*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 136 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2015, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post
Thank you both for your responses. I read up a little more and think I am starting to understand this a little better. I picked up the projector yesterday night and tested it on a white wall. All seems good, time on the lense is 87hrs. The guy I picked it up from bought it and played it on a wall for a while then bought a huge 4K tv and said he liked the picture better on the tv than the projector. From his home and furnishings, he had plenty of money and I feel like the hours might be correct.

So I did some measurements and it looks like I will be able to mount the projector about 12.5feet from the screen. So according to the calculator the optimal screen will be a 106". I need to work on the distance that I will have to lower the projector from the ceiling but I figured I would wait until I have the screen mounted to see how low it hangs. Speaking of screens, I just came across one being sold close by for $240 it is a Loch 106" gray, manual screen. I looked them up and they are about $140 new so I emailed him and he is willing to go for $100 if I pick it up today. No problems there, I am looking at the mounting options and thing this will work very good for me where I plan to mount it and don't have to worry about custom mounting the motorized one. I can mount when using it and remove and store when not in use. Anything bad about the Loch screens? I know white is desired but from what I read grey might be ok for my setup since I dont have a dedicated theater room and there might be some ambient light. Any thoughts?

get the projector, project it on the wall then decide on screen.
for the quality of this projector I wouldn't go over 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 187
200"? I was planning on max 120 but looks more like I can go with 106" with the projector mounted about 12.5' away on the ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2015, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
200"? I was planning on max 120 but looks more like I can go with 106" with the projector mounted about 12.5' away on the ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have an epson on a 106 elite framed screen in a 14 by 13 room and it's huge
but not too big

you could save some dough and get a 100inch

just see how big you like the image on the wall
Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks again all for the replies this is helping a lot. I jumped on the manual screen that I mentioned earlier. $100 and its in like new condition. I plan on mounting everything tomorrow very temporarily with straps and brackets just to test it all but I have a couple of questions and just want to make sure I understand the number that are coming up on the projector calculator.

Looks like me mounting the projector 12.5 feet away from the screen is ideal for this 106" screen. So far so good. The problem I am having is the mounting of the screen. The top of the area that the picture will be projected on will be about 17" from the ceiling where the projector will be mounted. The center of the projector front glass piece will be about 6 inches if I go with a standard mount. If I read this right I need to be about less than 8" from the center of the glass to the top of the viewing area of the screen? Is this all correct? I see most projectors mounted level with the ceiling, I am assuming this is how it should be mounted and I should not angle the project down to help get closer to the -8"? Or is angling the projector down ok to do? Should I just go with a mount that extends down further to allow the projector to be level with the ceiling? Here is a pic of the calculator. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	695330  
Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Thank you both for your responses. I read up a little more and think I am starting to understand this a little better. I picked up the projector yesterday night and tested it on a white wall. All seems good, time on the lense is 87hrs. The guy I picked it up from bought it and played it on a wall for a while then bought a huge 4K tv and said he liked the picture better on the tv than the projector. From his home and furnishings, he had plenty of money and I feel like the hours might be correct.

So I did some measurements and it looks like I will be able to mount the projector about 12.5feet from the screen. So according to the calculator the optimal screen will be a 106". I need to work on the distance that I will have to lower the projector from the ceiling but I figured I would wait until I have the screen mounted to see how low it hangs. Speaking of screens, I just came across one being sold close by for $240 it is a Loch 106" gray, manual screen. I looked them up and they are about $140 new so I emailed him and he is willing to go for $100 if I pick it up today. No problems there, I am looking at the mounting options and thing this will work very good for me where I plan to mount it and don't have to worry about custom mounting the motorized one. I can mount when using it and remove and store when not in use. Anything bad about the Loch screens? I know white is desired but from what I read grey might be ok for my setup since I dont have a dedicated theater room and there might be some ambient light. Any thoughts?
Distance: 12'6" = Screen 96" to 115" with 9 inch offset. (Odd, it shows me 9 inches when I pick the HD20, but your screenshot shows 8, hmm)

Definitely make sure the PJ is level with the floor/ceiling and completely perpendicular to the screen. Otherwise will will need to use keystone adjustment to square up the image and that will introduce artifacts in straight lines. Which looks ok with video, but not perfect with gaming and computer sources.

If you don't plan on using blackout blinds or blackout curtains, the grey may work well for you. Also at 106" the grey will help reduce some of the extra brightness that comes with smaller screen sizes. I would still use the HD20 with the bulb in eco mode. I don't know anything about the Loch screens. Hopefully it is a matte grey 0.9 gain screen and not a high-gain reflective style silver screen. Which will give hot spots.

You can quickly get a rough estimate of how low the HD20 needs to be mounted from the ceiling. Figure the top of your screen will be somewhere near the top of your entertainment center if you are mounting it on that or in front of it. And then measure how far that is top level is from your ceiling. Minus 9 (or 8) inches and you have the distance to the center line of the HD20 lens. If your ceiling is not flat, you will have to take into account the extra distance for the slope.

A little odd that someone is trying to sell a $140 screen for $240. Is this a 106" 16:9 screen that you mount? Or is this a tripod based presentation screen?
cessna1466u likes this.

Last edited by xenon2000; 04-30-2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Updated info.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you all for the help. I picked up the screen and temporarily hung it to measure and do some testing. It is the matte gray color and I was able to get it for $100. He says he bought it for $500 a couple of years ago. The guy seemed a little sketchy but who knows. It will be a couple of weeks before I mount it permanently I was planning on doing it so I could mount it when I needed it and then putting it away when not in use but the wife gave me the ok to permanently mount it so I need to work on that and mounting the projector. It looks like I can go with a standard mount for the project and be ok with the height. I will mount the screen first and then measure for the projector. The mount I am making for the projector screen will allow about 2-3" if travel if I need to move it up or down before I secure it down snug. I will post back some pics when done. Here is a pic of the screen with some clamps to hold it down to measure and test.

