*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i just seen a INfocus x10 at my local store, and was not impressed!
So much so, that i would not consider it for upgrading my optoma HD70, not worth it at all...

No HD20's around here yet ( AU ), so would love to see some good quality screen shots of some top movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 07:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

Grey is the only way to go for me....it makes colors richer and improves black levels for the cheaper units like this from what ive read....also, i got mine with black backing and it cost less than $500.

Be sure to post your review when you get it today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgferg67 View Post

I read the review, but the reviewer does not go into alot of detail about the black levels with different iris settings. Peoples opinions about the X10 are all over the board. Some claim DC23/ black levels can be achieved through the iris settings.One user in the AVforums prefers it to his IN78(DC3 chip) another claims his Infocus 4805 has better black levels.

Read this, it should help you get more update with the new technology of projectors and help you decide whats best for you.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp_comparison.htm
post #63 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the SS and yes your camera sucks.

My hd20 is on truck for delivery!!!

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #64 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the SS and yes your camera sucks.

My hd20 is on truck for delivery!!!

I think it's half the camera and half the photographer; I can't take a picture to save my life!

In my quick half-assed setup I found that it seemed way too bright out of the box, as if the picture was almost washed out. This was in a fully dark room at like 3am so there was no outside light. The walls in the room are still beige and the ceiling white, so I'm wondering if that caused enough problems to make the PQ drop so much?

I found if I dropped the brightness down to 0 it looked better, but it certainly shouldn't have to go that low I wouldn't think!

LNT4661F
PS3, X360, Wii
Pioneer HTP-2990 5.1 Surround
post #65 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balagee View Post

Just got a HD20 for testing. For the money its a nice machine. Nice punchy picture (good ansi), with not so good black level. Fan noise is ok.

The measuerments are 1400:1 on/off, and ~600 lumens at 6500k and low lamp mode.
(measured with light meter)

Without true CMS it was not possible to calibrate the colors perfectly, but te results are not so bad... I liked the picture for the money, except the not so good on/off contrast...

Overall: better than expected... good colors, very good ansi, clean image, average rainbows, below average on/off, and the optics are ok...

Calibrated measurements (by the Eye-One)

What tools did you use to measure this? Also was it the HD20 or HD200x? I thought the HD20 was for the USA?
post #66 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCHRISx View Post

I think it's half the camera and half the photographer; I can't take a picture to save my life!

In my quick half-assed setup I found that it seemed way too bright out of the box, as if the picture was almost washed out. This was in a fully dark room at like 3am so there was no outside light. The walls in the room are still beige and the ceiling white, so I'm wondering if that caused enough problems to make the PQ drop so much?

I found if I dropped the brightness down to 0 it looked better, but it certainly shouldn't have to go that low I wouldn't think!

Do you have a calibration disc or are you setting brightness by eye?

On my hd65 the brightness was at -6! and it was still very bright and punchy.

post #67 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I have an Avia disc that I will use when I have everything properly mounted but last night was just by eye. The default brightness on Cinema mode was 37 I believe so I had to crank it down quite a bit.

LNT4661F
PS3, X360, Wii
post #68 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

What tools did you use to measure this? Also was it the HD20 or HD200x? I thought the HD20 was for the USA?

Its OPTOMA HD20 (europe)

Calibration tools: X-rite Eye-One Display2 + HCFR

Contrast was measuerd with a digital lux meter ( with this light meter I usually get very close results to Cine4Home.de test results)

- balagee -
post #69 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCHRISx View Post

Here are a couple screenshots of my HD200x on an Accuscreens 100" electric screen.

Keep in mind a few things: my camera is a crappy point-and-shoot, the projector is not mounted and was just sitting on a box, my screen is not completely leveled yet and I didn't touch any of the settings on the PJ, it's stock out of the box.

