Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 3996 Old 09-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodofwar View Post

Well it started happening again. I tried gently cleaning the color wheel as well, but the problem still comes back pretty quickly. I am at my wits end and don't know what else to do. I think I may have voided the warranty too by opening it up. I just don't know why it would have happenned again so soon after it was "fixed" by the warranty.

Is High Altitude still On?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

If you cleaned from the lamp area your warranty should not be voided.

Cleaning the wheel may not be enough; I think it is more the speed sensor for the color wheel that gets dirty and needs to be cleaned.

I would suggest a vacuum cleaning of that area and lastly if that does not resolve it perhaps some compressed air but not from a can use a compressor with it set to a low pressure.

Rew

Thank you for your input.

It's been a week since I cleaned the axis and the problem has not resurfaced.

You might be right that it isn't just the color wheel axis.

Do you happen to know the exact location of the speed sensor? Is it before the color wheel towards the lamp or after it?

Is it electronic or mechanical?

Can it be cleaned from within the lamp module space or does it require further disassembly of the projector?

Does anyone have by any chance a service manual for this projector?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3996 Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Received my replacement HD20 from New egg and fired it up tonight. I replaced my HTPC that powered my HD30 with a Panasonic Blu Ray Player connected to an onkyo Reciever thru HDMI. With the out of the box settings it looked pretty nice. Black level isn't Inky Black but its respectable. Detail seems a little Lackluster, there's pop to the image but the two disks I screened hardly were not reference King Kong the Jackson Blu Ray and Apploosa. I'll have to search here for some good settings. Two miscalculations thou. I looked up the specs on the HD20 and it looked like the min throw distance pretty much matched up with the HD30 I had, the mount in the same spot roughly 11.2 ft back is too large for my 96" screen even on the smallest zoom setting. So it looks like I'll need to go back a foot or so, might have to go from a 25ft HDMI to 30 ft or so thou if I do, the HD30 was professionally hung and I'm gonna have to figure this one out myself.

So far thou pretty please for the $899 I paid.
post #2523 of 3996 Old 09-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Hi Eveyone,

Does anyone knows about the HD20 and HD180, are they the same other than the fact that Contrast Ratio on the HD180 is 3500:1 and 4000:1 with
the HD20. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
post #2524 of 3996 Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Sorry if it's been covered already, but 85 pages is a lot to sift through.

Has anyone had an issue of not being able to access all of the menu? I am trying to get to the display and image menu and can only access the system and setup menu. When i toggle the up or down arrow it only goes between system and setup.

I do not have a receiver hooked up yet as I am only trying to line up the screen and get the PJ set. Do I need to be hooked up to a source input to access the other to menu items or is this some sort of other issue?

Thanks in advance!
post #2525 of 3996 Old 10-02-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 View Post

Sorry if it's been covered already, but 85 pages is a lot to sift through.

Has anyone had an issue of not being able to access all of the menu? I am trying to get to the display and image menu and can only access the system and setup menu. When i toggle the up or down arrow it only goes between system and setup.

I do not have a receiver hooked up yet as I am only trying to line up the screen and get the PJ set. Do I need to be hooked up to a source input to access the other to menu items or is this some sort of other issue?

Thanks in advance!

You have to provide an active input in order to be able to navigate to the Image and Display sub menu.

If you can't provide an active input yet, you can roughly set it up using System > Test Pattern > Grid and/or White.
post #2526 of 3996 Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 AM

Yeah I did that but I needed to keystone just a little....and that's in one of the other menus. No prob, my receiver should be here today. Thanks for the help.
post #2527 of 3996 Old 10-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

My HD70 is over 3 year old now and still on the original bulb. I never once cleaned anything.

Is there a throw difference between the HD70 and the HD20? I hope it's the same in case I replace my HD70 with an HD20. Thanks.

Just use the Projector Central Calculator to compare the two projectors. But I can quickly tell you this, the HD70 and HD20 have difference image offset %. And the HD20 doesn't have image shift, so either the screen and/or projector's height will have to change at the very least.
post #2528 of 3996 Old 10-02-2010, 01:59 PM

Liked: 12
Just like to add my experience to this thread.

When I first fired mine up new out the box, it would run for less than a minute then it would start flickering like crazy and shut down with the leds flashing. I read somewhere, probably here, that the bulb break in should be in bright mode. After putting it in bright mode, it shut down a couple more times and then straightened out. When I finally mounted it upside down on the ceiling, I had to go through it all over again. Once the lamp got broken in, it performed flawlessly without the slightest hint of lamp problems. It was kinda scary and I almost decided to send it back as defective. They really should pre burn in the bulb before shipping.

