Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 3999 Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

if I bought an Aveo with a warranty and it only ran on 3 of the 4 cyls but still drove and ran, then YES, I would expect GM to fix it.

3 blurry lines out of 1080, during some applications, no one else has the problem, on an otherwise brilliant $1k pj
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

And I am the one being unreasonable?

Yes

Not an attack, just disagreeing. How about we trade my niggling problem for yours?

Happy HD20 owner, ~400 hrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 3999 Old 04-09-2010, 05:17 AM

Okay, totally new to Projectors. Looking to buy a new house and going to make a Theater Room. Dimensions are 10' x 18'. Ceiling is about 7 feet high. What type of screen (size, gain, electric?) should I look for? Also what distance should I mount it? A mount recommendation would be great too!!!

Any help is appreciated!
post #1953 of 3999 Old 04-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Liked: 10
i've owned my hd20 for about 6 months and running at about 750hrs and i am very happy with my purchase.

i have noticed the pixel delay but is not something that concerns me enough to do anything about.

anyone wanting to be able to see the problem should download the test files below. one of them (cant remember which one exactly) shows up the problem pretty clearly. i think i set the source to output at 1080p.

http://www.w6rz.net/judder.zip
post #1954 of 3999 Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by custarduk View Post

i've owned my hd20 for about 6 months and running at about 750hrs and i am very happy with my purchase.

i have noticed the pixel delay but is not something that concerns me enough to do anything about.

anyone wanting to be able to see the problem should download the test files below. one of them (cant remember which one exactly) shows up the problem pretty clearly. i think i set the source to output at 1080p.

http://www.w6rz.net/judder.zip

Thanks for those .ts files. Perfect to show the issue. While I am not saying it's a show stopper issue. Just saying that I thought it was a pretty obvious flaw and was just shocked that Optoma was blaming it on it being an "entry level" projector.

Anyway. I will make a video to show the issue. Though I wonder how well it will show up in a video lol. I have 75+ days left to play with it and decide if I want to spend $500 more for the Mits HC3800 or something else, etc. But I would like to have a projector from Costco. The 2 year Costco warranty means a lot to me. So we will see.
post #1955 of 3999 Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggNewt View Post

Okay, totally new to Projectors. Looking to buy a new house and going to make a Theater Room. Dimensions are 10' x 18'. Ceiling is about 7 feet high. What type of screen (size, gain, electric?) should I look for? Also what distance should I mount it? A mount recommendation would be great too!!!
Any help is appreciated!

For advice on screen selection and pj distance you need to provide more info. Things like: seating distance, screen type, amount of ambient light, what you watch (sports/movies), budget, etc.
post #1956 of 3999 Old 04-11-2010, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
how low to mount my projector? My 110" screen in 12" from the ceiling. PC says there should be a 8.6" between the 2 heights. Is that like a 3.4" mount?
post #1957 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 07:26 AM

I ordered this projector on the internet and called the sales company. The guy told me that the projector comes with only a 100 hour sample bulb and that I would have to pay $150 more for a 3000 hour bulb. Is this normal? I assumed the projector came with a 3000 hour bulb. Did I Get ripped off?
post #1958 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegas98 View Post

I ordered this projector on the internet and called the sales company. The guy told me that the projector comes with only a 100 hour sample bulb and that I would have to pay $150 more for a 3000 hour bulb. Is this normal? I assumed the projector came with a 3000 hour bulb. Did I Get ripped off?

I don't know how much you paid. But who exactly did you buy from? The MSRP is $999 and that DOES come with a standard bulb that claims 3000 hours.
post #1959 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

how low to mount my projector? My 110" screen in 12" from the ceiling. PC says there should be a 8.6" between the 2 heights. Is that like a 3.4" mount?

Sounds right to me. The real question is what mount will let you mount that close to the ceiling and have enough adjustment to get to 3.4" from the ceiling.
post #1960 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
as long as the math is right, i can lower the screen i guess. I noticed 4" mounts.

