*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there,

My HD20 suddenly went dark while I was watching a movie. The lamp fail lights turned on though my lamp is supposed to have more than 1000 hours left. I installed a new lamp anyways, but it didn't fix the problem. The lamp still wouldn't turn on. The power light will blink green for a few minutes. Then the power light will blink amber and the lamp light will turn red.

What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!
tonicx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
xenon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicx View Post
Hi there,

My HD20 suddenly went dark while I was watching a movie. The lamp fail lights turned on though my lamp is supposed to have more than 1000 hours left. I installed a new lamp anyways, but it didn't fix the problem. The lamp still wouldn't turn on. The power light will blink green for a few minutes. Then the power light will blink amber and the lamp light will turn red.

What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!
While a lamp is rating for so many hours, that certainly does not mean it is guaranteed to last that long. Is the replacement lamp an OEM unit? Seems the heat of non Optoma authentic bulbs and bulb housings are hotter and cause issues. The LED lights simply means "Lamp failure". Though past pages on this thread show that people have had to send their units in for motherboard repair went a new bulb did not solve the issue. Wish I had some more ideas. I am guessing you have already tried moving the power cord for a long period of time to see if that makes any difference after the new bulb.
xenon2000 is offline  
Old 01-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post
While a lamp is rating for so many hours, that certainly does not mean it is guaranteed to last that long. Is the replacement lamp an OEM unit? Seems the heat of non Optoma authentic bulbs and bulb housings are hotter and cause issues. The LED lights simply means "Lamp failure". Though past pages on this thread show that people have had to send their units in for motherboard repair went a new bulb did not solve the issue. Wish I had some more ideas. I am guessing you have already tried moving the power cord for a long period of time to see if that makes any difference after the new bulb.
Thanks for your reply!

The replacement lamp I got is not an Optoma authentic bulb, but I don't think the heat is an issue because the bulb was never turned on. There seems to be some problem with the power supply to the bulb. Do you know how much does a mainboard repair cost?
tonicx is offline  
Old 01-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
xenon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicx View Post
Thanks for your reply!

The replacement lamp I got is not an Optoma authentic bulb, but I don't think the heat is an issue because the bulb was never turned on. There seems to be some problem with the power supply to the bulb. Do you know how much does a mainboard repair cost?
I don't work for Optoma and haven't done the repair or had the repair done. I was wondering if the bulb that was in it at the time it died, was the original bulb or not. Either way it doesn't really matter at this point, but I thought you should know because once you get it working again, if you are using a cheap bulb then you may get other issues like spots and worse.

I am currently only a previous HD20 owner. I owned mine for almost 4 years before I sold it with the house. So I no longer own an HD20. Your best bet is to contact Optoma and see if they can at least give you a cost range over the phone. Otherwise they will most likely ask that it be sent to them for diagnosis. Out of warranty you will be responsible for shipping and possibly a diagnosis fee if you don't go through with the repair estimate.

Good luck with it and if you solve the issue, I hope you document it here. As I said before, it appears others with this issue didn't repair it themselves and when they sent it in, Optoma usually replaces the mainboard. Could also be a lamp ballast circuit. Unfortunately, while you can buy many parts for the HD20; I personally would hate to start buying parts without some degree of confidence that the part was bad in the first place.
xenon2000 is offline  
Old 01-13-2015, 09:46 AM
Newbie
 
wecaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello friends,

My Optoma is 4 years old and original lamp is 720 hours used. Today, I noticed that there is an abnormal amount of white light coming out of the front grill. I looked inside and found out that the plastic at the back of the lamp (that has logo printed on it) has broken and separated from rest of the lamp. It is lying at the projector floor. Rest of the lamp and connecting wires are intact. As a result, I can see a bright source of light at the back of the lamp. This light fills out the room.

Can I use the projector by putting a cover on the light coming out of the grill. Do I need to worry if this broken bulb can cause more damage to the projector? I have lots of hours left in this lamp.

Maybe I can open the projector (as it is not in warranty) and put a electrical tape around the broken part and cover the light source.

wecaz is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
xenon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaz View Post
Hello friends,

My Optoma is 4 years old and original lamp is 720 hours used. Today, I noticed that there is an abnormal amount of white light coming out of the front grill. I looked inside and found out that the plastic at the back of the lamp (that has logo printed on it) has broken and separated from rest of the lamp. It is lying at the projector floor. Rest of the lamp and connecting wires are intact. As a result, I can see a bright source of light at the back of the lamp. This light fills out the room.