"If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much space."
post #2529 of 3996 Old 10-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzolio View Post

Just like to add my experience to this thread.

When I first fired mine up new out the box, it would run for less than a minute then it would start flickering like crazy and shut down with the leds flashing. I read somewhere, probably here, that the bulb break in should be in bright mode. After putting it in bright mode, it shut down a couple more times and then straightened out. When I finally mounted it upside down on the ceiling, I had to go through it all over again. Once the lamp got broken in, it performed flawlessly without the slightest hint of lamp problems. It was kinda scary and I almost decided to send it back as defective. They really should pre burn in the bulb before shipping.

Hmmm, I don't see how any projector should act that way. And I have never heard of any "break in" period for any projector. Meaning I have never seen it listed in a projector manual. Looking at the HD20 manual, I also do not see that process listed. My HD20 has never had that flicker issue. If you have the option, I would either have Optoma repair it or get an exchange for another unit. Because that is not normal and not the way it should be.

I know people have opinions on "bulb" burn in, but I have not seen it ever mentioned in any manuals. Not that I have seen every manual ever made. But it doesn't sound right. And even if a projector did have a burn in process, it would be odd for the projector to act funny during the burn in process. The only reason for the process should be for color rendition and bulb life optimization. But the projector itself should respond and display normally during any burn in process. And for any projector, if it doesn't act as you would expect, I would return it, exchange it, or send it in for repair.
post #2530 of 3996 Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey61 View Post

Yeah I did that but I needed to keystone just a little....and that's in one of the other menus. No prob, my receiver should be here today. Thanks for the help.

You probably have your receiver already. But you could have also just plugged in your source to the HD20 without the receiver to access the other menus.

Also as you likely already know, digital keystone will be most noticeable with text and straight lines if you are using a computer with the projector. Such as an HTPC. I have been happy with DVD and BD rendering on many new projectors using keystoning. But never happy with the artifacts when using a computer with the projectors with keystoning. So now I make sure I don't use any keystoning because I have been using an HTPC for years for PC games, web browsing, hulu, youtube, home photo and video presentations of trips, etc.

If you have a fixed screen you can likely angle the screen instead of keystoning. If you have a hanging screen or the wall, you will have to raise or lower your projector.
post #2531 of 3996 Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Around 2500 hours, owned for less then a year, has worked flawlessly until about a few days ago. Noticed mainly on skin tones the picture is blurry/blotchy, I guess in certain red tones, not at all detailed as it use to be. Should I try and clean it? Send it in? Is it under warranty still?
post #2532 of 3996 Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 AM

I don't know if you have played with these settings or not. But I've as many hours as you and settings close to these have served me well.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/proje...l#post10180448
Also give your focus ring a little tweak because they are pretty loose.
I know my advice may not be helpful as you stated it was a recent condition. I'm just advising you to review the basics before you send it in.
post #2533 of 3996 Old 10-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasuno View Post

I don't know if you have played with these settings or not. But I've as many hours as you and settings close to these have served me well.
Also give your focus ring a little tweak because they are pretty loose.
I know my advice may not be helpful as you stated it was a recent condition. I'm just advising you to review the basics before you send it in.

The focus is perfect when I do the grid and anything else. Its just the skin mainly that is really blurry and blotchy looking, no detail, black and white is fine. Really weird. Maybe its dusty/dirty, something to do with the color wheel? Any experts on this? I basically have no clu and would rather fix it myself if I can.
post #2534 of 3996 Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 PM

In my set up I have an extra unused s-video wire that comes out at the projector. I want to use the s-video for my old x box. For movies & TV, I currently run my blue ray and stb using hdmi/component.

The HD20 only offers composite and VGA as my other options. I have tried and an s-video to composite adapter that I bought from amazon. The color was reaaallly bad. Maybe it was a bad adapter. I tried a few sources, same bad color.

I thought I would try an VGA to S video adapter to get a "better" type of connector. I get the part, and plug it in ..nothing. I look at the package--Doh! It is for Video OUT. (For connecting a tv to a laptop.) I guess the signal cannot travel both ways.

The question is, what kind of adapter has anyone used in their HD20 --either HDMI/VGA/Composite to an s-video "IN" that will work?

