AVS Forum banner

*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread

866K views 4K replies 719 participants last post by  HD1080i 
#1 ·
Looks like a contender for new budget king besides the unproven Vivitek.

All Best Buy Stores Release date 9/6/09

Optoma HD20 $1099.99

Weight 6.4 lbs

short throw distance/ max screen size 4-5 feet

1080p native 1920x1080

1700 Lumens

2500:1 Contrast ratio

16:9 4:3 and 16:10

DLP

Brilliantcolor by Texas Instruments

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRiderX /forum/post/16944150

So tempting!

YES Very! But after seeing this I'm going to wait. It finally has a shipping date of 8/15 (only a week) and it looks like its worth the wait. Its 1800lumens and 5000:1 contrast VS Hd20 1700lumens and 4000:1 contrast. Its also a little smaller.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...ivitek+H1080FD

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/16945272

YES Very! But after seeing this I'm going to wait. It finally has a shipping date of 8/15 (only a week) and it looks like its worth the wait. Its 1800lumens and 5000:1 contrast VS Hd20 1700lumens and 4000:1 contrast. Its also a little smaller.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...ivitek+H1080FD

You wanna bet this is the same unit? Or at least same design model with inflated numbers?

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/16945302

You wanna bet this is the same unit? Or at least same design model with inflated numbers?

I just realised that the vivitech didnt mention a 500:1 ansi contrast ratio, just a 5000:1 on and off contrast. Either there the same unit, or this one isnt as good because of the contrast. Anyone know the ansi of the vivitech?

I guess they both have there ups and downs, the Hd20 has 4000h lamp.. the other is 3000h.. hmm so hard to decide!

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/16945483

I just realised that the vivitech didnt mention a 500:1 ansi contrast ratio, just a 5000:1 on and off contrast. Either there the same unit, or this one isnt as good because of the contrast. Anyone know the ansi of the vivitech?

I guess they both have there ups and downs, the Hd20 has 4000h lamp.. the other is 3000h.. hmm so hard to decide!

Well, im not saying that one is better than the other. One might be better but by how much I dont know and there is allready positive reviews on the optoma hd200x which is the same unit but for canada.

#33 ·
It's been a while since I've had a projector, I just might jump back in with this unit. I loved my old Optoma H30 - awesome color, great contrast, amazing scaler (HD material looked quite a bit better than SD material...even though the projector res was lower than 480p). Optoma definitely makes quality gear. And this blows the old H30 away, at least going by the specs. It's also far better than my second projector, the Infocus SP5000, and even my current 38" LCD TV. And for only $999! We sure live in good times.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamwriter /forum/post/16945820

It's been a while since I've had a projector, I just might jump back in with this unit. I loved my old Optoma H30 - awesome color, great contrast, amazing scaler (HD material looked quite a bit better than SD material...even though the projector res was lower than 480p). Optoma definitely makes quality gear. And this blows the old H30 away, at least going by the specs. It's also far better than my second projector, the Infocus SP5000, and even my current 38" LCD TV. And for only $999! We sure live in good times.

Wow you almost described what I've owned lol. I first owned a x1 projector, then an x3. Then i moved onto the infocus sp5000 (which was a really great projector)

I was going to get the viewsonic pro8100, but that unit is way to big, plus this one has much better lumen's. I also decided against it because i wanted to try DLP this time around. I've always owned LCD and its been good, but i seen DLP at bestbuy and figured i'll give this one a go.

I just bought my HD20, So i hope to be useing it very soon! Hopefully VisualApex get's these out tomorrow!

I decided on this one, for 2 reasons. 1) we know its 500:1 ANSI 2) it has a 4000 hour lamp, compared to the vivitech. Lastly i want a Projector now, and i looked back at projectorcentral, it says preorder before the 15th for free shipping and actually nothing about a shipping date. So i was like F that, Projectorcentral just lost my business, and bought an HD20 from Visualapex. I'll post a review once i receive it. Like others will as well I'm sure.

I figured ill keep it for a year or two, then sell it and upgrade.

#35 ·
Just got a HD20 for testing. For the money its a nice machine. Nice punchy picture (good ansi), with not so good black level. Fan noise is ok.

The measuerments are 1400:1 on/off, and ~600 lumens at 6500k and low lamp mode.

(measured with light meter)

Without true CMS it was not possible to calibrate the colors perfectly, but te results are not so bad... I liked the picture for the money, except the not so good on/off contrast...

Overall: better than expected... good colors, very good ansi, clean image, average rainbows, below average on/off, and the optics are ok...

Calibrated measurements (by the Eye-One)

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balagee /forum/post/16948041

Just got a HD20 for testing. For the money its a nice machine. Nice punchy picture (good ansi), with not so good black level. Fan noise is ok.

Without true CMS it was not possible to calibrate the colors perfectly, but te results are not so bad... I liked the picture for the money, except the not so good on/off contrast...

Overall: better than expected... good colors, very good ansi, clean image, average rainbows, below average on/off, and the optics are ok...

How about some screenshots?

I just got my Fedez tracking a few minutes ago...mine will be here tomorrow.

#37 ·
I dont do screenshots. It's not possible to show the dynamic range and the true colors of a projector through a cheap digital camera and a computer monitor...