I was planing on having the projector in front of us so no one would muck up the picture if they had to leave.
post #1961 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Unfortunately, yes. There is no such thing as a trial bulb offer, so it would be fraud. This is a scam by some online stores on the east coast. Always good to check out: http://www.resellerratings.com/

I never buy anything that looks like a gift horse unless this site gives them a decent rating.

The HD20 is a $999 projector. Sometimes you can get it for less from known retailers with coupons, etc. In fact, I've seen it go for as low as $750, but this was from a namebrand store. The scams usually offer it for $650. They've got to sell it for at least $800 or they don't make any profit. However, if you paid $800 or less total, that still might be an okay deal. If you end up paying over $999, then you got the shaft for sure.

You can try stopping payment. The worst that can happen is they don't send it to you or you simply send it back. BUT, be careful. If you get it without stopping payment and think you can send it back, they will hit you with a 15% restocking charge.
post #1962 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 AM

I paid $820 and the guy told me that didn't come with the 3000 hour bulb and he said this is a special they are running for $150 for the bulb. So I still came out around MSRP. So did I pay $150 for nothing, or were they just selling it cheaper because it had no bulb?
post #1963 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 AM

oh also, the retailer is deltacamera.
post #1964 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM

After reading those ratings it does appear I was ripped off. Looks like that $150 charge was for nothing.
post #1965 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am ceiling mounting my HD20 and there is 1 large threaded hole and 3 small threaded holes on the bottom of the projector. The screws that came with my mount that go into the 3 small holes are tiny, which makes me uncomfortable about suspending it from the ceiling. I don't know how the single large threaded hole could be used, but in that case I would only have a single screw/bolt, and it doesn't seem to be in the center of gravity for the projector.

Any words of wisdom about this? I would like some peace of mind that my projector is not going to fall from the ceiling.

EDIT: BTW, I am using Monoprice part 3010 - maybe I should be using 3875. And for that matter - if anyone has discovered a nice mounting solution, feel free to share.
post #1966 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:

After reading those ratings it does appear I was ripped off. Looks like that $150 charge was for nothing.

Yes, DeltaCamera is a scam. They might take the bulb out of the box and sell it separately, but who knows. If they are not an authorized dealer, they can do whatever they want. My guess, though, is they simply are selling what came in the original box and make you think you are getting something special. Did you receive it yet? Did they send it out? If not, you might try cancelling your payment if credit card. My guess is they don't even have it in stock and now will try to find one cheap to send to you. It could even be a refurbished unit. They will explain that they put it in a different box so they could include the bulb.
post #1967 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post

I am ceiling mounting my HD20 and there is 1 large threaded hole and 3 small threaded holes on the bottom of the projector. The screws that came with my mount that go into the 3 small holes are tiny, which makes me uncomfortable about suspending it from the ceiling. I don't know how the single large threaded hole could be used, but in that case I would only have a single screw/bolt, and it doesn't seem to be in the center of gravity for the projector.

Any words of wisdom about this? I would like some peace of mind that my projector is not going to fall from the ceiling.

EDIT: BTW, I am using Monoprice part 3010 - maybe I should be using 3875. And for that matter - if anyone has discovered a nice mounting solution, feel free to share.

I've had mine ceiling-mounted in my media room for about 2 months now. It hasn't fallen yet! I used two of the "correct" screws, and the one off to the far side which normally is used for the lamp blub hatch. It may seem like a very poor setup, and honestly, to a perfectionist...it is. But, it's sturdy enough to be pulled back and forth and up and down to adjust. It hasn't loosened at all since.

Optoma REALLY wants people to buy their expensive mount instead of using a "one size fits all" type.
post #1968 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 AM

Are there any industry standards with projector mount configurations/types?
post #1969 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 12:10 PM

Is the HD20 supposed to be mounted using only those 3 tiny screw holes in a triangle shape?
post #1970 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Yes, DeltaCamera is a scam. They might take the bulb out of the box and sell it separately, but who knows. If they are not an authorized dealer, they can do whatever they want. My guess, though, is they simply are selling what came in the original box and make you think you are getting something special. Did you receive it yet? Did they send it out? If not, you might try cancelling your payment if credit card. My guess is they don't even have it in stock and now will try to find one cheap to send to you. It could even be a refurbished unit. They will explain that they put it in a different box so they could include the bulb.

