*Unofficial* Mitsubishi HC3800 Thread - Page 213 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6361 of 6379 Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using windows 8 but I connected my camcorder with a different hdmi cable and the problem was still there. I bought this projector new but it was in the box for over a year until last year when I finished my room so this is my first bulb that came with it. So it's out of warranty. I don't think I noticed the problem when I first started using it but it is definitely there now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6379 Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have you tried applying some of the settings earlier in this thread? I am using a grey screen which will have slightly different settings from a white screen. Your bulb changes a lot in the first hundred hours, so it's not to surprising that you are seeing a difference.

How did you find this projector new a year ago, it came out in 2009? I've had mine for over 4 years.
post #6363 of 6379 Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 AM

I've had this well over a year I bought it late 2010 I used it for like a month in my bonus room and decided that it was too small for the projector and I then decided to turn my garage into my HT room. I put it back in the box and it stayed there until late 2012. So I don't remember it being a problem when I first used it but it's there now. I don't even watch the projector now cause the glare or cloudiness makes my eyes hurt. Yes I've tried all kinds of different settings from this thread and other sites. My screen is white.
post #6364 of 6379 Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I assume that you've cleaned the lens. I can't think what would be causing it.
post #6365 of 6379 Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 PM

I feel like such an idiot. It was the lens after all. It wasn't dust though it was some kind of film on it maybe from using the fireplace else I don't know what or how it got there.  I had to take it off the ceiling mount to see it. I used a microfiber cloth to clean it and the glow was gone. Thanks to all for your help.

post #6366 of 6379 Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That's good news. Mine is still going strong with about 2500 hours on the bulb.
post #6367 of 6379 Old 07-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Liked: 0
Mitsubishi Hc3800 vs BenQ W770ST

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first projector and joined this forum to ask some questions.

Right now, I'm looking to get either a gently used Mitsubishi Hc3800 with 700 hours of viewing time at around $350

or

a new BenQ W770ST at $500.

I know that the Hc3800 was a much higher end product at the time of its release, but considering all the advances in technologies in the past 5 years, which would be a better deal? Also, lack of 3D is not an issue for me at all. I'll be viewing art house movies on Blu Ray.

Thanks in advance for the replies!
post #6368 of 6379 Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 470
I have over 2000 hours on my 3800. Your price is only slightly more than the cost of a new lamp bulb for it, so it's a reasonably good deal.

At one point there was a promo which provided a new bulb for free. You might ask if the previous owner took advantage of it, which might explain the low hours.

Make sure the firmware in the 3800 is up to date. The initial release had a tendency to shut down the projector when it received a signal it didn't like.

I have no experience with the BenQ, so can't comment there.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #6369 of 6379 Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Please recommend reputable lamp / bulb vendor

I've had my HC3800 for a number of years now. It came with a free replacement bulb, which is currently in use. I'd like to buy either a replacement lamp with housing, or a replacement lamp (and then replace the bulb in the existing housing by myself) so that I have it on hand for when the existing one reaches end of life. I've looked at the replacements available on Amazon.com and I noticed that there's a good number of bad reviews -- people that aren't happy because they got a replacement with restricted ventilation in a "compatible" housing, etc.

Where can I buy a factory replacement bulb, or bulb with housing, that is a reputable source and offers a fair price?

Thank you,
bjw122
post #6370 of 6379 Old 10-24-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjw122 View Post
I've had my HC3800 for a number of years now. It came with a free replacement bulb, which is currently in use. I'd like to buy either a replacement lamp with housing, or a replacement lamp (and then replace the bulb in the existing housing by myself) so that I have it on hand for when the existing one reaches end of life. I've looked at the replacements available on Amazon.com and I noticed that there's a good number of bad reviews -- people that aren't happy because they got a replacement with restricted ventilation in a "compatible" housing, etc.

Where can I buy a factory replacement bulb, or bulb with housing, that is a reputable source and offers a fair price?

Thank you,
bjw122
this the best place I know that has a 100% original OEM HC3800 lamp with housing for this price. It says pre-order because they don't keep it in stock and order it from the manufacturer when you place the order. I called after ordering mine and they said it takes 10 days to get it from the manufacturer and then a few more to get to you. Mine came in the Mitsubishi box with the manufacturer's warranty. It's an exact match to the one that came with my HC3800.

http://www.projectorlampexperts.com/...ProductID=8050

They also have good info on how to spot fake lamps http://www.projectorlampexperts.com/...tYourself.aspx

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #6371 of 6379 Old 10-24-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yow $250 for a bulb for a projector this old! But I agree, oem is best!
post #6372 of 6379 Old 10-24-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah they use to go for just over $300 so $250 is better, but still high. An OEM "equivalent" as some sellers call them are about $170 so I'd rather pay $250 for a true OEM and not have to deal with a possible lamp failure. Especially when my 3800 still throws a great picture.

post #6373 of 6379 Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Legairre -

Thank you for the info, that's very helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to address my questions. I have a follow up question. What's the difference between the bulb that you recommended for $250 and the ones sold on Amazon for around $80? There are multiple postings like this one on Amazon, and I'm wondering if these are just sub-standard, non-OEM bulbs, regardless of what the advertisements say on Amazon?

