post #2461 of 3999 Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorddeff07 View Post

Thanks as always man. damn, I am beginning to feel like i owe you money lol... you have been so helpful.

Anyways you're right, I figured it out after doing some research online.

EDIT:

Sorry, forgot to ask, you say you are using a laptop to your hd20 right? well I am guessing it will function similarly to my setup. Are you using a dedicated front end too for your content? If so how do you manage it between displays? Anyways to get such a front end to open on the projector and not ur primary screen? I don't know if you get what I am trying to say.

My laptop is not my main HTPC. With my laptop, the laptop display does not do 1080p on it's display and it does not allow the HDMI and the laptop display at the same time. So right now when using the laptop HTPC, the HD20 is the only display. I just use Window 7 Media Center as a front end with USB based IR MCE remote. Or the mouse and WMP 12. My regular HTPC which is in another room for now, is also Win7 with and HDMI output video card. Also only using a projector as it's only display. But that is not on the projector right now due to it's size and my cabinets are not made yet.

In either case, when I use the full size PC or the laptop PC as an HTPC, they are dedicated HTPC's with 1 display, the projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 3999 Old 08-17-2010, 05:55 PM

Liked: 10
In an electronic show recently held in Taipei, Optoma showed off a beefed up version of the HD20 called the HD20LV.

Specs look the same but apparently Optoma upgraded the internal optics and this raised the ANSI lumens raiting to 2200 and also features a dynamic iris. It retails in China this week for 60,000 yen, or about $700. Could be what we might see at Cedia soon.
post #2463 of 3999 Old 08-22-2010, 11:46 AM

First time user so if there is an HD20 problems forum let me know. Have had my HD20 for about a year and have approximately 1100 hours on it. Have noticed image/color issues during the last few weeks. Starts up fine with great color and image but after about 5-10 minutes the image starts to get washed out and colors go pink/blue/green (I can send pics). Have both component and HDMI hooked up to it, HDMI on a direct feed from our cable box and component from our Xbox 360 via a receiver. Have never had issues until now and I have cleaned inputs, checked connections and tried different cables. Any advice or thoughts? Is it a color wheel issue? Are the inputs going bad? Worried I will not be able to fix and it's beyond warranty; am I out of luck? Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
post #2464 of 3999 Old 08-22-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So, I have a Elitescreens 1.0 Grey screen and was thinking of upgrading to a matte white.

My room is mostly dark with a somewhat ambient light from a window...

Thoughts?

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #2465 of 3999 Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Hello everyone.

I have an Optoma HD20 I have been using for 10 months now, with 1300 hours on the original lamp and with its HDMI 1 input provided by a PC ATI graphics card at 1920x1080 60Hz.

The projector is on a non-smoking house and in a temperature controlled room which rules out excess dust and overheating. None of the Temp-LED or Lamp-LED has ever been on. Also the lamp related settings are Bright Mode Off and High Altitude Off.

The projector is experiencing the color flickering problems which can be shown very clearly in the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz3z129CDzk

The steps are (usually the procedure starts after the first 5 minutes of projector use):

1) The projector starts to rapidly change the tint/hue into red/green/blue.
(the original picture projected is still there, it just has a new tint/hue and not correct colors).
2) After 10-20 seconds, it settles in one of the tints and it continues to show the picture with the red/green/blue-ish tint/hue.
3) After 1-2 minutes, it repeats step 1 and 2.
4) Either the color is corrected for the rest of the use or the steps 1-3 reoccur after some time.

One observation is that while in step 1, if the power button is pressed once so that the menu screen "Power off the lamp?" appears, the problem is corrected for 1-3 seconds and then the tint/hue cycling starts again.

Also, if the input signal is disconnected by disabling the hdmi output from the pc so that the projector shows "HDMI 1 NO SIGNAL" the tint/hue is fixed on a redish tone after a few seconds and stays that way even if the input signal is reconnected.

Last possible short remedy is putting the projector's setting "High Altitude" to On which seems to prolong the time between the reccurences of the problem.

After searching around for a service manual or similar problems with the color wheel, I have found the following instructions:

http://tantht.blogspot.com/2009/02/h...om-optoma.html

which do not apply directly to the problem at hand.

