*Official* Optoma HD20 Thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2311 of 4075 Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
only switch on HD20 AFTER HTPC is fully booted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 4075 Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyf4746 View Post

Recently I built a new HTPC using Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3. My optoma HD20 unable to display the screen. Screen flickering and unable to view. This problem only happen if I switch on Optoma HD20 before I boot up my HTPC. If I switch on HD20 after I fully boot up my HTPC, the display will have no problem at all.
Any one having similar problem?
Any one can help in?

Try re-syncing the sources by pressing the source buttons on the remote when the problem occurs.
post #2313 of 4075 Old 06-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Recently I built a new HTPC using Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3. My optoma HD20 unable to display the screen. Screen flickering and unable to view. This problem only happen if I switch on Optoma HD20 before I boot up my HTPC. If I switch on HD20 after I fully boot up my HTPC, the display will have no problem at all.
Any one can help in?

I didn't look up your motherboard. But you didn't mention what interface type/cable you are using. VGA? HDMI? DVI-D with HDMI adapter/cable? Onboard video, PCE-E video, etc. The suggestions given are great one. I have only used my HD20 with HDMI on my laptop and HDMI on my HTPC, both work with with the HD20 on first.

Also, are you going straight to the HD20 or through a receiver. I haven't hooked up my PS3 to the HD20 yet. But with my HD70 via HDMI, I would have to turn on the HD20 first before the PS3, otherwise I wouldn't have sound via HDMI from the PS3.
post #2314 of 4075 Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I went to BestBuy and exchanged the HD20. As you guys probably read on the previous pages of this thread recently, I had problem with the lens assembly as shown in couple of pictures I posted earlier on.

Anyways the new HD20 doesn't have that problem. The new one is perfect. I mounted it and without any setting or moving the mount the picture came right in the middle of the screen.

So now I'm happy, no keystone, image-shift or over-scan or anything.

now all I have to do is play around with the colors.

I'll post some pictures of my room. Its mot as good as other members' like xenon2000 lol but I'm happy with it. When I build my new house. I'll make a custom room for the theater now that I'm hooked on projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechbeav View Post

The Chief mount can be had for less. I shopped around and got mine for ~$110. It costs more but I think it's worth it. It is really sturdy and low-profile, and comes with the correct M3 screws for the HD20. It's not worth it for the cheap screws alone, just a nice bonus on top of a really nice mount.

Agreed, I love this mount. Initially I wanted to spend around $20 on the mount but I searched the forum and someone had mentioned RPAUW mount, So I looked it up and instantly knew I had to get it. Its low-profile feature was a big selling point for me.

And I knew I was paying too much for it when I was buying it, but I guess that's the price you pay when you want something right at that moment.

Quote:

Any one can help in?

I had a problem with my first projector as well. I had connected it to my ATI card using HDMI and the projector kept flickering and changing the resolution automatically. Sometimes it would display the image in 800x600 (or something) @60hz then next second it would cycle through all its inputs and land back on HDMI then it would read it in 1080p and it kept looping like this until I disconnected the HDMI from the PC and reconnected it and restarted the projector.

I updated the drivers of my card. Or actually I reinstalled them since they were already up to date. But that solved the problem for me.
post #2315 of 4075 Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:

The Chief mount can be had for less. I shopped around and got mine for ~$110. It costs more but I think it's worth it. It is really sturdy and low-profile, and comes with the correct M3 screws for the HD20. It's not worth it for the cheap screws alone, just a nice bonus on top of a really nice mount.

Can I ask where you bought it? Thanks a lot!
post #2316 of 4075 Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatrix View Post

Can I ask where you bought it? Thanks a lot!

I just looked and actually it was $120 (USD) from buy.com. If you do a google shopping search you will see that both Amazon and B&H have it for near that price with free shipping.
post #2317 of 4075 Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

I am trying to do the best I can with a room that was never perfect for an HT to start with. And in a house that has so much else to do. So the project is going ultra slow. But now that I am actually starting to get some color in the room, I wanted to share. The arch is almost ready to texture and paint. And I can't wait to figure out my lighting, because the torch lights are just to have some light in the room as there is no other light right now at night.

Hard to correct the coloring with 2 bright fluorescent torch lamps. But these are pretty close.

I can't wait to have a much better room to start with. My first room was odd, but I made it work pretty well. Very happy with my first HT in a strange setup, and my 2nd HT is an even more odd configuration. But I am hoping to make it work well.

First HT had a low 7.5' ceiling to work with and the HD70 with a huge offset. Made it work with no keystoning. This room has a high ceiling, but it's angled. One day I will have an HT with a high level ceiling. lol.