Thanks for any advice.
post #2535 of 3996 Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuollet1 View Post

Around 2500 hours, owned for less then a year, has worked flawlessly until about a few days ago. Noticed mainly on skin tones the picture is blurry/blotchy, I guess in certain red tones, not at all detailed as it use to be. Should I try and clean it? Send it in? Is it under warranty still?

You said you have owned it for less than a year. So yes, it is still under warranty and I would send it in while you still can.
post #2536 of 3996 Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenM3 View Post

In my set up I have an extra unused s-video wire that comes out at the projector. I want to use the s-video for my old x box. For movies & TV, I currently run my blue ray and stb using hdmi/component.

The HD20 only offers composite and VGA as my other options. I have tried and an s-video to composite adapter that I bought from amazon. The color was reaaallly bad. Maybe it was a bad adapter. I tried a few sources, same bad color.

I thought I would try an VGA to S video adapter to get a "better" type of connector. I get the part, and plug it in ..nothing. I look at the package--Doh! It is for Video OUT. (For connecting a tv to a laptop.) I guess the signal cannot travel both ways.

The question is, what kind of adapter has anyone used in their HD20 --either HDMI/VGA/Composite to an s-video "IN" that will work?

Thanks for any advice.

The best solution is an HDMI receiver for surround sound and upconverting. Mine will convert all inputs to HDMI or Component out. But that might be an uipgrade you don't want right now.

Or an xbox (non-360) VGA cable.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...en-70-1g6.html

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store...6125&source=fr

I have not used either one of these cables and I have not used this store. But the item does exist. But I have seen reports around the net that VGA out with the xbox does not work with all games and TV/Monitors.

Which makes the best solution still the receiver. Doesn't the xbox have a component option as well? Since VGA is likely not a realistic option. That only leaves the S video out from your xbox. Which hopefully isn't your best DVD player as you can do much better with a cheap $50 upconverting 1080p HDMI out DVD player on the HD20.
post #2537 of 3996 Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM

xbox 360 does have a component option

BSC
post #2538 of 3996 Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 PM

I have enjoyed my hd20 a great deal. but this weekend the image of reds and on faces started having bright spots (hot spots maybe) and after 20 minutes the image flickers and turns gray/green ish. Is this an issue a lamp replacement will fix, just cleaning necessary or should I send it in for service?

P.S. issue started after projector was left on for some time with no image ... could have been overnight. 1600 hours on the bulb.

BSC
post #2539 of 3996 Old 10-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottclark View Post

xbox 360 does have a component option

Yes it does. What and who is this comment directed at? If it's about the VGA comments recently, they are using a non-360, the original xbox. Which the original also has a component option. But they don't have a receiver and it sounds like the only unused inputs on the HD20 they have left is the VGA and S-video.

But maybe your comment was for something else. I don't know.
post #2540 of 3996 Old 10-13-2010, 11:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottclark View Post

Is this an issue a lamp replacement will fix, just cleaning necessary or should I send it in for service?

Definitely not a lamp issue. I would suspect a color wheel axis or sensor issue as mentioned up-thread. If it is still under warranty I would send it in, otherwise try cleaning as mentioned in earlier posts before sending it in for service.
post #2541 of 3996 Old 10-14-2010, 04:57 PM

Anyone have the HEX CODES for the remote for the HD20?? I am programming a Crestron Prodigy system and we don't have a learner to extract the HEX codes from the remote. I need at least the on and off, but would love to have them all. If anyone can help, let me know.
post #2542 of 3996 Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon2000 View Post

Hmmm, I don't see how any projector should act that way. And I have never heard of any "break in" period for any projector. Meaning I have never seen it listed in a projector manual. Looking at the HD20 manual, I also do not see that process listed. My HD20 has never had that flicker issue. If you have the option, I would either have Optoma repair it or get an exchange for another unit. Because that is not normal and not the way it should be.

I know people have opinions on "bulb" burn in, but I have not seen it ever mentioned in any manuals. Not that I have seen every manual ever made. But it doesn't sound right. And even if a projector did have a burn in process, it would be odd for the projector to act funny during the burn in process. The only reason for the process should be for color rendition and bulb life optimization. But the projector itself should respond and display normally during any burn in process. And for any projector, if it doesn't act as you would expect, I would return it, exchange it, or send it in for repair.

I've put a few hours on it since the flickering ceased and it hasn't come back so for the time being I'll assume it was a lamp burn in issue. Somewhere, maybe here, I read a bout it and how you're supposed to to run it in bright mode for the first 3 or 4 hours.

On another note, after reading about all the color wheel issues, I'm wondering if I might have gone with the wrong projector.