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balagee /forum/post/16948237

I dont do screenshots. It's not possible to show the dynamic range and the true colors of a projector through a cheap digital camera and a computer monitor...

ok....

#39 ·
Just pulled the trigger. order this baby. The lamp life coupled with the price how can you go wrong??? Hopefully it will ship soon. Now all I have to do is run all the wires, build a screen, build a rear floor for the raised back row, paint the walls and ceiling.

Sigh......

#40 ·
A friend of mine just ordered a HD20, and wants to build a screen that can be moved indoors and outdoors as needed. I was thinking along the lines of 72"x128" Wilsonart designer white laminate on a reinforced wooden frame. Is this appropriate?

EDIT: I can't find any laminate sheets wider than 5'x12' - it's probably going to end up as 60" x 106".

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/16948178

How about some screenshots?

I just got my Fedez tracking a few minutes ago...mine will be here tomorrow.

You must have ordered 1 day shipping! I bought it last night, got it shipped today and will be here Friday. I bought second day shipping. I also live in Davis CA, which is next to you lol

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/16950547

You must have ordered 1 day shipping! I bought it last night, got it shipped today and will be here Friday. I bought second day shipping. I also live in Davis CA, which is next to you lol

LOL...so you ended up getting one cool.....I go to davis once a week.

It only cost 65$ for 1 day shipping!! So, I said screw it....Now we can use this thread to share settings and stuff ...sweet!

#43 ·
This is getting more and more interesting!

We are finally start getting some End User reviews!

Rew

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by balagee /forum/post/16948041

Your measurements pretty much confirm what my eye told me: about the same lumen output as the HD65 but slightly lower on/off contrast(basically the same as my Epson 720, which is not that great). Without Brilliant color, it's not as punchy as the HD65 and really an inferior machine except for being 1080p. I returned it and am now waiting for my Viewsonic Pro8100...a steal at only $250 more.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/16950577

LOL...so you ended up getting one cool.....I go to davis once a week.

It only cost 65$ for 1 day shipping!! So, I said screw it....Now we can use this thread to share settings and stuff ...sweet!

Yeah thats what it was going to cost me, but after i finally made my order it ended up in stock and the price went up. 1 day was $77 after that. I got 2nd day for $50. All that mattered to me was getting it before the weekend.

What part of sac do you stay at? What type of screen setup do you have?

I have a 100" electric 1.3gain white screen that i got off ebay for $250 a year ago and its really nice. I was surprised with the quality of the cheap screen. I used it with a PT-AE1000u and it looked nice. I hope this projector looks equal to it if not better. I sold my other projector a year ago because of financial issues.

I cant wait to checkout this unit. I need to learn to calibrate now. For now ill just get a calibration disc.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol /forum/post/16950691

Your measurements pretty much confirm what my eye told me: about the same lumen output as the HD65 but slightly lower on/off contrast(basically the same as my Epson 720, which is not that great). Without Brilliant color, it's not as punchy as the HD65 and really an inferior machine except for being 1080p. I returned it and am now waiting for my Viewsonic Pro8100...a steal at only $250 more.

Inferior?

Harsh words for a sub 1k 1080p dont you think?

And how is the Viewsonic better...elaborate thanks.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/16950735

Inferior?

Harsh words for a sub 1k 1080p dont you think?

And how is the Viewsonic better...elaborate thanks.

I agree with you here, mostly because of the fact that the viewsonic is an LCD projector. I have read over an over on here that ANSI contrast is better than on and off, on top of that i have heard that a low contrast on and off on a dlp is like a high contrast lcd when compaired to each other.

Everyone's setup is different, 1) it depends on your what type of screen you have. 2) it depends on the lighting. 3) it depends whether or not your walls are painted, or if you have windows. All these factors can cause color and lumen issues. Just like any protector. Not even a high cost projector can fix these issues. Its up to you to create the right setup. As for measuring ANSI and contrast, again every detail of your setup can determine whether or not you get good ansi. You can have a bad setup and get 50:1 on and off contrast.

deez although you bought the Pro8100, you really cant go off the on and off contrast ratio. What if you hook it up and it looks worse. Like i mentioned there it so many factors. You should have com paired them side by side to see which one works best for you, with your current setup. They also need to be calibrated for best looks.

The projector is also only 1k.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol /forum/post/16950691

Read this thread, it has lots of good info on contrast.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=761806

and
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1111029

and some more info here
http://www.avforums.com/forums/proje...-contrast.html

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 /forum/post/16950727

Yeah thats what it was going to cost me, but after i finally made my order it ended up in stock and the price went up. 1 day was $77 after that. I got 2nd day for $50. All that mattered to me was getting it before the weekend.

What part of sac do you stay at? What type of screen setup do you have?

I have a 100" electric 1.3gain white screen that i got off ebay for $250 a year ago and its really nice. I was surprised with the quality of the cheap screen. I used it with a PT-AE1000u and it looked nice. I hope this projector looks equal to it if not better. I sold my other projector a year ago because of financial issues.

I cant wait to checkout this unit. I need to learn to calibrate now. For now ill just get a calibration disc.

Hey man, I ma using a Elitescreens cinegrey fixed frame 1.0 gain at 106".

I love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.