Forum Jump: 

post #2491 of 3996 Old 09-04-2010, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenM3 View Post

When my samsung 1600 is loading a blue ray disc I sometimes get a blank screen. The HD20 thinks it has lost the source, but after a second or two the source kicks back in. It all eventually works just fine, but it is annoying. I am running a long HDMI cable, so this could be the issue.

However, I thought that one of the settings (on the HD20 or samsung 1600) might help to prevent these unwanted "no source" interruptions. Any ideas?

thanks for any advice

I have a Sony Blu-ray player and I notice this whenever the player switches from 60Hz to 24Hz for playback. Screen goes black for a couple of second while the projector re-syncs the source feed and locks onto it.

I think this is what you are seeing. The players' UI menus are typically broadcasted at 60Hz by default and switch to 24Hz for the movie.

Now with most players, including my own, you can go to the player's video settings and change the video playback to 60Hz to do away with the re-sync, but at the cost of 3:2 pull-down and possibly losing that "24fps cinema-look".

Edit: Also, on the HD20's menu you could disable sources that you are never using (Ex. Composite, VGA, ect.) to make the re-synch a little faster. That way the HD20 won't bother searching for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 3996 Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mine did that when I had an hdmi switch. Now that everything goes through my pioneer receiver it's stopped.
post #2493 of 3996 Old 09-04-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Just fired mine up today had it about a week and a half, took a bit to mount etc, Well looks like there is an issue It came up itially fine but after I pressed to go to a test screen, the bulb seemed to go out. I shut it off, waited fired it up, no it just runs the fan a bit and goes to amber and flashing red, the book indicates that a failed fan. I unplugged to reset, it came up green, but no lamp and it still is amber and flashing red, so can I assume this one is crap. I never had any problems with my HD30 so this is dissapointing to say the least.
post #2494 of 3996 Old 09-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

From the new pics, the ones that show the whole screen. It looks like you need to rotate the projector a little clockwise. In other words, tilt the left side up and the right side down. Also looks like you need to shift the whole projector to the left a tiny amount between .25 to 1.0" And then possible raise the screen an inch. Or lower the projector an inch. All of that may help you get closer to a square image. Once you get it as close to square as you can, then you should zoom the image a little into the border to mask any left over distortions.

Good luck.

Just want to say thanks for your help explanation and patience. I followed your guidelines and even took the projector down reisntalled the mount properly on the projector and it is now way better got some spill at the top and a bit of distorsion on the left lower end that i can live with

Again thank you very much

Alain

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #2495 of 3996 Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactiveme View Post

Mine did that when I had an hdmi switch. Now that everything goes through my pioneer receiver it's stopped.

As already mentioned by Dr Negative, the image will have interruptions anytime the source changes resolution or Hz. Now if someone has video or audio or both during the middle of the movie when the resolution or Hz hasn't changed, then there is something else wrong, usually due to low signal strength. Either from HDMI switches, cable length, etc.

If it's happening from resolution changes or Hz changes; there is nothing you can do, that is HDMI for you right now.
post #2496 of 3996 Old 09-05-2010, 10:57 AM

First time projector owner and went with a HD200X. I just had a question about dlp/projectors in general.

When I get close to the screen (about 12 inches) I can see the individual pixels (not the problem) but they appear to be rapidly changing color/flickering, even in areas where there is no change in color or movement (e.g a title) in the picture.

Is this normal for any dlp projector or is this a connection issue (i.e. a bad hdmi cable). The projector is connected to the output of my Pioneer receiver and the source is a ps3, if that helps.

Thanks
post #2497 of 3996 Old 09-05-2010, 11:46 AM

I have a HD20 and am also a first time owner. I thought this was normal (I have the flickering pixels as well) since you don't see it sitting in the recommended seating area.
Not an answer to your question but just thought you would like to know your not the only one.
post #2498 of 3996 Old 09-05-2010, 01:52 PM

I fount this website, www.professionalav.com is offering Optoma HD20 home theater bundle, inlcuding brand new HD20 projector, elitech screen, projector mount, and cable. You can choose the screen from manual screen, electric screen, or fixed frame screen at different size. The price is very good.
post #2499 of 3996 Old 09-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo_ca View Post

First time projector owner and went with a HD200X. I just had a question about dlp/projectors in general.

When I get close to the screen (about 12 inches) I can see the individual pixels (not the problem) but they appear to be rapidly changing color/flickering, even in areas where there is no change in color or movement (e.g a title) in the picture.