I would like to ask of anyone with similar symptoms to kindly share his experience in regard to this problem (maybe possible solution by cleaning the color wheel?) or with dealing with the Optoma Support in Europe.

Thank you in advance for your time.
post #2466 of 3999 Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNegative View Post

In an electronic show recently held in Taipei, Optoma showed off a beefed up version of the HD20 called the HD20LV.

Specs look the same but apparently Optoma upgraded the internal optics and this raised the ANSI lumens raiting to 2200 and also features a dynamic iris. It retails in China this week for 60,000 yen, or about $700. Could be what we might see at Cedia soon.

Thanks for the info. I hope we get it in the US for that price. This could be my next projector. My 3 year old HD70 is still going strong with the original lamp.
post #2467 of 3999 Old 08-24-2010, 07:50 AM

I have had this issue with my HD70 and have the perfect solution.

Its an overheating problem..

Get out your tool set and open that baby up.. just remove the easy screws.. don't take anything apart you are not prepared to put back together..

Get yourself access to some compressed air.. now I'm not talking bout no can-o-air stuff.. I mean the high compression stuff.. like, you know, an air compressor..

Blow that air into the projector housing, fan, vents, everywhere.. you will be surprised at the amount of dust that comes out..

Put it all back together and voilÃ* no more flicker..

On my HD70 I also use High Altitude Mode which keeps that fan running..

Hope this helps!!
post #2468 of 3999 Old 08-24-2010, 11:25 AM

If you do as monkeyfeathers suggests do not let the compressed air spin the fans. This will significantly shorten the fans life if you do so.
post #2469 of 3999 Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasuno View Post

If you do as monkeyfeathers suggests do not let the compressed air spin the fans. This will significantly shorten the fans life if you do so.

Never heard of such a thing!

Rew
post #2470 of 3999 Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 PM

Many thanks monkeyfeathers for contributing to the discussion and the confirmation that on some instances this is a just an overheating problem from dust buildup and not a more serious one, like a damaged color wheel.

Today, with the projector off for more than 8 hours, I disconnected it and tried cleaning with a compressed air can blowing through the front and side vents, taking care not to blow directly to the lamp (which is under pressure) and the internal fan so that it doesn't spin too much.

I let the projector off for 1 hour to dry out any possible droplets of the air can propellant.

The color flickering problem seems to have diminished as after 5 hours of using the projector it has only happened once in the beginning.

I assume that this only a temporary fix.

When the problem gets worse, I will proceed with careful disassembling and thorough internal cleaning.

Thank you again monkeyfeathers for sharing your experience.
post #2471 of 3999 Old 08-25-2010, 04:25 AM

I am having this strange problem with my PJ.No matter how hard I try and get the image sorted out on the screen one side of the image is always wider and longer than the other.Its like everything seems fine but then the lower left bottom part of the screen is wider than the top left and lower than the bottom right giving it an outward slant look. The right side of the screen is a perfect line every time.

My only conclusion is that my lens may be slightly offset... what do I do about it?
post #2472 of 3999 Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorddeff07 View Post

I am having this strange problem with my PJ.No matter how hard I try and get the image sorted out on the screen one side of the image is always wider and longer than the other.Its like everything seems fine but then the lower left bottom part of the screen is wider than the top left and lower than the bottom right giving it an outward slant look. The right side of the screen is a perfect line every time.

My only conclusion is that my lens may be slightly offset... what do I do about it?

Maybe your screen isn't flat - what type is it?
Or the PJ is pointing very slightly down and to the left.
post #2473 of 3999 Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Projector Screen Advice - Gray or White???

I just bought this projector from Best Buy and need some advice for a projector screen. It will be used in the lower level of my house (split level). The room has ambient lighting with 4 windows. I will be installing some better window blinds to control lighting, but I'll still receive light from the stairway. The walls are light colored right now, but will be painted a dark color. It has wood flooring (which may not matter).

I was thinking of either a 84" or 92" screen. I don't have space for a larger screen. Should I use a screen with White or Gray Material?

I have heard that Gray screens are better for rooms with ambient lighting. I have also heard that the picture will be bright at that distance and I should consider a Gray screen to assist with contrast.