Can I use the projector by putting a cover on the light coming out of the grill. Do I need to worry if this broken bulb can cause more damage to the projector? I have lots of hours left in this lamp.

Maybe I can open the projector (as it is not in warranty) and put a electrical tape around the broken part and cover the light source.

Interesting. Never heard of that before. Can you take a picture? If it came off the bulb housing, you shouldn't need to open the projector, just remove the lamp from the HD20 and inspect. The original bulb housings (that come with the OEM bulb assembled), are coated for light reflection. Nothing should be able to fall off and allow light out in any new place that it wasn't already escaping.

And I wouldn't use electrical tape anywhere inside the projector. Especially not near any heat source like a bulb or other heat. Can you take a photo of the "abnormal amount of light"? As there is light that does exit the front grill normally on a properly working HD20. Curious to see what abnormal would look like.
xenon2000 is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Newbie
 
wecaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The part that is broken is lying at the projector floor. OSRAM logo can be seen on this.

Now some kind of small bright light source is exposed at the back of the lamp.

I have attached some pictures. Let me know if more pictures are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post
Interesting. Never heard of that before. Can you take a picture? If it came off the bulb housing, you shouldn't need to open the projector, just remove the lamp from the HD20 and inspect. The original bulb housings (that come with the OEM bulb assembled), are coated for light reflection. Nothing should be able to fall off and allow light out in any new place that it wasn't already escaping.

And I wouldn't use electrical tape anywhere inside the projector. Especially not near any heat source like a bulb or other heat. Can you take a photo of the "abnormal amount of light"? As there is light that does exit the front grill normally on a properly working HD20. Curious to see what abnormal would look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150113_213937_LLa.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	477978   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150113_214022a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	477986   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150113_213911_LLa.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	477994   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150113_214013a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	478002   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150114_202745a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	478010  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Downloaded 1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	478018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Downloaded 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	478026   Click image for larger version

Name:	OSRAM logo part lying below.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	478034  
wecaz is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
xenon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaz View Post
The part that is broken is lying at the projector floor. OSRAM logo can be seen on this.

Now some kind of small bright light source is exposed at the back of the lamp.

I have attached some pictures. Let me know if more pictures are needed.
Sorry, I should have been more clear about the light leak. I was hoping to see a distant photo of the HD20 in the dark to see how much light shines on the surfaces around it. From the photos you did include (thanks) it looks like the normal amount of light from the front vent.

Bulb assembly should look like this. I see you didn't take a photo of yours, just a stock photo of just the bulb.
http://www.1projectorlamp.com/wp-con...oma-HD200x.jpg

Even if this rear cap fell off, that wouldn't cause extra light out of the front. How long have you had the HD20? You say it's 4 years old, but have you actually been using it for 4 years? And if so, just barely if it only has 750 hours. Maybe you don't remember the light leak from when you first started using it 4 years ago? Because there is a lot of light leak already from the HD20 that is completely normal. So that is why I am curious what an "abnormal" amount would look like for the HD20.
xenon2000 is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Newbie
 
wecaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use it 3-4 times a month, mostly for movies that lasts 90 or 120 minutes. It is in regular use. As you can see in the picures that I shared, rear cap of the lamp is broken and fell off. There is white powder kind of thing from where it broke.

Because rear cap has fallen, it has exposed something in the center at the rear of the lamp. It is a source of bright white light. I don't know if it is a hole.

The light reflects around the room and at the right side of the projected image on the wall. This light is bright enough and casts a shadow of the grill in the room.

I use the projector regularly, so I know it is abnormal. It is like a table lamp is switched on inside a dark room. It casts lots of glare on the projected image.

I hope I could give you some idea about it. (Next time I will share pictures of the room) I am scared if using projector in this condition causes more damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear about the light leak. I was hoping to see a distant photo of the HD20 in the dark to see how much light shines on the surfaces around it. From the photos you did include (thanks) it looks like the normal amount of light from the front vent.

Bulb assembly should look like this. I see you didn't take a photo of yours, just a stock photo of just the bulb.
http://www.1projectorlamp.com/wp-con...oma-HD200x.jpg

Even if this rear cap fell off, that wouldn't cause extra light out of the front. How long have you had the HD20? You say it's 4 years old, but have you actually been using it for 4 years? And if so, just barely if it only has 750 hours. Maybe you don't remember the light leak from when you first started using it 4 years ago? Because there is a lot of light leak already from the HD20 that is completely normal. So that is why I am curious what an "abnormal" amount would look like for the HD20.
wecaz is offline  
Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
xenon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaz View Post
I use it 3-4 times a month, mostly for movies that lasts 90 or 120 minutes. It is in regular use. As you can see in the picures that I shared, rear cap of the lamp is broken and fell off. There is white powder kind of thing from where it broke.

