Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4001 Old 08-28-2009, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOCK109 View Post

I just installed this projector using the monoprice mount and it seems to be pretty flexible....and its cheap.

Can you adjust the height on the monoprice? I don't really want to be restricted by the ceiling height or have to tilt the projector down to get lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4001 Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman View Post

http://www.projectorcentral.com/opto...ter_review.htm

The thing that really jumped out at me was, " the HD20 measured 456:1 ANSI contrast in our tests."

That's pretty outstanding ANSI contrast. It's nice to see the competition heat up in the $1000 range. I'm really interested to see a three-way comparison between the Optoma, Vivitek & Benq. Off specs alone the Vivitek might prove to be the sleeper hit in the bunch. By the end of September a lot more will be know about this entirely new segment in projectors.

And also just saw this over at projectorreviews

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...or-under-1000/

Great, I am not going to make any decision until I read Art's review.
post #633 of 4001 Old 08-28-2009, 10:47 PM

From Projectorreviews.com:

Hi Scott,

I'm at a loss. Just spent 5 minutes looking around projector people's site for the comparison. Send a link, if you have one.

BTW, I'll be posting the HD20 review either Sunday, or Monday night. For $999 it's fairly impressive. However, that said, it is really no match for a projector like the 6500UB, although it can do some things better (it's brighter in best mode, for example, but the Epson has any number of modes that are brighter still, have better black levels, etc.

Comparing it to the 6100, or the Sanyo Z700 or other low cost DLP's would make more sense, but, on the other hand, for some, it's spend $1000 now, upgrade later, or spend $2500 now, type scenarios.

Stay tuned! -art
post #634 of 4001 Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

From Projectorreviews.com:

Hi Scott,

I’m at a loss. Just spent 5 minutes looking around projector people’s site for the comparison. Send a link, if you have one.

BTW, I’ll be posting the HD20 review either Sunday, or Monday night. For $999 it’s fairly impressive. However, that said, it is really no match for a projector like the 6500UB, although it can do some things better (it’s brighter in best mode, for example, but the Epson has any number of modes that are brighter still, have better black levels, etc.

Comparing it to the 6100, or the Sanyo Z700 or other low cost DLP’s would make more sense, but, on the other hand, for some, it’s “spend $1000 now, upgrade later, or spend $2500 now, type scenarios.

Stay tuned! -art

Hello Art. Thanks for checking in. I just read the info in your blog about the HD20. I'm concerned about 2 things: The black levels, and how loud you say it is. Were you referring to low power or high power mode? Would you say the black levels are at least as good as the Mits. HD1000? That's what I have now. Thanks.
post #635 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 12:57 AM

I have heard the HD20 and it is quiet in the eco mode.Sitting with the pj 3ft from my ear it was no louder than my Planar PD7010 which I consider to be quiet.

When switching to high power mode it was vey loud,like a hair dryer.As long as you don't need the extra brightness this pj is quiet enough.
post #636 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I saw the HD20 yesterday.
post #637 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 03:35 AM

post #638 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 03:56 AM

Well those reviews were basically what I expected for a $1000 projector. I'm kind of fearing the fan noise as the PLV-Z3 I had before was pretty quiet. I'm using a ceiling mount right above my head. The projector arrives on Tuesday, will give my unprofessional opinion then.
post #639 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 AM

Liked: 13
I have the monoprice mount. It comes with a 3" tube and a 6" tube. Thats all you get for vertical adjustment other than the tilt.

1st post, 1st projector. Just got it delivered yesterday from visual apex. Monoprice: mount, flat HDMI cables, powered 4x1 switch, powered 1x2 splitter. I have an 88" BOC over wood frame screen that I painted with Sherwin Williams Gray Screen.

I have nothing to compare it to. All I can say is its awesome to me. I have it in my living room with lots of ambient light. Looks fine to me. I can see how the gray screen helps.

For inputs I have:

Dish VIP622 HD DVR
Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray
XBox 360

I have HDMI issues. I believe its related to the splitter as I had the other stuff before. I am randomly dropping my handshake to the projector and the 42" sony I have connected with the splitter.

I also see the rainbows if I flick my eyes across the screen quickly. Under normal viewing I see nothing. I have to try to see them.
post #640 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I watched my first movie last night on the HD20. Like I said before, I'm coming from the HD72.

When I fired up the projector, I placed it in Cinema mode, Econo-mode for the bulb and no Image AI. I also threw up a color test pattern from the DVI disc and did some simple color, brightness and contract calibrations. I'm using a 106" grey screen.

When I got my HD72 3 years ago, I calibrated it using the spider light meter and Calman. I managed to get a really good D6500K grey scale through all brightness levels. Very impressive picture.