Any advice will help!
post #2474 of 3999 Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer94 View Post

Projector Screen Advice - Gray or White???

I just bought this projector from Best Buy and need some advice for a projector screen. It will be used in the lower level of my house (split level). The room has ambient lighting with 4 windows. I will be installing some better window blinds to control lighting, but I'll still receive light from the stairway. The walls are light colored right now, but will be painted a dark color. It has wood flooring (which may not matter).

I was thinking of either a 84" or 92" screen. I don't have space for a larger screen. Should I use a screen with White or Gray Material?

I have heard that Gray screens are better for rooms with ambient lighting. I have also heard that the picture will be bright at that distance and I should consider a Gray screen to assist with contrast.

Any advice will help!

I will give my generic advice and comments. I haven't used a huge number of projectors, but the few I have used, I have preferred 1.0 matte white over 0.8 grey screens.

But I haven't tired grey with the HD20 and the HD20 is very bright. And brighter as the image gets smaller. So at 84 to 92", I think it might be worth trying grey. Contrast technically won't change with grey vs white, though perceived contrast might. The main advantage with grey is better blacks in any lighting.

I still think I would prefer lights out and a white screen. And even with a grey screen, I don't like the image when there is enough ambient light to read. If it's too dark to read, but still some light... then grey might look better than white.

With the HD20 brightness and you smaller image size and some light, you may prefer the look from a grey screen.

Though if you buy grey and can't return it and want to buy white, that can be a costly experience. You might want to find the cheapest medium grey sheet and a white wall or white sheet and compare with an 84-92" image. It won't be an exact representation or the best color rendering, but it will give you a little idea on what you might expect from either screen in your environment.
post #2475 of 3999 Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Good evening

Just installed my HD20 flush ceiling using a Peerless PRGUNV , i am trying to get it properly align with my 100 inch screen but just can't achieve anything . I have to set zoom to max to get the image to fill the screen and even it spill on the interior of the screen border , If i zoom out a bit then the top and bottom does not fill anymore

My throw distance is at 11 feet from the screen

Any ideas?

Alain

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2476 of 3999 Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon View Post

Good evening

Just installed my HD20 flush ceiling using a Peerless PRGUNV , i am trying to get it properly align with my 100 inch screen but just can't achieve anything . I have to set zoom to max to get the image to fill the screen and even it spill on the interior of the screen border , If i zoom out a bit then the top and bottom does not fill anymore

My throw distance is at 11 feet from the screen

Any ideas?

Alain

First, you will want a tiny amount of spill into the black borders of your screen. Second, technically the projector has to be perfectly centered with the middle of the screen and the offset centered as well. When I used the projector central calculator to mount my projectors, I would put the zoom at the middle position, and then use those numbers.

If you can post a photo of your image on the screen, we might be able to give you exact details on how to adjust your mounting or screen.
post #2477 of 3999 Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

First, you will want a tiny amount of spill into the black borders of your screen. Second, technically the projector has to be perfectly centered with the middle of the screen and the offset centered as well. When I used the projector central calculator to mount my projectors, I would put the zoom at the middle position, and then use those numbers.

If you can post a photo of your image on the screen, we might be able to give you exact details on how to adjust your mounting or screen.

Here is some pictures
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2478 of 3999 Old 08-31-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Here is some pictures

Here are some more
LL
LL
LL

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2479 of 3999 Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

The projector grid is the most useful photo. So would be nice to see that used for all the photos. Otherwise the other photos look pretty darn close and good. Also, for the sake of shape, shrinking the grid to just before the border can also give a good visual on the geometry of the projection. I do see the overspill into the border that you have created and I think it's a decent amount and the overall picture framing looks good. Based on that I have seen so far, I don't have any specific adjustments to recommend.

Can you try to post a grid photo that is without spill into the borders and maybe I can then see the overall geometry.
post #2480 of 3999 Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:

The projector grid is the most useful photo. So would be nice to see that used for all the photos. Otherwise the other photos look pretty darn close and good. Also, for the sake of shape, shrinking the grid to just before the border can also give a good visual on the geometry of the projection. I do see the overspill into the border that you have created and I think it's a decent amount and the overall picture framing looks good. Based on that I have seen so far, I don't have any specific adjustments to recommend.