Here are 3 messy new pics.
AV center and Media nook. Lowes Olympic paint, Knights Armor. Hard to see the color. Its a dark grey/blue. Bag is protecting all the wires, HDMI, etc. Light paint area will be a 3rd color.

----

AV center and Media nook is Lowes Olympic paint, Knights Armor. Hard to see the color. Its a dark grey/blue. Bag is protecting all the wires. Light paint area will be a 3rd color. Screen wall is Lowes Olympic paint, Sapphire. Which is pretty blue.

----

Sapphire and Knights Armor. Light and tan wall will be a 3rd color, Lava Grey. Which actually has some blue in it as well. Ceiling will be left alone for now. Arch is almost ready for texture and paint. Center of archway is 8'
post #2318 of 4075 Old 06-30-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:

I just looked and actually it was $120 (USD) from buy.com. If you do a google shopping search you will see that both Amazon and B&H have it for near that price with free shipping.

Thanks!!
post #2319 of 4075 Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

very modern looking for far, i really like it a lot. i hope it stays that way.
post #2320 of 4075 Old 07-01-2010, 06:38 AM

I am using HDMI. I tried both direct to HD20 and go through Marantz SR 5003 AV Receiver. All having the same problems.
Any ideas?
post #2321 of 4075 Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am using HDMI. I tried both direct to HD20 and go through Marantz SR 5003 AV Receiver. All having the same problems.
Any ideas?

Hmmm, my HTPC is on 24/7 because it's also the media server for the whole house. I know at one time when I had an issue with the HD70, I just updated my Nvidia drivers. Are you using Nvidia or ATI?

Also, if you HTPC on 24/7, do you have the display and power settings set to never sleep or suspend? What is the OS?

Without re-reading your other post, does it ever work? If so, what process do you go through to make it work? Do you have sound from your HTPC via HDMI or other output?
post #2322 of 4075 Old 07-01-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

As a reference. Optoma came out with the first sub $1k 720p projector about 4 years ago. And this was their first sub $1k 1080p projector. Optoma has and continues to have many 720p and 1080p models. Since this is their first 1080p for under $1k, and given that the HD70 sold strong for 3+ years. It is likely that Optoma will not have another comparable 1080p for under $1k for quite some time.

If you are interested in the HD20, buying it now will likely be the same as buying it at the end of 2010. And hard to tell what other brand options there might be at the end of the year. The sub $1k mark for 1080p is brand new. So if you are looking under $1k for 1080p, it's unlikely that the options will change within the next 6 months. And if there are additions, there is no guarantee they will be any better than the options now. Just more.

So if you want 1080p within the next 3 months and you like the HD20, I would just go for it.

Thanks this just seals it I will be getting the hd20 here in a month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammc View Post

What's you budget for the mount? People have been using the monoprice ceiling mount for HD20 which is pretty cheap.

I picked up Chief RAPUW Mount for $199 CAD. Yes its expensive but I just love this mount. I think maybe if you look around on the net you can find it for a bit less. But I paid $199 because I picked it up locally I couldn't wait to have it shipped.

I'm looking to get a ceiling mount for my project. I have drop ceilings in my room but my budget for the mount is to be around $100 if I can and a mount that isn't too difficult to put together. thanks
post #2323 of 4075 Old 07-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Had to send my HD20 in for repair last week and am awaiting it's return; hopefully this week.

I wanted to post here in case someone else developed similar issues.

It developed a heat problem when using it in normal lamp mode; low lamp and fan speed. The color wheel speed seemed to hunt excessively when changing inputs or changing channels on sat receiver.

I also had a odd change in color with posterization evident in bright areas of picture.

I remembered the High Altitude Fan setting in the menu which I then turned it on and video problems pretty much cleared. When turned off video problem returned.

Rew

Rew
BenQ W1070 |Lumagen RadianceXS-3D |Panasonic BDT310
Denon AVR-x5200w | Nvidia Shield Android TV | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS4 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 | TRL/TRR =Bose 161 |Sub =Reaction Audio S-15 500W SEALED SUBWOOFER
post #2324 of 4075 Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 AM

go back to page 72 and read my threads - does it look like this????

http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_0008.flv
post #2325 of 4075 Old 07-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matengawhat View Post

go back to page 72 and read my threads - does it look like this????

http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_0008.flv

It does look like posterization to me in this clip but as I said, to find out if it is a heat problem turn on the HIGH Altitude option in the HD20 menu, which puts the fan on high and see if it reduces the negative aspects in the video.