First I called Delta and they said they are not sure if they can cancel the order and they will have to call me back. Then I called my credit card company asking for a stop payment, but they said that they would have to wait until the payment posted before I could dispute it. Then Delta called me back and said they can't cancel because they already shipped the projector. I am sure they lied, but I guess I am stuck with it unless they don't send it then I can dispute it. But since they are probably going to send it today I wont be able to dispute it with the credit card company.
post #1971 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 PM

Is it possible that the bulb they sold you is an EXTRA bulb?

If not, you might want to call Delta and point out that you have discovered that Optoma's product does in fact include a projector lamp and to charge extra for it is unlawful. If they want to avoid a legal dispute, they need to either cancel the order or - if they did indeed already ship the order - refund the charge for the bulb.

I have found on multiple occasions when someone is purposely trying to rip me off that bringing up legal matters is often effective. They know that they are wrong and would not win a legal case - they also want an easy target and will give in to someone that is being proactive. But be firm, polite, and professional about it.

If they have really researched their technique and know that they are doing everything legally and will not fulfill your request, it's okay - you didn't really get ripped off, you just paid retail for your projector. Just enjoy it. But it's worth a try to get the lamp charge taken off.
post #1972 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Is the HD20 supposed to be mounted using only those 3 tiny screw holes in a triangle shape?

Yes, you use the 3 M3 threaded holes. It's okay as long as you use the right screw (M3). Do NOT use ordinary screws from Home Depot, etc. that seem to fit. You can get M3 screws of different lengths from ACE hardware. The large center screw hole is for a right-sided tripod mount. There is a security bar on the back of the projector opposite the AC plug. You can use that to secure the projector with a small cable or chain to the ceiling to avoid falling should the mount or screws come loose (but they won't). The HD20 requires 4" clearance from the ceiling to avoid overheating, so you should not use a flush mount.
post #1973 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:

If they have really researched their technique and know that they are doing everything legally and will not fulfill your request, it's okay - you didn't really get ripped off, you just paid retail for your projector. Just enjoy it. But it's worth a try to get the lamp charge taken off.

I agree -- good advice.
post #1974 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Yes, you use the 3 M3 threaded holes. It's okay as long as you use the right screw (M3). Do NOT use ordinary screws from Home Depot, etc. that seem to fit. You can get M3 screws of different lengths from ACE hardware. The large center screw hole is for a right-sided tripod mount. There is a security bar on the back of the projector opposite the AC plug. You can use that to secure the projector with a small cable or chain to the ceiling to avoid falling should the mount or screws come loose (but they won't). The HD20 requires 4" clearance from the ceiling to avoid overheating, so you should not use a flush mount.

Thanks for the reassurance. Is that security bar intended to prevent a fall or is it anti-theft? If the projector does fall, there will be a bit of force after it falls 6-12 inches and then starts swinging, especially if the mount is still attached - so the security bar has to be strong enough to withstand the jolt.
post #1975 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Is that security bar intended to prevent a fall or is it anti-theft?

Anti-theft. (3) M3 screws can easily support several hundred lbs. A 6 lb PJ is not an issue.
post #1976 of 3999 Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 PM

post #1977 of 3999 Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orubasarot View Post

Does anyone know if the HD20 can accept a custom resolution? Let's say something weird like 1920x540. I would want to shift that to the bottom of the projected image, leaving the pixels in the top unused portion blank.

I'm going to try using Powerstrip on my LCDs to see if it'll work, but it would be nice if the HD20 could handle the task of shifting that signal to the bottom.

Technically the HD20 does have a Vertical Image Shift in the menu. I am not in front of my HD20 to see how much it will shift. But somehow I highly doubt it will shift 540 pixels, half of the 1080p vertical image.

Even if it did, you will have a dark grey 540 pixels above the image. It won't be totally black.