I'm hoping to have it ceiling mounted by the weekend and my wife takes better photos than I do, so I'll have some more, higher quality pics at that time. Sorry for the crappy quality of these pics, they don't do the projector justice but there haven't really been many screenshots posted yet.

If there are too many photos I apologize, feel free to edit mods.

Screenshots looks very nice to me.
I think in reality, they look much more better.

Could you post some more screenshots, especially from movies (blu-ray)
when the picture is paused ???
post #70 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Looks like projector people did there own quick review of it with screen shots still not high res ones but they look good.
http://articles.projectorpeople.com/...-hd-projector/
post #71 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKETENJONNY View Post

Screenshots looks very nice to me.
I think in reality, they look much more better.

Could you post some more screenshots, especially from movies (blu-ray)
when the picture is paused ???

Yeah, once everything is set up properly I'll take some better quality shots, I only have a handful of Blurays (Iron Man, 300, Harry Potter (wifes) and Talladega Nights) but it should still give you an idea.

LNT4661F
PS3, X360, Wii
post #72 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugganutz View Post

Looks like projector people did there own quick review of it with screen shots still not high res ones but they look good.

They have much better blacks than my setup, I'll have to do some tweaking!

LNT4661F
PS3, X360, Wii
post #73 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Those photos on there look really good. I cant wait to get mine tomorrow
post #74 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasol View Post

Your measurements pretty much confirm what my eye told me: about the same lumen output as the HD65 but slightly lower on/off contrast(basically the same as my Epson 720, which is not that great). Without Brilliant color, it's not as punchy as the HD65 and really an inferior machine except for being 1080p. I returned it and am now waiting for my Viewsonic Pro8100...a steal at only $250 more.

Harsh? [erased a much harsher post here] Important note to anyone considering this PJ - Novasol bought a canadian 200x, not the HD20 - and given that he is certain his pj didn't have Brilliant Color and the HD20 absolutely does, as noted in the spec sheets produced by Optoma themselves - his observations and experience should not be used as a guide in purchasing the HD20.

Fundamental feature differences between the HD20 and 200x would explain why the 20 has higher lumens and better contrast than the 200x - let's wait until folks get their hands on the PJ that is actually the subject of this threat before passing judgment about abilities and performance.

Optoma HD200x is NOT the HD20.
post #75 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Did the projector arrive? If so How does it look? Do you see rainbows? I've never seen a DLP (other than a theater since there all dlp) so i hope i dont see any.
post #76 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm88 View Post

Harsh? [erased a much harsher post here] Important note to anyone considering this PJ - Novasol bought a canadian 200x, not the HD20 - and given that he is certain his pj didn't have Brilliant Color and the HD20 absolutely does, as noted in the spec sheets produced by Optoma themselves - his observations and experience should not be used as a guide in purchasing the HD20.

Fundamental feature differences between the HD20 and 200x would explain why the 20 has higher lumens and better contrast than the 200x - let's wait until folks get their hands on the PJ that is actually the subject of this threat before passing judgment about abilities and performance.

Optoma HD200x is NOT the HD20.

I've read both the HD200x and HD20 manuals. None of them mention brilliant colour.
I think this is odd considering the marketing information. I wonder which is right?
post #77 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 03:30 PM

It looks like they had more on flickr then what was in the article even. http://www.flickr.com/photos/project...gs/optomahd20/ check er out!
post #78 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:

It looks like they had more on flickr then what was in the article even. http://www.flickr.com/photos/project...gs/optomahd20/ check er out!

Wow, thanks for the post, those photos look really good. It looks like the red is a little to much in some of the kung fu panda photos, but that can be adjusted. The blacks look great.
post #79 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

Did the projector arrive? If so How does it look? Do you see rainbows? I've never seen a DLP (other than a theater since there all dlp) so i hope i dont see any.

Just got it and set it up...here are some pics....

Arrival

Packed Very well...

Whats in box

Set up dvd....

post #80 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Here it is....

Mini USB for possible firmware updates??? We can only hope....