Rew

Rew
Denon AVR-x5200w | Nvidia Shield Android TV | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS4 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 | TRL/TRR =Bose 161 |Sub =Reaction Audio S-15 500W SEALED SUBWOOFER
post #2326 of 4075 Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 AM

it wasn't heat in my case but a broken part, can't rem which bit think might have listed it in one of my threads - when turning the high altitude on or turning the lamp in to bright mode it went away for a little while but then a few days later that didn't stop it and fault was across all modes and settings - think it the start of something failing and gradually get worse - got mine fixed and back to me in 5 days - if you look on you tube there are more examples - guess its a common problem
post #2327 of 4075 Old 07-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matengawhat View Post

it wasn't heat in my case but a broken part, can't rem which bit think might have listed it in one of my threads - when turning the high altitude on or turning the lamp in to bright mode it went away for a little while but then a few days later that didn't stop it and fault was across all modes and settings - think it the start of something failing and gradually get worse - got mine fixed and back to me in 5 days - if you look on you tube there are more examples - guess its a common problem

I think it all revolves around the color wheel and it's control sync circuitry. Something goes wrong and it degrades the picture as we have seen.

Rew

Rew
post #2328 of 4075 Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HD20 freezes when switching inputs sometimes. It'll either show back with a couple of lines or a partial screen. i have to shut down the projector and start it up again.

anyone else have this problem? Hoping it might be the multiswitch. need to order another to test it out.
post #2329 of 4075 Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ive had my projector for a week now and have 2 questions after using it for a while.... Overall really love the projector as an upgrade to my hd70.

1. Does anybody use a harmony remote with the hd20? I used the standard profile with it and it works perfectly with the projector except when its time to power off the device I can't get it to run the commands properly to power it off. I tried using the multiple command thing since it needs the power off button and then a select to actuall shut it off but the remote will not run that properly. Just wondering if there was something I was missing (if the delay needs to be adjusted or something)

2. Overall I love the picture this produces but has anybody else noticed that some shades of the colors seem "off". Specifically the light green looks too lime green and light red is too bright. The dark reds and greens are perfect as well as the blues. Of course it could just be me being used to how the hd70 projected color and it was wrong before. Or is there a setting that can adjust for this? It's odd too because when showing a movie/video all colors generally look correct but when viewing a photo or the menu/dashboard I notice the color doesn't look right with the light green&red.
post #2330 of 4075 Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 AM

I have the 700 and set it up that it's a 2 part command to shut the projector off. First is power off and second was select. You do this under device set up.
post #2331 of 4075 Old 07-06-2010, 03:18 PM

I have a Harony One and shut it off with 2 button presses just incase power off gets hit by mistake. Must be why they make it a 2 button process on the unit itself. I like the confirmation warning it gives.

Watching a movie on a tv is like watching a movie on a tv, watching a movie on a projector is like being at the movies!
post #2332 of 4075 Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the harmony one as well..... did you get it to work? From what I can see its a timing issue (and I guess I will have to adjust them) because it does the button presses so fast (I cant even see each one running) that its not waiting long enough for the second one to register. If you did get it working and don't mind would you look at the timings on the hd20 profile of your remote and post them here. The problem with adjusting this is I can only test one profile at a time (because I don't want to be turning the bulb off and on a bunch of times while I tweak this) so I am testing one setting per day which as you can imagine is slow going.
post #2333 of 4075 Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM

The remotes are all basically the same. This has to be set under your optoma hd20 profile in devices. This isn't done under " watch a move" or whatever command.

When setting it up it gives you a second drop down menu where you can chose the "select" option.

So when setting up your optoma and it asks you how it turns off, fist drop down is power off, second is select.

Logitech is very helpful if you can't figure it out. They'll guide you over the phone
post #2334 of 4075 Old 07-07-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

The remotes are all basically the same. This has to be set under your optoma hd20 profile in devices. This isn't done under " watch a move" or whatever command.

When setting it up it gives you a second drop down menu where you can chose the "select" option.

So when setting up your optoma and it asks you how it turns off, fist drop down is power off, second is select.

Logitech is very helpful if you can't figure it out. They'll guide you over the phone

I already did all of that..... it did not work hence me coming here. I even tried making it do the off + select + select and that still did not work. I think its processing the button presses too fast so its never waiting long enough to send the select button after power off. I was thinking it might be a timing issue because I have already customized the power off sequence but since I can only change one thing a day I was hoping somebody here had this problem and could tell me what they did to fix it (or what the timings are that work properly)
post #2335 of 4075 Old 07-07-2010, 02:02 PM

[quote=xenon2000;18849081]I am trying to do the best I can with a room that was never perfect for an HT to start with. And in a house that has so much else to do. So the project is going ultra slow. But now that I am actually starting to get some color in the room, I wanted to share. The arch is almost ready to texture and paint. And I can't wait to figure out my lighting, because the torch lights are just to have some light in the room as there is no other light right now at night.