Not that it matters to me. But I am curious why you would want to cut half your vertical pixels. Which also means you are cutting the brightness of your total image in half as well. Though the HD20 is plenty bright for that.
post #1978 of 3999 Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 AM

post #1979 of 3999 Old 04-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

ok , ATTENTION ALL OPTOMA HD 20 owners

Apparently optoma doesnt believe that there is a problem with my projector,

I have sent it off , (paid $50 to do so ) they send it back saying they cant see what i see.

Here is what my projectros situation is

When i turn on the projector, it is not one shade of grey , you can look at the lower left hand corner of the screen , and it has a very faint greenish tint , then as you look and go across the screen tot he upper right hand corner, it has a reddish tint to it , ITS NOT SO BAD that I can't enjoy a movie, I dont even notice it unless I am watching star wars, or battlestar galactica or somethign that has space with stars in it , then space looks different in the corners casue of the tints .

I specificaly told the people at optoma that they could amplify the problem by holding a piece of typing paper in front of the projector and focusing it , doing so , shows how SOMETHING is definatly wrong. its green on the left side fo the image and then the further you go right , its red.

is this normal??? is any of you guys hd 20 this way.

Optoma has emailed me asking me to take picture ect and send them , but its low light and my camera will not pick up the problem, I feel like im getting bad customer service, because I know that they are not wanting to fix it by them saying they cant see it . My whole family , who know nothign about projectors can see it when I tell them the problem,

IT may not be bad now , but whos to say when my warranty goes out that it doesnt get worse .

I even asked for just a replacement projector and I cant get any help , and I asked if they would pay for the shipping back to them since they sent it back to me and didnt fix it to begin with , and I never got a response tot hat

Im almost ready to just keep it as it , simply cause I hate takling and talking and talking to people and getting nothign done about it .lol

Im a little aggravated

any of you guys had this problem with the uniformity of the projector ???

yo, im 21,, wanna chat HT pm me for my messenger name
post #1980 of 3999 Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtis_mcleskey View Post

ok , ATTENTION ALL OPTOMA HD 20 owners

Apparently optoma doesnt believe that there is a problem with my projector,

I have sent it off , (paid $50 to do so ) they send it back saying they cant see what i see.

Here is what my projectros situation is

When i turn on the projector, it is not one shade of grey , you can look at the lower left hand corner of the screen , and it has a very faint greenish tint , then as you look and go across the screen tot he upper right hand corner, it has a reddish tint to it , ITS NOT SO BAD that I can't enjoy a movie, I dont even notice it unless I am watching star wars, or battlestar galactica or somethign that has space with stars in it , then space looks different in the corners casue of the tints .

I specificaly told the people at optoma that they could amplify the problem by holding a piece of typing paper in front of the projector and focusing it , doing so , shows how SOMETHING is definatly wrong. its green on the left side fo the image and then the further you go right , its red.

is this normal??? is any of you guys hd 20 this way.

Optoma has emailed me asking me to take picture ect and send them , but its low light and my camera will not pick up the problem, I feel like im getting bad customer service, because I know that they are not wanting to fix it by them saying they cant see it . My whole family , who know nothign about projectors can see it when I tell them the problem,

IT may not be bad now , but whos to say when my warranty goes out that it doesnt get worse .

I even asked for just a replacement projector and I cant get any help , and I asked if they would pay for the shipping back to them since they sent it back to me and didnt fix it to begin with , and I never got a response tot hat

Im almost ready to just keep it as it , simply cause I hate takling and talking and talking to people and getting nothign done about it .lol

Im a little aggravated

any of you guys had this problem with the uniformity of the projector ???

I was extremely happy with my Optoma HD70 of 3 years. No issues. So I never dealt with their tech support until now. I will get my projector back today or tomorrow. I will then test to see if I have the same issue you do. But I have a different and also very obvious issue with mine that they actually did see when I sent it to them, but they told me it is normal and they won't fix it. I will post a video when I can make one and hopefully it shows in the video and people can watch it and let me know it they have the same issue.

I bought mine from Costco so it's it's not normal I will just have Costco replace it since Optoma was unwilling to swap out the unit for my issue.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page