post #3991 of 4008 Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggoodin View Post

What video game system are you playing on? I have played n64, Dreamcast, Wii, Xbox, Xbox360, XboxOne and now I have a PS4 all on the same old HD20, original bulb and color wheel still.

The PS4 causes odd horizontal lines that are correctable with the keystone, I also have HDMI sync issues with the PS4. None of the other systems game me a single hiccup. Never had a PS3. I just figure playstation and Optoma don't get along too well.

I haven't had any issues with my HD20 using my PS4, PS3, PS2, PSone, Xbox 360, Wii, and N64,

I no longer have my HD20, but I didn't have any issues with the PS4 using HDMI via my Onkyo receiver. No lines or anything. No keystone was being used. I wonder what would cause the lines with a PS4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4008 Old 05-11-2014, 06:03 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

I wonder what would cause the lines with a PS4.

I run it through a pioneer vsx720. I get a horizontal line occasionally at the top and I frequently get total snow when powering everything up. Keystone correction 1 step and then back corrects the line and off/on on the receiver corrects the snow.

I forgot I have a darbee in line now but I was running that on the 360 and One with zero problems.
post #3993 of 4008 Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Gaming

Hello all!

I have had this projector for over a year now (got it for a great price on craigslist) and I am currently building my first gaming PC. I was wondering how well this would work for gaming, as I see in the specs that the refresh rate is 24 hz to 85 hz. 60 hz will be the least needed to game without seeing lag. I do not if it will scale for what is needed, but from what I see most things play automatically at 24 hz. Is there a setting to get it to be at 85 hz?

Thank you for all the knowledge you can offer,

Dylan
post #3994 of 4008 Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan43270 View Post
Hello all!

I have had this projector for over a year now (got it for a great price on craigslist) and I am currently building my first gaming PC. I was wondering how well this would work for gaming, as I see in the specs that the refresh rate is 24 hz to 85 hz. 60 hz will be the least needed to game without seeing lag. I do not if it will scale for what is needed, but from what I see most things play automatically at 24 hz. Is there a setting to get it to be at 85 hz?

Thank you for all the knowledge you can offer,

Dylan
I used my HTPC with the HD20 for gaming as well as with consoles. Works great. I was running video and audio via HDMI on the Video card. Running at 1920 x 1080 60p. I prefer V-sync enabled to prevent tearing. Unless your video card has special settings or you have special software, Windows will run at 60 hz. I haven't found any included way to increase that. Also, I am pretty sure the HD20 won't actually run at 85 hz with regular 2D input, just like it doesn't actually run at 24hz. When at 24 hz, it is actually running at 48 hz using frame doubling. I would have to find the source again for that. But not sure about the 85 hz part. I thought that was for specific 3D formats. But again, I haven't found a way to get Windows to output over 85 hz over HDMI. At least not with included software or with the ATI or Nvidia control panels.

I have no complaints with the PC gaming at 60 hz on the HD20 or any of my LCD panels.
post #3995 of 4008 Old 07-23-2014, 03:30 AM

Liked: 10
Hello, i have this projector but I haven't change the originals settings, can somebody please share a good setting to calibrate my Hd20 please?

Thank you
post #3996 of 4008 Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi folks,
I have had a projector for about 10 years, started with an Infocus X1, then had an Infocus 4805. The light tunnel recently collapsed for that projector, so I’m without one for now. My budget is limited to $300 - $400, so I will need to go used via either ebay or Craigslist. I did a little bit of research, and it seems like the Optoma HD20 might be a great choice for me. My main point of posting here is to check and see with the experts whether this projector is the best choice for my situation, or if another projector might be a better fit.
My projector is in the basement, so I can control the light. The main thing it’s used for is either watching movies via DVD/Blu Ray or watching sports. My current screen is a 80” diagonal painted tileboard screen with Velvet border. Projector is 11 feet from the screen, and the main seating position is right under the projector.
I definitely want to go bigger with my next screen, how big is the question. I am thinking 100” so I can use the same method I did before for building the screen, but I can use another method if bigger is better. A limiting factor is where the projetor is currently mounted. The total basement ceiling height is about 92”, but the projector is mounted under the center beam which brings it to about 80”. So, if I go bigger than 100”, the screen bottom will be getting too close to the floor.
Do you guys think this is too small of a screen for an HD20? I plugged in the information to the Projector central calculator, and it says it will be 29 fL. Does that calculator use eco mode or full power?
Any other suggestions anyone has would be appreciated!
post #3997 of 4008 Old 07-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella17 View Post
Hello, i have this projector but I haven't change the originals settings, can somebody please share a good setting to calibrate my Hd20 please?

