*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3991 of 3999 Old 05-10-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its an X360. I often have issues with sound as well...the sound doesn't come through the HDMI. I can only get sound to work if I use the other connections, not HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 3999 Old 05-10-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just watched my first movie with the new bulb. Captain America from 2011 on blu ray with my PS3. Yes, I am a little behind in my movie watching. That netflix disc has been sitting here since December! Picture was bright and perfect. I looked at my hour meter and it's already at 26 hours! I only watched one movie! Well, my kid and another family member use my projector more than I do! That's way too much, it only just arrived this week! I have to curtail that in the future.

Shahram

Are you capable of independent thought, or do you need the government and mass media to do that for you?

Xbox Live Gamertag: Shahraminator
post #3993 of 3999 Old 05-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggoodin View Post

What video game system are you playing on? I have played n64, Dreamcast, Wii, Xbox, Xbox360, XboxOne and now I have a PS4 all on the same old HD20, original bulb and color wheel still.

The PS4 causes odd horizontal lines that are correctable with the keystone, I also have HDMI sync issues with the PS4. None of the other systems game me a single hiccup. Never had a PS3. I just figure playstation and Optoma don't get along too well.

I haven't had any issues with my HD20 using my PS4, PS3, PS2, PSone, Xbox 360, Wii, and N64,

I no longer have my HD20, but I didn't have any issues with the PS4 using HDMI via my Onkyo receiver. No lines or anything. No keystone was being used. I wonder what would cause the lines with a PS4.
post #3994 of 3999 Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

I wonder what would cause the lines with a PS4.

I run it through a pioneer vsx720. I get a horizontal line occasionally at the top and I frequently get total snow when powering everything up. Keystone correction 1 step and then back corrects the line and off/on on the receiver corrects the snow.

I forgot I have a darbee in line now but I was running that on the 360 and One with zero problems.
post #3995 of 3999 Old 06-18-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Gaming

Hello all!

I have had this projector for over a year now (got it for a great price on craigslist) and I am currently building my first gaming PC. I was wondering how well this would work for gaming, as I see in the specs that the refresh rate is 24 hz to 85 hz. 60 hz will be the least needed to game without seeing lag. I do not if it will scale for what is needed, but from what I see most things play automatically at 24 hz. Is there a setting to get it to be at 85 hz?

Thank you for all the knowledge you can offer,

Dylan
post #3996 of 3999 Old 06-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan43270 View Post
Hello all!

I have had this projector for over a year now (got it for a great price on craigslist) and I am currently building my first gaming PC. I was wondering how well this would work for gaming, as I see in the specs that the refresh rate is 24 hz to 85 hz. 60 hz will be the least needed to game without seeing lag. I do not if it will scale for what is needed, but from what I see most things play automatically at 24 hz. Is there a setting to get it to be at 85 hz?

Thank you for all the knowledge you can offer,

Dylan
I used my HTPC with the HD20 for gaming as well as with consoles. Works great. I was running video and audio via HDMI on the Video card. Running at 1920 x 1080 60p. I prefer V-sync enabled to prevent tearing. Unless your video card has special settings or you have special software, Windows will run at 60 hz. I haven't found any included way to increase that. Also, I am pretty sure the HD20 won't actually run at 85 hz with regular 2D input, just like it doesn't actually run at 24hz. When at 24 hz, it is actually running at 48 hz using frame doubling. I would have to find the source again for that. But not sure about the 85 hz part. I thought that was for specific 3D formats. But again, I haven't found a way to get Windows to output over 85 hz over HDMI. At least not with included software or with the ATI or Nvidia control panels.

I have no complaints with the PC gaming at 60 hz on the HD20 or any of my LCD panels.
post #3997 of 3999 Old 07-23-2014, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello, i have this projector but I haven't change the originals settings, can somebody please share a good setting to calibrate my Hd20 please?

Thank you
post #3998 of 3999 Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Hi folks,
I have had a projector for about 10 years, started with an Infocus X1, then had an Infocus 4805. The light tunnel recently collapsed for that projector, so I’m without one for now. My budget is limited to $300 - $400, so I will need to go used via either ebay or Craigslist. I did a little bit of research, and it seems like the Optoma HD20 might be a great choice for me. My main point of posting here is to check and see with the experts whether this projector is the best choice for my situation, or if another projector might be a better fit.
My projector is in the basement, so I can control the light. The main thing it’s used for is either watching movies via DVD/Blu Ray or watching sports. My current screen is a 80” diagonal painted tileboard screen with Velvet border. Projector is 11 feet from the screen, and the main seating position is right under the projector.
I definitely want to go bigger with my next screen, how big is the question. I am thinking 100” so I can use the same method I did before for building the screen, but I can use another method if bigger is better. A limiting factor is where the projetor is currently mounted. The total basement ceiling height is about 92”, but the projector is mounted under the center beam which brings it to about 80”. So, if I go bigger than 100”, the screen bottom will be getting too close to the floor.
Do you guys think this is too small of a screen for an HD20? I plugged in the information to the Projector central calculator, and it says it will be 29 fL. Does that calculator use eco mode or full power?
Any other suggestions anyone has would be appreciated!
post #3999 of 3999 Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella17 View Post
Hello, i have this projector but I haven't change the originals settings, can somebody please share a good setting to calibrate my Hd20 please?

Thank you
Here are my latest settings that I was using (no longer have my HD20). Screen is a DIY 125" 16:9 1.0 gain white matte blackout clothe screen.

Here are the menu options from my HD20 with the settings that I used for all sources. BD, PS3, PS4, xbox 360 PC and more. I only used the HDMI and VGA inputs and rarely the VGA input.

Enjoy.

Obviously people have different preferences, so you may not like my settings. I like fairly neutral coloring with preference to sharpness with as little artifacts as possible. And with preference to shadow and highlight details. Which requires contrast that my be low for some people. Either way, this should be a good starting point.

Last edited by xenon2000; 07-24-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: More details.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page