Is this normal for any dlp projector or is this a connection issue (i.e. a bad hdmi cable). The projector is connected to the output of my Pioneer receiver and the source is a ps3, if that helps.

Thanks

Yes, this effects is normal for DLP. The mirrors vibrate (deflect light) at a frequency to change brightness of each pixel. The black level, the darkest the pixel can get is based on 2 things. The deflection angle, which with Darkchip2 is not 100% deflection. And second, the frequency. Since the mirrors can not stay in the deflected position for very long. The best they can do is have it deflected more often than not.

Anyway, there is a 2nd part to this flickering that you have some control over. The video processor. The issue is more noticeable in solid areas and in dark areas. The better the processor, the better the noise is controlled. But you can reduce the issue by changing some settings.

On the HD70 you could not use Brilliant Color and reduce contrast and sharpness.

On the HD20, I find that if I keep the sharpness between 0-7 it helps a lot. Also I keep contrast at default, which I will have to get that number, but I think it's 0. I will check some other settings on the HD20 specifically.

Basically the more neutral you can keep the picture, the better. The effect generally gets worse when you try to make the image "pop" a lot. With settings such as high contrast, high sharpness, high vivid colors.

You likely noticed that if you pause a dark scene, or use a computer to projector a dark picture or a black image (not the projector built in images), that the flickering pixels are there. Once you have that on the screen, then adjust the picture at your closest normal viewing distance until the effect is reduced to your taste. It doesn't have to disappear at 12" away, just at your viewing distance.

But yes, normal DLP effect. At least for the single DarkChip2 DLPs I have seen under $2k. More expensive video processors combined with newer DMD chips do improve on this.
post #2500 of 3996 Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Nasuno - Thanks for the reply, put my mind at ease

xenon2000

Thanks for taking the time to provide a newbie with the information and advice. I guessed it had something to do with the mirrors.

The reason I thought it might be the source was that during the shutdown, the warning image that says "are you sure" does not display the "flickering" pixels for the colors.

But you are both right, not visible from my viewing distance.

Thanks again.
post #2501 of 3996 Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo_ca View Post

Nasuno - Thanks for the reply, put my mind at ease

xenon2000

Thanks for taking the time to provide a newbie with the information and advice. I guessed it had something to do with the mirrors.

The reason I thought it might be the source was that during the shutdown, the warning image that says "are you sure" does not display the "flickering" pixels for the colors.

But you are both right, not visible from my viewing distance.

Thanks again.

That is correct, you will not see the effect with no source or with the menu items and other built in video outputs. I am betting those items get to the DMD after the video processor and not before. I guess I was trying to explain too much at once. I don't know the flow chart for when the menu video in in relationship to the video processor. But the firefly pixel flicker effect only seems to come from the video processor from what I can see on the HD70 and HD20.

I also didn't mean to imply the that flickering is because of the mirrors. Just that the HD20 and other Darkchip2 DMDs can not produce pure zero light black due to the angle of max deflection as well as not being able to lock the mirror for extended lengths of time in the deflected state.

From what I can tell, the flicker per pixel effect seems to be caused by the video processor on lower cost projectors and mostly visible at close range and when the settings are boosting the PQ into less natural upper ranges. I haven't check for it on LCD units, but I imagine it can be there as well.
post #2502 of 3996 Old 09-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefssaltyballs View Post

Ya know, i think the hd20 remote has issues over all. I have noticed that the remote will power on the unit but when you attempt to power off the unit, it often does not work. what i usually have to do is push a different button on the remote (like the mode or menu button) once the remote lights up then i can turn off the PJ. perhaps the issue goes deeper than the remote???? Hmmmmm I too have a harmony remote but have not tried to use it with the pj yet...
cfsb

I have noticed this too but I think it is designed that way on purpose to avoid an unwanted power down. I discovered that the remote seems to go to sleep. You first need to wake it up--by hitting a button so the lights go on, then make your choice. Once I realized this it is no longer annoying.
post #2503 of 3996 Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM

Hello all,

I've had my HD20 for about a year now and I started experiencing the screen flickers and such a couple months ago. It was infuriating and I came across this forum and decided to send it in to Optoma since it was still under warranty. A few weeks later I got it back and everything was workiing great until about two weeks ago the same thing started happening again. I've had it back less than 2 months!

Is this issue directly related to heat buildup? Will cleaning the unit fix the problem or will it need something more permanent?