When I fired up my new HD20 last night and did the quick color bar calibrations, the difference was between night and day. The picture on the HD20 is amazing and much better than the HD72. Colors are vibrant and the picture is quite bright even in econo mode. There is also less of a screen door effect so you can sit within 6 feet of the screen and still see no screen door at all. I haven't even calibrated the HD20 yet and it already looks better than my calibrated HD72.

For those worried about fan noise, don't be. I didn't try ImageAI yet but when it's turned off, the fan noise is barely noticeable. I also had the bulb in econo-mode. It's actually quieter than the HD72. My only real complaint is that the fan exhaust port is on the front of the projector. There is also light from the light bulb coming from this port as well. I was concerned that this extra light out the front of the projector would interfere with what's on the screen. It doesn't. The vents are angled off to the side so the fan air and light are all diverted to the side.

I must say I'm impressed. The image is quite remarkable for a $1000 1080p projector. Quite frankly I think ImageAI is not needed. As far as brightness, it works just fine with the bulb in econo-mode even if there is some light in the room.

BTW, last night I was using a PS3 in 1080p 60HZ mode. I tried 1080p 24. Both looked good but can't decide which one is better. I also switched between a HD-DVD player, Roku Netflix Box, AppleTV and DirecTV HR20 through my HDMI switching system. Switching wasn't any faster or slower than the HD72. I don't think it really matters which projector you get. HDMI handshaking will always be the weakest link when switching between components. If course, I didn't try switching between the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 ports on the HD20 so I can't tell you what happens there.

Definitely a great projector for the price!
edward27 likes this.

Chris Blount
post #641 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 AM

Liked: 13
After messing around some more I believe the Dish VIP622 HD box is the culprit. It can't talk to 2 device at once for long via HDMI. I went from the satellite box to the 42" Sony with component and then HDMI from satellite box to the switch with the Xbox and blu-ray player on it and then to the projector. No issues (had a sparkly cable but swapped it out).

I put the blu-ray player on the HDMI splitter and it holds its handshake with the 42" (directly connected from the splitter) and with the PJ from the splitter through the switch to the PJ.

Little complicated.
post #642 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 05:45 AM

Thanks Chris,

Nice "real world" review.

As you said, "Definitely a great projector for the price!"
post #643 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviezNFootball View Post

Looks like a few members have used the monoprice mount for this projector (including Deez). Any tips?
I noticed one poster didn't use the arms. Everyone else do the same? If you used the arms how did you position them? Did you get the projector mounted on center of gravity?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's the Monoprice mount on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSUfb08fes

Optoma mounting holes are too close in for using Monoprice mount arms. Just use the base piece's slots. The Monoprice ships with M4 screws...but the Optoma uses M3. I found Hillman M3-.50x16 machine screws at local Lowe's Hardware section. (HomeDepot didn't have them). Washers are included but Spacers may be needed. Be aware the Monoprice has no height adjust and can drift. The bottom nut and bolt adjustment to prevent drift is nearly impossible to tighten with the pj mounted. For this reason I modified and use my Mit HC1500 mount purchased here: http://www.projectormountstore.com/p...products_id=38
LL
LL
LL
post #644 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 AM

Liked: 11
Chris, good to read a real-time review from an experienced projector owner. Thanks. What are your impressions of black level? I'm obviously not expecting levels even close to the Epson 6500UB, but I was hoping for an incremental improvement over the HD72/HD70/HD65. Any improvement over my HD70 would be welcome and more than acceptable. My personal expectations are reasonable...it's only a $999 projector. Also, any early RBE concerns to note?
post #645 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post

Can you adjust the height on the monoprice? I don't really want to be restricted by the ceiling height or have to tilt the projector down to get lower.

Its not dynamically adjustable, but there are two different size drops that come with it. One is around 3" and the other about 8"" I didn't measure so that is just a guess.
post #646 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviezNFootball View Post

Looks like a few members have used the monoprice mount for this projector (including Deez). Any tips?
I noticed one poster didn't use the arms. Everyone else do the same? If you used the arms how did you position them? Did you get the projector mounted on center of gravity?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I installed it exactly like the video posted earlier showed.
post #647 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman View Post

http://www.projectorcentral.com/opto...ter_review.htm

The thing that really jumped out at me was, " the HD20 measured 456:1 ANSI contrast in our tests."

That's pretty outstanding ANSI contrast. It's nice to see the competition heat up in the $1000 range. I'm really interested to see a three-way comparison between the Optoma, Vivitek & Benq. Off specs alone the Vivitek might prove to be the sleeper hit in the bunch. By the end of September a lot more will be know about this entirely new segment in projectors.