The mount from monoprice...

post #81 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, After having set this up and using the BD version of DVE I am very happy with this purchase. Contrast is good and the shapness scale is very good.....the other 2 projectors I've had the HD70 and 65 did not have this good of sharpness and detail.

In these SS which are just from my Canon camera I could actually see beads of sweat on the womans skin above her lips...!

Also, this projector weighs more than I thought it would and seems very solid. Light leakage is nonexisten as Optoma changed the way they made thier vents so as you look at projector you see light but they turned vents in such a way as to not allow light out....very nice.

post #82 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post

I've read both the HD200x and HD20 manuals. None of them mention brilliant colour.
I think this is odd considering the marketing information. I wonder which is right?

It's not just the marketing information, the technical specification sheets, the sellers websites (their own info) and the press release (written at a different time and with different fact checking than a pre-manufacture spec sheet) all have Brilliant Color. Not to mention that they use the BC logo on their materials - folks tend to get a little testy when you use their logo without using their technology (and paying the associated licensing fees). This isn't some typo on a pre-engineering spec sheet - if they don't have BC, they would have a fairly big exposure once they go on sale.
post #83 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm88 View Post

It's not just the marketing information, the technical specification sheets, the sellers websites (their own info) and the press release (written at a different time and with different fact checking than a pre-manufacture spec sheet) all have Brilliant Color. Not to mention that they use the BC logo on their materials - folks tend to get a little testy when you use their logo without using their technology (and paying the associated licensing fees). This isn't some typo on a pre-engineering spec sheet - if they don't have BC, they would have a fairly big exposure once they go on sale.

Yes. It is a bit odd but the menu trees for both devices don't mention brilliant colour in the pdf manuals.
I hoping that someone with a real HD20 can verify one way or the other.
post #84 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks Deez,

I'm assuming that's west coast daylight on the screen and not terrible blacks?... (in that last shot)

Robert Clark
post #85 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Ok, After having set this up and using the BD version of DVE I am very happy with this purchase. Contrast is good and the shapness scale is very good.....the other 2 projectors I've had the HD70 and 65 did not have this good of sharpness and detail...

Nice photos

How is black level relative to the HD65 and does it have Brilliant Colour as a menu option?

Thanks.
post #86 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I try not to buy this type of stuff from Best Buy, but I need a new projector and don't have the cash readily available. Historically, how close to general release can one expect them to start stocking something like this?
post #87 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post

I try not to buy this type of stuff from Best Buy, but I need a new projector and don't have the cash readily available. Historically, how close to general release can one expect them to start stocking something like this?

In my experience Best Buy doesn't place much emphasis on projectors, pushing the tvs instead. You're best bet is to ask to be notified as to when it comes in or if they have it, as I've noticed sometimes my local BB keeps stuff like this in the back until they have shelf space for it. (Old models get sold)

I also noticed that my local BB puts many of the projectors out in two boxes. The outer box being the one that is shipped to the store itself. It generally has the store manager's name and shipping info right on it.
post #88 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

Thanks Deez,

I'm assuming that's west coast daylight on the screen and not terrible blacks?... (in that last shot)

Yes it was daylight and lousy camera. Backs are average (maybe above average) and better than hd70 and 65 to me.

post #89 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post

Nice photos

How is black level relative to the HD65 and does it have Brilliant Colour as a menu option?

Thanks.

No BC option but it does have many sub menus and adjustments to like gamma and stuff. I was able to adjust color on this unit quite easily using DVE and with the 65 and 70 not so much.

post #90 of 3996 Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I have roughly adjusted it and by no means am I a pro like some guys here are on doing a comprehensive adjustment to this unit. I will also say i think it has plent of sharpness...as I was ably to make test pattern bleed on DVE and with the 65 and 70 I couldnt.

Oh, BTW, it is quieter than the hd65 was and it is 8 inches closer to my head.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page