Can you try to post a grid photo that is without spill into the borders and maybe I can then see the overall geometry.

Good afternoon Xenon, first than you for your help,

here are some pictures as requested, you cannot see very much at the top but it is spillinng over the border
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2481 of 3999 Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good afternoon Xenon, first than you for your help,

here are some pictures as requested, you cannot see very much at the top but it is spilling over the border

Sorry if I am not very clear. You want the grid to be close to the black border and then focus the grid. I still think your projector is 99% well aligned based on what I am seeing. And with the image zoomed into the black border, I think the movies look great. Is there something about the image that bothers you?
post #2482 of 3999 Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Sorry if I am not very clear. You want the grid to be close to the black border and then focus the grid. I still think your projector is 99% well aligned based on what I am seeing. And with the image zoomed into the black border, I think the movies look great. Is there something about the image that bothers you?

If i set the grid close to the black border without having it spill in to the border the grid show a gap at the bottom left and on top

I will take another picture when i get home other than that if i zoom the image the movie fill the screen and spill on the inside border but you mention that it is normal so i guess iwas worrying for nothing but still i will take another picture with the grid close to the border

Thanks again for your help

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2483 of 3999 Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Ok i set the grid close to the black border adjusted the focus and here are the pictures hope you will be able to see it was evident when i look at it but on the picture does not show as well

Except for the spilling about 1 inch on the inside depth of the screen and trying to figure out if my geometry is good everything else is ok
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2484 of 3999 Old 09-03-2010, 03:57 PM

here are some more
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2485 of 3999 Old 09-03-2010, 04:04 PM

and these show a better picture
LL
LL
LL
LL

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2486 of 3999 Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok i set the grid close to the black border adjusted the focus and here are the pictures hope you will be able to see it was evident when i look at it but on the picture does not show as well

Except for the spilling about 1 inch on the inside depth of the screen and trying to figure out if my geometry is good everything else is ok

From the new pics, the ones that show the whole screen. It looks like you need to rotate the projector a little clockwise. In other words, tilt the left side up and the right side down. Also looks like you need to shift the whole projector to the left a tiny amount between .25 to 1.0" And then possible raise the screen an inch. Or lower the projector an inch. All of that may help you get closer to a square image. Once you get it as close to square as you can, then you should zoom the image a little into the border to mask any left over distortions.

Good luck.
post #2487 of 3999 Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:

From the new pics, the ones that show the whole screen. It looks like you need to rotate the projector a little clockwise. In other words, tilt the left side up and the right side down. Also looks like you need to shift the whole projector to the left a tiny amount between .25 to 1.0" And then possible raise the screen an inch. Or lower the projector an inch. All of that may help you get closer to a square image. Once you get it as close to square as you can, then you should zoom the image a little into the border to mask any left over distortions.

Good luck.

Thank you very kindly for your help it is really appreciated i will try your suggestions tomorrow and see what i can come up with

i am using the peerless prgunv mount so the tilting is very easy with the adjustment screw

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2488 of 3999 Old 09-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Is there a way to adjust the Hz on the HD20? I see the resolution and Hz on the source tag (bottom right screen) when I switch between sources, but I don't know if that is automatically generated based on the source. I don't see anything in the menu.

Thanks for any advice or explanation.
post #2489 of 3999 Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenM3 View Post

Is there a way to adjust the Hz on the HD20? I see the resolution and Hz on the source tag (bottom right screen) when I switch between sources, but I don't know if that is automatically generated based on the source. I don't see anything in the menu.

Thanks for any advice or explanation.

It is always based on the source signal. You can change the refresh Hz from the source itself in some cases, but not on the HD20.
post #2490 of 3999 Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 AM

When my samsung 1600 is loading a blue ray disc I sometimes get a blank screen. The HD20 thinks it has lost the source, but after a second or two the source kicks back in. It all eventually works just fine, but it is annoying. I am running a long HDMI cable, so this could be the issue.

However, I thought that one of the settings (on the HD20 or samsung 1600) might help to prevent these unwanted "no source" interruptions. Any ideas?

thanks for any advice
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page