Also won't opening my unit to clean it void the warranty? It may not matter since it will be up very soon, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!
post #2504 of 3996 Old 09-14-2010, 06:46 AM

What was written on the work order when you got is back?
post #2505 of 3996 Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 AM

I can't remember exactly (I knew I should have kept it) but I think they just did a firmware update and cleaned it.
post #2506 of 3996 Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM

Mine said something about replacing M/B
post #2507 of 3996 Old 09-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenM3 View Post

I have noticed this too but I think it is designed that way on purpose to avoid an unwanted power down. I discovered that the remote seems to go to sleep. You first need to wake it up--by hitting a button so the lights go on, then make your choice. Once I realized this it is no longer annoying.

Hmmm, I will have to check again. I am pretty sure my lights on the remote are off when I press the "power off" button once and get the message to press a 2nd time to shutdown. And of course 1 more press and it does the shut down. And actually, I don't remember any of my buttons not working the first press when the remote lights are off. I will have to check again. But as you said, after the first press it wouldn't matter anyways.
post #2508 of 3996 Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodofwar View Post

Hello all,

I've had my HD20 for about a year now and I started experiencing the screen flickers and such a couple months ago. It was infuriating and I came across this forum and decided to send it in to Optoma since it was still under warranty. A few weeks later I got it back and everything was workiing great until about two weeks ago the same thing started happening again. I've had it back less than 2 months!

Is this issue directly related to heat buildup? Will cleaning the unit fix the problem or will it need something more permanent?

Also won't opening my unit to clean it void the warranty? It may not matter since it will be up very soon, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

I too have this problem where it flickers. But.... I believe it's the source/signal as well... I have a ps3 hooked up that flickers when playing movies off the hardrive but not when playing a DVD from the same PS3. And.. When I run my Comcast hd box source I get no flicker. When i wAtch movies by connecting my laptop via the VGA port, some movies flicker and some don't. That leads me to believe that it must not be the unit but a source/signal issue. Try changing ur source !
Cfsb
post #2509 of 3996 Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 AM

I get flicker when my computer is hooked up with HDMI. No flicker with RGB.
post #2510 of 3996 Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM

I get flicker if I use hdmi out from pc. So I use a DVI/Hdmi adapter on the pc and run the HDMI cable to PJ, problem solved.
post #2511 of 3996 Old 09-15-2010, 04:12 PM

No this isn't the quick flicker whenever I'm switching petween inputs like from my reciever component input to my PS3 HDMI input. It is a constant flashing and green hue to everything. It happens across all inputs and I had to turn the High Altitude setting on to get it to stop but that only works temporarily. After a couple weeks of High Altitude it happens all the time. The only way I can stop it is to turn it off for a while, then turn it back on. It starts happening again within 5 mins.

GOOD news is that I went and purchased an air compressor and took the cover off and the bulb out. Did a thorough cleaning and it seems to work fine now. I'm going to buy a dust cover for it tonight so dust won't accumulate anymore. At least I know how to fix the problem even if it is a pain taking it down, disassembling, etc...
post #2512 of 3996 Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:

No this isn't the quick flicker whenever I'm switching petween inputs like from my reciever component input to my PS3 HDMI input. It is a constant flashing and green hue to everything. It happens across all inputs and I had to turn the High Altitude setting on to get it to stop but that only works temporarily. After a couple weeks of High Altitude it happens all the time. The only way I can stop it is to turn it off for a while, then turn it back on. It starts happening again within 5 mins.

GOOD news is that I went and purchased an air compressor and took the cover off and the bulb out. Did a thorough cleaning and it seems to work fine now. I'm going to buy a dust cover for it tonight so dust won't accumulate anymore. At least I know how to fix the problem even if it is a pain taking it down, disassembling, etc...

This really sounds like the symptoms of a bad cord. Are you sure your cords are not being nicked or pinched somewhere (like a behind the wall construction error). Maybe try a new set of cords if possible.
post #2513 of 3996 Old 09-18-2010, 04:05 AM

The problem with the color flickering has resurfaced even with High Altitude set to On.

The solution: clean the color wheel axis.

The following instructions is likely to void your warranty and you are solely responsible if you damage your projector.

I have removed the lamp module using the instructions on the manual on pages 42-43 and very carefully cleaned the inside of the projector and the fan using a compressed air can.

The problem was the accumulation of dust around the axis of the color wheel. I have cleaned using very short bursts of air directly to the axis.