My Acer PH 530 has been absolutely flawless. It too is a low end projector. Maybe I should have gone with another Acer instead of this Optima.

"If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much space."
post #2543 of 3996 Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzolio View Post

I've put a few hours on it since the flickering ceased and it hasn't come back so for the time being I'll assume it was a lamp burn in issue. Somewhere, maybe here, I read a bout it and how you're supposed to to run it in bright mode for the first 3 or 4 hours.

On another note, after reading about all the color wheel issues, I'm wondering if I might have gone with the wrong projector.

I never put my HD20 through a burn-in, 1,700 hours on the clock, still running strong. Honestly though, if I had experienced your problems that early in its life, I would have assumed that I had a defective unit, or one which was damaged during shipping, and promptly returned it for an exchange.

Unfortunately, the users that have no issues at all frequently remain silent so the impression that is left is that the projector is doing this to everyone.

If it even comes close to repeating what you described again, take advantage of that warranty and get it repaired.
post #2544 of 3996 Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Wondering if someone can help me out. My HD20 keeps going out. Happened yesterday twice for first time. No warning shot saying "overheating" or "replace lamp", just shuts off. Lamp has 870 hrs of use. I noticed fan doesn't seem to be on high anymore but still runs. The light indicators flash an amber on On/Off and solid red on the bulb. I unplug the projector and let it cool down and it'll turn on. After 45 mins, same black out. Any clues?

Bob
post #2545 of 3996 Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Problem: I cant seem to get the color balance correct. What should be white is slightly blue, what should be red or purple, is a dark brown nearing black.

Background: I bought the projector about 5 months ago and it was working fine. I had a problem with it over heating a couple of times. Went away for work and when I came back, noticed the problem.

Other Info: I am relatively new to the whole HT thing. I am currently living in Kigali, Rwanda (East Africa) so it can get quite a bit dusty. The projector is mounted on the ceiling. I use it connected to a laptop through a standard monitor cable.

Please, any help anyone can throw my way would be very, very much appreciated.
post #2546 of 3996 Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNegative View Post

Unfortunately, the users that have no issues at all frequently remain silent so the impression that is left is that the projector is doing this to everyone.

I think that's probably accurate. I got my HD20 about a week ago from Amazon. My first projector. I projected mostly streaming content from Netflix on one of my living room walls at about 50 odd inches, using a macbook as a source, and I thought it looked great (largest display I had ever owned up to that point).

A couple days ago I finished a 110" semi-transportable DIY screen; installed a blu-ray drive in my desktop PC, and have been watching movies practically non-stop for 2 days now... just completely amazed by how huge and gorgeous the picture is... Makes me want to go out and re-rent all of my old favorites, especially films I missed in the theater, just to see what they look like on a proper screen.

So... its not all doom and gloom in this thread, and if I ever have any questions or issues its nice to know there's a dedicated community to talk to.
post #2547 of 3996 Old 10-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I too am busy watching movies playing, xbox to post. I am subscribed and read weekly. Love this thing and almost finished upgrading surround sound to compliment.
post #2548 of 3996 Old 10-20-2010, 03:17 PM

HD65 or HD20?
For small room, both throw and viewing distance 8 ft, screen size 76". Only watch Blu-ray movies, is 1080p necessary? Thanks!
post #2549 of 3996 Old 10-20-2010, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've had mine well over a year, with around 2000 hours on the bulb, and zero problems.
Thought I'd chime in and represent the silent majority.
post #2550 of 3996 Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryso View Post

HD65 or HD20?
For small room, both throw and viewing distance 8 ft, screen size 76". Only watch Blu-ray movies, is 1080p necessary? Thanks!

I don't know what prices you are getting for either, but the HD65 generally will only save you $200. I personally think $200 is worth about double the resolution.

Though since you are considering the HD65, you may as well save even more money and get the 3D ready 720p HD66. Which is often $300 cheaper than the HD20. BUT, I went from the 720p HD70 to 1080p and I think even $300 is worth 1080p. Then the question becomes if you really want to get into the expensive 3D bandwagon within the next 6 months. Glasses are $150-200 each. Plus you need the transmitter, 3D player such as the PS3 or other BD player, plus 3D content which is very little right now.

I figure by the time there is a ton of 3D content, I will be ready for a 3D version of a 1080p projector. In the meantime, I do think 1080p is helpful and noticeable for large screens. If you are going to do a 100" or larger screen and sit within 15 feet, you will likely appreciate the extra res of 1080p over 720p.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page