Because rear cap has fallen, it has exposed something in the center at the rear of the lamp. It is a source of bright white light. I don't know if it is a hole.

The light reflects around the room and at the right side of the projected image on the wall. This light is bright enough and casts a shadow of the grill in the room.

I use the projector regularly, so I know it is abnormal. It is like a table lamp is switched on inside a dark room. It casts lots of glare on the projected image.

I hope I could give you some idea about it. (Next time I will share pictures of the room) I am scared if using projector in this condition causes more damage.
Wow, that doesn't sound good at all. I still wouldn't use electrical tape to attach the part. Maybe there is a high-temp glue that you can use instead. Otherwise if you can't repair it, you would of course need to replace the bulb assembly.
xenon2000 is offline  
Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 AM
Newbie
 
wecaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

Today, I broke the seal and took the lamp assembly out. Please have a look at the attached images. There is a rear cap that has broken apart. White powder is lying everywhere.

If you notice rear of the lamp, there is a dark circle that is made of glass. There is a metal connector coming out at the center and this metal wire connects to one of the two pins. I can say the abnormal amount of light comes out through this glass circle.

Should I continue using this lamp as there is no evident issue other than bleeding light (that I can cover up)? This white power filling seems to be important, but that is lost now.

What is your advice on this situation?
xenon2000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150117_145703a.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	483506   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150117_145641a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	483514   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150117_145620a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	483522   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150117_145600a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	483530   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150117_145805a.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	483538  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150117_145703b.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	483586  
wecaz is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
xenon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaz View Post
Hi there,

Today, I broke the seal and took the lamp assembly out. Please have a look at the attached images. There is a rear cap that has broken apart. White powder is lying everywhere.

If you notice rear of the lamp, there is a dark circle that is made of glass. There is a metal connector coming out at the center and this metal wire connects to one of the two pins. I can say the abnormal amount of light comes out through this glass circle.

Should I continue using this lamp as there is no evident issue other than bleeding light (that I can cover up)? This white power filling seems to be important, but that is lost now.

What is your advice on this situation?
xenon2000
Just to try to confirm where the light is coming from, have you tried shining a bright flashlight into the front of the housing to see exactly where the light bleed is coming from?

As I mentioned before, if it is from that assembly, you either need to buy a new bulb or get some high temp glue to try out. My guess about the white powder is that it was the glue used. Probably designed to not expand and contract so it didn't crack the bulb. I wish I knew what was originally used. But the flashlight method would be nice to confirm is that is really where the light leak is.
xenon2000 is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Newbie
 
wecaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post
Just to try to confirm where the light is coming from, have you tried shining a bright flashlight into the front of the housing to see exactly where the light bleed is coming from?

As I mentioned before, if it is from that assembly, you either need to buy a new bulb or get some high temp glue to try out. My guess about the white powder is that it was the glue used. Probably designed to not expand and contract so it didn't crack the bulb. I wish I knew what was originally used. But the flashlight method would be nice to confirm is that is really where the light leak is.
When I switch on the projector, bleeding light is dim initially and gradually increases in intensity. I can clearly see that the bleeding light comes from the exposed circular glass. I have attached a picture. Metal connector exits from this glass' center. It was all covered by rear cap that is now broken. There was nothing inside the cap, except white powder.

I wonder if there is any harm using the lamp like this. All the connectors and lamp housing are intact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20150117_145703b.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	485929  

Last edited by wecaz; 01-18-2015 at 09:15 AM.
wecaz is offline  
Old 01-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
xenon2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaz View Post
When I switch on the projector, bleeding light is dim initially and gradually increases in intensity. I can clearly see that the bleeding light comes from the exposed circular glass. I have attached a picture. Metal connector exits from this glass' center. It was all covered by rear cap that is now broken. There was nothing inside the cap, except white powder.

I wonder if there is any harm using the lamp like this. All the connectors and lamp housing are intact.
Well, that is a choice as well.

1. Do nothing. Hopefully there is no extra heat directed out the back. Bulb life may be affected.
2. Replace.
3. Try to repair.

The ceramic back may have been acting as a mild heat sink, similar to some resistors. Or it may have just been serving as an end cap to block light, cover exposed electrical paths, and give another surface for printing info. Or all of the above.

Not sure what else to discuss with this. Since you are confident the light is coming from there, then you have the 3 options above.
wecaz likes this.
xenon2000 is offline  
 

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off