Oh BTW, it seems my nice guy that sold me the projector was either lying or didn't know himself but looks like the bulb might have been changed already once. The label over the screw for the bulb housing has been punctured and the bulb says Osram on it, I don't know if that is an aftermarket or OEM for Optoma. Need to do some research on that.

I also got the dreaded vertical lines yesterday while testing the picture on the screen. I freaked out but found a few articles on pushing down right behind the lense and it fixed it. Before I mount it I plan on taking a look inside and cleaning out the contacts as it states on a few articles. It might have shifted while transporting it or the guy got the same thing happening and that is why he sold it, maybe he didn't know the fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00l0l_8z1EbgZ6vb3_600x450.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	697194  
Old 05-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the help. I picked up the screen and temporarily hung it to measure and do some testing. It is the matte gray color and I was able to get it for $100. He says he bought it for $500 a couple of years ago. The guy seemed a little sketchy but who knows. It will be a couple of weeks before I mount it permanently I was planning on doing it so I could mount it when I needed it and then putting it away when not in use but the wife gave me the ok to permanently mount it so I need to work on that and mounting the projector. It looks like I can go with a standard mount for the project and be ok with the height. I will mount the screen first and then measure for the projector. The mount I am making for the projector screen will allow about 2-3" if travel if I need to move it up or down before I secure it down snug. I will post back some pics when done. Here is a pic of the screen with some clamps to hold it down to measure and test.

Oh BTW, it seems my nice guy that sold me the projector was either lying or didn't know himself but looks like the bulb might have been changed already once. The label over the screw for the bulb housing has been punctured and the bulb says Osram on it, I don't know if that is an aftermarket or OEM for Optoma. Need to do some research on that.

I also got the dreaded vertical lines yesterday while testing the picture on the screen. I freaked out but found a few articles on pushing down right behind the lense and it fixed it. Before I mount it I plan on taking a look inside and cleaning out the contacts as it states on a few articles. It might have shifted while transporting it or the guy got the same thing happening and that is why he sold it, maybe he didn't know the fix.
I am sure he knew about the issues it was having and the bulb replacement. Seems unlikely he put only 87 hours on it in a few years. I hate to assume the worse. But if I buy a used projector, I act like the bulb is dead and anything I get out of it is just bonus time until I have to replace the bulb myself. Can't trust the hours or people's word unfortunately. If lucky, they told the truth on the bulb and you may get 1000+ hours out of it. But I wouldn't count on it. Hopefully your fix for the vertical lines will last as well. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Love this projector model. Sad to see mine go, but will be posting it FS. If anyone hasn't researched this projector, this is a great value for starting out! My personal setup worked great with the wall paint. Can't wait to get an upgrade later down the line and redo my theater room.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The HD20 gets better and better with bulb age. Mine is still low hrs and is getting more and more use during the NBA finals.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

Old 05-07-2015, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They're still having focus issues?

thanks
Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pessoa View Post
They're still having focus issues?

thanks
Sounds like a statement, but you have a ? at the end. Are you asking if the HD20 has focus issues? I do not think the HD20 has changed since it first came out. The focusing is fine. But the lens is really loose and so it's easy for it to come out of focus between uses if it is not permanently mounted in a stable location. If you mount it where there is a floor above it, the ceiling shake may cause it to slowly come out of focus over time. In my previous one-story house with the HD20 ceiling mounted, rarely needed to be refocused over the 4 years I was there. And even then it was more because I wanted to make sure it was in focus. Not because it looked out of focus. I would not say the HD20 has any focus issues.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Non-returnable OEM Optoma HD20 Lamp

Our 5-year old projector began shutting down, no warning display. Solid red bulb light and blinking amber standby/on/off light. Reset the hour meter and cleaned dust, no dice. We ordered a new lamp from Optoma for $240+tax and cleaned thoroughly, even the color wheel, and installed new lamp. It stayed on longer this time, about 10-15 minutes, then shut down again - no warning. We cannot return the lamp, only defective lamps will be replaced. If we send back the lamp and they find it isn't defective, they will bill us for their time and send the lamp back to us at our cost. So now we've got a new lamp we paid $280 for and a projector that doesn't work. It would cost as much to get the main board replaced (if that is the problem) than a new projector. We can buy a new HD26 for $640 + tax, does anyone have any advise about what to do with this HD20 lamp?
Old Today, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgarcia View Post
Our 5-year old projector began shutting down, no warning display. Solid red bulb light and blinking amber standby/on/off light. Reset the hour meter and cleaned dust, no dice. We ordered a new lamp from Optoma for $240+tax and cleaned thoroughly, even the color wheel, and installed new lamp. It stayed on longer this time, about 10-15 minutes, then shut down again - no warning. We cannot return the lamp, only defective lamps will be replaced. If we send back the lamp and they find it isn't defective, they will bill us for their time and send the lamp back to us at our cost. So now we've got a new lamp we paid $280 for and a projector that doesn't work. It would cost as much to get the main board replaced (if that is the problem) than a new projector. We can buy a new HD26 for $640 + tax, does anyone have any advise about what to do with this HD20 lamp?
Not really many options. Since you can't return the lamp, you are left with selling it yourself on ebay, Craigslist, etc. This is a common scenario with budget projectors. Often it's better to just replace the whole projector instead of repairs. Often a different story for $3000+ projectors.

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector