*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got mine back yesterday from Optoma. Watched The Kingdom last night and it looks awesome. There was no communication from Optoma as to what they might have done to fix it. When I power it up next, I will try to remember to see what firmware I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcosmos View Post

Got mine back yesterday from Optoma. Watched The Kingdom last night and it looks awesome. There was no communication from Optoma as to what they might have done to fix it. When I power it up next, I will try to remember to see what firmware I have.

So, minus weekends and holiday, Optoma's turn-around time was about 5 working days? That's pretty good! Hope all is okay now.
post #993 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are the cool off times short for anyone else? When I power off my unit it blows the fan for only about 15 seconds that completely shuts down.
post #994 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

Are the cool off times short for anyone else? When I power off my unit it blows the fan for only about 15 seconds that completely shuts down.

That's normal. The old days of running the fan for minutes was found to be bad for the lamp.
post #995 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
"bad for the lamp": you mean lamp flickering?

"...Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril..."
Don Quixote was a villain! http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Windmill
post #996 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrak View Post

"bad for the lamp": you mean lamp flickering?

As in micro-fractures developing in the quartz lamp from being cooled too fast, leading to premature failure; sometimes with a bang.
post #997 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

There are no lines when I use keystone. Firmware C02.

I've been watching tons of HD football on this projector. Man it looks great, nothing to complain about here. Try my tuning numbers specially the gamma change.

That would explain why some people get lines and some don't. I'm pretty sure it's firmware related. I have seen lines since Day 1. I bet the first set of projectors (preorders) where shipped to fast and missed the firmware update. They really need to provide a firmware update for those who did not get it and should not require you to ship it back to get that firmware update.
post #998 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
They don't want em back, lately they've set it up on the web. They're at Cedia all this week we'll find out next week.

Power off, left, left, up. Check your firmware

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #999 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:

They don't want em back, lately they've set it up on the web. They're at Cedia all this week we'll find out next week.

Power off, left, left, up. Check your firmware

Thanks, I already did that i have firmware C001.

I e-mailed optoma and im waiting to hear back they requested photos of my issues but i decided to film it instead. I sent them links to it so we'll see what they say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8iXIJz0KXM
Lines through screen when using keystone, but when you adjust keystone up or down they disappear. (seems to be common with most)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UuZ2eh_YhQ
Started with 1080p 50hz and switched to 1080p 24hz and the screen goes crazy. I turned the projector off (had to wait 2 mins for bulb safety timer to allow the projector to turn back on) and when i turned it back on the 1080p 24hz resolution now works. Every time i change resolutions it does the same thing.

Is anyone else experiencing any issues when switching resolutions??
post #1000 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try not to power off and on real quick, you should wait 2hrs before restarting.

Could be a HDMI PAL problem.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1001 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 PM

I still have firmware C001. My lamp had 40 hours on it and now it has 7 so I guess they must have replaced the lamp. I sure wished they had let me know what was wrong and what they did to correct it.

I was pleasantly surprised when it showed up yesterday. Watched LOTR The Two Towers tonight. It is nice to have it back. Watching movies or playing games on a 42" lcd just doesn't cut it after having 120".
post #1002 of 3999 Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Try not to power off and on real quick, you should wait 2hrs before restarting.

Could be a HDMI PAL problem.

I would think the same except that it does it with any change. If i change it from 60hz to 24hz it'll do it. If i change it from 60hz to 50hz it do it sometimes, but not all the time like any change to 24hz.

As for powering on an off, I've done it quite often because of the freezing going wack issue. If i want to watch a movie and i turn it on and switch resolutions it goes crazy. So waiting 2 hours wouldnt work since i never even got to use it longer than 5mins. I just hope a firmware fixes this issue, if not im shipping it back.
post #1003 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Hmmm, well I'm running firmware C002 (July 2009) and I have the keystone issues (you're of course running 1080p60 ?). And the info page displays the projector as a HD20, even though I have the HD200x.
post #1004 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 AM

As an original owner of an HD72 which had been serviced 3 times before being replaced due to the lamp driver issue. Now I've upgraded to the HD20 and am on my second projector in less than 30 days. After going through all the issues with my HD72 I finally received a reliable unit and it's been working perfectly for the last two years so I thought I would be safe in purchasing the HD20. The first unit worked for about 40 hours and then the color wheel went out as indicated by a loud buzzing noise and the screen flickering various color shades. Now the replacement unit has a fan noise issue and the lens is so loose that when I adjust the focus the image shifts to the right or left on the screen making it difficult to align the image. I've asked for a third replacement from Amazon but the will only allow me to return the unit for a refund. I'm really nervous about going past the typical 30 day return policy/exchange policy of most retailers and having to constantly send it back to Optoma for service waiting weeks in between repairs. At least with the HD72, Optoma offered their advanced replacement program but apparently with the HD20 that's not an option. I'm projecting to a 110 screen from ceiling mounted distance of 13 feet so my options are limited and was really hoping the HD20 would work out.
post #1005 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcosmos View Post

I sure wished they had let me know what was wrong and what they did to correct it.

I looked at my box today and they did send a repair report. The repair info reads: "Your projector has been repaired to factory specifications. All of the followparts (I didn't mistype that) have been replaced.

The part description reads: "REWORKED".

Repair Process:

Step1: After Repair, the unit is tested with all types of signals. If passed proceed to step 2.
Step2: Unit is burned in for 4hrs or more as required. If passed, proceed to step 3.
Step3: After 24hrs of cool down period, unit is tested again by the QA manager. The unit will ship only if the unit passes QA.

So I still don't know what they did or found wrong, but so far it is still working fine.
post #1006 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blow View Post

As an original owner of an HD72 which had been serviced 3 times before being replaced due to the lamp driver issue. Now I've upgraded to the HD20 and am on my second projector in less than 30 days. After going through all the issues with my HD72 I finally received a reliable unit and it's been working perfectly for the last two years so I thought I would be safe in purchasing the HD20. The first unit worked for about 40 hours and then the color wheel went out as indicated by a loud buzzing noise and the screen flickering various color shades. Now the replacement unit has a fan noise issue and the lens is so loose that when I adjust the focus the image shifts to the right or left on the screen making it difficult to align the image. I've asked for a third replacement from Amazon but the will only allow me to return the unit for a refund. I'm really nervous about going past the typical 30 day return policy/exchange policy of most retailers and having to constantly send it back to Optoma for service waiting weeks in between repairs. At least with the HD72, Optoma offered their advanced replacement program but apparently with the HD20 that's not an option. I'm projecting to a 110 screen from ceiling mounted distance of 13 feet so my options are limited and was really hoping the HD20 would work out.

On mine the lens isn't loose but when I focus the image slides left to right, it does that on my H79 also so it may not be an issue, as long as you can settle on a crisp spot and leave it. Fan noise should be very quiet in econo with no AI and no high altitude, check for those things.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1007 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 AM

With the lens on my replacement the image moves when you touch the focus ring and I can feel quite a bit of play where the first projector's focus ring is rock solid and there is no play. Also the fan noise is quite a bit louder on the replacement then on the first projector to the point where it's distracting while watching. I was surprised how quiet the first projector was and it seemed quieter then my HD72. Both pj's are set to economy mode with AI disabled and no high alt.
post #1008 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blow View Post

With the lens on my replacement the image moves when you touch the focus ring and I can feel quite a bit of play where the first projector's focus ring is rock solid and there is no play. Also the fan noise is quite a bit louder on the replacement then on the first projector to the point where it's distracting while watching. I was surprised how quiet the first projector was and it seemed quieter then my HD72. Both pj's are set to economy mode with AI disabled and no high alt.

You know what Maybe this is why some people on the forum swear there HD20 is quiet like mine, and some must have louder units somehow. Maybe the fan design changed or there was a set of defective fans that had a defect in the design of the turbine wheel. Who knows, but from you post after getting one back that's louder it would be my best guess. Maybe optoma found a way to make the fan cheaper and save money, but hurts with sound??
post #1009 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

You know what Maybe this is why some people on the forum swear there HD20 is quiet like mine, and some must have louder units somehow. Maybe the fan design changed or there was a set of defective fans that had a defect in the design of the turbine wheel. Who knows, but from you post after getting one back that's louder it would be my best guess. Maybe optoma found a way to make the fan cheaper and save money, but hurts with sound??

I would suspect that it has more to do with a new model being introduced with parts sourced from multiple manufacturers combine with incredible demand, being one of the first 1080p not just announced but actually available in volume, and poor quality control. I got off the phone with Amazon and they're going to send me a third unit when they become available (there currently on backorder until Oct 5th ) and extend the return period on the replacement I already received. If this third unit doesn't work out I'll probably be looking for an alternative like the Vivitek h1080fd. Hopefully there are some reviews on the Vivitek soon.
post #1010 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Try this:

Turn on keystone, change your value to -5, and keep it on.

Turn off/on the projector, using a 1080p60 input source.

At this point I see lines, and I bet you will too.

Now when you change the keystone value from -5 to anything else (say -4), then back to -5 the lines will go away. Power on/off. Lines will be there again!

Now if you change back to keystone = 0 , power on/off, you won't have any lines.
post #1011 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Just another quick note.
I finally got the mounting bracket modified and the pj aligned to the screen this last weekend. So I hope to look at probe calibration this weekend. work has been busy this week.

But as to the HD20 I find it hard not to really like it! Yes, I too would like a little better black level but the picture is really great which I can only attribute to the higher contrast ratio,

With just a little by eye tweaking yields a beautiful picture just using the pj's controls. For me this is the first time and this is my third in about 6 years. In each of the other two I had to use my VisionHDP to get good color. But not this time.

I don't find the fan noise bad at all and I am still on Brite Mode, Will go to normal soon now that I have 100hrs on lamp.

That's it for now; Hope to report some more latter this weekend.

Rew
post #1012 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

I mentioned this a few pages back, so excuse me if this is a stupid question!

My HD20 has a black window all the way around the frame. I looked and the area is definetly pixels that are completely blacked out. I just zoomed the picture onto the frame so you can't see them.

As suggested, I tried switching into all of the modes including Native and 16:9. Is this supposed to be there?
post #1013 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRiderX View Post

My HD20 has a black window all the way around the frame. I looked and the area is definetly pixels that are completely blacked out. I just zoomed the picture onto the frame so you can't see them.

As suggested, I tried switching into all of the modes including Native and 16:9. Is this supposed to be there?

Post a photo, it would help.
post #1014 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRiderX View Post

All the DLP machines have what I call a frame border it's normal. Just align the video area to your screen.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1015 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 PM

I'd love to see some more screen shots to tide me over till I have the cash. Hint, hint.
post #1016 of 3999 Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There's some nice ones on my HD20 review & screenshots thread. Really shows the pop the images have.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #1017 of 3999 Old 09-17-2009, 09:21 AM

I have been emailing Optoma Support about the keystone/lines issue. Just had a rather disappointing email response to a direct question concerning firmware updates. They have requested that I return the projector to them, and have sent me an RMA number. Hopefully what I'm being told is incorrect:

When I asked:

> Is there no way for me to update the firmware myself? What is the newest firmware
> rev?

The response was:

> The firmware can only be done here at Optoma. We are working on the new firmware so it should be available soon.

Let me say that Optoma has responded to my questions in a timely manner, and has been very professional in our interactions. I have absolutely no beef with them, but I find it rather short-sighted that a new projector does not have the ability to be firmware updated in the field.
post #1018 of 3999 Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:

There's some nice ones on my HD20 review & screenshots thread. Really shows the pop the images have.

I know some of you members don't like screenshots but I think it helps determine somewhat how great your projector can look, on that note I have a link from the european version of AVforums. From what I gather this guy tweeked his HD20 nicely and I see black level that is good enough for me as well as guitarman Tom's screenshots enjoyhttp://go.avforums.com/?id=223X354&u...0%2Findex.html

HT Set Up: Epson 8350, Sony Strd G-920, JBL 7.1 Venue series speakers, JBL Sub12 subwoofer, Harmony One remote, Xbox 360, PS3, Sony BDP S350, Toshiba HDA2, Directv HR-24 DVR.
post #1019 of 3999 Old 09-17-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troylavigne View Post

I have been emailing Optoma Support about the keystone/lines issue. Just had a rather disappointing email response to a direct question concerning firmware updates. They have requested that I return the projector to them, and have sent me an RMA number. Hopefully what I'm being told is incorrect:

When I asked:

> Is there no way for me to update the firmware myself? What is the newest firmware
> rev?

The response was:

> The firmware can only be done here at Optoma. We are working on the new firmware so it should be available soon.

Let me say that Optoma has responded to my questions in a timely manner, and has been very professional in our interactions. I have absolutely no beef with them, but I find it rather short-sighted that a new projector does not have the ability to be firmware updated in the field.

WHA that's ridiculous. I hope they are paying for shipping both ways. Stupid firmware costs people 2 weeks of downtime, that's just not right. Optoma should have put the new firmware in all projectors instead of screwing up and letting old firmware out. Not very smart of Optoma!

Man i dont want to loose my PJ for 2 weeks, Dam Now i just want my money back... eerrrhhh im over the 30 day mark anyways.
post #1020 of 3999 Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 PM

They do pay for shipping both ways if under warranty, that's good.

Firmware mistakes/bugs happen... that doesn't really bother me, especially if they are fixed in a timely manner. Not having a way to update firmware in the field is ridiculous. A $20 wireless modem can be upgraded in the field...

See, if you were Canadian like me and buying from the store that we dare not speak of, you'd have a 90 day return policy :^). The bad news, it's no longer being sold online. I've asked them why, no response yet.

If I pushed Optoma a bit, I wonder if I could guilt them into sending me a new one before I return the old one; perhaps using a credit card as collateral? Worth trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

WHA that's ridiculous. I hope they are paying for shipping both ways. Stupid firmware costs people 2 weeks of downtime, that's just not right. Optoma should have put the new firmware in all projectors instead of screwing up and letting old firmware out. Not very smart of Optoma!

Man i dont want to loose my PJ for 2 weeks, Dam Now i just want my money back... eerrrhhh im over the 30 day mark anyways.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page