Thank you
Here are my latest settings that I was using (no longer have my HD20). Screen is a DIY 125" 16:9 1.0 gain white matte blackout clothe screen.

Here are the menu options from my HD20 with the settings that I used for all sources. BD, PS3, PS4, xbox 360 PC and more. I only used the HDMI and VGA inputs and rarely the VGA input.

Enjoy.

Obviously people have different preferences, so you may not like my settings. I like fairly neutral coloring with preference to sharpness with as little artifacts as possible. And with preference to shadow and highlight details. Which requires contrast that my be low for some people. Either way, this should be a good starting point.

Last edited by xenon2000; 07-24-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: More details.
post #3998 of 4008 Old 09-24-2014, 07:32 PM

Unhappy Projector won't power up

Hi Guys,

I've had my Optoma HD20 going on 5 years now, and it worked superbly during that time. However, last night while watching a movie the projector just cut off, no popping, no crackle, nothing. There were no light indicators either. I unplugged it for a while and plugged it in and the power light came on as usual solid amber as if in standby. But when I try to power on it just starts flashing amber, and nothing else happens. No lamp or temp led, no fan, no bulb light, just the power light flashing amber. What could be wrong with it? Is it possible I can repair it myself?

N.B. It might be helpful to know that when the projector is connected to power the computer it is connected to via HDMI detects it is plugged in as it usually does. May or may not be helpful I don't know.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
post #3999 of 4008 Old 09-25-2014, 08:28 PM

Anyone with an assist? I scrapped it down to the point where I removed the mainboard and vacuumed the inside, which was quite unnecessary, for a projector I had for quite a while it had absolutely no dust build up. Looked brand new on the inside. Needless to say, I put it back together and it's still not powering up when trying to switch it on.
post #4000 of 4008 Old 10-02-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have almost the same exact problem, but when I press the power button, it begins to blink green, but no fan spin up, no noise, and it stays in that blinking condition forever. This is the "warming / powering on" state, according to the user guide. But nothing is happening.
post #4001 of 4008 Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4wvk View Post
I have almost the same exact problem, but when I press the power button, it begins to blink green, but no fan spin up, no noise, and it stays in that blinking condition forever. This is the "warming / powering on" state, according to the user guide. But nothing is happening.

Blink green? Mine blinks amber, not green. Probably two completely different issues. My amber power light blinking alone isn't even in the guide. So no clue what that means.
post #4002 of 4008 Old 11-03-2014, 06:53 AM

Hi everyone - I've had my Optoma HD20 for a long time and have put more than my fair share of usage into it. It is my first projector and the bulb has finally died in it. Can anyone point me to a good place for a replacement bulb? I've searched Amazon and a few other sites and most of the "replacements" have terrible reviews that they fry within a few hours, etc. I don't really have a local home theater store around to see if they have contact with a rep from Optoma.

Hoping to find something online and I don't mind pay a little extra to ensure that I'm not getting something that will break within a few hours. Thanks in advance for all the help!
post #4003 of 4008 Old 11-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowman View Post
Hi everyone - I've had my Optoma HD20 for a long time and have put more than my fair share of usage into it. It is my first projector and the bulb has finally died in it. Can anyone point me to a good place for a replacement bulb? I've searched Amazon and a few other sites and most of the "replacements" have terrible reviews that they fry within a few hours, etc. I don't really have a local home theater store around to see if they have contact with a rep from Optoma.

Hoping to find something online and I don't mind pay a little extra to ensure that I'm not getting something that will break within a few hours. Thanks in advance for all the help!
Some people have ok luck with 3rd party bulbs. But I simply don't trust them. And my suggestion is to stick with the Optoma OEM bulb and housing. Unfornately searching for OEM will list mostly 3rd party units. The bulb may be OEM in many of them, but the housing assembly is not.

Propector People (I don't work for them or any PJ company) sells Manufacturer bulb/assemblies.
http://www.projectorpeople.com/searc...r.brand=Optoma

If you have the BL-FP230F bulb part number, then the price is $217 right now.

B&H is the cheapest I have seen so far for this unit from an authorized seller. $180 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...610ST_And.html

Amazon has it slightly cheaper, but no reviews so I don't know if it's the true bulb, but the price is close enough to be true. And it's shipped by and sold by Amazon, so it should be the right one. http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-BL-FP23...ords=BL-FP230F

The bulbs that are under $100 are simply not the ones to buy. And remember to find out the exact part number when you look at yours.
post #4004 of 4008 Old 11-04-2014, 11:05 AM

Hi everyone, First let me apologize for my English, my OPTOMA HD20 got a spot in the middle of the screen , it's just dirt or may be something else ? I made a clean sweep of the lamp but this apparently normal. If someone has an idea what might be happening I thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagem1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	349442  
post #4005 of 4008 Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaldessin View Post
Hi everyone, First let me apologize for my English, my OPTOMA HD20 got a spot in the middle of the screen , it's just dirt or may be something else ? I made a clean sweep of the lamp but this apparently normal. If someone has an idea what might be happening I thank you.
You are using a cheap 3rd party bulb and that has melted the plastic lens internally. Others have had this issue a few pages ago. If you look back a few pages, you will find pictures of the issue.

You need to replace the plastic lens, clean the fans, and replace the bulb with a true OEM bulb that runs about $170-220. If you keep using the same bulb housing you have now, then it will happen again.

I recommend replacing the plastic lens with a glass one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Optoma-HD20-...item2ed8c56946

You might be able to keep the current bulb if you use a glass lens. But the burn mark means there is too much UV radiation in the light path and something else might get damaged from the heat in the future.
post #4006 of 4008 Old 11-05-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4wvk View Post
Did you ever find out what is wrong with yours? Mine just started doing the EXACT same thing yesterday. No fan start up, no lamp coming on, no noise at all...just a blinking green power button. That's it.

I took the bulb out, replaced it, changed out the power cable, plugged it into different electrical sockets all trying to find some odd reason why it would be doing this. The results were zip zero zilch. Nothing. Constant silence and green blinking power light.

I hope it isn't completely busted and ready for the scrap pile =(
post #4007 of 4008 Old 11-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have replaced the bulb in my projector once before. Last time it poppe really loud but also exploded. I had to get all if the glass out

Last week it popped again but the led light for the bulb did not light up. The led light stays red when I try to power the projector on and will not turn on.

I bought another bulb and after trying to turn it on. It still will not turn on

When I plug the projector up I get a blinking green light. When I turn the projector on it makes no noise ... But after a few seconds of hittin the power button the blinking green light stays solid red

What's going on. I hope my projector is not dead

This last time it popped my projector stayed on and made a really loud humming noise. It soused like electrical waves lol

So I had to unplug everything

What luck
post #4008 of 4008 Old 11-16-2014, 05:54 PM

Hot Spots on faces

Hi Everyone,

I recently replaced my bulb with an official Optoma lamp for my HD20, but I'm noticing that areas around face cheeks and noses are showing hotspots.. There isn't a smooth gradient from hotspots in these areas and I have to really lower my contrast settings to make them go away. I noticed this happening as my bulb was nearing its end, but I'm still seeing it with the new bulb.

Any ideas why I'm seeing this issue?

Thanks!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page