I tried to post a URL to the bulbs I was finding on Amazon, but I'm not allowed to use URL's in this forum because I'm still a newbie. However, if you go to Amazon.com and search for "HC3800 lamp" you will find them quickly.

Thank you,
bjw122

Last edited by bjw122; 10-25-2014 at 10:14 AM.
post #6374 of 6379 Old 10-25-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Legairre -

Thank you for the info, that's very helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to address my questions. I have a follow up question. What's the difference between the bulb that you recommended for $250 and the ones sold on Amazon for around $80? There are multiple postings like this one on Amazon, and I'm wondering if these are just sub-standard, non-OEM bulbs, regardless of what the advertisements say on Amazon?

I tried to post a URL to the bulbs I was finding on Amazon, but I'm not allowed to use URL's in this forum because I'm still a newbie. However, if you go to Amazon.com and search for "HC3800 lamp" you will find them quickly.

Thank you,
bjw122
Hey glad to help. What you'll usually find with the knock off lamps is either they have an original osram buld with a generic housing that is poorly designed and doesn't allow heat to escape or you'll just get a generic bulb in a generic housing. Looking at the ones on amazon it appears that's what they are selling. Unfortunately buying a so called OEM equivalent instead of a true OEM is a roll of the dice and most people don't have good luck with them.

post #6375 of 6379 Old 10-25-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Legairre -

Thank you,
bjw122
Brother, I cannot say this loudly enough...... BUY OEM AND NOTHING ELSE!!!!

I have tried several OEM "equivalents" over the years and the VERY BEST outcome I had was 1/2 the life for 1/2 the price life. Yep, I have tried these "deals" and NEVER would I do it again. Buy the OEM or nothing at all.

FYI, OEM retailers list was on the Mitsubishi web site as of about 4 months ago when I needed a new Lamp. BTW: A "BULB" is the the light part inside. A "LAMP" is the light part PLUS the housing.
post #6376 of 6379 Old 10-26-2014, 06:47 AM

Roger that, appreciate the advice based on your experience! I'll look at the Mitsubishi website to try to find that OEM retailers list you mentioned too.

Ok, so in the least I'm going to buy an OEM bulb, got it. Can I save considerable money by replacing the bulb in my existing housing, versus buying a whole new lamp? I found these instructions on how to replace the bulb in the housing, so I could just buy an OEM bulb (from a reputable dealer), and replace it. Any advice on that approach?
post #6377 of 6379 Old 10-26-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Roger that, appreciate the advice based on your experience! I'll look at the Mitsubishi website to try to find that OEM retailers list you mentioned too.

Ok, so in the least I'm going to buy an OEM bulb, got it. Can I save considerable money by replacing the bulb in my existing housing, versus buying a whole new lamp? I found these instructions on how to replace the bulb in the housing, so I could just buy an OEM bulb (from a reputable dealer), and replace it. Any advice on that approach?
Yes actually. I have tried buying just the bulb a couple of times and my old housings were so heat stressed that I really should not have reused them. They only lasted one year. Not bad since they only cost like $75 on Amazon. And I even once tried an OEM bulb placed in an aftermarket housing (purchased as one unit) and that one did not work at all. After those three attempts I decided never again. I have used about 4 OEM Lamps (complete assembly) and NEVER an issue. I debated trying the OEM bulb and switching it out myself as I did before, but decided to not because of how many hours were on the housing now. It would just be too heat stressed to reuse. The plastic and wires are really brittle.

I know $300 is a hard pill, but it is the only sure way to not get crap. I think bulbs are like cell phones nowadays where there is so much counterfeiting and outright lying. You take a gamble. Btw, I purchased my OEM bulb (Osram 230/0.8 E20.8 / BULB15 Factory Original Replacement Bulb Only) from Electrified on Amazon Feb 2013. I bought my OEM Lamp (complete assembly) in June from Projector People.

And in case you're wondering why I have had so many lamp replacements... These include friends' displays in addition to mine. From now on I tell them to just spend the money and buy the OEM Lamp. Then I don't get calls from them with issues afterwords.
post #6378 of 6379 Old 11-12-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The latest software Mitsubishi hc3800

I have a mitsubishi hc3800. Yesterday mitsu shut down a few times. What is the latest software and how hc3800 updated? Do you have the link to the software? I have a mitsubishi connected to the computer? Sometimes you can watch 5 movies without any interference, but sometimes the projector will turn off a couple of times during one movie. Lamp has been viewed 270 hours. Mitsubishi firmware is now 3.0. I change my cable lenght to 15-25m, but that wont help (maybe little).

Sry my english.

Thx.
post #6379 of 6379 Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukiwf1 View Post
I have a mitsubishi hc3800. Yesterday mitsu shut down a few times. What is the latest software and how hc3800 updated? Do you have the link to the software? I have a mitsubishi connected to the computer? Sometimes you can watch 5 movies without any interference, but sometimes the projector will turn off a couple of times during one movie. Lamp has been viewed 270 hours. Mitsubishi firmware is now 3.0. I change my cable lenght to 15-25m, but that wont help (maybe little).

Sry my english.

Thx.
The latest firmware I'm aware of from a couple of years ago was 6.0. The firmware can only be updated by Mitsubishi so you'd have to contact them and send it to them. I searched my emails and I called them at 1-888-307-0309 several years ago to get an RMA to send it in for a firmware update.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc3800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page