Be very careful not to touch or blow air on the glass of the color wheel because you will break it and it is very expensive to replace. I slowly rotated the axis using an ear cotton bud directly on the metal axis and not the glass.

Keep the High Altitude setting to On.

Hopefully this fix will last some months.
post #2514 of 3996 Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optomahd20 View Post

The problem with the color flickering has resurfaced even with High Altitude set to ON.

The solution: clean the color wheel axis.

The following instructions will void your warranty and you are solely responsible if you destroy your projector.

I have removed the lamp module using the instructions on the manual on pages 42-43 and very carefully cleaned the inside of the projector and the fan using a compressed air can.

The problem was the accumulation of dust around the axis of the color wheel. I have cleaned using very short bursts of air directly to the axis.

Be very careful not to touch or blow air on the glass of the color wheel because you will break it and it is very expensive to replace. I slowly rotated the axis using an ear cotton bud directly on the metal axis and not the glass.

So you had sent it in on the warranty too right? After I cleaned my projector it is working again but I still have to keep it in High Altitude mode. I have a feeling there will be issues like this frequently. I just hope I won't have to clean it every week. If it's every couple months that will be fine.
post #2515 of 3996 Old 09-19-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:

So you had sent it in on the warranty too right? After I cleaned my projector it is working again but I still have to keep it in High Altitude mode. I have a feeling there will be issues like this frequently. I just hope I won't have to clean it every week. If it's every couple months that will be fine.

I have not sent it in although it is still on warranty.

The projector has never left its place on top of a shelf from the first time of installation 10 months ago.

Perhaps the underlying issue is that it is horizontally placed and so it accumulates much more dust as if it was mounted upside-down on the ceiling.

I believe that this might happen again in a few months but it is quite bearable when you think about its features compared to the rest of the market for under $1,000.
post #2516 of 3996 Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 AM

Well it started happening again. I tried gently cleaning the color wheel as well, but the problem still comes back pretty quickly. I am at my wits end and don't know what else to do. I think I may have voided the warranty too by opening it up. I just don't know why it would have happenned again so soon after it was "fixed" by the warranty.
post #2517 of 3996 Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Well it started happening again. I tried gently cleaning the color wheel as well, but the problem still comes back pretty quickly. I am at my wits end and don't know what else to do. I think I may have voided the warranty too by opening it up. I just don't know why it would have happenned again so soon after it was "fixed" by the warranty.

If you cleaned from the lamp area your warranty should not be voided.

Cleaning the wheel may not be enough; I think it is more the speed sensor for the color wheel that gets dirty and needs to be cleaned.

I would suggest a vacuum cleaning of that area and lastly if that does not resolve it perhaps some compressed air but not from a can use a compressor with it set to a low pressure.

Rew
post #2518 of 3996 Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Any one bought an Optoma HD20 Bundle from professionalav.com?
Please share your experiance with us.
post #2519 of 3996 Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Man, I have only had my HD20 for 8 months. And so far no flickering issues. And I haven't cleaned it and I hope to never clean it. I had the HD70 before this, for 3 years. And never once cleaned it or replaced a bulb. And never had any issues. No dust issues. No flickering, etc. No issues.

I specifically went DLP again because I didn't want to deal with filters and cleaning of an LCD unit. So if the HD20 ends up needing dust cleanings, I won't be happy. And then all I can say if that I hope it dies within 2 years so I can compain to Costco and hopefully get it replaced with something else.

Otherwise, I haven't had any real issues yet with my HD20 and I just need it to last 3-4 years.
post #2520 of 3996 Old 09-19-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

Man, I have only had my HD20 for 8 months. And so far no flickering issues. And I haven't cleaned it and I hope to never clean it. I had the HD70 before this, for 3 years. And never once cleaned it or replaced a bulb. And never had any issues. No dust issues. No flickering, etc. No issues.

I specifically went DLP again because I didn't want to deal with filters and cleaning of an LCD unit. So if the HD20 ends up needing dust cleanings, I won't be happy. And then all I can say if that I hope it dies within 2 years so I can compain to Costco and hopefully get it replaced with something else.

Otherwise, I haven't had any real issues yet with my HD20 and I just need it to last 3-4 years.

My HD70 is over 3 year old now and still on the original bulb. I never once cleaned anything.

Is there a throw difference between the HD70 and the HD20? I hope it's the same in case I replace my HD70 with an HD20. Thanks.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page