And also just saw this over at projectorreviews

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...or-under-1000/

456.1 that's huge and what I meant at my first look at the HD20 saying black to white contrast looks very good. Images are sharp and very 3D which is what we like about DLP.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #648 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

456.1 that's huge and what I meant at my first look at the HD20 saying black to white contrast looks very good. Images are sharp and very 3D which is what we like about DLP.

Tom, how do you respond to Art's comments in his blog? He said that just about all the 1080p's out there have better black levels. And that it's about the same as the Mits. HC4900. Are they at least as good as my HD1000, I wonder? Thanks.
post #649 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Does anyone have a 1:1 template of the mounting holes for the HD20? Or know where to down load one.

I ended up pulling the trigger and want to use my Cheif RPA ceiling mount but need to adapt it for this one.

Rew
post #650 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfield View Post

Chris, good to read a real-time review from an experienced projector owner. Thanks. What are your impressions of black level? I'm obviously not expecting levels even close to the Epson 6500UB, but I was hoping for an incremental improvement over the HD72/HD70/HD65. Any improvement over my HD70 would be welcome and more than acceptable. My personal expectations are reasonable...it's only a $999 projector. Also, any early RBE concerns to note?

Since I haven't calibrated it with a light meter yet I didn't want to comment on the black levels but from what I have seen, they are acceptable although not as good as more expensive projectors. As far as being better than the HD72, don't really know for sure yet. I will say that the black levels on the HD20 are not worse. Besides, the PQ improvement over the projectors you mention above is offset by any issues there might be with the black level.

As I said before, for $1K, this projector is a great value.

Chris Blount
post #651 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Tom, how do you respond to Art's comments in his blog? He said that just about all the 1080p's out there have better black levels. And that it's about the same as the Mits. HC4900. Are they at least as good as my HD1000, I wonder? Thanks.

Blacks do look black to me and detail in the blacks is great also. Once I run colorfacts I can get a number reading of how low the blacks are. Plus a CR reading. I'll get the lumens with a light meter.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #652 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 03:56 PM

Does anyone know if I can use a 30ft hdmi 1.2a spec cable with this projector and my ps3??
or do i need a 1.3 cable? mono price has great prices on the 1.2a i did not see any 30ft 1.3 cables on there site
post #653 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

Does anyone have a 1:1 template of the mounting holes for the HD20? Or know where to down load one.Rew

Just look at page 46 of the HD20 Users's Manual. All the essential dimensions and measurements are diagrammed there.
post #654 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllo View Post

Does anyone know if I can use a 30ft hdmi 1.2a spec cable with this projector and my ps3??
or do i need a 1.3 cable? mono price has great prices on the 1.2a i did not see any 30ft 1.3 cables on there site

Check out this 1.3b certified, category 2, CL3-inwall-rated cable for only $19
Dayton HR13C210 High-Speed HDMI Cable V1.3 C2 CL3 10m (33ft)
post #655 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Edit: Doh, thought I saw 1.3a in the specs, not 1.2a. Which means you wouldn't be able to send DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio through the cable to a receiver to be decompressed. No other (useful) difference.

"Playing this game is like having your eyes slit open with straight razors, filled with baby spider eggs, then re-sealed, and then being treated to the sensation of hundreds of tiny, venemous little arachnids bursting into being behind your pupils, consuming everything they can touch, and feeling...
post #656 of 4001 Old 08-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianbrandt View Post

Just look at page 46 of the HD20 Users's Manual. All the essential dimensions and measurements are diagrammed there.

Yes, I know that was not what I asked. But thanks

Rew
post #657 of 4001 Old 08-30-2009, 04:53 AM

Thanks guys I think I will get the dayton 33 ft looks like a great deal.
post #658 of 4001 Old 08-30-2009, 05:09 AM

I am wondering if any one else thinks that my screen size maybe to small for this bright of a projector. I am only projecting 88" 16x9 at about 10.5 ft and when the movies fade to a dark or black screen the blacks look really light almost like the screen is backlit . I am coming from a 4805 and the blacks looked much darker. I have ran the thx tests for brightness and contrast. My screen a painted with behr silver screen paint same that the 4805 was shooting on and i am in low bulb mode and AI is turned off. any ideas??
maybe a nd filter(did not use one on 4805)?? defective?

Thanks
post #659 of 4001 Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys I think I will get the dayton 33 ft looks like a great deal.

That looks like a real good deal, they make really good products, i built some speakers with there drivers top quality, i am sure there cables should be great too.
post #660 of 4001 Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Try a ND filter, back when people used them on the 4805.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page