settings. I was not as happy with the "Cinema" settings. Naturally, each PJ environment (room and bulb age), combined with personal biases, create a billion different "correct" settings for best image quality. I recommend making sure you set resolution in native mode (rather than 16:9) to ensure 1:1 pixel mapping from the source feed. Finally, do not be alarmed when you first fire it up and think it doesn't look as sharp as the HD1000u did (especially with cable HD content) - it is the increase to 1920 X 1080 higher res. that provides smoother, more film-like edge transitions to the material you are viewing, and viewing HD test patterns (from blu-ray disk) will re-assure you that all is well with the raw performance. I am really happy with the HD20 so far, and nervously await the concrete, official test measurements from pro reviewers, that I hope will confirm what I am seeing. I say nervously since I would hate to find out about a glaring technical flaw (that I am currently oblivious to), since then inevitably I would have to seek it out and obsess over it, and compare to the other cheap 1080p PJs, etc, etc. Thankfully that never happened with the HD1000u, and hopefully will be the same with the HD20.
post #387 of 4001 Old 08-20-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

I noticed that your ceiling is only 6-1/2 feet from the floor. Mine is 7 feet and I am using a custom built 106" screen that starts 5 inches from the ceiling.

I would love to get the HD20 because I want that pop of colors that a DLP projector is known for; however, I never thought I could because of the offset.

I was reading that for the HD20, I need the center of the lens to be about 9" above the top of my screen (for my 106" screen). How do you get the offset to work in your theater since your ceiling is lower and your screen is bigger? It doesn't seem like you can have the projector that much higher than the screen.
post #388 of 4001 Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brykater14 View Post

I noticed that your ceiling is only 6-1/2 feet from the floor. Mine is 7 feet and I am using a custom built 106" screen that starts 5 inches from the ceiling.

I would love to get the HD20 because I want that pop of colors that a DLP projector is known for; however, I never thought I could because of the offset.

I was reading that for the HD20, I need the center of the lens to be about 9" above the top of my screen (for my 106" screen). How do you get the offset to work in your theater since your ceiling is lower and your screen is bigger? It doesn't seem like you can have the projector that much higher than the screen.

I think you should be all right with your screen and ceiling, if you can drop it 10 inches or so. You will still have a foot and a half or so below the viewing surface. But the previous poster is going to have to live with some keystoning.

My ceiling is 8 feet and my screen is only 101" so I had to raise it up quite a bit from where I had it set for the HD73 with its huge offset.
post #389 of 4001 Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryP View Post

I think you should be all right with your screen and ceiling, if you can drop it 10 inches or so. You will still have a foot and a half or so below the viewing surface. But the previous poster is going to have to live with some keystoning.

My ceiling is 8 feet and my screen is only 101" so I had to raise it up quite a bit from where I had it set for the HD73 with its huge offset.

I can't drop the screen any lower than 5 inches from the top of the ceiling. The reason is that I have a cabinet under the screen that houses a 40" tv that raises out of the cabinet when I want to watch tv or play games. So the screen itself is about 50" tall and starts about 30" off the ground; this puts the top of the screen at 5" below the ceiling.
post #390 of 4001 Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

Considering history it doesn't look good. Their HD80 shipped without features that were included in the owner's manual and they were never added. Even a few display goofs were never addressed and the only firmware ever released enabled 1080p24 playback which was clearly advertised as supported before it was shipped.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page