Hard to correct the coloring with 2 bright fluorescent torch lamps. But these are pretty close.

I can't wait to have a much better room to start with. My first room was odd, but I made it work pretty well. Very happy with my first HT in a strange setup, and my 2nd HT is an even more odd configuration. But I am hoping to make it work well.

First HT had a low 7.5' ceiling to work with and the HD70 with a huge offset. Made it work with no keystoning. This room has a high ceiling, but it's angled. One day I will have an HT with a high level ceiling. lol.

Here are 3 messy new pics.
AV center and Media nook. Lowes Olympic paint, Knights Armor. Hard to see the color. Its a dark grey/blue. Bag is protecting all the wires, HDMI, etc. Light paint area will be a 3rd color.

----

AV center and Media nook is Lowes Olympic paint, Knights Armor. Hard to see the color. Its a dark grey/blue. Bag is protecting all the wires. Light paint area will be a 3rd color. Screen wall is Lowes Olympic paint, Sapphire. Which is pretty blue.

----

Sapphire and Knights Armor. Light and tan wall will be a 3rd color, Lava Grey. Which actually has some blue in it as well. Ceiling will be left alone for now. Arch is almost ready for texture and paint. Center of archway is 8'

wow! now thats a nice setup.... love the arched entry..... how soon before its done?
cfsb
post #2336 of 4075 Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

Ive had my projector for a week now and have 2 questions after using it for a while.... Overall really love the projector as an upgrade to my hd70.

1. Does anybody use a harmony remote with the hd20? I used the standard profile with it and it works perfectly with the projector except when its time to power off the device I can't get it to run the commands properly to power it off. I tried using the multiple command thing since it needs the power off button and then a select to actuall shut it off but the remote will not run that properly. Just wondering if there was something I was missing (if the delay needs to be adjusted or something)

2. Overall I love the picture this produces but has anybody else noticed that some shades of the colors seem "off". Specifically the light green looks too lime green and light red is too bright. The dark reds and greens are perfect as well as the blues. Of course it could just be me being used to how the hd70 projected color and it was wrong before. Or is there a setting that can adjust for this? It's odd too because when showing a movie/video all colors generally look correct but when viewing a photo or the menu/dashboard I notice the color doesn't look right with the light green&red.

Ya know, i think the hd20 remote has issues over all. I have noticed that the remote will power on the unit but when you attempt to power off the unit, it often does not work. what i usually have to do is push a different button on the remote (like the mode or menu button) once the remote lights up then i can turn off the PJ. perhaps the issue goes deeper than the remote???? Hmmmmm I too have a harmony remote but have not tried to use it with the pj yet...
cfsb
post #2337 of 4075 Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM

You don't need to keep turning the bulb on and off. Set it up and if it doesn't work - well then the bulb obviously didn't turn off. Then hook up your remote and reprogram and try again - and again.

Make sure your software is up to date too.
post #2338 of 4075 Old 07-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefssaltyballs View Post

wow! now thats a nice setup.... love the arched entry..... how soon before its done?
cfsb

Thanks. Adding the arch was fairly cheap. And is way better than the full opening that was there before. And with 8ft at the center, it's still nice and open. The arch has been 99% done for a long time. But I am planning on having it textured, primed, and painted by Friday night.

Still not my favorite house or layout to work with. But I will just get through this one and hopefully our next house will be the long term keeper. And I hope to be making offset stud walls in the 3rd Home Theater room.

Anyway, getting much much closer to start really using the HT room. I am not looking forward to doing the lighting this time around.
post #2339 of 4075 Old 07-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

Thanks for posting this! I was running into this issue as well, and all is great now!

More Setup Pix / Pix of Setup
Hardware - Sony XL3: Win7sp1 x64 / Q6700 CPU / 120GB SSD (OS) / 2x2TB TV / 8GB Ram / Radeon HD 7700LP / Ceton ETH6 Tuner

Extenders: 3x Xbox360's, 2x Roku 3's

Software: MediaBrowser / MyChannelLogosXL / RecordedTV HD / Plex

post #2340 of 4075 Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What is the closest the top of the screen can be to the top of the ceiling if the projector is mounted to the ceiling?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com